• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Hercules is actually stronger than both Poseidon and Hades...but he's a demigod so he technically doesn't count.

@KLOL506 Do you know where it was said that Thor would've killed Kratos in their final battle had Kratos not changed his ways?

I just wanna add that to Thor's AP justifications.

If so, since Planck explained how it supports the notion that Thor = Serious Norse Kratos and Kratos wasn't holding back (not including him not being bloodlusted), I feel like it should be listed in Thor's Ap section.

Saw this golden comment on youtube in the comments of Surtr becoming Ragnarok:

Giants: "Okay guys, our race is literally facing extinction, desperate times call for desperate measures. Tyr, here is some of our primordial essence in the form of the Unity Stone."

Ares: "haha give spartan primordial fire knives, make people go big dead"

I disagree with its addition. Nothing in the article talks about Kratos dying if he refused to change his ways, but rather Kratos breaking his Fate from the old prophecy.

And we already discussed in detail that Serious Kratos was indeed holding back, albeit not as much as he did in the first fight. Bloodlusted Kratos would be the only one not holding back in any sense of the word, like the one we saw punch Thor's teeth out, who clearly wasn't the version that defeated Thor in the final fight.

I disagree with its addition. Nothing in the article talks about Kratos dying if he refused to change his ways, but rather Kratos breaking his Fate from the old prophecy.

And we already discussed in detail that Serious Kratos was indeed holding back, albeit not as much as he did in the first fight. Bloodlusted Kratos would be the only one not holding back in any sense of the word, like the one we saw punch Thor's teeth out, who clearly wasn't the version that defeated Thor in the final fight.
But Thor still fought evenly with a Kratos who is comparable to Pre-Hades Kratos, right?

And lost.
But what I'm asking is: Is he at least comparable in strength?

Because 1-2 days ago, everyone was saying that he one-shots Poseidon via being comparable to GoW2/Early Gow3 Kratos, and that Kratos was going all out as much as he could without being bloodlusted.

I pointed out that this Kratos (aka Stage 3 on the Rage level meter you made) easily won and humbled Thor's ass, and those like Planck said that Thor was portrayed as comparable to him and a dangerous opponent, even though I said that stuff like him killing Kratos in failed QTE's meant jack since even a wounded Poseidon can one-shot Kratos in a failed QTE.

But what I'm asking is: Is he at least comparable in strength?
To Stage 3 Ragnarok Kratos, yes, maybe Stage 4. To his Stage 5 and 6 selves? Absolutely not.

Because 1-2 days ago, everyone was saying that he one-shots Poseidon via being comparable to GoW2/Early Gow3 Kratos,
That's for Serious Thor. Held-back Thor is Poseidon level as per the journal's indication (Which'd imply Kratos wasn't fighting at Brother King level instead of the Greater-Than-Brother-King level that he used to kill Poseidon and Hades). Even then I'd believe Thor would take it handily.

and that Kratos was going all out as much as he could without being bloodlusted.
And just with that last bit, we know he's not going all-out. He's still held back, albeit to very minimal levels, so much so that it would take just one push over the edge for Kratos to lose it, like Heimdall.

I pointed out that this Kratos (aka Stage 3 on the Rage level meter you made) easily won and humbled Thor's ass, and those like Planck said that Thor was portrayed as comparable to him and a dangerous opponent, even though I said that stuff like him killing Kratos in failed QTE's meant jack since even a wounded Poseidon can one-shot Kratos in a failed QTE.
And that point still remains. Stage 3 is the maximum limit Kratos is willing to go against the likes of Thor because of the fear of losing control and ending up creating another Heimdall scenario.

To Stage 3 Ragnarok Kratos, yes, maybe Stage 4. To his Stage 5 and 6 selves? Absolutely not.

That's for Serious Thor. Held-back Thor is Poseidon level as per the journal's indication (Which'd imply Kratos wasn't fighting at Brother King level instead of the Greater-Than-Brother-King level that he used to kill Poseidon and Hades). Even then I'd believe Thor would take it handily.

And just with that last bit, we know he's not going all-out. He's still held back, albeit to very minimal levels, so much so that it would take just one push over the edge for Kratos to lose it, like Heimdall.

And that point still remains. Stage 3 is the maximum limit Kratos is willing to go against the likes of Thor because of the fear of losing control and ending up creating another Heimdall scenario.
By how much did kratos mellow out?

I never doubted that Rage Kratos flattens Thor, but he never used it against Thor, so I was only focusing on the form he actually used in his 2nd round with Thor.

By how much did kratos mellow out?
A lot. He's also grown considerably wiser.

Granted, all that rage is still there inside of him. He tried getting rid of it for so long, completely failing to realize that he should harness that rage for good, and instead train it to bring it under control and be able to use it more efficiently without going ham on everyone and everything.

A lot. He's also grown considerably wiser.

Granted, all that rage is still there inside of him. He tried getting rid of it for so long, completely failing to realize that he should harness that rage for good, and instead train it to bring it under control and be able to use it more efficiently without going ham on everyone and everything.
man I like this character development he has

I mean, Thor is stated to be the strongest Norse God, meaning he's above Freya, who's equal to Stage 3 Kratos.

So Thor could have actually been physically stronger than Stage 3 Kratos, but Kratos brought a cooler head, better skills, and better weaponry to the table.

