• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hot takes thread, safer edition

Eh maybe I'm basing my dislike off of valorant on my general dislike of FPS nowadays.

Overwatch is really smelly tho.

Because I wasn't particularly interested in the game to begin with. I just wanted to see what the hype was all about.
No, fair enough. But you are basing your perception on what is basically youtube entertainment, not really what the game actually offers. There is nothing inherently cringy or weird about Valorant, just youtubers deciding that they want to make a certain type of content in it.

Heres all my Hot takes in one post

Jujutsu Kaisen is the very definition Of Mid Shonen, it does everything competently but nothing exceptionally

Death Note's second half isn't only weaker than the first it's a massive nose dive with writing so hilariously bad that it makes a ton of other anime/manga series that get shat on on for having bad endings look good.

The Pain arc in Naruto is good but overrated, theres at least 3 arcs better than it.

One Piece is just as flawed or good as the rest of the big three, and i think this massive gap between One Piece's apparently quality and the rest of the big three is exaggerated, also some flaws are likely forgiven out of sunk cost fallacy.

Ichigo is a neat protagonist.

When Marnie was there is one of Ghibli's best movies

Black Clover has no great Villains

Okay now for the non weeb shit

God of War 2018 is compelling story tied to a mediocre game

Bioshock Infinite is bad

Spider Man 2 (2004) is overrated and has a cluster **** of a plot

Infinity war is bad

Into the Spiderverse is by and far the best spider man film

Winnie The Pooh has based lore

The Lighthouse is peak 2019

Star Wars TLJ is cool

Seventh Generation of consoles is the ugliest

Wonderful 101 is peak gaming action and should be enjoyed by all

Pineapple on Pizza is based

it's okay to like something without having to create a concession of the works flaws every time you talk about it.

Would easily Give Head to a stranger for a million dollars.
1. That's not mid, that's decent if not good.
2. It starts at ep 10.
3. EHHH
4. Nah, OP at least >> Naruto and Bleach.
5. He's mid.
6. No comment.
7. I mean that's kinda true but they at least ok.

1. Combat system is decent, I've never liked - dodge, dodge, dodge, get one hit, dodge- type games though.
2. No comment.
3. No one really praises it like that.
4. It was overrated but it's not HORRIBLE.
5. By far? No. But I do agree and it's a decent margin.
6. Cold take.
7. No comment.
8. Really no comment.
9. Would agree if Nintendo didn't have me using an AC unit as a game console.
10. Agree.
11. I'm revoking your usage of the word based.
12. Now I will admit there is some problems with this take but I agree with it a lot.
13. ...

This one will get my ass eaten but since this is a hot takes thread:

"Their animation is limited dude but they are skill gods!11!!!1" "It's a game dude he's obv god in skill but is limited by gameplay111"

**** these arguments. I could use it in a million other scenarios. Budget is shit? Too ******* bad, that's the best they got, don't try to one-up every feat they do as if they are utter god tiers in skills.

Actually, nevermind, skill threads in general are shit.

I've never played FPS games besides that one time i pirated the first halo game and got a bit bored and quit

"Their animation is limited dude but they are skill gods!11!!!1" "It's a game dude he's obv god in skill but is limited by gameplay111"

**** these arguments. I could use it in a million other scenarios. Budget is shit? Too ******* bad, that's the best they got, don't try to one-up every feat they do as if they are utter god tiers in skills.

Fair, but at the end of the day, I'd much rather participate in a skill thread rather than a hax thread.

Both get annoying, but Skill over Hax any day of the week for me.

I don't mind skill threads and even like them, until people start arguing basically the same damn feats but worded differently and trying to downplay other characters.

Most mangas should learn from JoJo in how it treats hax and character's powers and abilities.
In Jojo, many characters have very unique abilities with their own strength and weakness, quite a few of them being considered hax. These abilities can range from something that seems weak and situational most of the time, like Survivor, Enygma, Death 13 and YoYo-ma to things that are straight up busted and almost guaranteed insta-kills, like Metallica, White album and Weather report. While that is true for most action/fiction series too, there's a big difference in how these abilities are treated in a fight.

For one, all these stands are used to mindblowing perfection in terms of creativity (even The Hand from Okuyasu is used competently) when it comes to both rigging the arena to make an almost useless stand seem overpowered and using an already overpowered stand for killing with max efficiency. This makes even a weak ability seem devastating, and greatly increases the satisfaction of seeing their fights as you can barely predict how the protagonist is going to turn the scales in a fight that seems completely lost.

When other manga handles hax abilities they tend to either
1. Have the character who uses it act with PIS and ignore it, use it scarcely, make very little out of it's potential or use the verse's universal power system to make anyone stronger than the hax user just lol nope and nullify the hax entirely.
2. Have the character who's fighting against said hax user just power straight through it after an emotion burst power up .

