• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Speaking of God of War II, I had a question pertaining to Kratos and his godhood if anyone wouldn't mind answering it:

So Kratos gains godlike power after opening Pandora's Box to kill Ares and then is appointed as the new God of War, but then he gets that power drained from him thanks to the Blade of Olympus and has to slowly but surely crawl his way back up while heading towards the Sisters of Fate. My question is did Kratos regain his godhood at the end of II and through III, 2018, and Ragnarok or is he still considered a demigod? He calls himself a god in 2018, but I wanted to know if he ever did regain that status or not.
So, basically;

When Kratos opens Pandora's Box the first time, he gains the Power of Hope and uses a small measure of it to kill Ares. But after that, it gets locked away again under his despair and he shortly gets Ares' mantle and power as the god of war.

When he attacks Rhodes, Zeus tricks him into giving up his godhood and kills him. After which he is brought back and goes on a journey to the Sisters of Fate to turn back time. When he does this, his base power grows to the point of being on par with his godly self by the time he reaches the Loom.

So at that point, his innate power (boosted by the Titans' magic) is godly. He regains his godly powers and immortality from the Blade of Olympus but not the Godhead (the specific mantle of war).

When he sacrificed himself to release Hope, he seemingly gave up all of his power but when he came back to life, his innate strength became on par with his peak godly self, when he was bolstered by his Titan powers and godly magics, as well as Hades' soul.

In essence, it's kinda like the SSG/base form situation with Goku.

He's technically an immortal demigod but as far as the Norse realms are concerned, he's a god considering his immortality and power. Their definition of godhood is very nebulous given Atreus calls himself a god, Thor calls himself a god etc. despite technically being Demigods. Even Aesir/Vanir are just races and not innately gods.

So, basically;

When Kratos opens Pandora's Box the first time, he gains the Power of Hope and uses a small measure of it to kill Ares. But after that, it gets locked away again under his despair and he shortly gets Ares' mantle and power as the god of war.

When he attacks Rhodes, Zeus tricks him into giving up his godhood and kills him. After which he is brought back and goes on a journey to the Sisters of Fate to turn back time. When he does this, his base power grows to the point of being on par with his godly self by the time he reaches the Loom.

So at that point, his innate power (boosted by the Titans' magic) is godly. He regains his godly powers and immortality from the Blade of Olympus but not the Godhead (the specific mantle of war).

When he sacrificed himself to release Hope, he seemingly gave up all of his power but when he came back to life, his innate strength became on par with his peak godly self, when he was bolstered by his Titan powers and godly magics, as well as Hades' soul.

He's technically an immortal demigod but as far as the Norse realms are concerned, he's a god considering his immortality and power. Their definition of godhood is very nebulous given Atreus calls himself a god, Thor calls himself a god etc. despite technically being Demigods. Even Aesir/Vanir are just races and not innately gods.
I remember, that's a great example.

So, basically;

AH, so essentially....Kratos doesn't have the mantle of a god, but has the innate powers, magic, and immortality associated with a god without holding an office? That's actually much more impressive for Kratos then I was thinking, that the dude's RE and all the magic and weapons he gained allowed him to boost himself up to his godly self without being a full on god anymore

Welp I just finished God of War 1 for the first time ever just a couple minutes ago and, holy shit, it is insane how the first God of War game is such a magnificent experience as both a game and a story.

The music, the combat, the magic and weapons you gain, the bosses, the enemies, and the puzzles are just superb! And I love that feeling that, as you progress through the game, you get stronger and stronger and just begin to tear through hordes of enemies which may have initially given you shit at the early stages of the game. But if I had to give one negative critique against GOW I, it's that I hated it whenever it spawned in like two or three cyclopes or minotaurs at once because of their unblockable attacks and not choregraphing when I got to dodge...I learned early on that leveling up Posideon's Rage to the max is the best deterrent against them. Outside of that? It's an absolutely fantastic game, and since I also completed Chains of Olympus then I'll be moving on to Ghosts of Sparta, II, III, and then Ascension so that I can really become a fan of this series.

Welp I just finished God of War 1 for the first time ever just a couple minutes ago and, holy shit, it is insane how the first God of War game is such a magnificent experience as both a game and a story.

