• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Atreus most likely made a blood pact with odin akin to actual norse myth which is why he is unable to tell kratos anything. This is going to be a good plot point because kratos made it apparent one of his biggest mistakes and failures in GoW 2018 was making a pact with Ares.

Whatever atreus has planned, it's going to backfire massively cause Odin is too cunning and smart. Then it's going to be up to kratos to fix everything, It's why in a bunch of those scenes atreus nor mimir is present

There's also the possibility they are just baiting in the trailers and mimir+atreus will be with us the entire time.

It sucks that Norse Gods only have 2 games. So far I think Ares and Hades individually could take the whole Pantheon (not all at once obviously).

The Olympians seem to have way better Hax.

I'd love to match GOW Odin vs Marvel Odin, but I feat he'd get haxxstomped to oblivion.

They haven't had anywhere near the right time to show off a lot of what they can do.

It sucks that Norse Gods only have 2 games. So far I think Ares and Hades individually could take the whole Pantheon (not all at once obviously).
Zeus would one-shot them all without hesitation, and could even do it by lunging a bolt at them if they were in a straight line even. The moment Ares would even get to open Pandora's Box, he'd be insta-killed by Fear Zeus then and there.

The Olympians seem to have way better Hax.
That's only because we haven't delved deeper into Norse magic and the Vanir themselves.

But yeah, the Olympians have way better conceptual hax as it is right now.

From what I can see, the Norse mostly prefer extreme versatility and politics with their powers (Except in the rare cases where they prefer brute force like Thor and his kin), while the Greeks are effectively battle-hardened from the get-go and proceed to excel in craftsmanship, blacksmithing, warfare and battle tactics, architecture and science. Basically, they've got magic too, but they choose to be more battle-focused with it as well as train to be good all-rounders in the physicals department and weapons as well. Heck, from what I can see the Greeks prefer to be master all-rounders in pretty much every aspect.

Last edited:
That's only because we haven't delved deeper into Norse magic and the Vanir themselves.
True. They do have some decent time Hax, that's potent enough to stop the sun and moon from shrieking across the sky (hopefully Kratos gets his hands on this and gets interplanetary range)

But yeah, the Olympians have way better conceptual hax as it is right now.
Yes. Do the Norse Gods even have concept Hax so far?
From what I can see, the Norse mostly prefer extreme versatility and politics with their powers (Except in the rare cases where they prefer brute force like Thor and his kin), while the Greeks are effectively battle-hardened from the get-go and proceed to excel in craftsmanship, blacksmithing, warfare and battle tactics, architecture and science. Basically, they've got magic too, but they choose to be more battle-focused with it as well as train to be good all-rounders in the physicals department and weapons as well. Heck, from what I can see the Greeks prefer to be master all-rounders in pretty much every aspect.
An interesting analysis. I'm not sure who has more skill and experience in battles. But I feel like I'd prolly say the Norse gods, as I feel like the Greek gods went longer unchallenged, whereas the Aesir seem to always be at war.

But to bring it back to Hax, I got faith in Odin. A God of Magic must have some decent Hax.

And honestly I feel like Odin is the smartest character in the series, so I guess we could give him that

True. They do have some decent time Hax, that's potent enough to stop the sun and moon from shrieking across the sky (hopefully Kratos gets his hands on this and gets interplanetary range)
Right now the Norse mostly invest in runic stuff and armors and using whatever they can to create the wackiest shit they can find but they need to be creative about it and have to try hard, with Ivaldi straight up requiring the mists of Niflheim to make the marvels that threatened gods. They also seem to like spatial-related hax very much for some reason.

Meanwhile, in the case of the Greeks, it was the humans who made marvels of engineering that could straight up be called steampunk-ish to a degree and it still paled to what the Gods could actually do in their spare time just for kicks, especially when even the worst of their weaponry rivals the strongest Norse weaponry. Not only that, they focus their magic to be as much about combat as possible, they don't try to be creative, they just will their magic to do whatever they want to do. Power null? Yeah sure go for it. Fashion Pantheon-destroying weapons that can absorb, power null and filter? You got it! **** around and find out with souls however you wish? Yeah why the hell not. Forge new lands just by saying "Pop into existence you miserable slobs" and shit? Donezo.

Go on a horny spree? Ouch.

Yes. Do the Norse Gods even have concept Hax so far?
Not as far as I can tell.

An interesting analysis. I'm not sure who has more skill and experience in battles. But I feel like I'd prolly say the Norse gods, as I feel like the Greek gods went longer unchallenged, whereas the Aesir seem to always be at war.
Kinda have to disagree there, the Greek Pantheon's very beginnings were very violent, the Primordials literally popped out of Chaos and immediately went into war with each other for God knows how long, and even then the real fun hadn't begun yet, it truly began the moment Cronos chose to literally cut his father's balls off, and that's where things started to go downhill for them. The Titan War is also another, where the Titans and Gods fought for centuries and it took Zeus to build the Blade of Olympus to finish the job at the last leg of the fight.

