• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Has she ever used any of those options in-battle? Would it be in-character for her to use those techniques?
She whipped out mind control during battles with Asgard, forcing their troops into attacking each, Seidr magic she's pulled out a few times (She uses it to fire poison at Kratos as an easy example).

Btw, seeing it's more or less slated that Loki will surpass his father (what with that being Kratos' expectation and the general trend of Chaos' divine lineage), what do you think his main powers will be in his prime? Like how Kratos' core powers are Reactive Evolution, Rage Power, Accelerated Development and Superhuman Physical Characteristics.

Personally, I'm thinking Shape-shifting, Power Mimicry, Soul Manipulation and Illusions.

Atreus getting power mimicry to go along with his shapeshifting would be rad as hell. He can turn into you AND get access to everything you have.

Can also see him getting illusion abilities, would help him fit into the trickster role and could be useful in gameplay. Atreus ain't great up close so using illusions to distract and/or lead enemies away from himself so he can fire arrows would be dope.

Atreus getting power mimicry to go along with his shapeshifting would be rad as hell. He can turn into you AND get access to everything you have.

Can also see him getting illusion abilities, would help him fit into the trickster role and could be useful in gameplay. Atreus ain't great up close so using illusions to distract and/or lead enemies away from himself so he can fire arrows would be dope.
I'd imagine tying the shapeshifting/mimicry to some sort of meter. We should've been able to go bear during Ragnarok 😭

Wait, there's something I'm a bit confused about. Did Kratos really ever stop being the God of War, specifically a full God? Like yes, Zeus took away his godly status when he stabbed him with the Blade of Olympus in God of War II, but he specifically went back in time to avoid his death. By taking control of his own thread of fate and destiny, didn't he regain his title as the God of War? Hercules even says that he planned to kill Kratos to take the mantle as the God of War, just as Kratos had done with Ares. So wouldn't that mean he's not a demigod anymore, but just a full God?

Wait, there's something I'm a bit confused about. Did Kratos really ever stop being the God of War, specifically a full God? Like yes, Zeus took away his godly status when he stabbed him with the Blade of Olympus in God of War II, but he specifically went back in time to avoid his death. By taking control of his own thread of fate and destiny, didn't he regain his title as the God of War? Hercules even says that he planned to kill Kratos to take the mantle as the God of War, just as Kratos had done with Ares. So wouldn't that mean he's not a demigod anymore, but just a full God?
He never stopped being the God of War in name and Title, ever, just in terms of retaining powers and god physiology, until of course, he gained them all back.

It's just one of many reason why we don't tier Kratos according to his game appearances aside from the insane amount of clutter and statpadding that it would amount to.

He fully regained his Godly Powers in GOW3 given the BoO doesn't light up unless he is touching it...so yeah he's sorta the God Of War.

Though by the End Of GOW3 he losses all his powers and magic once he stabs himself with the BoO infused with Hope, so he's essentially a demigod now.

Ok KLOL explained it better than me.

What? No. Setting aside the fact that he truly lost all of his godly powers and magic after giving Hope to the world, Kratos' never actually takes the mantle back (funnily enough, he says as much in the novels). He retrieves his powers and immortality from the Blade but the godhead itself is gone.

He's now just an immortal demigod that somehow has raw strength that rivals God-Kings, like Hercules. I have some fan theories on how this happened since he lost everything but honestly the main point is that he's physiologically just a cursed demigod now.

What? No. Setting aside the fact that he truly lost all of his godly powers and magic after giving Hope to the world, Kratos' never actually takes the mantle back (funnily enough, he says as much in the novels). He retrieves his powers and immortality from the Blade but the godhead itself is gone.

He's now just an immortal demigod that somehow has raw strength that rivals God-Kings, like Hercules. I have some fan theories on how this happened since he lost everything but honestly the main point is that he's physiologically just a cursed demigod now.
It seems so confusing on what actually makes him different physiologically as a demi-god than a full God. Like what exactly did Zeus take then? What defines him as a God physiologically? Did he just become a renegade God instead of just a demigod, cuz there's evidence to imply that as well. Like, when Kratos stabbed himself with the Blade of Olympus, the blade's glow disappeared as it was stabbed within his body. Doesn't that imply Kratos fully re-absorbed the power that had been stolen by Zeus before?

Technically speaking, he is indeed an immortal demigod with God-king level strength, yeah. But it's weird that the devs and even the Norse people acknowledge Kratos to be a full-blooded God, and eventually Kratos himself states to Atreus that he was born a God, a stark jump from what he admitted himself as prior.

As for the Title itself, while he himself does not like being called the God of War, he is still addressed as such by the Greeks and Norse, despite the Greeks' immense distaste for his mortal origins. Hephaestus clearly makes the reference, saying how Aphrodite conjured another God of War, despite the complete cessation of his godhead.

It seems so confusing on what actually makes him different physiologically as a demi-god than a full God.
No one really knows, and even the "giving up all that which made you mortal" stuff is super-vague to boot.

Like what exactly did Zeus take then?
Pretty much everything he had, his godhead, immortality, god-powers from Ares, and the other power-ups he got in GoW1. All inside the Blade.

What defines him as a God physiologically?
Literally up in the air at this point.

Did he just become a renegade God instead of just a demigod, cuz there's evidence to imply that as well.
Nah, there's no such thing as a "renegade God". You don't remain a god if you're not having the best of relations with your pantheon.

