• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Wait, they didn't do a GoW3 novel even though IIRC they did one for GoW4?

That's weird as ****.
Yeah it's weird but when you look at the release times for the first two novels it kinda makes sense why GOW3 never got one.

The novel adaptation of GOW1 was released 2 months after GOW3 had come out, the adaptation of GOW2 was 3 years after that and came out close enough to Ascensions release that there's advertisements for the game in the novel, GOW 2018 was announced and brought into the public conscience in 2016 so at that point I don't think they wanted to go back and focus on the older games when they could just start working on a GOW 2018 novel to release alongside the big new title.

Maybe once/if the Ragnarok novel is written and published they'll go back and finish up the trilogy but even then I doubt it.

I hope the Ragnarok novel, whenever it comes out, gives us something that can help us scale Thrud.

Also, maybe it can give the Norse clearer scaling relative to the top-tier Greeks and hopefully give them some more hax.
We had a 4 hour discussion on Discord that still hasn't cleared up yet because of the scaling. It's a doozy.

We had a 4 hour discussion on Discord that still hasn't cleared up yet because of the scaling. It's a doozy.
Hence the need for a blog.

I just feel bad since I feel like this is driving you and KLOL crazy with how much we've discussed it.

Speaking of Discord, could I join the GoW discussion group?

shouldn't Freya get Dimensional BFR for easily Banishing Thor out of Jotunheim?
Yeah, she should. Plan to add that eventually.

Hence the need for a blog.

I just feel bad since I feel like this is driving you and KLOL crazy with how much we've discussed it.

Speaking of Discord, could I join the GoW discussion group?
It's less a GoW discussion group and more a general server that happens to discuss gow at times. Idk if I can invite, @KLOL506 can talk further.

And the blog is kinda the least of our concern. We're currently at an impasse regarding Thor scaling (because of course).

Yeah, she should. Plan to add that eventually.
Also, Heimdall's Bifrost powers need to be added, and Atreus's resistance section currently literally doesn't exist on his profile.
And the blog is kinda the least of our concern. We're currently at an impasse regarding Thor scaling (because of course).
I meant that I feel bad for driving you and KLOL crazy with all this constant debating about how Thor scales compared to the Brother Kings.

Also, Heimdall's Bifrost powers need to be added, and Atreus's resistance section currently literally doesn't exist on his profile.
Does Atreus ever even resist anything?
I meant that I feel bad for driving you and KLOL crazy with all this constant debating about how Thor scales compared to the Brother Kings.
It's kinda now down to a vote on whether Hercules should scale as comparable to Thor or not. It sounds simple but it alters the current scaling of top tiers massively.

He seemed fine in Helheim when he first went there in 2018 and assuming the heat spell Odin put on him wore off he was also fine there when he and Kratos fought Garm, so I guess maybe a resistance to cold temperatures?

Besides that I don't think he resists anything at all.

He resisted that Valkyrie who drove men insane when they looked at her.

He pulled his father out of the Light of Alfheim IIRC.

He was fine in Helheim.

I assume he has some others.
It's kinda now down to a vote on whether Hercules should scale as comparable to Thor or not. It sounds simple but it alters the current scaling of top tiers massively.
Not sure how that really affects top-tier scaling so much, but in terms of Raw strength Herc should be superior.

Pre-Hope Kratos >> Thor, and Hercules gave Pre-Hope Kratos the fight of his life.

That is, unless you want to interpret Kratos saying it was good for both him and Thor that their fight didn't conclude as him implying that Thor could keep up with his bloodlust, although considering Mimir implied that Stage 4 Kratos alone could have murdered Thor, I doubt this.

I mean, Thor also took a Stage 5/6 punch with no damage besides a lost tooth despite greatly holding back, but Hercules took a fuckton of Stage 6 punches from Pre-Hope Kratos and kept fighting.

He resisted that Valkyrie who drove men insane when they looked at her.
Oh yeah right he fought Gondul who drives people mad. Yeah a solid resistance to madness manipulation then.

