• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Do you guys ever wonder what happened to some of the other Norse gods? I'm specifically thinking about Odin's brothers, Vili and Vé. For such powerful Aesir gods, you'd have to think that they would be as powerful as Odin, and yet their current fate is never mentioned. I mean, they helped Odin kill Ymir. I guess it can't be helped, since adding such characters would've needed even more time and development to make them feel natural to the story. Who knows, maybe in the next game they might play a role, or they might just be forgotten. It's a shame, but oh well.

Do you guys ever wonder what happened to some of the other Norse gods? I'm specifically thinking about Odin's brothers, Vili and Vé. For such powerful Aesir gods, you'd have to think that they would be as powerful as Odin, and yet their current fate is never mentioned. I mean, they helped Odin kill Ymir. I guess it can't be helped, since adding such characters would've needed even more time and development to make them feel natural to the story. Who knows, maybe in the next game they might play a role, or they might just be forgotten. It's a shame, but oh well.
Forsetti is also mentioned in a passing afterthought at the Asgardian dinner table, but Vili and Ve have literally no involvement in Odin killing Ymir, like, at all, heck, they are never mentioned, not even once, by Odin or any of the other Asgardians. Odin literally went on a solo attempt to kill the true All-Father of the Norse Pantheon, just like that, because he was too reckless as a young man.

Should we go to Egypt, I'd really hope we duke it out with Sekhmet. Fitting considering she's a goddess of war and in some variations of her myth, almost wipes out humanity in her bloodlust.

Forsetti is also mentioned in a passing afterthought at the Asgardian dinner table, but Vili and Ve have literally no involvement in Odin killing Ymir, like, at all, heck, they are never mentioned, not even once, by Odin or any of the other Asgardians. Odin literally went on a solo attempt to kill the true All-Father of the Norse Pantheon, just like that, because he was too reckless as a young man.
If it was just based off of Norse mythology, then I'd agree with you, but the thing is that it's literally told as part of the stories within the game. There are literally murals which show the story of what happened to Ymir, and Mimir mentions that Odin and his brothers slayed Ymir, which proves that they exist. Look it up.

Should we go to Egypt, I'd really hope we duke it out with Sekhmet. Fitting considering she's a goddess of war and in some variations of her myth, almost wipes out humanity in her bloodlust.
Yea, I also believe Egypt would be a good next step. I'm also curious about the Mayan or Aztec gods, since that's not a religion that's often touched upon in games.

If it was just based off of Norse mythology, then I'd agree with you, but the thing is that it's literally told as part of the stories within the game. There are literally murals which show the story of what happened to Ymir, and Mimir mentions that Odin and his brothers slayed Ymir, which proves that they exist. Look it up.
Vili and Ve were just on standby watch, but Odin was the one with the Spear in hand.

And then Vili and Ve just disappear like that? Odin doesn't even acknowledge their existence. Do you think maybe he killed them?

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past him to kill the only people at the time that could threaten his reign. Odin is a massive dick even by god standards in the series.

Vili and Ve were just on standby watch, but Odin was the one with the Spear in hand.

And then Vili and Ve just disappear like that? Odin doesn't even acknowledge their existence. Do you think maybe he killed them?
Mimir said that all three actively fought against Ymir to kill him, cuz it wouldn't make sense that Odin alone would be strong enough to fight against Ymir, the first giant and organism to have come into existence. If Odin really did kill his brothers, then so be it. It'd be wasted potential, but it'd make sense. I would've at least liked for their existence to be acknowledged, because one would wonder what happened to such powerful Aesir gods, and killing such powerful gods would've likely been a huge battle or taken some sort of powerful magic or poison of some kind. It'd be the Greek equivalent of having Hades and Poseidon ignored.