While the first one is a waste of potential when it comes to the fight, the second one is a straight up bad message to pass to people and imo affects the storytelling in a negative way.
Instead of rewarding a character for being smart and inventive before a force they cannot beat with power alone, they are legit being rewarded for being headstrong and inflexible when the situation clearly does not call for it.
There are many times in life where you will meet an ordeal you will not be able to power through with just blind raw effort or guts. Being able to stop what you are doing, thinking properly, accepting your own weaknesses and shortcomings, and then looking for more efficient means is how real humans have solved their problems. We simply aren't unstoppable shounen protagonists who can grow past anything if we push ourselves enough. (even if this kind of message is satisfying and a big part of the charm shounen has in general)

Not to mention that as far as combat is concerned
There's 0 difference between giving a character conceptual death hax and big energy beams if both can be tanked and endured the same way in the verse.
There's 0 difference between giving your characters different abilities in a fight if your protagonist can just endure any attacks and overcome any defenses just by rushing at their opponents with enough determination or trying hard enough.
Hax is just pointless as means of ramping up danger in a fight if it can be noped away without real costs or planning.

AP should be allowed to be equalised in the same way speed is, and Speed Equalisation should be equal, if you have different speeds they should all go down to the same level, not by the same multiple

No but seriously, I do get the issue with Skill threads. We all have a general idea of what consitutes skill and what makes some feats more impressive than the other. But it all breaks down when it comes to the little details. Is AnaPre that can only one step ahead, but is more detailed worse or better than AnaPre that can only predict the attack, but can read 3 steps ahead.

But worst is the fact that people naturally want to be in the right, in a topic where a objective right simply dosn't exist. So they devolve into shouting and endurance matches. Personally, I preach a general "Who cares in the end" mindset. Because, even if your favourite verse dosnt end up in the top 5, top 10, top 15 or even top 20. So long it is somewhere around top 50, it is still a more skilled verse than 99% of fiction. That is impressive, no matter how you dice it.

Blueberry muffins are objectively the best flavor of muffin.
Cold ass take. Banana is a VERY, VERY close second. NGL gonna go and say it, banana is the best fruit. When it comes to base flavor it's amazing + banana flavored foods always taste amazing. Watermelon and oranges are up there tho.

Realm of the Mad God is the closest i ever came to being addicted to a game. It was a pixel 2-D (now 3-D unity) mmorpg perma death bullet hell with randomly generated islands and dungeons with player trading based economy. It's incredible how entertaining something that gets as unfair as losing 2 weeks of work instantly because of a lag spike or a moment of greed can be.

No but seriously, I do get the issue with Skill threads. We all have a general idea of what consitutes skill and what makes some feats more impressive than the other. But it all breaks down when it comes to the little details. Is AnaPre that can only one step ahead, but is more detailed worse or better than AnaPre that can only predict the attack, but can read 3 steps ahead.

But worst is the fact that people naturally want to be in the right, in a topic where a objective right simply dosn't exist. So they devolve into shouting and endurance matches. Personally, I preach a general "Who cares in the end" mindset. Because, even if your favourite verse dosnt end up in the top 5, top 10, top 15 or even top 20. So long it is somewhere around top 50, it is still a more skilled verse than 99% of fiction. That is impressive, no matter how you dice it.
This tbh. People get way too sweaty about skill on this site Istg.

Blueberry muffins are objectively the best flavor of muffin.
Blueberry Muffins are the only type of muffin that matters. The rest shouldn't even exist fr.

“List of Most [Anything]” threads are dumb 99% of the time because it’s usually never who’s actually the strongest, just who’s fanbase is the most persistent/has the best debaters/biggest in pure numbers and can force through votes

There’s probably some obscure visual novel nobody knows about that could easily place on those lists but your AAA games and Animes will place higher in spite of that

This tbh. People get way too sweaty about skill on this site Istg.
Which is really sad, because Skill debates can be the most rewarding debates you can have on this sites. Versus threads are really predictable and offer barely debating options. Its rock paper scissors and sometimes crunching ap values through multipliers. If you pin two wellmade profiles against each other, you can tell from a mile away whose going to win.

Not the same with Skill debates. Its a topic where fantasy, scifi, martial arts and even sports series can compete on even ground. We just can't see the ground sometimes lol

Hot take but no matter how many people try and say it's a dead meme, Rick rolls will work for me always

Even worse when different verses have skill feats so drastically different they can barely compare directly.
Character 1: Has analytical prediction that can predict and dodge millions of attacks from different enemies coming from all directions at once while being 20x slower than said enemies, epic dura neg complex martial arts that are exaggerations of irl concepts that let them amp their stats and inflicts every known type of skill based dura neg, instinctive reaction that lets them dodge attacks that would be impossible to dodge normally.

Character 2: Has 50 layers of scaling massively above regular analytical prediction, resistance to technique mimicry that can copy irl martial arts, fights with mundane techniques consisting of a mix of all irl martial arts while being an amazing effective brawler and having 5000 years of experience in honing each of them, has cellular level precision due to impossible senses, Multiple layers of Instinctive reaction.

Just by the way the same abilities are presented you can tell both verses present skill in drastically different ways and there's no real way to evaluate them without using your own bias to favor one over the other.

Back