He pulled his father out of the Light of Alfheim IIRC.
Ehhh, he didn't enter the light himself just quickly stuck his arms in to pull Kratos out. Not sure if that's enough to give him a resistance to it, maybe a limited one?

Oh yeah right he fought Gondul who drives people mad. Yeah a solid resistance to madness manipulation then.

Ehhh, he didn't enter the light himself just quickly stuck his arms in to pull Kratos out. Not sure if that's enough to give him a resistance to it, maybe a limited one?
His bear form also took hits from the Leviathan Axe.

Not sure how that really affects top-tier scaling so much, but in terms of Raw strength Herc should be superior.
Kratos gets no actual power boost between that fight and Zeus beyond a nebulous passive growth. So anyone who scales to Hercules will scale to those two. Aside from the fact that the whole "bloodlust Kratos >>>>Thor" is currently being very questioned while discussing it with supporters, Thor being able to stagger Valor when only Hercules could disturb Rage mode in the whole series says a lot.

Kratos gets no actual power boost between that fight and Zeus beyond a nebulous passive growth.
But he still got the Hades boost before the Hercules fight, so he's above Pre-Hades Kratos who Ragnarok Kratos without bloodlust scales to.
So anyone who scales to Hercules will scale to those two. Aside from the fact that the whole "bloodlust Kratos >>>>Thor" is currently being very questioned while discussing it with supporters, Thor being able to stagger Valor when only Hercules could disturb Rage mode in the whole series says a lot.
Valor?

And Hercules was making Post-Hades Kratos struggle. Even without the gauntlets Kratos was still struggling.

But he still got the Hades boost before the Hercules fight, so he's above Pre-Hades Kratos who Ragnarok Kratos without bloodlust scales to.

Valor?
The Rage variant. He's the only being in the Norse saga that can negate the healing and even knock him down out of the animation while doing it.
And Hercules was making Post-Hades Kratos struggle. Even without the gauntlets Kratos was still struggling.
Yes but then I look at both fights and realized that without looking at it through any preconceived lens, Thor almost snaps Kratos' neck and actually matched him in physical power a lot in that fight as well.

It's still in flux so I'd rather not get bogged down on something not yet accepted but yeah, it's not as solid as you'd think.

The Rage variant. He's the only being in the Norse saga that can negate the healing and even knock him down out of the animation while doing it.
Huh, interesting.
Yes but then I look at both fights and realized that without looking at it through any preconceived lens, Thor almost snaps Kratos' neck and actually matched him in physical power a lot in that fight as well.
Yeah, I just checked on youtube, and Thor can snap his neck with one hand, like GODDAMN this man is strong!

And we can't forget how he clashed multiple times with Kratos weapon-to-weapon in that QTE (which was really cool).

And he tanked a gazillion Draupnir impalement-explosions when a single one blew the arm off of Heimdall, who could somewhat match Kratos's AP and block his punches.
It's still in flux so I'd rather not get bogged down on something not yet accepted but yeah, it's not as solid as you'd think.
It'd be better to discuss this once a blog is finished.

That's how we got the Thor comparison to Poseidon, which is objectively not true.
Was that statement from before the game was officially released?

If so, it'd probably only apply to Holding Back Thor.

And can Hercules not do this to Valor Kratos?

And either way, Ragnarok Kratos = a Kratos who "sieged Olympus", aka Gow2/Pre-Hades Kratos, who is well below the Kratos who Hercules fought.

If so, it'd probably only apply to Holding Back Thor.
Idk. Either way, even End of II Kratos oneshots Poseidon via scaling.
And can Hercules not do this to Valor Kratos?
Hercules can cancel Spartan Rage with his most powerful attacks. I did this to show comparison.
And either way, Ragnarok Kratos = a Kratos who "sieged Olympus", aka Gow2/Pre-Hades Kratos, who is well below the Kratos who Hercules fought.
Yeah, if the scaling discussion goes goes way it's going, that'll be axed. But best to wait on that.

