• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Halo: Hypersonic speed upgrade again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways I looked at the sources given here. Shadow of intent takes place after halo 3, and apparently during 2556, so it's very much possible that the carbine referred to in the text is a type 57, not a type 51 (700 meters per second muzzle velocity was in a profile for the type 51 specifically). Also, in the comic, the shot interrupts the ai's dialogue so I don't think he could have anticipated the shot. It was a surprise shot. Plus, he was trying to negotiate with him, so I don't think he would've just jumped out of the way randomly. The last panel implies that for the entire time that the ai was talking, the spartan was just standing there.

As long as this doesnt contradict the Spartans being faster than the Particle Beam Rifle I say its fine.

We don't. However, the text given here says it's hypersonic. The only reason why the upgrade was rejected was because it contradicted the type 51's supersonic speed. However, as I said, the weapon referred to in the text could very well have been a type 57.

I know, I read the post, just wondering If we have any specific number on it, If not we can only lowball it to the lowest Hypersonic speed rating.

Lowest hypersonic is fine. But theres also that part where the dude dodges the beam rifle shot. I made an argument as to why it isnt aim dodging. The important part is how the shot interrupts the ai's dialogue, cutting it off. The other spartan couldnt have anticipated this, and the panel implies that the spartan was trying to negotiate for the entire time the ai was talking.

I read DDM's arguments in the thread again and they're pretty cringe in hindsight. Equivocating tanking a bolt of lightning (barely any of the electrical energy even damages the car, most of it literally just goes right through)(electricity damages materials because some of the energy is converted into thermal energy, and I dont know about you guys but I think that theres a pretty big difference between a tiny fraction of energy being converted to thermal energy that damages the object [electricity] and ALL of the energy ALREADY BEING THERMAL ENERGY) and tanking a fuel rod shot? I honestly still think Spartans scale to 30 megatons but I'll get to that in the future.

No one cares much about this verse any more do they? Can't blame them, 5 must've sucked. Didnt play it tho, not gonna get an xbox one just for that.

Since we have support from normal users ask an admin to see what he thinks so we can conclude this topic.

I can only guess at what the feat looks like since it wasn't linked here.

From what I can tell, you're arguing that a Spartan should be upgrade to Hypersonic for dodging a firearm with Hypersonic bullets. It was a surprise shot, so it can't have been aim dodging.

I'm okay with the concept, but dodging Hypersonic bullets wouldn't inherently be a Hypersonic feat. In a world with Hypersonic+ lightning dodging, I would err more on the side of caution and see about getting this calc'd.

I'll come back to address every detail the problems with all of this. Also, the Covenant Carbine was fired from 490 meters away from the Prelate, and keep in mind the movement of the characters compared to the projectiles is important. Plus, even if it was "A meter" you still need to use the distance he moved compared to how far the bullet was initially.

Otto's reaction feat is also only Subsonic at best. I calculated the what if off site.

I'd say it would be good to calc it because there's no reason to believe the spartan was exactly one meter away from the weapon and every other value was super convenient. Maybe it's just a bit below hypersonic. Still an upgrade that can't be ignored.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I'll come back to address every detail the problems with all of this. Also, the Covenant Carbine was fired from 490 meters away, and keep in mind the movement of the characters compared to the projectiles is important. Plus, even if it was "A meter" you still need to use the distance he moved compared to how far the bullet was initially.
They likely didnt dodge at hypersonic speeds. Still would be Hypersonic Perception though if they weren't any more than 2 meters away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back