Last edited:
Mimir actively said that all three fought against Ymir to kill him, cuz it wouldn't make sense that Odin alone would be strong enough to fight against Ymir, the first giant and organism to have come into existence. If Odin really did kill his brothers, then so be it. It'd be wasted potential, but it'd make sense. I would've at least liked for their existence to be acknowledged, because one would wonder what happened to such powerful Aesir gods, and killing such powerful gods would've likely been a huge battle or taken some sort of powerful magic or poison of some kind. It'd be the Greek equivalent of having Hades and Poseidon ignored.
Not even remotely. Poseidon and Hades are massive figures within Greek mythology with several myths and stories to their names, and iconic deities in pop culture as a whole. Villi and Ve get mentioned helping Odin and that's it.

Mimir said that all three actively fought against Ymir to kill him, cuz it wouldn't make sense that Odin alone would be strong enough to fight against Ymir, the first giant and organism to have come into existence. If Odin really did kill his brothers, then so be it. It'd be wasted potential, but it'd make sense. I would've at least liked for their existence to be acknowledged, because one would wonder what happened to such powerful Aesir gods, and killing such powerful gods would've likely been a huge battle or taken some sort of powerful magic or poison of some kind. It'd be the Greek equivalent of having Hades and Poseidon ignored.
never stated in the game tho

Not even remotely. Poseidon and Hades are massive figures within Greek mythology with several myths and stories to their names, and iconic deities in pop culture as a whole. Villi and Ve get mentioned helping Odin and that's it.
Fair point, but regardless, I believe my point still stands. At least change the story so that Odin's brothers were never mentioned in the first place so I'm not expecting something.

Anyways now that Ragnarok out, y'all favorite gow boss and villian?
Norse or overall?

In the Norse World, honestly either Baldur or Hrist and Mist take it from a technical standpoint (Baldur takes it on spectacle, though I wish he had more variety to his move-set in the first fight). Sigrun is easily number 2 for me, a legitimately challenging side boss that never feels unfair nor does she use any cheap feeling move (coughMaleniacough).

Overall is the Trolls- lol, jk. Probably Zeus or Hades.

5241028-D-CB64-4398-8-E85-36-FD7815-E859.png

I haven't played any of the previous GoW games beyond the most recent two. I just finished the storyline, though I unfortunately spoiled myself about Odin impersonating Tyr by accident, but it was still an amazing game nevertheless. I'm actually now motivated to play the previous God of War game, God of War III, since it sounds pretty fun and has some of the biggest battles in the series.

The most challenging boss for me BY FAR was Sigrun. It took me probably 6 or 7 hours to finally beat her and dodge every attack flawlessly. Ironically, the actual bosses like Thor and Odin weren't nearly as hard for me, and it took me longer to defeat Baldur than it did to defeat those two. In terms of narrative, Odin's my favorite boss so far because of all the build-up and the climax, but if I play GoW 3, that might change.

Question will the next GOW games have kratos in another mythology?

if kratos can end up in Norse mythology.

couldn’t this open up new possibilities? (New mythologies?)

Question will the next GOW games have kratos in another mythology?

if kratos can end up in Norse mythology.

couldn’t this open up new possibilities? (New mythologies?)
Potentially, but it'd need a good reason. The Norse saga ends with Kratos rebuilding the Eight Realms alongside his friends and allies and eventually becoming a worshipped figure by all people in the Norse lands. He honestly has very little apparent reason to not just settle down.

I haven't played any of the previous GoW games beyond the most recent two. I just finished the storyline, though I unfortunately spoiled myself about Odin impersonating Tyr by accident, but it was still an amazing game nevertheless. I'm actually now motivated to play the previous God of War game, God of War III, since it sounds pretty fun and has some of the biggest battles in the series.