Yeah it was but it also wasn't meant to be a definitive answer for his strength since he didn't want to spoil how powerful Thor really was, he just said he could take on the Hippocampi as the bare minimum for how strong he was, not much to work with.

Hercules can cancel Spartan Rage with his most powerful attacks. I did this to show comparison.
So if I'm understanding this right the argument boils down to whether or not Thor is comparable or maybe somewhat superior to Hercules?

So if I'm understanding this right the argument boils down to whether or not Thor is comparable or maybe somewhat superior to Hercules?
Not quite the core of it but if the discussion is accepted, Thor will scale to Hercules. Which changes a helluva lot.

Ok, I've been playing God of War 3, and I have to say how weird the drastic difference in character Kratos is. It makes me feel as though the God of War III and the God of War 2018 Kratos are completely different characters. It's a mixture of demeanor, appearance, and personality that really sells this radical change for me.

Ok, I've been playing God of War 3, and I have to say how weird the drastic difference in character Kratos is. It makes me feel as though the God of War III and the God of War 2018 Kratos are completely different characters. It's a mixture of demeanor, appearance, and personality that really sells this radical change for me.
Kratos in 3 was just gone. Far too gone. Yet he still gave the gods an out. They refused, and thus paid the price.

Kratos in 2018 is still the same person, but a lot wiser and calmer. But to understand why he's like that, you'd need the previous games to truly understand how he ended up getting this far.

Kratos in 3 was just gone. Far too gone. Yet he still gave the gods an out. They refused, and thus paid the price.
An out of letting the entire world be destroyed doesn't sound very reasonable...
Kratos in 2018 is still the same person, but a lot wiser and calmer. But to understand why he's like that, you'd need the previous games to truly understand how he ended up getting this far.
I mean, I get he's the same person, and I saw shades of the newer Kratos in GoW III Kratos. Point is that GoW III Kratos was still really bloodthirsty, and it's not like the Kratos in the previous games was any better considering what he did.

Also, I just finished killing Zeus. I kept pressing the O button repeatedly even when the screen turned bloody. I thought "when the hell do I stop? How much ******* hatred did Kratos have to beat his father for like five minutes." Then my brother made the ever-so-smart suggestion of actually stopping pressing the button. It's interesting that the game-makers deliberately let you choose how long you beat Zeus.

Also, I just finished killing Zeus. I kept pressing the O button repeatedly even when the screen turned bloody. I thought "when the hell do I stop? How much ******* hatred did Kratos have to beat his father for like five minutes." Then my brother made the ever-so-smart suggestion of actually stopping pressing the button. It's interesting that the game-makers deliberately let you choose how long you beat Zeus.
Ah yes, the famous "beat Zeus until your fingers are as bloodied as his face".

An out of letting the entire world be destroyed doesn't sound very reasonable...
Still an out nonetheless. He offered to spare them if the gods didn't fight him. They refused. They died.

I mean, I get he's the same person, and I saw shades of the newer Kratos in GoW III Kratos. Point is that GoW III Kratos was still really bloodthirsty, and it's not like the Kratos in the previous games was any better considering what he did.
Everything Kratos did in the previous games had reason. It's just that he suffers from extreme tunnel vision during the events of GoW2 and GoW3.

He was a lot more repentant in GoW1, always near a point where he'd break into tears or just end his life. Him abandoning his daughter really doesn't help his case. Sure, he killed a lot, but at least he killed because he was commanded to do so.

Fast forward to Ghost of Sparta and now he has no family left. Kratos is downright on the brink of madness. All it takes is one last push- Destroying Sparta- and that's where he snaps. Pandora was the last bastion of hope Kratos had at a family and restoring his humanity (Which is why he took grave offense at Hera calling her a w****, and then snapped her neck in response), until Zeus goaded him into letting her go, and once Kratos finds out the box was empty and Pandora died for nothing... well, now Kratos had finally lost everything.

Good old "Cave your father's face in until there is nothing left". Never fails.

Back