• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Kratos was still holding back a lot. And QTE's don't mean much, in GoW3 Poseidon while badly injured can oneshot Kratos in a failed QTE
Why do you think this though? Legitimately, you could make the case before in their first fight but here there's actually no "higher Kratos" that we've been shown for it to be a held back state. Other than his bloodlusted self.

Difference is though, that Poseidon is blatantly game cohesion and all of Thor's showings have him presented as a formidable foe to Kratos. Such as the death blow in the first bout and how Thor can grapple Kratos pretty good at times, to name a few.

He tries not to kill Thor yeah but that's not him "holding back a lot". He can get his neck snapped, he'd have died there if he didn't change his ways as per developers, Thor actually pushes him hard in that battle etc.

Bloodlusted Kratos is is End of III state, whom Thor doesn't scale to at all.
Compare that to the Odin fight, where Kratos had zero reason to hold back and Odin still matched him.
Odin had his magical versatility for that though. He canonically scales below Thor in strength. The artbook, cosplay guide and Odin's VA say as much.

Thanks.

I may have issues with the reference footnotes so if I end up making an error on Kratos's profile I apologize.
Changes are done.
We have multiple stages of Norse Kratos depending on his emotional level. Refer to the Rage Index I previously posted to get a better idea.
Stage 3 Kratos is comparable to GoW2 Zeus.

Thor was humbled by a holding-back Stage 3 Kratos.
That he did.
Yeah, you can't really say Kratos wasn't serious against him, especially since he had no reason to not be serious against a dude who gloated about wanting to kill Atreus, in contrast to wanting to save Thor.

More so that the strength of the fires in the blades were on par with those of Surtr's.
Pretty sure the BoC's fires scale above Surtr's on its profile.

Why do you think this though? Legitimately, you could make the case before in their first fight but here there's actually no "higher Kratos" that we've been shown for it to be a held back state. Other than his bloodlusted self.

Difference is though, that Poseidon is blatantly game cohesion and all of Thor's showings have him presented as a formidable foe to Kratos. Such as the death blow in the first bout and how Thor can grapple Kratos pretty good at times, to name a few.

He tries not to kill Thor yeah but that's not him "holding back a lot". He can get his neck snapped, he'd have died there if he didn't change his ways as per developers, Thor actually pushes him hard in that battle etc.

Bloodlusted Kratos is is End of III state, whom Thor doesn't scale to at all.
Ok, that's all fair.
Odin had his magical versatility for that though. He canonically scales below Thor in strength. The artbook, cosplay guide and Odin's VA say as much.
Raw Strength-wise yes, but he still should have higher overall AP with his magic., and his physical strength/durability should still be comparable to Thor's, especially since he matched Kratos's raw strength twice.

Ok, I got a problem with some of the evidence that GoW III Zeus stomps GoWII/beginning of GoW III Kratos. The attack that Zeus used to knock Kratos off of Olympus clearly was a charged attack given how much time Zeus prepared the lightning, so it wasn't like this casual bolt he summoned from his hand but a full-powered strike. Secondly, the attack didn't one-shot Kratos: it just knocked Kratos off Mount Olympus. The only one who actually looked injured was Gaia, but Kratos seemed perfectly fine, and even Gaia didn't look grievously injured afterward. So I don't see how that attack would justify Zeus as having jumped to a whole new level of power. I'm aware there's other evidence for Zeus' RE, but I'm just contesting this specific instance.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a problem with some of the evidence that GoW III Zeus stomps GoWII/beginning of GoW III Kratos. The attack that Zeus used to knock Kratos off of Olympus clearly was a charged attack given how much time Zeus prepared the lightning, so it wasn't like this casual bolt he summoned from his hand but a full-powered strike.
LMAO what

He literally channeled it into his usual sized bolts and hurled it at Kratos and Gaia. It was most definitely casual no matter how you slice it. It just shows just how much stronger Zeus has become within that timeframe.

Secondly, the attack didn't one-shot Kratos: it just knocked Kratos off Mount Olympus. The only one who actually looked injured was Gaia, but Kratos seemed perfectly fine, and even Gaia didn't look grievously injured afterward. So I don't see how that attack would justify Zeus as having jumped to a whole new level of power. I'm aware there's other evidence for Zeus' RE, but I'm just contesting this specific instance.
What cope is this.

