• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Goku's intelligence... in book smarts.

When I was watching (not to mention read) Dragon Ball, I have noticed that Goku is a countrified hick and a pre-teen bumpkin who lives on Mount Paozu for the rest of his childhood (until he met Bulma), and watched throughout the Emperor Pilaf Saga all the way to the Red Ribbon Saga currently, but when I saw his training with Roshi before entering the 21st Tenkaichi Tournament, he's actually literate. Only thing I noticed is that he struggles in mathematics, since he thought that 14 came after 11 (and also counting to search Murasaki up to 30). What do you guys think of his intelligence in that level based on academics? Despite for him being unsophisticated and naive, he is how you guys putted him as... a combat genius when it comes to fighting.

He never got any formal education whatsoever. Iirc he can read and write simple things, but that's pretty much all he knows.

Combat genius but barely literate and low academic ability is what methinks.

Alright then, Gemmysaur, though he does have trouble counting like he needs fingers to count numbers like I mentioned. So... what kind of level should that be? Below average? Learning impaired? Would his be in an elementary level or under?

How far can he count again? Imo, Goku falls under "functional illiteracy" and "scientific illiteracy".

It's different from being simple illiteracy as that means he cannot read and/or write whatsoever.

Functional illiteracy means he knows how to read and write simple things, but does not know enough to manage daily living and employment that requires more than basic reading level.

Scientific illiteracy pertains to math, science and other quantitative studies, though he still falls under "functional illiteracy" there.

Also, learning impaired means he has an illness of sorts that prevents him from learning properly, e.g. dyslexia, visual motor deficit, ADHD, etc.

TL;DR, Intelligence: Combat Genius, otherwise Below Average.

A combat genius, no probably like slightly above average. Lelouche is a real combat Genius, even someone like Urahara has more tricks than him, he's just lucky cause all the villains are just dumber than he is.

Intelligence wise he can't do basic math so grade 2 level? Lol why doesn't he wish himself to be smarter

Goku is nowhere near combat genius. He's rather stupid for having so much experience

Academic wise, he's nearly illierate.

Maybe because he's a happy-go-lucky kid with no worries, Senkoro. He doesn't need to make any wish for his own gain like others do with wealth and fame and such for their spoils and selfishness, even though he use those to bring others to life or restoration with the Dragon Balls. If he wants to be smarter, he'll just start from the basics while training. And I think it might slow him down from his personal goal of becoming the strongest fighter there is. Doesn't that make sense?

He seems perfectly happy to risk the lives of billions of people so he can have a stronger opponent to fight. I don't see how wishing for a higher intelligence makes it selfish.

Besides he doesn't really need wealth Bulma's already a billionaire, and who needs a car or a plane when you can just teleport?

He was when he matured, Faisal Shourov. Like exploiting the weak points in his opponents by analyzing the body language. He did read when he's training with Roshi, as I mentioned before, but he just wants to fight and/or train.

Well according to his latest IQ test, IE that simple math test on super he seems a few points down from the average. Quite a few

Either that or just use Bukujutsu or ride on Kinto'un for not wasting energy when on Earth... but we're losing topic here, right, Senkoro?

Still, in terms of combat ability he doesn't really fight with his head, for example he usually kills his opponents by overpowering them. I don't think there's a single instance where he tricked his opponent and killed them.

Dragon Ball isn't really the smart calculating type of manga either.

He's actually quite smart in battle and combat mentality and often does think outside of the box.

Goku was the first to realize that Super Saiyan states were wasting an extreme amount of energy just by powering up to it, mastered the form despite the huge amount of stress (psychological and physical) the state puts on his body, which is more effective than training two years physically in the Room of Spirit and Time. Also devised different usages of the Kamehameha such as propelling it with his feet, homing in on targets, altering its path and range, using Ki to augment his physical strength, and so on. Even simply mastering the wave took Roshi years yet Goku pulled it off in seconds.

SunWukong1986 said:
Let's just say that he wasn't enlightened in education. Does that sound right?
Yes that's right. It's not that he can't learn any of these things (education material) he simply just missed his shot. In real life missing your development opportunity means attempting to learn more and more complex things is extremely difficult if not impossible. Just look at Feral Children, they aren't dumb they simply to borrow your phrase were never enlightened in education.

Did I miss something? I was doing some "debunking" on something else... and by "something else", I mean Death Battle. Anyways, why is Senkoro blocked, KuuIchigo?

At least right now we know he isn't dumb. I'd say his intelligence is "slightly below normal", because he still answered to 50% of answers during the test to enter the tournament.

Good to know. And funny thing, when I was on YouTube searching "Goku reads a book" from here, otheres are saying like, "GOKU CAN READ?!" It's hilarious from their reactions of knowing Goku can read literature. And it's kinda dirty from the book he's reading from Roshi. lol

And from the link I mentioned, there was someone named Jose Garcia, and he told me this...

"I personally believe by the end of the series, Goku's shown that his intelligence is average as well as showing an improvement of how he behaves in society (somewhat), this can be proven when Goku is taught to read (as we can see here), has shown more than once that he knows basic math, and could identify the gender of Upa before krillin could, and if you count the specials; he shows that he's knowledgeable about fire safety, and crossing the street (lol)... The only downfall though, is that he still has a lack of common sense (which is different from intelligence )´╗┐"

What do you think when he told me that?

Back