• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Siphon. It absorbs whatever energy source or elemental the enemy is using, grants Kratos resistance to said elemental or energy source, while also simultaneously reducing the enemy's resistance to said energy source/elemental.
Oh i see, my description only mentions getting the rest not reducing it

So would Norse Gods like Baldur, Magni, Modi, Laufey, Sigrun, base Atreus, Freyr and Heimdall scale to the Greek Gods like Ares, Hades and Poseidon? All those Norse characters are shown to be on-par with a weaker and rustier Kratos, who should be comparable to the strongest Greek Gods Kratos fought before being strengthened by his battles with the Greek gods and obtaining Hades' soul.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm curious, how exactly does Baldur scale compared to the Brother Kings and Ares?

Because we know he downscales from Jormie, which should already put him above the Brother Kings in AP but still below GoW3 Kratos tier people.

Also, 2018 Kratos badly hurt Baldur's dragon and made it fall to its death, and Heimdall implied that dragon would've been a threat to him.

Yeah, I'm curious, how exactly does Baldur scale compared to the Brother Kings and Ares?

Because we know he downscales from Jormie, which should already put him above the Brother Kings in AP but still below GoW3 Kratos tier people.
I'm curious about this as well. Personally, I'm still against Hades and Poseidon being so drastically weaker than characters like Hercules and Zeus that it's one-shot worthy. I believe the characters I listed above would only be slightly higher in AP than the Brother Kings and Ares.
Also, 2018 Kratos badly hurt Baldur's dragon and made it fall to its death, and Heimdall implied that dragon would've been a threat to him.
Heimdall mentioned specifically that the dragon's flames and the heat generated would burn Heimdall, but since Baldur was immune to senses heat and cold don't really affect him, so that's not really an AP feat.

Pretty sure Zeus was gonna straight up one shot Hades in the novels bruh lmao

And that was GOW 2 Zeus...who's supposed to be decent bit weaker than his GOW 3 self

Btw, I think these people need profile revisions:
  • Gna (needs separate tabs for her Vanir and Bifrost powers)
  • Heimdall (Needs Bifrost powers in a new tab)
  • Atreus (His profile literally has zero resistances)

Pretty sure Zeus was gonna straight up one shot Hades in the novels bruh lmao
Yeah he was gonna smite Hades with a single swing of the Blade of Olympus, hell Zeus pulling out a single thunderbolt made both Hades and Poseidon back down at the same time, even combined those two did not want that smoke from Zeus.

So would Norse Gods like Baldur, Magni, Modi, Laufey, Sigrun, base Atreus, Freyr and Heimdall scale to the Greek Gods like Ares, Hades and Poseidon? All those Norse characters are shown to be on-par with a weaker and rustier Kratos, who should be comparable to the strongest Greek Gods Kratos fought before being strengthened by his battles with the Greek gods and obtaining Hades' soul.
Laufey backscales from Thor to a debatable degree. Base Atreus is the most inconsistent mofo alive, beyond being nebulously "god level". Heimdall is around Ares level via Kratos' "gods greater than him" statement and the fact that Mimir agrees with him on that end. Magni and Modi are unquantifiable, seeing as you oneshot Magni in the novels. Sigrun is > Baldur but that's nebulous beyond just being << Ragnarok Kratos.

Freyr backscales from Ragnarok, seeing as he and his sister fight him for a while.

I'm curious about this as well. Personally, I'm still against Hades and Poseidon being so drastically weaker than characters like Hercules and Zeus that it's one-shot worthy. I believe the characters I listed above would only be slightly higher in AP than the Brother Kings and Ares.
Zeus twirled lightning between his fingers and both Poseidon and Hades were too scared to say anything to him. Later on, he mentally considers flicking the Blade of Olympus and oneshotting Hades. And this is before his massive power boosts after the Summit of Sacrifice.

Zeus oneshots them to hell lmfao.

Yeah, plus GOW3 Kratos ran through them like a flaming chainsaw through butter.

Shout out to the humiliation he gave Hades, because not only did he have massively influx of Souls from the deaths caused by the flood Poseidon made when dying and the boost he gets from being in the underworld, but Kratos also was nerfed from the river Styx.

Yeah, plus GOW3 Kratos ran through them like a flaming chainsaw through butter.

Shout out to the humiliation he gave Hades, because not only did he have massively influx of Souls from the deaths caused by the flood Poseidon made when dying and the boost he gets from being in the underworld, but Kratos also was nerfed from the river Styx.
So basically Hades needed his own power + entire Underworld and all it's souls + amp in soul supply because Kratos did Kratos things, AND Kratos being nerfed by Styx, just to fight him on relatively even terms.

Sounds about right.

Zeus twirled lightning between his fingers and both Poseidon and Hades were too scared to say anything to him. Later on, he mentally considers flicking the Blade of Olympus and oneshotting Hades. And this is before his massive power boosts after the Summit of Sacrifice.

Zeus oneshots them to hell lmfao.
Is it referring to the evidence on Zeus' page where the links to the novel say that he can one-shot them? In my opinion, that evidence doesn't say that Zeus could casually kill them with a lightning bolt. All the first link implies is that Zeus intimidated Hades into submission with the possibility of a fight, but it doesn't expressly say that Zeus could've killed Hades with those lightning bolts. I don't know, I just don't like the idea of there being such a large gap. And why do we consider the novels canon again?

