• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

That usually happens when it comes to novelizations, because they're not restricted by what they can and can't add in the games then I imagine it enables the writers of the GOW novels to add in stuff and characterization which you aren't going to see in the games. It's the case for the novelizations of every Monsterverse movie now that I think about it, which add in so much character and nuance that a part of me considers the novels as being the best way to experience the Monsterverse which, when it's all based off a series of movies, is quite a red flag when the best way to experience them is books and not the ACTUAL movies themselves.

Tangent aside, and if you don't mind answering one more question, are there any really notable egregious differences from the games or are they usually following the same beat as the games with just more writing to it? I haven't read the novels so I don't know if there were some outliers which mean the games take precedence
In the first novel;

The Desert of Lost Souls is another dimension accessed by a magical gateway rather than being right next to Athens. Aphrodite teleports Kratos to Medusa's lair rather than her just hanging out in some random room near the docks of Athens. The pocket dimension is almost like a Domain Expansion rather than a portal (fixed in the second novel). Ares is killed by his own sword arm things.

In the second novel;
Athena blitzes Hermes at some point. Kratos summons all the Titans, including even trapped ones like Atlas.

Those are the major differences I can think of. The rest is just a lot of extra writing and characterization.

Man, God Of War 2018 has such good graphics, I think games made only for PS4 at the time focused more on graphics, whereas in God Of War Ragnarok the same thing didn't happen on PS4, where the graphics aren't very good, but its PS5 version is beautiful.

Man, God Of War 2018 has such good graphics, I think games made only for PS4 at the time focused more on graphics, whereas in God Of War Ragnarok the same thing didn't happen on PS4, where the graphics aren't very good, but its PS5 version is beautiful.
Bro I was genuinely worried that I was going to not like GOW 2018 as much anymore after playing the Greek games, because of 2018 and Ragnarok's slower pace compared to its predecessors, but to my shock....I actually think the game becomes better when you have prior context to the story. Like it is so satisfying seeing Kratos, who had to constantly be hit with constant tragedy upon tragedy, and slowly turning into a monster throughout the Greek Saga, go from how he was reduced to in God of War III to slowly but surely learning to forgive himself for the shit he did in the past and becoming a great father and friend to the people who genuinely love and care about him.

IDC what David Jaffe says about the new Kratos, I think what the devs for 2018 and Ragnarok did was the natural progression for Kratos and I'm happy that my boi has been given a chance to be someone that people love rather then fear

In the first novel;

The Desert of Lost Souls is another dimension accessed by a magical gateway rather than being right next to Athens. Aphrodite teleports Kratos to Medusa's lair rather than her just hanging out in some random room near the docks of Athens. The pocket dimension is almost like a Domain Expansion rather than a portal (fixed in the second novel). Ares is killed by his own sword arm things.

In the second novel;
Athena blitzes Hermes at some point. Kratos summons all the Titans, including even trapped ones like Atlas.

Those are the major differences I can think of. The rest is just a lot of extra writing and characterization.
Do we books have any explanation about that regeneration of Kratos from God Of War 2018?

I was wondering, shouldn’t Helios get life manipulation, since his light was stated to give life to the world? As well as telekinesis via stopping kratos from his fall.

I’m pretty sure that was related to any attempt to unalive himself.
No, Cory also himself confirms that Kratos is cursed to walk the Earth forever. Kratos also constantly talks about being cursed with a "deathless misery".

He can't die of old age (He can't age to begin with) and he can't die of organ damage (He doesn't need them anyway)

No, Cory also himself confirms that Kratos is cursed to walk the Earth forever. Kratos also constantly talks about being cursed with a "deathless misery".

He can't die of old age (He can't age to begin with) and he can't die of organ damage (He doesn't need them anyway)
So that Hera quote is a fake, bro? (man, I have no idea who gave Kratos such good immortality, but that's a hell of a show)

I recall a part of that curse encompassing him not being able to kill himself if he wanted too, deathless misery makes sense since he will have to live with all of the sins and guilt that he bears+ thor kills him technically

That curse also grants him eternal life.
Doesn't that seem a bit redundant to give a deathless curse to someone who, like most gods, can't die from natural causes and age or was the curse just extra steps taken to ensure that even suicide wouldn't be enough to escape his misery?

Kratos just couldn't catch a break after GOW III...makes me glad that he was given the chance to redeem himself and gain friends and family that legitimately love him, he needed it after so many years of misery and seeing himself as the scum of the world

Last edited:
I was wondering, shouldn’t Helios get life manipulation, since his light was stated to give life to the world? As well as telekinesis via stopping kratos from his fall.
I'm pretty sure that's just referring to the fact that he's well, the Sun. Life wouldn't exist without that.

He'd still get telekinesis though wouldn't he? He was the one that caught Kratos in Chains as he and Kratos point out.
I actually forgot that was a thing TBF. I was planning on adding it to the gods at large, Athena's also got feats for Telekinesis.

Do You have cory statament btw? I tried to find iy but couldn't

Quick question, is there a reason how Kratos was able to keep the Blades of Chaos under his house? They’re linked to him and we know that he couldn’t get rid of them as they always came back.

I know gameplay wise it was to have a nostalgic scene of acquiring them, but lore wise I kinda wonder how he was able to travel the different realms without them following him if he ever decided to just ditch the house.

Quick question, is there a reason how Kratos was able to keep the Blades of Chaos under his house? They’re linked to him and we know that he couldn’t get rid of them as they always came back.

I know gameplay wise it was to have a nostalgic scene of acquiring them, but lore wise I kinda wonder how he was able to travel the different realms without them following him if he ever decided to just ditch the house.
Possibly because he had come to terms with the Blades that he'd never be able to get rid of them, it was his prior decision to throw them away that made them keep coming back.

Possibly because he had come to terms with the Blades that he'd never be able to get rid of them, it was his prior decision to throw them away that made them keep coming back.

So basically intent? They stay put if he knows he can’t get rid of them but the moment he tries they come to him?

I'm pretty sure that's just referring to the fact that he's well, the Sun. Life wouldn't exist without that.
I mean, isn’t the temple what works as a personification of the sun ? And Helios’s energy is just primordial fire, which is stated to have given life to the world or something like that.

I mean, isn’t the temple what works as a personification of the sun? And Helios’s energy is just primordial fire, which is stated to have given life to the world or something like that.
Not really, no. At least, not in the way like Chaos, who actually birthed all the major Primordials, the Primordial Fire, and what-have-you.

It's cool to know that Kratos' weapons have a personality, it reminded me of Devil May Cray

Back