Gaia's left arm got torn off, barely hanging on big-ass vines, Kratos got hurled back and couldn't do jackshit about it. Like seriously, what is this godawful take?

While I'd hesitate to call what Zeus did to Kratos a one shot he clearly rocked his shit in a way he just couldn't in their previous fight. That lightning bolt at the start of GOW III does noticeably more to Kratos than any of his attacks in GOW II did, that bolt sent my man Kratos flying at mach speeds when previously those bolts were like, just sorta staggering him.

Zeus tosses Kratos away with one bolt of lightning when previously, you were shrugging off blasts focused by the Blade of Olympus and weren't empowered by Athena's divinity on top of that.
This too. Kratos with the BoO could resist GoW2 Post-Zenkai Zeus' full onslaught of lightning, even if briefly with great effort. Here a single bolt of lightning was enough to shitcan Kratos.

And I find it hilarious that Gaia's profile says she can crush Zeus and Post-Hades Kratos when a single bolt from Zeus severed most of her arm.

While I'd hesitate to call what Zeus did to Kratos a one shot he clearly rocked his shit in a way he just couldn't in their previous fight. That lightning bolt at the start of GOW III does noticeably more to Kratos than any of his attacks in GOW II did, that bolt sent my man Kratos flying at mach speeds when previously those bolts were like, just sorta staggering him.
It didn't just rock his shit, it rocked Gaia's shit to the point where her left arm was nearly torn off. This is nothing short of a decisive one-shot.

LMAO what

He literally channeled it into his usual sized bolts and hurled it at Kratos and Gaia. It was most definitely casual no matter how you slice it. It just shows just how much stronger Zeus has become within that timeframe.
I don't know how you could classify the lightning bolt Zeus used as casual. It took more than 30 seconds to channel energy from the clouds into a lightning bolt that was placed into Zeus' hand before he fired it. Why didn't he instantly generate the lightning bolt instead? That would've a been casual attack.
What cope is this.

Gaia's left arm got torn off, barely hanging on big-ass vines, Kratos got hurled back and couldn't do jackshit about it. Like seriously, what is this godawful take?
Ok, I admit Gaia was critically injured. But Kratos couldn't do jack-shit about it cuz he was falling and had no way to fly, and cuz the game makers needed Kratos to fall so he could fight Hades. But that doesn't specifically mean the lightning bolt instantly weakened or defeated him. Kratos wasn't shown with near the same injuries, the same cackling electricity surrounding his body the way that Gaia was.

I'm not saying that Zeus didn't get stronger. All I'm saying is that evidence doesn't specifically display he became strong enough to one-shot Kratos.

Last edited:
I know it's been said a thousand times before, but DAMN Zeus really is built different
Funnily enough, the novels take it even further.

Him toying with a bolt of lightning between his fingers scares Poseidon and Hades and makes them fear for their lives.

He considered flicking the Blade of Olympus and sending Hades the way of Ares.

A recent interview. How Odin isn't the strongest god.
Personally, I find that stupid. Odin was capable of fighting Kratos, Freya, and Atreus all at once for quite a while. Freya has ABSOLUTELY no reason to hold back, and anybody who says she did is high. Sure, Kratos was holding back, but I don't see why he'd hold back more than he held back against Thor, especially considering he'd feel much less sympathy or understanding for Odin than he would for Thor. I feel like it'd be more in terms of physical strength, Thor is strongest, but Odin's got plenty of magic buffs to help even the odds for himself.

Personally, I find that stupid. Odin was capable of fighting Kratos, Freya, and Atreus all at once for quite a while. Freya has ABSOLUTELY no reason to hold back, and anybody who says she did is high. Sure, Kratos was holding back, but I don't see why he'd hold back more than he held back against Thor, especially considering he'd feel much less sympathy or understanding for Odin than he would for Thor. I feel like it'd be more in terms of physical strength, Thor is strongest, but Odin's got plenty of magic buffs to help even the odds for himself.
Local vs member learns that more factors go into a multi-person fight than "more numbers win".

More at eleven.