The most challenging boss for me BY FAR was Sigrun. It took me probably 6 or 7 hours to finally beat her and dodge every attack flawlessly. Ironically, the actual bosses like Thor and Odin weren't nearly as hard for me, and it took me longer to defeat Baldur than it did to defeat those two. In terms of narrative, Odin's my favorite boss so far because of all the build-up and the climax, but if I play GoW 3, that might change.
It's a trend for optional bosses to be significantly harder than main story bosses (in large part due to the fact that one makes the fights in a manner that allows the majority of players to actually beat the main campaign and have a challenge to entertain themselves with afterwards). Malenia is the hardest boss in Elden Ring for instance, and she's wholly optional.

Overall yeah
Still Zeus. The might of that boss fight simply isn't matched anywhere else in the series. Zeus truly makes you feel like you are actually facing off the top honcho with no bullshit involved, it tests your mettle to the maximum limit before anything else, making you use everything you can in your arsenal to bring the ****** down for everything he has done to your family and your people. The force of his blows are just world-rocking (One small mistake and you are D-O-N-E ******* DEAD), and genuinely make you feel threatened yet all the more determined to bring him down. Zeus... feels personal. More personal than Ares (Who was just hard and just physically harmful to fight simply because of a lack of playtesting no thanks to Jaffe), even more personal than the Norse bosses. It's almost like there's a vendetta to fulfill and that nothing else will sate it other than seeing the King of the Gods dead.

The second next best fight IMHO would definitely be Sigrun. She is the next boss that actually proves to be a really good challenge for Kratos and just how far you can push the game's system to its maximum limit and will truly test just how good you are without any of the previous upgrades or advantages, to see how good you could do with just two weapons on hand.

Third best fight would definitely be Hades. He is the only other fight other than Zeus that actually legitimately makes him feel like a threat (The soundtrack just compounds to it), and aside that sneak Soul Rip, Hades is a no-bullshit, honest fighter that will absolutely test just how good you are with those Blades because by God, he is a man on a mission after you whacked his wife. The Great Evils only further exacerbate that as you wrestle for control of what is essentially, the title of becoming the new God of the Underworld, and every aspect of the fight feels menacing when he swings his Claws to maximum effect.

Besides thor and kratos as they are already confirmated they can deal with heimdall ability what y'all think baldur and greek gods will do against it?

Ares was weakened and even begged Kratos to remember the day he saved him before getting shanked.
Also telling him that he killed his family to make him a great warrior, Although that's less him begging for his life and more realizing how badly he screwed up.

Besides thor and kratos as they are already confirmated they can deal with heimdall ability what y'all think baldur and greek gods will do against it?
The only ability of real threat here would honestly be Realm Shift. The mind-reading won't do much since Power Null is a thing and the Gods have more than one way of Mindfucking their victims. Plus Zeus himself is too unpredictable for even the Oracles of Delphi to make heads or tails about.

Also telling him that he killed his family to make him a great warrior, Although that's less him begging for his life and more realizing how badly he screwed up.
Ares practically brought it on himself. He should've just stayed away from bragging about how Kratos was gonna become the Ultimate Warrior by killing his own wife and child.

Ares practically brought it on himself. He should've just stayed away from bragging about how Kratos was gonna become the Ultimate Warrior by killing his own wife and child.
I find it funny just how much Ares could've not screwed himself if he just didn't touch the man's wife and children. Or orchestrated an event that puts them in danger for Kratos to save in a way that puts the blame on the rest of the Olympians. Or **** it, pinning the blame of killing his family on Athena when it happened.

Hey KLOL

can you tell me a little more about synthetic man’s review on GOW?

also I read a little about him and apparently he sucks at reviewing things.
Well for starters, he takes a lot of the plot points of Ragnarok and considers them to be plot points way too often when the previous games and lore actually explain in detail why they are set up the way they are.

Then there's the obvious "woke agenda" accusations regarding Freya where he chokes Odin out with his own noose and now suddenly that's Mary Sue, when in fact, very early in the game she visibly tells you how it could be of use against Odin and the whole story behind it.

But the most disgusting point of them all is how he literally called Sindri a groomer just because he stuck around with Atreus helping him find the Jotnar temples. Like, how the **** does that work?

Back