• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

High 7-A Tournament Round 1, Match 4 (Metagross VS Sanji)

I suppose I should ask some other things that concern me:
1. Do the combatants begin with line of sight to one another?
2. What information is granted to the participants by their prior knowledge?

(I do have some arguments to present, but I wanna be sure about some details. Sorry about my slowness.)

I suppose I should ask some other things that concern me:

(I do have some arguments to present, but I wanna be sure about some details. Sorry about my slowness.)
1. Using SBA they would start at the opponent within the opponent who has less range's range meaning they start at tens of meters

2. Iirc none

Personally I think it would be more fair if metagross had some more distance between him and Sanji and some prep time to avoid getting bullied by someone with vastly superior sensory abilities and AP then him but it's up to OP since regardless it isn't a stomp.

1. Using SBA they would start at the opponent within the opponent who has less range's range meaning they start at tens of meters
Yes, but it's not specified that they're facing towards one another, right?
2. Iirc none
Didn't OP specify that they have prior knowledge? What would be the point of granting prior knowledge if it granted them no knowledge at all?

Also, I slept a really long time, & yet @Sergeant_Hypocrite still couldn't answer my question about the match conditions?!

Using SBA they would start at the opponent within the opponent who has less range's range meaning they start at tens of meters
Starting distance: The characters start as far away from each other as the highest range of the fighters is, but a maximum of 4 kilometers. For example, if one character has a range of 10 meter and the other has a range of 20 meter they start 20 meter apart. However if the range of one character is 10 meter and the range of the other is 5 kilometer, they start only 4 kilometer apart. If extreme advantages are generated via this distance to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread.

Was my vote included because it hasn't changed.

Starting distance: The characters start as far away from each other as the highest range of the fighters is, but a maximum of 4 kilometers. For example, if one character has a range of 10 meter and the other has a range of 20 meter they start 20 meter apart. However if the range of one character is 10 meter and the range of the other is 5 kilometer, they start only 4 kilometer apart. If extreme advantages are generated via this distance to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread.

Was my vote included because it hasn't changed.
Did you vote though? I checked this thread to be on the safe side, Gin and dragonir haven't voted for anyone yet.

I suppose I should clarify why I asked this, since the discussion above doesn't seem to be concerned with the basis of my inquiry.

The user frightens the target with a scary face to harshly lower its Speed stat.

Both are High 7-A, obviously (Mega Metagross and Late Whole Cake island Saga to Early Wano Kuni Saga are used here. Anything above High 7-A is restricted)

Both have prior knowledge of each other.

Speed is equalized

Scary Face is Fear Manipulation. As I learned from checking Sanji's profiles, & the answer to my inquiries earlier in this thread, Sanji does not have Resistance to Fear Manipulation.
HOWEVER, they have prior knowledge of one another, which complicates things.

1. If Sanji's prior knowledge tells him that Metagross can use Fear Manipulation based on making a frightening facial expression to lower Sanji's speed, then Sanji will know to avoid eye contact, & will thus, want to keep himself away from Metagross's face side.

BUT if they start the march FACING EACH OTHER, they may be a brief window of time where Sanji is exposed to facial contact & Metagross can use Scary Face successfully before they lose eye contact. With a successful use, there's a speed disadvantage & further ones can be more easily applied, which could snowball a bit.

2. Meanwhile Metagross is MORE likely to use Scary Face this if it knows Sanji is faster (Although I'm unsure how likely if it knows how much faster; Still, the fewer actions your opponent is taking for every action of your own, the better, usually.), but....

3. Speed is equalized. Which is a match condition, not a property of the characters, isn't it?
Does Prior Knowledge tell them how fast they are WITHOUT Speed Equalized, or how fast they are WITH Speed Equalized?

In the former case, with them knowing one another's speed WITHOUT Speed Equalization, if Metagross knows Sanji is faster, it might not bother trying Scary Face. Likewise, if Sanji knows he's faster, he might not care about avoiding facial contact, which could change how he'd fight, tactically.

This (Among other things.) is why I'm concerned with if they start FACING each other, & what information prior knowledge gives them.

Grace can begin. Note: Grace ends in 24 hours, further arguments can still influence the grace or the outcome of this fight.

Anyway it seems metagross best option is to fight as long as possible and trying blowing Sanji up.

