• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
This is a risky idea, but I'm willing to take a chance.

Speed is equalized and both characters start behind cover at roughly 100 meters. Battle takes place at night for basically no reason.

Otherwise SBA.

The Gunslinger: 0

A Man in Black: 0

Inconclusive: 0

Well, yes. But that doesn't prevent Dresden's defensive measures from working. He can probably summon forcefields and columns of ice to block Roland's shots if he needs to.

Also, the protection only extends to magic that targets Roland directly. For example. Flagg was still able to hurt him through indirect means, like hitting him with objects and debris with his TK instead of trying to grab him directly.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
hitting him with objects and debris with his TK instead of trying to grab him directly.
If magic doesn't work Dresden is more likely to use his guns as opposed to TK, which to my knowledge Dresden has never used in battle. I'm also in the middle of revising Dresdens profile.

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
If magic doesn't work Dresden is more likely to use his guns as opposed to TK, which to my knowledge Dresden has never used in battle.
I'll admit that I'm not caught up on Dresden Files anymore, so I don't know if he ends up bettering his skill with guns in any of the most recent novels.

But getting in a gunfight with a Gunslinger of Gilead is a really, really, really bad idea. Every last one of them is ridiculously skilled with firearms, and Roland is implied to be the greatest one there's ever been. And he definitely has the feats to back that up.

Also kudos on taking the time to work on Dresden's page. He and his verse don't have nearly enough support on this site.

yeah, it's real fu

Actually, what's the nature of Roland's resistance? As it turns out Dresden's magic can hurt creatures that natually resist magic normally, those being Outsiders. In the Dresden verse, Outsiders are creatures from outside the mortal demention and normally shed magic spells like water.

It's from gan iirc.

Seemingly less restrictive, but king knows better than I do.

It's left pretty vague like damn near everything else in Stephen King's lore, but the general gist of it is that "the spell of the White" ("the White" being another name for Ga) guards Roland from magic attacks, to the point that nobody in Roland's verse can affect him with magic directly.

We only ever see the effects of this one time, when Flagg uses his "Stop breathing" trick on Roland and his father in the (canon) DT film. His father collapses and ******* dies (spoiler...), but literally nothing happens to Roland himself. Flagg's remark afterwards pretty much confirms the fact that he no-sold it; "It never works on you, does it Roland? The power you have to resist my magics..."

I get the feeling there's either Fate Manipulation or Plot Manipulation involved (since this is Gan we're talking about here), but that's not actually confirmed or anything. Yet.

Well, to be fair, we also don't know much about Dresden's Starborn-ness, considering it's a pretty new devolpment, but I think it's safe to assume it won't be overpowering a High 1-B enchantment. As for Dresden's win-con, winning a gun fight is apperently unlikely, so he probably need to drop a building on the guy. Good thing Dresden's real good at that.

How likely is he to start wrecking the environment before Roland can land a shot or get close to him? I can remember a few times he's done that sort of thing, but that generally seems like a "last resort" kind of deal.

Also, SBA puts them in Central Park. There's technically only one full-sized building over there. (the museum)

King, if Roland's resistance to magic is all but absolute, why was Walter planning to kill him with fire? I mean, in the Final Battle of DT's film.

Not everybody knows about it

Walter is but another name of Randall (and the one I use the most). Earlier in the film, he states Roland is somehow resistant to his magic. And then...

I guess he didn't know the degree of Roland's resistance, and thought he could beat it with more powerful magic.

Plot holes are a thing, and if you don't know the exact nature of your opponents resistance thinking you can overpower it through brute force isn't exactly nonsensical. For example, in 40k, there was a psyker who thought they could kill a Culexus Assassin (dedicated anti magic assassin) through drawing out all the warp energy they could muster, fighting through the agony of doing so near a Culexus. Culexus Assassins are a very well kept secret. That psyker couldn't possibly have known that that would only bolster the powers of the CA. If its not like a well known thing that Roland is under protection of God, rather that he's just unusually resilient to magic, thinking its not an absolute resistance isn't that illogical.

I've yet to fully figure that one out, tbh.

The only thing I can really say is that he never actually uses it on Roland. He just sort of walks towards Roland with fire in his hand. I mean, if the fire was really going to work on him, he could have just used it to kill him from afar. (Or shot him with lightning, since it's long been established that he can do that too)

His own overconfidence might have had something to do with it as well. He's done that before, underestimating people and their abilities when they appear weakened or feeble. And unlike the narrator of The Laughing Mirror Part II, he doesn't appear to know the true nature of Roland's magic resistance, just that he "has always possessed an annoying ability to resist my magics". He might have thought that weakening Roland physically was enough to wear down his resistance.

Doesn't really help that the movie had such shitty writing in numerous areas.

I supposed it could be PIS, but ok.

Anyhow, couldn't Harry send some cars flying towards Roland? I suppose he's not resisting it with his Wall level durability.

But I would imagine that a wizard is much more likely to use some kind of magic first, since he has no previous knowledge. That would give Roland a chance to hit his forehead with a bullet.

Voting Inconclusive.

Magnus is physically tier 4 tho like all the other primarchs

Yeah, but then you did Crowley VS Flagg after that. I'm having trouble finding it (because the thread was removed, rather than closed by an admin), but I definitely remember it happening.

Though tbh, I really don't care if it get's made again, so if you want to, go ahead.

Back