• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Hopefully he's playable, at least at times.

I honestly think that's what holding the combat system back.

Even though he's not a burden like I thought he would be back during the reveal trailer at E3 2016 and is very helpful, still would prefer him to be his own playable character.

I'm also curious on his power, as he can kick Baldur in the face and kill a small army of dark elves by himself, but gets overpowered by fodder all the time.

It's all too samey honestly. And the previous games were more creative with enemies.

Also I miss the gore. Gow 4 was honestly T rated in that aspect (except for that werewolf kill, shit was brutal)

Tlou2 has some of the best gore in gaming and is probably one of the most violent games ever made.

Imagine gore like that in Ragnarok.

Yeah, honestly previous games shit on the 2018 one when it comes to enemies. I'd also say the previous games were better artistically. It's all preference when it comes to art but the new GoW looks a bit generic when it comes to the enviroment compared to the previous games. There were so many times in the previous games where i'd just stand and look at the scenery.

The Wulver execution stands out from the rest in 2018 as it is easily the most brutal one. I'd like there to be more gory executions in Ragnarok.

In all honesty I think GOW3 looks better than 2018. It’s graphics holds up extremely well by modern standards and the designs of everything were visually amazing. 2018 looks really good but everything felt and looked samey after a while of playing. That’s why I find it stupid when someone thinks Ragnarok looks like DLC when everything about it is a noticeable step up from 2018 from the looks of it and anyone who has played 2018 should be able to see that.

Last edited:
I've always thought this as well. That should have been the first game on the PS4. It's always had my favorite graphics in the series.
Plus the rage meter was an authentic one with how it made even the player feel angry.

In all seriousness, it's graphics and level design were pretty good.

Plus the rage meter was an authentic one with how it made even the player feel angry.

Yeah, and had some pretty sick abilities, too.

The level design was pretty good and so was the character design. The bosses were great too, but the big drawback was the story. It was pretty weak.

And I started playing it due to the upgrade threads, but honestly, the multiplayer is pretty fun. This is perhaps the most brutal GOW, and the kills throughout the game are insane.

Eh, while Ascension looks pretty, it took one step forward and two steps back. The Rage thing does work, but locking out the combos to that Rage Meter is just counter-intuitive at best and downright inhibiting at worst. Like, there's still a lot of jank to its gameplay and the camera can often at times zoom too far away to be able to see anything.

The story was alright but felt too mellow compared to the scale of the other games IMHO.

The Kratos body model in it is also... questionable at best. Man literally looks like a damn gorilla with big arms and small pinhead and he lost his signature cheek bones. Cardinal sin.

Eh, while Ascension looks pretty, it took one step forward and two steps back. The Rage thing does work, but locking out the combos to that Rage Meter is just counter-intuitive at best and downright inhibiting at worst. Like, there's still a lot of jank to its gameplay and the camera can often at times zoom too far away to be able to see anything.
Oh, I know. In case it was confusing, I was taking a knock at the rage meter. II and III's rages were honestly my favorites, if only because I don't remember I enough (nor did I use rage there enough) to compare.

The camera was an atrocity at times, especially with larger enemies and bosses.
The story was alright but felt too mellow compared to the scale of the other games IMHO.

The Kratos body model in it is also... questionable at best. Man literally looks like a damn gorilla with big arms and small pinhead and he lost his signature cheek bones. Cardinal sin.
Honestly, I wasn't too bothered by the model. They could've used the nightmare fuel one that got scrapped IIRC.

Oh, I know. In case it was confusing, I was taking a knock at the rage meter. II and III's rages were honestly my favorites, if only because I don't remember I enough (nor did I use rage there enough) to compare.

The camera was an atrocity at times, especially with larger enemies and bosses.
Ye, GOW2's Rage of the Titans was the best, I felt kind of sad that GOW3's Rage Mode used none of the OP shit of the Blade of Olympus, it's just Kratos swinging around a blade like a madman.

Honestly, I wasn't too bothered by the model. They could've used the nightmare fuel one that got scrapped IIRC.
Interesting, tell me more.

Ye, GOW2's Rage of the Titans was the best, I felt kind of sad that GOW3's Rage Mode used none of the OP shit of the Blade of Olympus, it's just Kratos swinging around a blade like a madman.
Tbf, it's not exactly inaccurate considering his temperament in the game.
Interesting, tell me more.
b5jgpbrleol71.jpg

Basically, saw this while surfing online. Still checking if it was legit tho.

i believe Kratos able to regen from that nightmare fuel appearances,

still wondering what the initial idea that came out from that design ?
Probably how he'd look after being tortured by the Furies. Honestly, I kind of dig it, though it could use refinement and adjustments.

btw i think i found interesting feats in GoW Ascension based on how the story context portrayed.