Which I believe is incon if the best thing it can do is incon or lose I think I have to vote Sanji fra but could you clarify the first one.
I have somewhat differing opinions about optimal tactics for Metagross, but I'm interested in answers to my other concerns with this match being addressed.

Sorry for any bother, all.

This (Among other things.) is why I'm concerned with if they start FACING each other, & what information prior knowledge gives them.
Yeah they start facing each other, and afaik prior knowledge would warn both sides that they are at the same speed

Yeah they start facing each other, and afaik prior knowledge would warn both sides that they are at the same speed
Thank you for input on this matter.
Anyway, nonetheless, I'd say that in theory, it's probably better to get a Speed Advantage while you have the opportunity.

Let's say Metagross Scary Faces as soon as the match begins.

Does Sanji know to avoid the facial contact/eye contact because of Prior Knowledge?
& could/would he evade it in time, given his tactics, especially with Prior Knowledge & Speed Equalization involved?

They are 4 kilometers apart but thanks to the buff cap, no speed blitzing thanks to speed equalized and fire kick. Metagross is more likely to incon by blowing up then out right winning as it's explosion one shots comparable opponents in verse.

Thank you for input on this matter.
Anyway, nonetheless, I'd say that in theory, it's probably better to get a Speed Advantage while you have the opportunity.

Let's say Metagross Scary Faces as soon as the match begins.

Does Sanji know to avoid the facial contact/eye contact because of Prior Knowledge?
& could/would he evade it in time, given his tactics, especially with Prior Knowledge & Speed Equalization involved?
He doesn't need to see Metagross. Every participants of Kenbunshoku Haki are forced to wear blindfold while fighting against enemies in order to see their enemies through "Kenbunshoku Haki way". They can sense the presence of others through the "Aura" or "Sillhoute"

Usopp27s_Kenbunshoku_View_1.png

They are 4 kilometers apart but thanks to the buff cap, no speed blitzing thanks to speed equalized and fire kick. Metagross is more likely to incon by blowing up then out right winning as it's explosion one shots comparable opponents in verse.
That argument doesn't apply to other characters/cases. Since Sanji is highly resistant to Fire Manipulation and Heat, not to mention his pain tolerance isn't something you should underestimate.

Contrary to Metagross, Sanji has future sight, precognition and other senses which alerts him to sneak attacks, incoming actions and other things before they happen. Meta blows himself up and pretty much killed himself, while Sanji is out of the explosion's range. How is Metagross going to deal with that? Before you say intelligence, his intelligence doesn't grant him the ability to counter 80% of almost all sense abilities and crazy evasion skills Sanji has.

The longer the fight the stronger Sanji gets via Rage power, he just needs to think about his painful memories of his traumatic training or thinking about "Nami-swan or Robin-swan" to get stronger and faster, thus planning to end the fight as quickly as possible with either Hell memories or Polele a frire (Polele a frire is essentially a barrage of 100 DJ kicks in a second).

There's a cap for buffs & for debuffs?
He doesn't need to see Metagross. Every participants of Kenbunshoku Haki are forced to wear blindfold while fighting against enemies in order to see their enemies through "Kenbunshoku Haki way". They can sense the presence of others through the "Aura" or "Sillhoute"

Usopp27s_Kenbunshoku_View_1.png
So it would be in-character for Sanji to fight with his eyes closed &/or blindfolded during this match?

What's the range on sensing beings (Presumably also non-human) via Haki, for Sanji?

You need 7.5 ap diference to one shot your opponent

There's a cap for buffs & for debuffs?

So it would be in-character for Sanji to fight with his eyes closed &/or blindfolded during this match?

What's the range on sensing beings (Presumably also non-human) via Haki, for Sanji?
He theoretically would do that as both have prior knowledge to each other abilities (All Haki users canonically fought against wild animals or enemies while wearing blindfold, so i genuinely don't see any problem with this scenario), furthermore Sanji out of the monster trio is more the strategically fighter than rushing into a fight without a plan or strategy except ladies are involved.

I don't have the concrete numbers in head, but since Sanji's observation is canonically one of the highest presented in the series, his range should approximately large enough to sense Meta without any difficulty.

