• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

1. GoW2 Kratos at best could only stalemate the dude, Zeus then flared up, grew in power and proceeded to completely overpower Kratos, forcing him to play possum to kill Zeus.

2. By GoW3 however, due to how many times Kratos ganked Zeus with the Blade of Olympus, Zeus swelled up massively in power yet again and then proceeded to one-shot Kratos with his bolts to the point where he could not even hold on to the Blade of Olympus lodged into Gaia, the same dude who as a Demigod could vertically climb up Pandora's Mountain for 3 days straight with no food or water with ease and then proceed to clear the entire Temple of its threats. Zeus becomes even stronger during the course of the Final Boss Fight as stated by the GoW3 Brady Guide.

GoW2 Novel Chapter 34.

Literally just answered your question mate. They have Accelerated Development and Reactive Evolution, both Zeus and Kratos.

Maybe I should reword what I said. Even by what you're saying it makes no sense....

So Kratos stalemates Zeus showing he about comparable to him.

Ok...and in GOW 2 Novels...it is shown Zeus can one shot Poseidon and Hades whenever he feels like it. With me so far?

But then stronger beginning of GOW 3 Kratos is getting matched by Hades and Poseidon during their fights.

Which would mean Poseidon and Hades>>>GOW 2 Zeus which contradicts the whole Zeus being the mightiest of the gods thing and him being able to one shot them both casually

That is what I am asking

Also I'm pretty sure Zeus was toying with Kratos in GOW2
At the beginning maybe I could believe it but once Kratos is coming close to beating him?

It would make no sense, he is not so arrogant as to choose to hold back when he might die

Like Athena literally had to save his life ya know?

I just wanna clear this scene up

if I am wrong then I am cool with that

At the beginning maybe I could believe it but once Kratos is coming close to beating him?

It would make no sense, he is not so arrogant as to choose to hold back when he might die

Like Athena literally had to save his life ya know?

I just wanna clear this scene up

if I am wrong then I am cool with that
Yeah, but he does pretty much confirm it " I am through toying with you Kratos!" And Kratos couldn't overpower him, and Kratos had to trick him

But then stronger beginning of GOW 3 Kratos is getting matched by Hades and Poseidon during their fights.
Eh... no. It would appear that way if you played on the hardest difficulty, but the reality of the situation is, it's a video game. It's a boss fight, and there has to be some level of engagement with the boss. If he truly one-shotted them (Which he was already doing to Poseidon's Hippocamp in the QTEs) the game would've been over way too fast. Game dynamics need to exist to preserve that sense of tension and drama. It's the same argument as "Why is Fear Zeus not Low 1-C in durability despite taking multiple hits from Hope Kratos".

Plus, Kratos loves brutalizing his opponents and giving them the worst kinds of deaths one could ever imagine. In the cutscenes, Poseidon doesn't even stand a chance against the likes of Kratos.

The ironic thing is, Poseidon was supposed to be a much tougher fight where even his human only form required Kratos and Gaia to beat. Instead, Hades got that distinction of providing the better fight.

However, in Hades' case, the millions of souls drowned from Poseidon's Death Flood, all reach the Underworld which amplifies Hades even further. Ultimately however, it matters little, Kratos overpowers and kills him.

Which would mean Poseidon and Hades>>>GOW 2 Zeus which contradicts the whole Zeus being the mightiest of the gods thing and him being able to one shot them both casually
Not necessarily no.

Yeah, but he does pretty much confirm it " I am through toying with you Kratos!" And Kratos couldn't overpower him, and Kratos had to trick him

The scene where he kneels with his back turned yh

but then kratos is able to stab him multiple times

I mean even if he was somewhat off guard...considering zeus can one shot the other brother kings with casual strikes it is odd

Hmm, guess I will have to see when I just finally watch the gameplay

I know I said I would start weeks ago but I been so busy lmao and so tired

Zeus is consumed with Fear here. He is nothing if not trigger-happy with his bolts at this state.

But Zeus does literally admit to having had enough of playing games with Kratos and then swells back up to full power to show Kratos just how utterly ****** he really is, forcing Kratos to take advantage while Zeus' guard is down.