I don't know how you could classify the lightning bolt Zeus used as casual. It took more than 30 seconds to channel energy from the clouds into a lightning bolt that was placed into Zeus' hand before he fired it. Why didn't he instantly generate the lightning bolt instead? That would've a been casual attack.
He needed to prove a point. Also refer to what Planck said. Kratos was tanking said bolts left and right amped by BoO while himself having only Titan Powers to stave off the bullshit, then Zeus climbs and negs them both.

Ok, I admit Gaia was critically injured. But Kratos couldn't do jack-shit about it cuz he was falling and had no way to fly, and cuz the game makers needed Kratos to fall so he could fight Hades.
Dude, he literally has the goddamn wings of Icarus, WTF do you mean he can't fly?

He couldn't do anything because the sheer force of the attack was too much for him to handle to the point where he couldn't even hold on to the Blade lodged into Gaia. The same ******* Kratos who as a Demigod could climb the impossibly tall Pandora Mountain for 3 straight days without stopping, drinking or eating.

But that doesn't specifically mean the lightning bolt instantly weakened or defeated him.
Dude. We literally see it happen on screen.

Kratos wasn't shown with near the same injuries, the same cackling electricity surrounding his body the way that Gaia was.
You don't need to be injured or have any of those side-effects for a one-shot to take effect. If anything that's a minus on Gaia.

Even if Zeus got stronger, that evidence doesn't specifically display he became strong enough to one-shot Kratos.
You're literally being pedantic about this. We see the entire thing happen on screen.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a problem with some of the evidence that GoW III Zeus stomps GoWII/beginning of GoW III Kratos. The attack that Zeus used to knock Kratos off of Olympus clearly was a charged attack given how much time Zeus prepared the lightning, so it wasn't like this casual bolt he summoned from his hand but a full-powered strike
Zeus uses weather charged attack several times throughout GoW2, they never one shot Kratos.
Zeus used BoO liberally against Kratos in 2 and yet never one shot him. Zeus was going all out against Kratos in 2, GoW2 has impressive visuals to showcase it. Even moreso in novel.
GoW3 isn't special in that aspect. If you want a more impressive visual feat then just look at Zeus soloing Titans with a single blast.
Now unless you wanna say that was the last time Zeus ever used BoO in full power and never used full power again....... you can see how ridiculous that train of thought derails logic.

Don't look too much into visuals, it looks impressive but isn't that important narrative wise for power. Such things happen throughout fiction.

Secondly, the attack didn't one-shot Kratos: it just knocked Kratos off Mount Olympus. The only one who actually looked injured was Gaia, but Kratos seemed perfectly fine, and even Gaia didn't look grievously injured afterward. So I don't see how that attack would justify Zeus as having jumped to a whole new level of power. I'm aware there's other evidence for Zeus' RE, but I'm just contesting this specific instance.
It absolutely one shot him, look at that cutscene again properly. Kratos had BoO out even then he couldn't even hold on to his grip on Gaia. Like.... even as a demigod Kratos has scaled Pandora's Temple for 3 days and night without rest. Regularly scales vertical steeps through obstacles and enemies with crazy stunts without sweat like ******* Spiderman.
And somehow at start of 3 he was unable to hold on to himself?
It's obvious Zeus rocked his shit.
He didn't just fell, he straight up died and went to Underworld. Killed two times by his daddy.

Man, Kratos really went through all that effort in GOW2 to regain his Godhead, defeat the fates and take control of his own destiny (and destroy the concept of fate as a whole) bring back the Titan race only for Zeus to go "L+bozo" and one shot him.

No wonder he was so pissed off after that.

Man, Kratos really went through all that effort in GOW2 to regain his Godhead, defeat the fates and take control of his own destiny (and destroy the concept of fate as a whole) bring back the Titan race only for Zeus to go "L+bozo" and one shot him.

No wonder he was so pissed off after that.
This was no longer about being humbled, this was now deeply personal. So personal in fact that he would rip apart the entire pantheon just to see himself rip out Zeus' entrails with his bare hands to give him some semblance of fulfillment.

You know I was playing God of War III, and I realized that the camera doesn't move automatically with Kratos. I've been playing the two most recent GoW games, so it took me by surprise and kinda annoyed me that I have to position Kratos in a certain way to see things. Anybody else feel that way?

Back