Considering the fact that Satori, Gedatsu, Ohm and Shura - Kenbunshoku Haki users in training, could sense everything and everyone within a small City. According to Eneru and Gandolf the more you trains your Kenbunshoku Haki the more it's range increases and further enhances precognition. Then someone like Sanji, who has Advanced Observation Haki, almost comparable to Luffy and Katakuri's, is far superior than any Inept and Rudimentary lvl users

He theoretically would do that as both have prior knowledge to each other abilities (All Haki users canonically fought against wild animals or enemies while wearing blindfold, so i genuinely don't see any problem with this scenario), furthermore Sanji out of the monster trio is more the strategically fighter than rushing into a fight without a plan or strategy except ladies are involved.
I'd say that it's questionable how like an animal Metagross is, being largely inorganic, but there's Aura & a bunch of other stuff that makes me feel like that's not a topic to handle in this thread.

Anyway, given this information & Prior Knowledge, it seems reasonable that Scary Face would not be used, presuming Prior Knowledge tells it Sanji fights in such a manner, especially if Metagross can see that Sanji has his eyes closed. (Not to mention, the dude often has 1 eye covered with that hairstyle anyway; Eye contact isn't as feasible.)
I also doubt Scary Face is gonna work on Sanji.
Given what I said above just now in this post, I agree with what you have said here.
I don't have the concrete numbers in head, but since Sanji's observation is canonically one of the highest presented in the series, his range should approximately large enough to sense Meta without any difficulty.
I appreciate your efforts to provide an estimation, although I do find myself wishing at least 1 of Sanji's profiles listed Range for his Haki abilities. Still, I don't know much about Sanji's Haki range feats & the like, so IDK how many KM away or within he can sense a given being.
Now I just wish I knew what @Lou_change meant by "buff cap" here.

Last edited:
Kenbun users can also see invisible shit like souls.
I'd question that the electromagnetically-flying, supercomputer-comparable spider tank has a soul, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was evidence of Pokemon having souls that is applicable to Metagross, plus, argument from incredulity is a known fallacy.

I'd say that it's questionable how like an animal Metagross is, being largely inorganic, but there's Aura & a bunch of other stuff that makes me feel like that's not a topic to handle in this thread.
Kenbunshoku Haki isn't strictly limited to just "Humans". Rayleigh explicitly explained you could even sense invisible beings or "monsters", Meta is no exception of the rule.

I appreciate your efforts to provide an estimation, although I do find myself wishing at least 1 of Sanji's profiles listed Range for his Haki abilities. Still, I don't know much about Sanji's Haki range feats & the like, so IDK how many KM away or within he can sense a given being.
It's not that difficult to understand. Think of it like a "level". Now imagine a person, more specifically "Inept Haki user B". Inept Haki user B is capable of sensing people within a small town through Kenbunshoku Haki. Although, inept Haki user B is still in training, the more he trains the more his Kenbunshoku Haki's range increases and precognition power. However, if Kenbunshoku Haki do have different ranges, but in my opinion there are only three characters, whose range is larger than anyone else presented in the show (Eneru via DF, Fujitora and Usopp).

Now imagine another person again, let's name him Rudimentary lvl user B. Rudimentary lvl user B completed his training and utilizes observation haki better than any Inept Haki user. Also, his range is far longer than any Inept Haki user. As established before, Inept Haki user's range is small town or depending on what his range is written on his profile. However, Rudimentary lvl user B's range is far longer.

Did my explanation helps you understanding the levels of observation haki?

That argument doesn't apply to other characters/cases. Since Sanji is highly resistant to Fire Manipulation and Heat, not to mention his pain tolerance isn't something you should underestimate.
Explosion manipulation is different also it is a normal type move.
Contrary to Metagross, Sanji has future sight, precognition and other senses which alerts him to sneak attacks, incoming actions and other things before they happen
Range difference and speed up fix that and the thing's intelligent feat is analytic prediction and it has prior knowledge.
The longer the fight the stronger Sanji gets via Rage power, he just needs to think about his painful memories of his traumatic training or thinking about "Nami-swan or Robin-swan" to get stronger and faste
Ap cap and speed debuffs.
Now I just wish I knew what @Lou_change meant by "buff cap" here.
I just assumed that using buffs to get past the 4.3 megaton limit was not allowed.

