• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

It also had 1 month to compete with effing Elden Ring. Let's not short that game its credit.

Tbh, I'm kinda glad the Norse saga kept a similar vibe. Made it feel more like a coherent and unified saga. Course I can perfectly understand why people would think otherwise.

I do hope they completely shake things up in any future installment.
Well, and also because they started gow ragnarok immediately after the 2018 game, so it didn't change much

They didn't need to (Nor should they) change anything to the seqeal to the same extent as they changed between the greek games and 2018, plus while I think Ragnarok not being as different did hamper it's chances to win GOTY compared to when the first game won back in 2018 it's honestly mostly because it had to compete with Elden Ring, and I think trying to go against an open world souls game was a losing battle from the start.

And it's not as though the circumstances were the same as the trilogy. God of War (2005) had to deal with being the franchise flagship. God of War 2 was a peak experience during the last days of the PS2. God of War 3 went so all out that its 8 year old remaster holds up today.

The revamp to the franchise goes without saying.

2018 and Ragnarok weren't as separated and seemed more like a two parter game than anything.

A lot of things for me really. No more buddies, just more playable characters. No more RPG elements. Camera not so close up. Weapon load outs.

What did you have in mind?
I'm ambivalent to the RPG elements (I think they fit the Norse saga well though) but I wouldn't mind them being removed. The camera should move further out. Not to the point of the God of War: Ascension nightmare angles but by a notable degree.

I'd like a new gameplay style with each pantheon. Perhaps a fast-paced Soulslike game that brings back 3-dimensional combat and more emphasis on solo fighting, though keeping some aspects of the RPG elements wouldn't bother me. And I'd really like a magic meter to return to the series. I like the skill trees but I'd rather have a move list outright.

The Norse saga clears the Greek trilogy in terms of world building and lore expansion so they should keep it up on that end. A more linear approach would also be appreciated.

Just my thoughts on it.

Btw, is there any Norse person who could possibly beat Hades or Ares?

Also, for Poseidon, should I just remove the entire section in his AP about his Hippocampi since Thor ~= Serious Kratos = Pre-Hades Kratos = Gow2 Zeus >> Poseidon?

Sorry to keep asking.

Sorry to keep asking.
Ares is unfortunately too overpowered with his power nullification. Hades is an issue cause of his versatility, though Garm would give him a good fight, as would the other top level gods.

Yeah, the comparison can be removed from Thor's profile. If it still exists on Poseidon's then just remove it and add that he's superior to Ares.

Thor legitimately having higher feats than anything Poseidon has ever done.
Just curious, wdym by this?

Besides Thor matching a Kratos that can one-shot Poseidon, I mean.
Ares is unfortunately too overpowered with his power nullification. Hades is an issue cause of his versatility, though Garm would give him a good fight, as would the other top level gods.
Could Freya or Thor beat Hades with their AP advantage and soul resistance?
Yeah, the comparison can be removed from Thor's profile. If it still exists on Poseidon's then just remove it and add that he's superior to Ares.
I removed it from Poseidon's profile, though he's already stated to be superior to Ares.

Last edited:
Just curious, wdym by this?

Besides Thor matching a Kratos that can one-shot Poseidon, I mean.
He's the one with 2 2-C feats.
Could Freya or Thor beat Hades with their AP advantage and soul resistance?
I dunno. Energy of Tartarus could actually harm Kratos' soul but it's not as though the latter didn't just overpower it either. So Freya stands a decent shot. Either that or we treat it as another feat of Kratos' evolution, in which case Freya' up shit creak.

Thor would be overwhelmed with Hades' other hax.

Could I get the scan for this so I can add it to Thor's profile?
I don't have it on me. IIRC, it was basically an interview explaining the ending and prophecy i.e. the mural might've happened but Kratos changed his way and thus his actions.

He's the one with 2 2-C feats.
Makes sense.
I dunno. Energy of Tartarus could actually harm Kratos' soul but it's not as though the latter didn't just overpower it either. So Freya stands a decent shot. Either that or we treat it as another feat of Kratos' evolution, in which case Freya' up shit creak.

Thor would be overwhelmed with Hades' other hax.
OK, thanks
I don't have it on me. IIRC, it was basically an interview explaining the ending and prophecy i.e. the mural might've happened but Kratos changed his way and thus his actions.
No worries, but that is a damn good scaling feat for Thor.

More or less confirms he's relatively equal to Serious Ragnarok Kratos.