Contrary to popular belief, Zeus's rule did not go unchallenged, but Athena had to take most of the brunt because Ares literally couldn't stand her, so he set up proxy wars on other places to destabilize Olympus as a whole, then there's the issue of the Egyptian and Persian pantheon being at odds with the Greeks, and of course, who can forget Persephone trying to bring down Olympus as a whole? But of course, the ultimate menace in the long run would be Kratos himself, who shared the exact same goals as Ares to go to war with Olympus, but whereas Ares only wished to become the new ruler, Kratos sought to literally burn it down to ash, which he did, and he sacrificed himself by choosing his humanity over his godhood.

But to bring it back to Hax, I got faith in Odin. A God of Magic must have some decent Hax.
He has to. Man literally power-nulled one of the strongest Vanir (And by extension possibly one of the strongest foes in the Norse pantheon surpassing all the Valkyries combined) into not even being able to take her own sword out from her back. It's just a paper-weight for her at this point.

And honestly I feel like Odin is the smartest character in the series, so I guess we could give him that
Definitely, given just how much information he's amassed over the centuries.

Don't revenants slip through sheets of reality, so that makes them pretty strong.
So far only two fodders have potent hax, the Soul Eaters and the Revenants.

Basically it's dimensional travel for those Revenants but Wraiths in Greek Myth are straight up incorporeal (And thus automatically superior), and Kratos can kill them regardless.

So far only two fodders have potent hax, the Soul Eaters and the Revenants.

Basically it's dimensional travel for those Revenants but Wraiths in Greek Myth are straight up incorporeal (And thus automatically superior), and Kratos can kill them regardless.
Wouldn't that meant though, that they wouldn't really be able to kill each other since they can't hit each other, or would the Wraiths eventually be able to kill the Revenants?

I think Odin appearing at the door in shadow is meant to be a parallel to how Kratos appeared in the reveal trailer for God of War 2018 and show Odin having an influence on Atreus but in a different way of course.

I think Odin appearing at the door in shadow is meant to be a parallel to how Kratos appeared in the reveal trailer for God of War 2018 and show Odin having an influence on Atreus but in a different way of course.
Probably, it makes sense, some think it means him and Atreus swear a blood oath similar to the mythology and that's why Atreus doesn't want to tell Kratos his secret.

I just thought that it would be crazy if Atreus was the one who originally sent Skoll and Hati to chase the sun and moon in the history of the Norse and Odin manipulated the entire thing behind the scenes to set up Atreus being the big bad Loki.

I hope they make Spartan's Rage actually useful in GMGOW mode for Ragnarok. The only thing it's useful for in 2018 is moving out of the way.

Yeah, it does give some health which is nice to though, but it was mostly useless.
Heath gain is nice on paper and all but when you die in one hit to most mobs and the damage you deal in Spartan's rage is mildly better than the damage you deal with Leviathan Axe, BoC, or even the shield, it makes Spartan's rage pretty much pointless on GMGOW. I only use it to try and quickly kill the most annoying enemy out of the 5 or 10 on screen but it only gets them down to maybe half health if I'm lucky.

Heath gain is nice on paper and all but when you die in one hit to most mobs and the damage you deal in Spartan's rage is mildly better than the damage you deal with Leviathan Axe, BoC, or even the shield, it makes Spartan's rage pretty much pointless on GMGOW. I only use it to try and quickly kill the most annoying enemy out of the 5 or 10 on screen but it only gets them down to maybe half health if I'm lucky.
True, the enemies deal much more damage than you heal so I guess it doesn't help much.

He has to. Man literally power-nulled one of the strongest Vanir (And by extension possibly one of the strongest foes in the Norse pantheon surpassing all the Valkyries combined) into not even being able to take her own sword out from her back. It's just a paper-weight for her at this point.
And didn't he seal off the realms?

I feel like he's going to have some sort of Precog. "The all father sees all"
btw if we compare Greek fooder enemies and norse fooder enemies, which are greater in terms of power and hax ?
An interesting debate. I really wish we had monster profiles. But I feel like the Greek Monsters would clap the Norse ones so far. Way better Hax, and it seems like they are more powerful.

I hope they make Spartan's Rage actually useful in GMGOW mode for Ragnarok. The only thing it's useful for in 2018 is moving out of the way.
Fax. My favorite rage is GOW2.

Hopefully there's whole new abilities specifically for it, that are actually pretty useful.

Potentially major leaked spoilers warning. I don't know if anyone else has seen this leak but I think it came out before the artbook leaks that revealed Kratos fights the norns and the leak happen to also mention such a thing happening. If that's true the leak is probably real.

Yea the leaks are very legit I think. It even mentions Odin's design and how his fight is more psychological which is something the artbook mentions.

Yea. I don't see why Kratos raging out wouldn't use his weapons. It would be cool if it let him temporarily use a new fighting style by dual wielding the Leviathan axe and a Blades of Chaos.

I just hope that if they do find a way to kill kratos, it would be honorable or atleast acceptable and in character.

Back