Kenbunshoku Haki isn't strictly limited to just "Humans". Rayleigh explicitly explained you could even sense invisible beings or "monsters", Meta is no exception of the rule.
Is there precedent in One Piece for "monsters" being inorganic?
It's not that difficult to understand. Think of it like a "level". Now imagine a person, more specifically "Inept Haki user B". Inept Haki user B is capable of sensing people within a small town through Kenbunshoku Haki. Although, inept Haki user B is still in training, the more he trains the more his Kenbunshoku Haki's range increases and precognition power. However, if Kenbunshoku Haki do have different ranges, but in my opinion there are only three characters, whose range is larger than anyone else presented in the show (Eneru via DF, Fujitora and Usopp).

Now imagine another person again, let's name him Rudimentary lvl user B. Rudimentary lvl user B completed his training and utilizes observation haki better than any Inept Haki user. Also, his range is far longer than any Inept Haki user. As established before, Inept Haki user's range is small town or depending on what his range is written on his profile. However, Rudimentary lvl user B's range is far longer.

Did my explanation helps you understanding the levels of observation haki?
Yeah, I getcha'. Higher level of skill with Haki, exponentially higher effect. Was more just frustrated with the lack of quantification, especially on the profiles. "Exponentially better than unknown value" can be frustratingly vague, you know?
I'd argue its use does involve fire, as has been depicted in ways that seem fiery, in games & anime, but it is somewhat debatable that fire is involved, I guess.
I just assumed that using buffs to get past the 4.3 megaton limit was not allowed.
OH.
I thought you meant there was some kind of limit on Speed buffs & Speed debuffs.

Then, in this match, there is NOT some kind of limit on Speed buffs & Speed debuffs? In other words, it's Correct that there is not some kind of limit, or it's Incorrect & there is some kind of limit?

How is that a normal type move if it involves explosion manipulation, it's in the end explosion manipulation. Also, you do know what explosions entail, yes? Heat and Fire, which Sanji resists. This move Itself isn't a factor nor a one shot because meta lacks the AP advantage for that.
Range difference and speed up fix that and the thing's intelligent feat is analytic prediction and it has prior knowledge.
Range only matters when both characters are prefers fighting range. Sanji primarily prefers close-combat and can instantly close the gap between them, to make matters worse Sanji has both active precognition and active future sight, so how exactly is Range and intelligence helping Meta when Sanji delivers powerful DJ kicks and closes the gap in an instant. Plus he knows what meta's intending to do beforehand, so please enlighten me how he exactly counters Danger sense, True Precognition and Future sight.

Ap cap and speed debuffs
With what exactly? Have you already forgotten that Sanji can quickly finish the fight with either polele a frire and hell memories. He does meta withstand a barrage of 100 fire kicks in an instant? Or Hell memories that burned a Giant instantly. His unquantifiable AP buffs won't help his case.

How is that a normal type move if it involves explosion manipulation, it's in the end explosion manipulation.
Although it involves Heat & Fire, that does not change what type of Pokemon move it is.
Explosion (Japanese: だいばくはつ Giant Explosion) is a damage-dealing Normal-type move introduced in Generation I.
Also, you do know what explosions entail, yes? Heat and Fire, which Sanji resists. This move Itself isn't a factor nor a one shot because meta lacks the AP advantage for that.
I do not know the basis for Lou_Change's statements, but maybe he had some feat in mind involving Metagross using such a purpose? There's also the possibility of interpreting the entry as such explosions being very powerful.

Is there precedent in One Piece for "monsters" being inorganic?
By monsters, invisible beings and "Sillhoutes", Rayleigh refers to any being that's living on One piece, otherwise he would've told Luffy that there exist things he cannot sense. For example "invisible beings". But since they are capable of sensing even things that erased it's entire presence. How are inorganic beings an exception? I would be rather surprised if that were the case.

While it sounds unbelievable to you. Think of Kenbunshoku Haki like that, Sanji will sense/see Meta through it's "Aura/Presence", which is a mental image of a colored Sillhoute of it on a dark background. If meta attacks, Sanji "sees" a Sillhoute of Meta attacking, although the Sillhoute is the future "Meta" (7-10 secs of the future to be precise), while the present "Meta" is about to imitate "future Meta" since the future is set after all.

How is that a normal type move if it involves explosion manipulation, it's in the end explosion manipulation. Also, you do know what explosions entail, yes? Heat and Fire, which Sanji resists. This move Itself isn't a factor nor a one shot because meta lacks the AP advantage for that.
I don't know but https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Explosion_(move)
gap in an instant
They are equal in speed unless he buffs to such a degree without metagross trying to make a counter. Precog is countered by metagross being able to fight Mega Alakazam.

