• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

High School DXD: Multiple lightspeed statements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found this passage while reading the LN.

"With the remaining wings, Kokabiel tried to go towards the
Vanishing-Dragon, Albion. But he couldn't catch him because he wasn't
able to keep up with the movements that could be said to be as fast as the speed of light."

vol. 3

Unless it's a translation error, wouldn't this make the verse's hier tiers lightspeed and beyond?

"Could be said to be" means that it is most likely allegorical hyperbole.

"Vali must have
touched Ise-kun in speed of light and activated his ability."

Vol. 6

Seems to be a reoccuring thing.

Well, I am not familiar enough with the fiction in question to say either way.

"While my head gets full with despair, a single light passes through my
sight.
It went past the wolf at the speed of light…."

vol. 7

Vali has multiple lightspeed statements from different narrators at this point, seems too consistent to be mere hyperbole.

Something worth considering, most of DxD text is narrated in first person perspective by Issei or other character. So even if there were multiple statements about Lightspeed, doesn't mean it's not a hyperbole and that could still be a character or Issei overreacting to something that's just really fast that their eyes couldn't see it. And something that goes fast enough that a pair of eyes can't see doesn't automatically mean Lightspeed

Maybe. I will highlight the thread for more input.

Light Novels often have flowery terms to them. Look at To Aru for a series that loves to say the characters are Lightspeed, but by feats they are clearly not.

It's basically the Japanese equivalent of "Lightning Fast"

Yes, the question is just if the sheer number of mentions should mean anything in this case?

It wouldn't. At least to some degree. Most of the time the stories are narrated by Issei and we all know hes not the brightest person around to make such statements and not being hyperbolic/exaggerating. All of these lightspeed mention should be taken with a grain of salt. I've only read DxD until volume 20 myself a long while ago & as far as i recall, there's nothing but statement made by characters which most of the time hyperbolic/exaggeration that would solidly put DxD in Lightspeed range speed let alone above that

Okay. Thank you for the input. I have removed the highlight. Should we close this thread then.

It's up to you Ant. If you want some more input regarding this revision then you could keep it open for a little longer. I've only read DxD up until Vol 20 myself while there's already vol 22 currently. Maybe if someone is willing to give more input on this we could have a speed revision for DxD although i doubt it'll reach lightspeed range.

I think I've read to only Volume 20 myself and while there are indeed several mentions of light speed, I agree with Fabtastic Glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back