1. it seems the furies has regneration negation since they able to damage kratos which leaving scar that can't be healed in GoW ascension end game.

2. It seems during torture, the furies able to remove Kratos skill/abilities/memories ? and yet Kratos able to slowly recovered his memories and abilities

btw i think i found interesting feats in GoW Ascension based on how the story context portrayed.

1. it seems the furies has regneration negation since they able to damage kratos which leaving scar that can't be healed in GoW ascension end game.
No, he heals them after Ascension, they're nowhere to be seen in either of its sequels or even in GOW2018.

2. It seems during torture, the furies able to remove Kratos skill/abilities/memories ? and yet Kratos able to slowly recovered his memories and abilities
It's just their illusions.

I wonder if Norse era Kratos could still beat Zeus
Not even close. Kratos is just a top-tier Demigod now with the only thing he has left being his brute force strength that seemingly matches his God of War self, and his immortality. He has no other haxes, none of the Titan Powers, no more Hades' Soul (Zeus busted that shit up alongside the rest of his gear save for his Blades of Exile and Boots of Hermes) or even the Power of Hope.

Even with all those power-ups minus the Power of Hope, Kratos was at best only able to temporarily stalemate Zeus, with the latter himself consistently able to one-up Zeus in most if not all categories, remember, Kratos straight up had to play possum in GOW2 even with the Blade of Olympus, and GOW3 Zeus is shown to be even more OP than his GOW2 self, and it wasn't until GOW3 where Kratos finally managed to actually be an equal to Zeus in terms of brute strength alone.

Not even close. Kratos is just a top-tier Demigod now with the only thing he has left being his brute force strength that seemingly matches his God of War self, and his immortality. He has no other haxes, none of the Titan Powers, no more Hades' Soul (Zeus busted that shit up alongside the rest of his gear save for his Blades of Exile and Boots of Hermes) or even the Power of Hope.

Even with all those power-ups minus the Power of Hope, Kratos was at best only able to temporarily stalemate Zeus, with the latter himself consistently able to one-up Zeus in most if not all categories, remember, Kratos straight up had to play possum in GOW2 even with the Blade of Olympus, and GOW3 Zeus is shown to be even more OP than his GOW2 self, and it wasn't until GOW3 where Kratos finally managed to actually be an equal to Zeus in terms of brute strength alone.
If we go by the profiles that may be true though I still think Norse Kratos wins. Going by Norse Kratos severely holding back has 9x universal space-time feat scaling vs Zeus' unquantifiable universe level+ scaling I think Norse Kratos completely stomps Zeus.

Btw High 3-A just needs to be erased from the profiles, it's not needed.

I just realized that we're gonna be traveling with Tyr for a bit in the new God of War and most likely get info about how the GOW cosmology works.

If we go by the profiles that may be true though I still think Norse Kratos wins. Going by Norse Kratos severely holding back has 9x universal space-time feat scaling vs Zeus' unquantifiable universe level+ scaling I think Norse Kratos completely stomps Zeus.
Nah, literally debunked by Mimir's statements that all the Pantheons are as strong as each other, neither being overtly more powerful than the other.

The literal point of the 2018 game is Kratos awakening his true power slowly but surely, his true power being that which he had as the God of War in Greece in GOW3. So in an essence, the Greek Pantheon would scale above Norse Kratos this way.

Remember, there is a massive scaling chain between the Titans and the Olympians here, heck the Titans who have the feat to their name were massively weakened by the time the feats come to fruition.

Atlas was unharmed by Persephone's Death Explosion which blew up the World Pillar, note that this is weakened Atlas who no longer has Helios in his hand anymore, both he and Kratos survived the death boom at near-point-blank range (Not that the range matters since it's a Tier 2 explosion) completely unscathed, Atlas with Helios's power was going to destroy the World Pillar (Yet massively weakened Helios was able to survive being punched into the pillar which would weirdly enough, cause him to scale to the Pillar equally and weakened Atlas stomped him which would ironically cause Atlas to scale above both the Pillar and Helios). Then there's Atlas at Full Power being undoubtedly superior to that as well and Hades having taken his soul for himself and billions more for himself (He grew massively stronger over time during the rule of the Olympians, like his brothers Poseidon and Zeus), and Zeus is stronger still, he could effortlessly one-shot the entire pantheon without batting an eye, and GOW3 Kratos even with all of Hades' power ups and the Titan power-ups, was still unable to force Zeus into any compromised position and both were near dead-equals.