The music, the combat, the magic and weapons you gain, the bosses, the enemies, and the puzzles are just superb! And I love that feeling that, as you progress through the game, you get stronger and stronger and just begin to tear through hordes of enemies which may have initially given you shit at the early stages of the game. But if I had to give one negative critique against GOW I, it's that I hated it whenever it spawned in like two or three cyclopes or minotaurs at once because of their unblockable attacks and not choregraphing when I got to dodge...I learned early on that leveling up Posideon's Rage to the max is the best deterrent against them. Outside of that? It's an absolutely fantastic game, and since I also completed Chains of Olympus then I'll be moving on to Ghosts of Sparta, II, III, and then Ascension so that I can really become a fan of this series.
Ascension

Well... At least you'll be a true fan when you fianlly play it.

Well... At least you'll be a true fan when you fianlly play it.
That comment genuinely concerns me....is GOW Ascension as, well, disappointing and bad as people say it is? I'm sure it'll be a different story once I actually play it, but it seems to be a decent GOW game from a glance so I'm curious to know if I'll be disappointed by the end of all this

That comment genuinely concerns me....is GOW Ascension as, well, disappointing and bad as people say it is? I'm sure it'll be a different story once I actually play it, but it seems to be a decent GOW game from a glance so I'm curious to know if I'll be disappointed by the end of all this
It's not unplayable in a vacuum (no God of War game is really "bad" in and of itself), but as far as the franchise goes, it doesn't live up to standard.

Like, the main issue is that they tried to do too much and ended up falling short.

if i have enough income (BRL is very messed up) i think imma alternate between an anime challenge i elaborated and GOW chronologically lol

It's not unplayable in a vacuum (no God of War game is really "bad" in and of itself), but as far as the franchise goes, it doesn't live up to standard.

Like, the main issue is that they tried to do too much and ended up falling short.
Yeah I heard something pertaining to that Ascension's combat system uses elemental attacks for specific types of enemies, but I'm not too sure about that.

Also I just finished Ghost of Sparta, so I'm down three games and I got three more to go....hopefully I can get a job again soon so I can get GOW Ragnarok and continue the GOW marathon I'm now doing playing the game where Kratos has to kill his mother and see his brother die because of the gods will make it all the more satisfying when I get to beat the life out of Zeus

I am sure Bruno would agree kratos is very strong, With that statement alone it's enough for Kratos to defeat god,angel, politician, tank, and all beings from cthulhu myth etc (using inductive logic from outside of vs wiki). (kratos is strong because he is popular and has very cool game. No need higher dimensional stuff)

I really think we shouldn't call someone like that, we should leave him aside and not take his opinion as a priority
I wasn't insulting Bruno to be frank (He's literally responsible for making GoW's combat what it is RN), I was talking about ourselves about how we see Kratos as.

But yeah, don't harass the man just because he's the head of animation direction at SSM overseeing how the boss fights go down as .

Btw does have the novels arr canon stataments?
Sorry, couldn't understand the question. Are you asking if there are statements for the novels being canon?

Well, doubt you'd need them (Since the Fallen God comic is literally ripped from the GoW2018 novel, scene for scene, and the Primordial Fire stuff that existed in the novel with relation to Chaos herself was confirmed in Ragnarok, as was the prayer hearing shit on Freya's side), but Ariel Lawrence herself stated that the novels are secondary canon while the comics are primary canon on the same level as the games.

Are you asking if there are statements for the novels being canon?
Yeah
Since the Fallen God comic is literally ripped from the GoW2018 novel, scene for scene, and the Primordial Fire stuff that existed in the novel with relation to Chaos herself was confirmed in Ragnarok
Oh. Thats new cuz didn't rrad 2018 novel yet
but Ariel Lawrence herself stated that the novels are secondary canon while the comics are primary canon on the same level as the games.
Thanks

So I know everyone loved the DLC, myself included, but could you imagine how awesome it would have been for an extended boss fight with Young Kratos, I'm talking GoW 3 Kratos so he's switching weapons like we do and how Tyr was, using all of his various magics and abilities like the bow, boots, and Head. Imagine if we got a reflect battle like with the Fates, since Young Kratos would have the Fleece, even having actual quick time events as a throw back to the Greek games and how we are fighting ourself who always had to do the Qte's. Maybe even have both of them use Spartan Rage at the same time, so Young Kratos pulls out the Blade and they have a callback to Zeus's fight, where they fight over the Blade of Olympus, except know they are even more evenly matched and they both get cuts from the Blade slowly weakening both of them, until finally Old Kratos is able to stab Young Kratos enough to beat him, but of course Young Kratos went out swinging trying to choke Old Kratos to death. I think this should also be the bloodiest we've seen either of them, from how brutal the fight was.