By monsters, invisible beings and "Sillhoutes", Rayleigh refers to any being that's living on One piece, otherwise he would've told Luffy that there exist things he cannot sense. For example "invisible beings". But since they are capable of sensing even things that erased it's entire presence. How are inorganic beings an exception? I would be rather surprised if that were the case.
Invisible does not necessarily mean doesn't exist or lacking a soul, nor does "erasing one's own presence", presuming that refers to concealing one's self very well.
Argument from incredulity is a fallacy.
Why are you so sure he would've told Luffy there are things that cannot be sensed? Why would Rayleigh be that thorough at that time?

Do machines have Haki or such to sense? What are the qualifiers to be detectable by haki? Alive? By what definition?
While it sounds unbelievable to you. Think of Kenbunshoku Haki like that, Sanji will sense/see Meta through it's "Aura/Presence", which is a mental image of a colored Sillhoute of it on a dark background. If meta attacks, Sanji "sees" a Sillhoute of Meta attacking, although the Sillhoute is the future "Meta" (7-10 secs of the future to be precise), while the present "Meta" is about to imitate "future Meta" since the future is set after all.
I get the idea of how Observation Haki observes & delivers information, my concerns are with what makes something eligible to be observed by it. The image above told me plenty, & I have experience debating & seeing media involving precognitive characters. Having showings of detecting organic beings who are more likely to have souls & life force & such within One Piece's system doesn't necessarily mean Metagross meets those criteria.

Anyway, source on the 7 to 10 seconds measurement?

They are equal in speed unless he buffs to such a degree without metagross trying to make a counter. Precog is countered by metagross being able to fight Mega Alakazam.
Being equal in speed doesn't always necessarily mean it's impossible, especially the fact if the character is capable of doing this against characters comparable to him, so my argument still stands.
It's treated in this wiki as "explosion manipulation", therefore is no different than an average explosion manipulation. You are suggesting it to be different because the game or Pokemon wiki considers it as "normal move". However, if it's an explosion, it normally entails "Heat" and "Fire". So idk, what you were trying to imply? Besides, as I said before this isn't considered as a factor in this fight due to Sanji's resistances and advantages.

Last edited:
Invisible does not necessarily mean doesn't exist or lacking a soul, nor does "erasing one's own presence", presuming that refers to concealing one's self very well.
Argument from incredulity is a fallacy.
Why are you so sure he would've told Luffy there are things that cannot be sensed? Why would Rayleigh be that thorough at that time?

Do machines have Haki or such to sense? What are the qualifiers to be detectable by haki? Alive? By what definition?
In the one piece world, invisibility has many meanings such as erasing one's presence, turning himself invisible and creatures beyond anyone's comprehension. Rayleigh conquered every island, every country and discovered the biggest mystery of the One piece's world. Rayleigh is Roger's right hand, automatically a reliable source. Why would Rayleigh lie or half-heartedly explaining things to Luffy? Rayleigh has faced countless of DF users & mysterious creatures, him telling that observation haki grants him to sense beings that don't have a soul or are invisible beings is accepted here. So going by the Wiki's rules, Sanji can indeed sense Meta, so honestly why is that a debate in the first place?

Think of it that way, if Sanji cannot sense him this applies to his future sight too, that would imply that Meta isn't part of a "future" in which he fights against Sanji. That wouldn't make any sense unless Meta has a Hax that prevents him from getting sensed or null future sight.

Anyway, source on the 7 to 10 seconds measurement?
Every Advanced Kenbunshoku Haki can do that. Otherwise Sanji wouldn't be classified as "Advanced Kenbunshoku Haki user" in the first place, the proof you are asking is literally written on his profile picture and Haki page. Since it's confirmed by Oda that Sanji's Kenbunshoku Haki is comparable to cough Katakuri, pretty self-explanatory if you have watched whole cake arc or Luffy vs Katakuri.

Don’t know what going on but Kenbunshoku Haki can be used on inanimate objects as shown when Luffy could predict the movements of a Pacifista, a cyborg/human weapon (Chapter 601), and Koby could use it to sense a torpedo heading straight at a ship (Chapter 903).

Back