Physically speaking, they're more or less even (Thor can even stagger you out of Valor with Mjolnir in hand (albeit with no damage but no healing) when no other god or monster does). Kratos overwhelms him in experience, skill and mastery of his base abilities and rage.

In that interview, nothing there said anything about Kratos dying if he didn't change his way, it just talks about the prophecy, especially considering we know for a fact that Thor would be the one ending up dead if Kratos truly lost it and gave in to the same monster that destroyed Greece.

It's just that we've been seeing our fair share of some of the dumbest GoW takes imaginable to mankind solely because people can't even be bothered to watch the clips of the game. Like, we're not even asking you to play the game at all. There's playthroughs for this with timestamps, and even I haven't read the novels fully but I do truly understand what each of them are trying to convey and how they're trying to convey it. Hell, you don't even need to watch a full playthrough at all to get the gist.

However, what pisses me off the most is when people post their opinions in such a way that they word it like they're the ones in the right and we're the ones in the wrong, pretending that they know all about the verse without having actually seen or played the material themselves. They never word it like a proper curious question, but like an absolute "know-it-all" kind of ego contest made solely to anger those who would answer these questions to solve their queries, and they type in so much irrelevant and dumb shit that it completely goes beyond what exists and was intended to be portrayed in the original source material. My apologies if you felt this way, but this was something I needed to get off my chest for a while.
Some guy named "KratosIsWallLevel" told me that the stars of GOW is small because Ceto is the oceans and thus the stars are multi-continental

Genius level intellect, we're the ones in the wrong clearly.

Got some questions.

1. What level of Godhood is Kratos in Ghost of Sparta? Has he got the full powers of the God of War at this point? Is he still at his Demigod level as seen in Ascension, Chains and GOW 1?
2. Is Demigod Kratos as strong as he is because that's his power as a Demigod son of Zeus or because that power was granted to him by Ares? Or did Ares just 'unlock' that power within him or something like that?
3. How strong is Ares compared to Hades and Poseidon? Is he on their level or still well below them?
4. How is it that people say that Thor and Freya wash Poseidon when he's stated to be the second strongest Olympian? Is it a rock paper scissors scenario where their abilities just counter his own?

Got some questions.

1. What level of Godhood is Kratos in Ghost of Sparta?
Within Olympian tier, but still susceptible to Titan and Primordial bullshittery. Until of course, Deimos' death happens.

Has he got the full powers of the God of War at this point?
Yes. He is the God of War in title and rank, but not fully in physiology, only partially. But the moment he sat on Ares throne is the moment he effectively got it all.

Is he still at his Demigod level as seen in Ascension, Chains and GOW 1?
No.

2. Is Demigod Kratos as strong as he is because that's his power as a Demigod son of Zeus or because that power was granted to him by Ares?
It's a bit in the grey area. All gods and demigods are unique with how they obtain strength. Case in point, Herc. He's near dead even with GoW3 Hades-Soul-Amped Kratos, with both Herc and Kratos maintaining an advantage over each other when they have the Nemean Cestus, as seen when Kratos turned the tide after forcibly ripping off his Gauntlets from him.

3. How strong is Ares compared to Hades and Poseidon? Is he on their level or still well below them?
He's close. The AP gap isn't absurdly off the charts, even with the whole "nobody can match the Brother Kings" (Which gets weirded out by Athena's future dreams, but eh, novel be novel). Ares is the closest candidate that reaches that close, and given enough time, Poseidon truly would've been taken out if Ares wanted to.

4. How is it that people say that Thor and Freya wash Poseidon when he's stated to be the second strongest Olympian? Is it a rock paper scissors scenario where their abilities just counter his own?
Thor is stated to be the strongest Norse God in multiple sources, including the game itself. Freya is stated to be equal to Kratos in every single measure, numerous times, even Kratos praises her to be an ally far more formidable than any other. WoG states Thor could at least hold his own against Poseidon's Hippocamps (Bare minimum, not a limit). Held-back Thor is stated by Held-Back Ragnarok Kratos in his journal to possess blows that are as strong as any as he has felt (Reminder that there is no "ever" here), which would sort of put him up alongside GoW2 Pre-Zenkai Zeus, but still ultimately lower, given his performance against Serious Ragnarok Kratos, who soundly defeated him in the final rematch.