Is it referring to the evidence on Zeus' page where the links to the novel say that he can one-shot them? In my opinion, that evidence doesn't say that Zeus could casually kill them with a lightning bolt. All the first link implies is that Zeus intimidated Hades into submission with the possibility of a fight, but it doesn't expressly say that Zeus could've killed Hades with those lightning bolts. I don't know, I just don't like the idea of there being such a large gap. And why do we consider the novels canon again?
The fact that both Poseidon and Hades immediately got scared and backed down the second Zeus began to suggest he might hurl a bolt at them, even if you don't want to believe would one-shot them, still shows that he's so much stronger than them that even together they won't even think about trying anything at all against him. Also there's a explicit statement of Zeus being able to kill Hades with just a single swing of the blade of olympus.

Novel are canon because why wouldn't they be? I'm pretty sure someone who worked on the games confirmed they're secondary canon as well, got mentioned earlier when a "quality" debunk was brought up saying the novels weren't canon only for there to be a statement that nah they are.

...Because they're accepted as secondary canon by the devs? And really, assuming a fight is asinine when later we get an express confirmation that one flick of the Blade would send Hades the way of Ares. Not to mention, he throws a temper tantrum whose stray bolts could insta-kill Athena if they landed.

A small spark from Zeus's lightning threatened to incinerate Athena, who is comparable to Ares and Brother Kings. So
A single small spark.....
The fact that Zeus one shotted the entire Titan race is also proof that his brothers hold no candle to him. Hades and Posiedon are comparable to Atlas and Cronos, and they were soloed along with their Titan siblings.
And if you needed in-game confirmation, this is it. Poseidon and Hades needed to tag team or 1v1 Titans during the war and Zeus rolls up and oneshots the entire race.

What you doing invested into GoW recently anime freak?
Always was kinda interested in it despite never playing the game myself...watched some of the story on youtube and shit...

Started getting really into it...plan on watching the entire story beginning to end ( current ragnarok ) this summer

and maybe if I can save up enough money..buy a PC and play it myself

How does Kratos saying "I've killed gods greater than him" mean that Heimdall is Ares level or even remotely imply that? Or are we saying that Heimdall is AT BEST Ares level since he's capped by that statement?
I agree.

Kratos hadn't even seen Heimdall at this point.

Also, the Brother Kings can get one-shot by GoW2 Zeus.

Base Atreus can take plenty of hits from people comparable to GoW2 Zeus (Odin, Valkyries, etc) and NOT get one-shot, and Heimdall is well above Base Atreus.

The fact that both Poseidon and Hades immediately got scared and backed down the second Zeus began to suggest he might hurl a bolt at them, even if you don't want to believe would one-shot them, still shows that he's so much stronger than them that even together they won't even think about trying anything at all against him. Also there's a explicit statement of Zeus being able to kill Hades with just a single swing of the blade of olympus.

Novel are canon because why wouldn't they be? I'm pretty sure someone who worked on the games confirmed they're secondary canon as well, got mentioned earlier when a "quality" debunk was brought up saying the novels weren't canon only for there to be a statement that nah they are.
Novels are canon even without considering WoG, given how Surtr blatantly references the Blades of Chaos having Primordial fires within them, and how Freya can also hear prayers from other peeps far away, like the Greek Gods (Primordials, Titans and Olympians alike).

I'm sorry, what now?

Also, do you have the scan where tiny stray bolts from Zeus can kill Athena in the novel?
GOW2 Novel Chapter 26. Zeus' temper tantrums were going so far as to spook Poseidon all the way to the Audience Chambers.

GOW2 Novel Chapter 41 is the most blatant of them all.

“The Titans!” Zeus exploded to his feet and kept growing until his head pressed into the high dome of the audience chamber. His shoulders rippled with muscle and his eyes frosted over, then turned to burning white pools without definition. Athena had never seen her father so wroth.

Zeus clapped his hands together, and thunderbolts exploded. Athena threw up her arm to shield herself from the assault. If it had been directed solely at her, she would have died.

How does Kratos saying "I've killed gods greater than him" mean that Heimdall is Ares level or even remotely imply that? Or are we saying that Heimdall is AT BEST Ares level since he's capped by that statement?
I’d say Heimdall is comparable to Baldur, since he couldn’t really hurt Kratos and just lightly tussled him at most. He only hurt Kratos using Bifrost.

When it comes to Kratos' restraint in GOWR, is he restraining himself for the most part of the game and only going properly serious against Thor and Odin at the end or is he using the same level of restraint throughout the whole game bar the first Thor fight right at the beginning? If it's the former I don't see how Garm and Nidhogg would be considered to have comparable physical strength to him when (in the former case) he's restraining himself the whole time.

When it comes to Kratos' restraint in GOWR, is he restraining himself for the most part of the game and only going properly serious against Thor and Odin at the end or is he using the same level of restraint throughout the whole game bar the first Thor fight right at the beginning? If it's the former I don't see how Garm and Nidhogg would be considered to have comparable physical strength to him when (in the former case) he's restraining himself the whole time.
The former. He was also holding back against Thor and Odin, but was far more serious. Basically, holding back to a less extent.

When it comes to Kratos' restraint in GOWR, is he restraining himself for the most part of the game and only going properly serious against Thor and Odin at the end
Yes.

or is he using the same level of restraint throughout the whole game bar the first Thor fight right at the beginning?
He doesn't keep the same level of restraint throughout the game.

If it's the former I don't see how Garm and Nidhogg would be considered to have comparable physical strength to him when (in the former case) he's restraining himself the whole time.
Again, he doesn't keep the same level of restraint throughout the game, he's more relaxed about controlling his power and rather he's training to really get back into it.

Again, he doesn't keep the same level of restraint throughout the game, he's more relaxed about controlling his power and rather he's training to really get back into it.
Plus using that logic, no one in the Norse pantheon would scale to Kratos, since he never actually showed a blood-lusted fight.

Back