That same trick doesn't work twice. In GoW3, Kratos had to give it all his might to even get into a stalemate with Zeus to then finally shish kebab him. Nothing short of his skill would save him in this match. Even when exhausted Kratos tried ramming the Blade the same way but Zeus has already learned of his mistake and the epic push-pull segment with the Blade ensues.

but then kratos is able to stab him multiple times
Kratos had the Blade of Olympus aiding him, the Blades of Athena were quickly dislodged by Zeus. If you fail the QTEs, Zeus kills you instantly. That's how dangerous he is even when thrown off-guard.

I mean even if he was somewhat off guard...considering zeus can one shot the other brother kings with casual strikes it is odd
Not really, just shows how far Kratos has come to the foray.

this picture is good example regarding finite hypervolume.
21282f7d-4da3-42db-aba6-2f76992e1b60

same case like yggrassil. The size can be infinite, but the volume is not. In 3D modelling world there is imaginary box called "bounding box" to represent volume of 3D model. Usually simple model like 3D cube able to fill the hypervolume completely, while complex shapes like tree is not.

But still yggrassil can get 5-D due to powerscalling stuff (thanks to light of alfheim)
my reason why powerscaling works despite finite volume stuff is because tier concept use measure theory while powerscaling concept use simple algebra (a>b>c) so different mathematical expression here

Hypothetically, deformable object with finite volume able to increase it's volume to infinite, but this requires special feat like for example, the object keep grow infinitely or something similar like that.

It has pretty great highs but the lows bring it down a lot. I don't hate the game but it could be better.

Also, I'm fairly generous not naming it my worst outright. Did you think I'd put it in GoW 2/3 tier lol?
Expectations for the game were high and there is a lot that has not yet been revealed in terms of story. They had to spend at least 30 hours to fit the story of 2 games in one game, but they completed the game in about 20 hours. There are also very boring hours in the game. The first hours of the game are great, but the rest of the game...

In short, Ragnarok was far below expectations.

Norse saga was honestly rushed from the very start. Nobody ever talks it, but I honestly don't like Kratos was just thrown into Norse mythology, randomly had a son with a wife we never even see until the next game, all without even really explaining how he survived and got to there, eventually doing so in the novel, but never referencing this in Ragnarok.

It payed off, as 2018 was incredible, but honestly, I think this era should've have started with Kratos meeting and settling down with Faye

I still think Norse Saga should have been a trilogy like the Greek Saga's main games

Flesh things out
A lot of my issues with Ragnarok came to the pacing and plot progression so a trilogy would have fixed up the Norse saga immensely. The Greek Era had the advantage of its story being very easily segmented into 3 games in comparison but they could've had it work if they tried.

I love 2018 a whole lot more cause it felt like a concise and heartfelt introduction to the new saga and never really dragged on, story wise. That and the Norse games clear the Greek saga in world building and in-game lore composition.

Ragnarok should've been divided into two games; one that leans more into Fimbulwinter and the build up to Ragnarok and another that focuses on the beginning of the end and the event itself. Not only would spreading arcs through these games help with the pacing (Ironwood anybody?) but it wouldn't cheapen the final battle as much as it was.

Sorry for the rant lol.

Norse saga was honestly rushed from the very start. Nobody ever talks it, but I honestly don't like Kratos was just thrown into Norse mythology, randomly had a son with a wife we never even see until the next game, all without even really explaining how he survived and got to there, eventually doing so in the novel, but never referencing this in Ragnarok.

It payed off, as 2018 was incredible, but honestly, I think this era should've have started with Kratos meeting and settling down with Faye
Tbh, I'm alright with the mystery aspect of the whole thing. I just wish they put more of an emphasis on it.

I feel like Poseidon's power should also qualify for EE. Saint Seiya Hades has EE for the same reason. Especially given how souls in GOW work.

3 least favorite gow game
Betrayal (shouldn't exist), Chains of Olympus (2nd worst), and God of War 1 (3rd worst).

The last one is a hot take, but I didn't really like the OG GoW game as much as the other ones (barring Chains of Olympus and Betrayal).

Also, I liked Ragnarok more than God of War 2018. That's yet another hot take. My favourite GoW game is GoW 2.

I didn't really appreciate God of War (2018) in terms of plot progression, pacing and runic attack variety until I played Ragnarok. For all that I like the latter, it took a downturn in those aspects.

Back