It seems so confusing on what actually makes him different physiologically as a demi-god than a full God. Like what exactly did Zeus take then? What defines him as a God physiologically?
The godhead and its powers I'd think. That abstract title that allows him to embody his domain and such. Without it, he's still a demigod, his overall power level, immortality and abilities aside.

Technically speaking, he is indeed an immortal demigod with God-king level strength, yeah. But it's weird that the devs and even the Norse people acknowledge Kratos to be a full-blooded God, and eventually Kratos himself states to Atreus that he was born a God, a stark jump from what he admitted himself as prior.

As for the Title itself, while he himself does not like being called the God of War, he is still addressed as such by the Greeks and Norse, despite the Greeks' immense distaste for his mortal origins. Hephaestus clearly makes the reference, saying how Aphrodite conjured another God of War, despite the complete cessation of his godhead.
The developers also acknowledge that he's a demigod at times.

As for the Norse people, from their perspective he's an immortal being that's fought and slain gods so it's likely that they can't really fathom him being anything but a deity. Not to mention the fact that "godhood" is very nebulous in the Northern lands. Thor is technically a demigod for example.

The Greeks were a mixed bag. Hephaestus calls him a god. Hermes calls him a mortal etc.

So Norse Kratos isn't a full blooded god anymore correct?
On technical grounds, yes.

But if you take devs and the Norse peeps into account, no. For some reason. Unless being immortal and/or god-level strength is all that it takes to be acknowledged as a God in Norse, but then uh... Egypt also exists.

The developers also acknowledge that he's a demigod at times.
I think it was Matt Sophos who stated as such? Cory straight up stated him to be a God, flat-out.

As for the Norse people, from their perspective he's an immortal being that's fought and slain gods so it's likely that they can't really fathom him being anything but a deity. Not to mention the fact that "godhood" is very nebulous in the Northern lands. Thor is technically a demigod for example.
It's also kind of vague in Egypt. Thoth doesn't hesitate to call him as such.

The Greeks were a mixed bag. Hephaestus calls him a god. Hermes calls him a mortal etc.
Majority of the Gods save for Hephaestus called him a mortal.

My personal theory is that when Fear Zeus struck then killed him, he destroyed absolutely everything Kratos had amassed up to that point, leaving him a mortal demigod right before he killed him. And when Hope awakened and he wielded it against Fear, his demigod body's innate reactive evolution and development pushed his being to a level rivalling God-Kings so he could keep up with its power without being consumed, on top of making him immortal. Which would explain why he's as strong as his old Greek era self right now despite lacking everything that allowed him to be that strong initially (Titan magics, godly powers, Hades' soul, Athena's powers etc.)

My personal theory is that when Fear Zeus struck then killed him, he destroyed absolutely everything Kratos had amassed up to that point, leaving him a mortal demigod right before he killed him. And when Hope awakened and he wielded it against Fear, his demigod body's innate reactive evolution and development pushed his being to a level rivalling God-Kings so he could keep up with its power without being consumed, on top of making him immortal. Which would explain why he's as strong as his old Greek era self right now despite lacking everything that allowed him to be that strong initially (Titan magics, godly powers, Hades' soul, Athena's powers etc.)
When Hope got to him, Kratos was no longer Kratos, he was effectively an abstraction that went above and beyond even the worst of the Great Evils and was now rivalling Athena's existence itself. His hands turned incandescent at its activation.

The GoW wiki states that he's still a full-blooded god. It's really unclear.
On technical grounds, yes.

But if you take devs and the Norse peeps into account, no. For some reason. Unless being immortal and/or god-level strength is all that it takes to be acknowledged as a God in Norse, but then uh... Egypt also exists.
Weird

Cause I also remember how everyone in the Norse called him a god

Unless they count demigods as gods he should still be a full blooded god no?

When Hope got to him, Kratos was no longer Kratos, he was effectively an abstraction that went above and beyond even the worst of the Great Evils and was now rivalling Athena's existence itself. His hands turned incandescent at its activation.
Yeah dude, that's why I said personal theory lol.

But fr, his body was still channelling it while that happened to me, that'd have been enough to trigger the growth.

It's not like it made him Hope level of course. But I'd like to think his body just brought itself to what it registered as its "peak" despite lacking everything while wielding Hope.

Weird

Cause I also remember how everyone in the Norse called him a god

Unless they count demigods as gods he should still be a full blooded god no?
Magni and Modi are considered gods at times lol. Heck, Thor is only half-Aesir and Loki is 1/4 god. I think it's just all over the place.

Personally, I believe Kratos remained a full-blooded God once he regained control of his own thread of fate and stabbed himself with the Blade of Olympus. The GoW wiki seems to be of the same consensus, since Kratos is listed as a full God and Atreus is listed as a half-God.

Something else I wondered is what giving the power of Hope did for the remaining mortals in the Greek world? Like did it give them some sort of supernatural strength, or just the will to keep going on? I think it'd be awesome if on his travels through the realms to search for the Giants, he comes across the Greek world and see how they've built in the decades since Kratos left.

Personally, I believe Kratos remained a full-blooded God once he regained control of his own thread of fate and stabbed himself with the Blade of Olympus. The GoW wiki seems to be of the same consensus, since Kratos is listed as a full God and Atreus is listed as a half-God.
1. The God of War wiki is a fan wiki. I can go there and write 5-D Yggdrasil. It's not infallible at all.

2. Kratos himself acknowledges his half-mortal self in the game.

2. Godhood has nothing to do with controlling your thread of destiny.

Back