I mean, Thor is stated to be the strongest Norse God, meaning he's above Freya, who's equal to Stage 3 Kratos.

So Thor could have actually been physically stronger than Stage 3 Kratos, but Kratos brought a cooler head, better skills, and better weaponry to the table.
I liked his spear in ragnarok

also the boss fights in ragnarok are much cooler compared to the first Norse game

I liked his spear in ragnarok
Me too.

But my favorite ability is where he makes magic swords out of thin air that wail on the enemy.
also the boss fights in ragnarok are much cooler compared to the first Norse game
I mean, they were better and in greater quantity, but I really, really liked the Magni & Modi fight as well as all 3 Baldur fights.

God, Baldur was such a fun villain.

Eh no, there's nothing to indicate she's equal to Stage 3 Kratos. I'd argue she's more so equal to the Kratos landing between Stage 2 and Stage 3, given that Kratos was a lot calmer against Odin and the latter himself isn't anywhere near their strength level physically speaking.

Nah, they were more or less comparable, they were matching each other blow-for-blow right till the very end, and BoC straight up overpowered Thor's control over Mjolnir.

Eh no, there's nothing to indicate she's equal to Stage 3 Kratos. I'd argue she's more so equal to the Kratos landing between Stage 2 and Stage 3, given that Kratos was a lot calmer against Odin and the latter himself isn't anywhere near their strength level physically speaking.
She was stated to be his equal, and he said he can't think of a stronger ally than her.

As for Odin, Kratos would have no reason to be holding back compared to his Thor fight, especially since Odin is an asshole who, unlike Thor, cannot be redeemed.
Nah, they were more or less comparable, they were matching each other blow-for-blow right till the very end,
Fair.

God, their weapons repeatedly colliding was the dopest part of the entire final battle.
and BoC straight up overpowered Thor's control over Mjolnir.
Tbf, that's mainly because it's a stronger weapon.

Like I said, one reason Kratos won was because he brought a better weapon to the fight.

Wtf is this stages y'all Talk about
Correct. There's 6 stages of Kratos RN that we adhere to based on the stuff the devs have given us based on him holding back and him reawakening his dormant powers which they left it at.

1. Calm, held-back state, below normal RPM range

2. Calm, but Spartan Rage, agressive revving

3. Calm but less held back, just under hitting the redline limiter (Thor rematch)

4. Unrestrained base, optimum peak performance, hitting the redline limiter (Heimdall death)

5. Unrestrained Spartan Rage, going into Redline (Thanatos and First Fight Thor ending)

6. Seeing Red, consumed by Vengeance, Redline exceeded and Engine Failure (GOW2 ending and most of GOW3)

The more he trains tho, the less he has to rely on his rage to tap back into his old dormant powers, which is why he didn't have to rage out against Thor in the final rematch and was able to easily manhandle Thor and show him who the real Destroyer is, which is where Stage 3 comes in. Still tho, Stage 6 is the one side nobody would ever scale to aside from Zeus.

I just realized how badly we need a power-scaling blog for the top tiers (Brother Kings, Thor/Odin, etc.).

Last edited:
I just realized how badly we need a power-scaling God for the top tiers (Brother Kings, Thor/Odin, etc.).
We already got the magic stuff layered up so that's no biggie. We just need the actual power-scaling part of all things.

She was stated to be his equal, and he said he can't think of a stronger ally than her.
Yeah, but we're never shown whether she's equal to his absolute peak self.

As for Odin, Kratos would have no reason to be holding back compared to his Thor fight, especially since Odin is an asshole who, unlike Thor, cannot be redeemed.
It's not like he has a murderous vendetta against Odin either, unlike Atreus and Freya.

Tbf, that's mainly because it's a stronger weapon.
Eh, not how the BoC work. It's stronger primarily from a durability and AP standpoint, it can't pull for itself, whatever pulling is done with it relies 100% on Kratos.

Like I said, one reason Kratos won was because he brought a better weapon to the fight.
Better weapons alone wouldn't guarantee him a win if he didn't know how to use them, if anything, Kratos learned from his initial mistakes and counteracted them with better battle experience and acumen. It's the clone wars all over again where Kratos barehandedly smashed better clones of his with the same equipment as him but stronger, but he was able to take them all out bare-handed because of better focus and far higher battle wisdom than most.

Why tartarus > alfheim again?
Hades magic, it was the only one that was actually able to be able to properly interact with Kratos' soul and threaten to tear it out, and it almost did actually. Of course, he resisted and overpowered it, but it still did a much more massive number on him than the LoA did, which couldn't even scratch him, BTW (even if it caused searing and burning pain).

We already got the magic stuff layered up so that's no biggie. We just need the actual power-scaling part of all things.
Exactly.

I just feel bad since we keep discussing this and I feel like we're driving you and Planck up a wall, so a blog would hopefully help settle things to some degree.

Correction: Kratos resists 99% of Odin's hax layered up and on steroids.

4D = Runic Magic = Seidr < Light of Alfheim < Energy of Tartarus < Lightning of Zeus < Sisters of Fate
The Tartarus being above Light of Alfheim makes sense FRA, but what's up with the Zeus Lightning and Sisters of Fate Scaling?

And no one scales to the SoF right?

Back