But, have it similar to Thor's defeat where Old Kratos has to talk his Young self down, because he see's Thor in himself, and finally they are able to reconcile, with both committing to being better as Faye always said, with that down, Young Kratos fades away and Old Kratos finally takes his place on his throne. I was even thinking of having Valhalla be damaged from how severe the fight was, with Freya, Tyr, Sigrun, and Mimir commenting on how strong the clash was with whoever Kratos fought, only for him to reveal it was his younger, angrier self, just so they could finally understand how strong he was when he was truly bloodthirsty since they were surprised about some of Kratos's exploits. I don't know how sensical it is to make their fight damage Valhalla, since it isn't really Young Kratos there, but I think it would show how powerful Kratos is, past and present, to have his hardest fight be himself, plus when he destroyed the sacrificial cage he broke Valhalla as Mimir point out, so it wouldn't be too far fetched.

What do you think? Too cheesy, over the top maybe? Or just the right amount.

I have opinion that you are not suppose to defeat your past self, instead take your past self as a lesson to be better and move forward . This is why i like kratos said "you are more than that" to his past self. It's part of your life whatever it's evil, good, love, fear, hate.

Now the question is what does it mean to become better person. SMS probably will explore that in GOH kratos arc in future

I'm sure this has been answered ages ago but I'm thinking about the Thor fights. I'm pretty rusty on my knowledge of the game's story but what specifically happens in the game where Kratos in Midgard is getting dicked by Thor (owing to his restraint and unwillingness to unleash his rage) but then in Asgard is able to beat a bloodlusted Thor without having to go rage? Does he manage to master his rage to the point where he can use that sort of power (at least somewhere close to the level of strength he gets when enraged) without becoming enraged and what specific events sort of lead to that being the case if so?

I'm sure this has been answered ages ago but I'm thinking about the Thor fights. I'm pretty rusty on my knowledge of the game's story but what specifically happens in the game where Kratos in Midgard is getting dicked by Thor (owing to his restraint and unwillingness to unleash his rage) but then in Asgard is able to beat a bloodlusted Thor without having to go rage? Does he manage to master his rage to the point where he can use that sort of power (at least somewhere close to the level of strength he gets when enraged) without becoming enraged and what specific events sort of lead to that being the case if so?
That's pretty much what the plot point of Ragnarok is, yeah, to better himself for the sake of his son and to have a better resolve overall to honor his wife.

That's pretty much what the plot point of Ragnarok is, yeah, to better himself for the sake of his son and to have a better resolve overall to honor his wife.
I haven't been keeping up with much in terms of Revisions and scaling changes but does that mean that that as it stands Kratos Post-Ragnarok and during Valhalla is able to reach the levels of strength he used to only achieve when bloodlusted without having to lose control now?

I haven't been keeping up with much in terms of Revisions and scaling changes but does that mean that that as it stands Kratos Post-Ragnarok and during Valhalla is able to reach the levels of strength he used to only achieve when bloodlusted without having to lose control now?
More or less. Planck might know more on that front tho.

I wanted to share for anyone who hasn't seen this video, it's a really amazing edit which recontextualizes Kratos' past and his current present life as that of the old man in the story involving the old man and Death. I honestly got nothing else to say other then I'd recommend giving it a watch

Greetings, fellas
i had this idea who worked before and would like to know if anyone would like to participate :>

Kratos would pack Surtr up pretty easily if him packing up Thor (Who managed to stalemate both Ragnarok and Jormie at once) is anything to go by.

Ragnarok would be a problem, but Kratos being smaller gives him the home advantage of better maneuverability while still having the punching power to knock the latter down. Kratos' latent power growth would eventually kick in and ultimately allow him to land the finishing bow.

Back