Btw High 3-A just needs to be erased from the profiles, it's not needed.
Yeah, it should be yeeted completely, it's part of the upcoming CRT.

Last edited:
Nah, literally debunked by Mimir's statements that all the Pantheons are as strong as each other, neither being overtly more powerful than the other.
What statement?
The literal point of the 2018 game is Kratos awakening his true power slowly but surely, his true power being that which he had as the God of War in Greece. So in an essence, the Greek Pantheon would scale above Norse Kratos this way.
That was not the point of the game, Kratos awoke a true power in the game. The point was Kratos literally trying to suppress his power and not succumb to his violent nature/get past his violent nature while raising his son.
nice

I dunno, his past abilities were all resisted by Zeus, and honestly Norse Kratos has some decent Hax, like multiple ways to activate forcefields ,Time slows and stat reduction enchantments.

Even with all those power-ups minus the Power of Hope, Kratos was at best only able to temporarily stalemate Zeus, with the latter himself consistently able to one-up Zeus in most if not all categories, remember, Kratos straight up had to play possum in GOW2 even with the Blade of Olympus, and GOW3 Zeus is shown to be even more OP than his GOW2 self, and it wasn't until GOW3 where Kratos finally managed to actually be an equal to Zeus in terms of brute strength alone
True but apparently Norse Kratos is still relative to GOW III Kratos.

The big problem for Kratos is he has no real way to kill Zeus anymore as he doesn't have the blade of Olympus or the power of hope.

So I think it'll just be a stalemate
If we go by the profiles that may be true though I still think Norse Kratos wins. Going by Norse Kratos severely holding back has 9x universal space-time feat scaling vs Zeus' unquantifiable universe level+ scaling I think Norse Kratos completely stomps Zeus
The Olympians scale to that
Especially from the Norse Gods who don't even have High 3-A feats

While feats wise Norse Kratos is above his Greek self technically, narratively he seems somewhat weaker to me, if even not overwhelmingly so. Whether that's him being rusty or him lacking his weapons and magics, I'm not sure.

What statement?
The statement where he says the Norse were as powerful as any other Pantheon he had come across.

That was not the point of the game, Kratos awoke a true power in the game. The point was Kratos literally trying to suppress his power and not succumb to his violent nature/get past his violent nature while raising his son.
Which quickly goes to shit and now he has to teach his son how to master this power to use it for good and break the cycle of Gods doing terrible deeds and killing their parents.

While feats wise Norse Kratos is above his Greek self technically, narratively he seems somewhat weaker to me, if even not overwhelmingly so. Whether that's him being rusty or him lacking his weapons and magics, I'm not sure.
I feel like thats going to go all out of the window in Ragnarok.

He'll probably be stronger than ever.

And his hax in the current games is honestly underrated

I dunno, his past abilities were all resisted by Zeus, and honestly Norse Kratos has some decent Hax, like multiple ways to activate forcefields ,Time slows and stat reduction enchantments.
Zeus effectively has considerably better hax and an even more aggressive forcefield in GOW2 that chips out health if you don't disable it with Rage of the Titans.

True but apparently Norse Kratos is still relative to GOW III Kratos.
Only in physical might and combat skill.

The big problem for Kratos is he has no real way to kill Zeus anymore as he doesn't have the blade of Olympus or the power of hope.

So I think it'll just be a stalemate
Nah, if bloodlusted, Kratos would legitimately have no answer at all, Zeus would power-null him on contact and then blow on him hard enough to vaporize him (Zeus has Breath Attack BTW).

Especially from the Norse Gods who don't even have High 3-A feats
They do, Thor and Jormi shaking and splintering the World Tree whose branches stretch to infinity, even if we assumed the realms are not legit, the tree's branches being infinitely big can't be thrown out.

Both, plus another additional reason.

Fallen God Kratos was confirmed verbatim to be weaker than his peak GOW3 self by Bruno himself because of his stab wound that he had to then heal from and due to his lack of sleep, this same Kratos then fell out of training and slacked out massively to the point where we see him in 2018, where the novel ultimately confirms that Kratos atrophied massively and was indeed more muscular in his early Greek days. Remember, he tried to starve himself to death and walk endlessly to no avail, he couldn't even die from hunger if he wanted to, he only ate at this point to satisfy his taste buds.

Back