He's close. The AP gap isn't absurdly off the charts, even with the whole "nobody can match the Brother Kings" (Which gets weirded out by Athena's future dreams, but eh, novel be novel). Ares is the closest candidate that reaches that close, and given enough time, Poseidon truly would've been taken out if Ares wanted to.
Didn't Athena imply Poseidon would stomp his ass without even needing his awesome water form?
Thor is stated to be the strongest Norse God in multiple sources, including the game itself. Freya is stated to be equal to Kratos in every single measure, numerous times, even Kratos praises her to be an ally far more formidable than any other. WoG states Thor could at least hold his own against Poseidon's Hippocamps (Bare minimum, not a limit). Held-back Thor is stated by Held-Back Ragnarok Kratos in his journal to possess blows that are as strong as any as he has felt (Reminder that there is no "ever" here), which would sort of put him up alongside GoW2 Pre-Zenkai Zeus, but still ultimately lower, given his performance against Serious Ragnarok Kratos, who soundly defeated him in the final rematch.
Could either Thor or Odin beat a GoW2 Zeus who didn't have RE or AD?

Didn't Athena imply Poseidon would stomp his ass without even needing his awesome water form?
She was goading Poseidon into doing so in part of her bigger plan to help Kratos and jerk him off, but then the fever dream kicks in.

Fortunately, Zeus plays Athena for second-hand intern and himself aids Kratos in not only giving him the magic to kill Ares, but also helping bust Kratos' ass out of the underworld to see the job done and bypass his own "Gods must not fight Gods" edict.

Could either Thor or Odin beat a GoW2 Zeus who didn't have RE or AD?
Debatable, but ultimately not. GoW2 Zeus is already far and well above the rest of the Greek Pantheon and could one-shot it with mere stray bolts of lightning from his fingertips. Athena straight up got scared shitless being near him, and even Hades and Poseidon were scared the same way at the mere sight of Zeus twiddling his fingers and holding his bolts between his thumb and forefinger. With the Blade of Olympus in hand, that one-shot feature of Zeus is substantially taken to such a level that he could effectively send Hades straight to non-existence, like what happened with Ares. That's not even getting into the argument of Zeus' hax arsenal that puts Hades to shame.

Debatable, but ultimately not. GoW2 Zeus is already far and well above the rest of the Greek Pantheon and could one-shot it with mere stray bolts of lightning from his fingertips. Athena straight up got scared shitless being near him, and even Hades and Poseidon were scared the same way at the mere sight of Zeus twiddling his fingers and holding his bolts between his thumb and forefinger. With the Blade of Olympus in hand, that one-shot feature of Zeus is substantially taken to such a level that he could effectively send Hades straight to non-existence, like what happened with Ares. That's not even getting into the argument of Zeus' hax arsenal that puts Hades to shame.
It's hilarious how broken Zeus is, especially AP wise.

Let's not even get to the fact that GoW2 Endgame Zeus is even stronger than that LMAO, and GoW3 Zeus even more so. Then there's GoW3 Endgame Zeus who now literally gets stronger with mere body contact.

There's also the fact that power is not proportional to size in GoW in the least bit, if anything it's the opposite, and it would still fall under how much you train and hone that strength. Gods when compressed to human size are much more dangerous with all that power compressed into such a small size, and their strength isn't even tied to their physique in the first place, but rather them being born as gods, as Kratos admits.

Let's not even get to the fact that GoW2 Endgame Zeus is even stronger than that LMAO, and GoW3 Zeus even more so. Then there's GoW3 Endgame Zeus who now literally gets stronger with mere body contact.

There's also the fact that power is not proportional to size in GoW in the least bit, if anything it's the opposite, and it would still fall under how much you train and hone that strength. Gods when compressed to human size are much more dangerous with all that power compressed into such a small size, and their strength isn't even tied to their physique in the first place, but rather them being born as gods, as Kratos admits.
And just to put the nail in the coffin, if by some miracle of a higher being you actually beat GOW3 Zeus, he comes back as Fear Zeus who's 1000x worse.

All this talk of how strong Zeus is really makes the ending to GOW2 funnier. Gaia says the gods are too powerful for the titans to beat back in her own time and Kratos agrees with her only to say they could take on the gods in his own time where all of them, especially Zeus, are ridiculously stronger than the versions of themselves that Gaia admits are too strong for her and the rest of the titans to handle.

Kratos: "Yeah don't worry Gaia, the gods may be too strong in this time but in my time I'm sure the titans would roll them"

insert Poseidon nearly soloing the titans

Remember that when Kratos was fighting Poseidon, it was when he was out of his element (literally) and far away from water. Kratos also had assistance from Gaia while fighting Poseidon, so the gap between Poseidon, Ares and Hades shouldn't be that large.

Back