• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

then this is weird

This is mostly referring to parental love bullshit at best. Kratos makes mention of this as a heartwarming event to Atreus in Ragnarok.

I mean anyways if he doesn't want thor < Zeus to be taken as canon i heavily doubt he wants Thor vs someone weaker than Zeus be taken as canon
Where did you get that implication? This is clearly in reference to what happens in the actual games, since the games take precedence, not that Bruno doesn't want this to be canon.

This is mostly referring to parental love bullshit at best. Kratos makes mention of this as a heartwarming event to Atreus in Ragnarok.
Sounds like a way weird answer then cuz The question was if Norse kratos is <, = or > greek kratos but maybe if he said he is as strong as ever previously

Sounds like a way weird answer then cuz The question was if Norse kratos is <, = or > greek kratos but maybe if he said he is as strong as ever previously
Norse Kratos = Greek Kratos only when going all out, and that's only in terms of the physicals department, hell, the only reason this is true is solely because of the Codex allowing some legitimacy of scaling Thor to the upper echelon of the Greek Gods barring Zeus. Norse Kratos only ever goes all out just once, in the entire game, against Thor in their first fight. He comes close with Heimdall, but he doesn't reach the level of brutality he exacted on the Greek Gods like Poseidon, Hermes and Hercules.

He has none of the power-ups his GOW3 Endgame Pre-Hope self had, he lost the Soul of Hades, the Titan Power-Ups, Blade of Olympus, Power of Hope, everything. Even his Accelerated Development fared worse than his GoW self, whose Accelerated Development made him stronger, faster and more capable with literally every passing moment, whereas in Norse he has to engage in combat to slowly regain his true hidden power, a fact that is hammered in twice by not only the Sony Blogs, but also by Eric Williams himself. 2018 Kratos was rusty as hell.

At this point it's nothing more than the devs coping and not realizing just how much of a freak of nature Kratos was in GoW3 and that they didn't present him like that this time. Norse Kratos is constantly presented as being weak and vulnerable in an attempt to hide his true strength and to serve as a better example to follow for his son, while GoW3 Kratos was effectively steamrolling through the entire Greek Pantheon without breaking a sweat.

Norse Kratos = Greek Kratos only when going all out, and that's only in terms of the physicals
Yeah that's the latter it's obvious (as in norse kratos only comparing in ap/speed)
Greek Kratos is haxier by alot With norse kratos only having knowledge over him and i think maybe skill (forget if his skill became better worse or stayed the same)

We really, really should establish a note on Thor's page regarding Kratos' statement when the revisions land. "As heavy as any I've ever felt" only confirms that the blows are on par with the strongest people he's taken hits from. Which would be the Brother Kings (bar Zeus), Hercules and maybe Ares. The fact that in their rematch, Thor was actually going all out to kill him and the same level blow that put him out of commission in their first fight is literally face-tanked by him should tell you that much.

The thing people don't realize about massive scale is that even on modern hardware they are a bitch to animate. Cory himself goes through how much of a hassle it was to actually make the Colossus look menacing as it did while it was so far away from Kratos's point of view in the actual game itself simply because the PS2's hardware was reaching its absolute limit.

On PC, this would likely not be a problem, at all, which I like they are acknowledging and porting games to. Makes no sense to hold games back like this anyway.
True. Also I think that type of thinking in his response is what's plaguing a lot of American/Western Devs. They keep trying to make these Oscar bait games. It's no surprise from software is as popular as they are

The scale is already there. Let's see, one of our main allies in the previous game is a giant snake that is literally wrapped around the planet, his main opp is a dude with a hammer that hits like a nuke (massive understatement, but I tell that to the normies) that wiped out all these mountain sized giants with it. And his dad created all the nine realms, from the flesh of a giant the size of universes.

The game wouldn't be hurt by having massive scale fights just for the sake. It's a game.

I agree with Asgard being very underwhelming. The realm itself was gorgeous, but the Architecture was just like a random viking village in Skyrim. It would very much make sense for the Aesir to be big on Architecture, as the Aesir are all warriors who have conquered the nine realms and the previous game hypes it up as having Impenetrable defenses, as while as Odin being a strategic genius with an endless Army.

We really, really should establish a note on Thor's page regarding Kratos' statement when the revisions land. "As heavy as any I've ever felt" only confirms that the blows are on par with the strongest people he's taken hits from. Which would be the Brother Kings (bar Zeus), Hercules and maybe Ares. The fact that in their rematch, Thor was actually going all out to kill him and the same level blow that put him out of commission in their first fight is literally face-tanked by him should tell you that much.
100%.

Or really, the strongest peeps Kratos has gone against prior to obtaining Hades' soul.

Give it time, there are still a shit-ton of things yet to be added, we only got the GOW3 Ultimate Guide turned into PDF format.
Oh sweet, hit me up with it when ready.

Also, I can see where @BEASTHEART880 is coming from. I love that they've put so much effort into the storytelling, characterization and plot but I do hope we can get back some of that "nonsensical scale and flashiness for the fun of it".

Fun fact: Hades is legitimately confirmed to be the "Zeus of the Underworld" as per the GOW3 Ultimate Guide, he is so much stronger there that the other Olympians stay away from the Underworld whenever he is around there, Hades is already asininely strong outside of the Underworld if his assault on the Titans is anything to go by, but in the Underworld he is another beast entirely, and Kratos out of all people beat the living crap out of him so hard that Hades effectively loses the will to fight entirely.

Fun fact: Hades is legitimately confirmed to be the "Zeus of the Underworld" as per the GOW3 Ultimate Guide, he is so much stronger there that the other Olympians stay away from the Underworld whenever he is around there, Hades is already asininely strong outside of the Underworld if his assault on the Titans is anything to go by, but in the Underworld he is another beast entirely, and Kratos out of all people beat the living crap out of him so hard that Hades effectively loses the will to fight entirely.
Wasn't he even without that bs the third strongest olympian besides Poseidon or there is more context behind poseidon > hades

Wasn't he even without that bs the third strongest olympian besides Poseidon or there is more context behind poseidon > hades
Only reason Poseidon is shown to be one-shotted so easily by Kratos is because of time constraints.

Both Poseidon's Hippocamps and Hades are shown to yank down Titans by the number, though it didn't work against Perses, but all of Hades's kills were 100% successful. But Poseidon got gimped by Kratos hard after getting knocked out of his water form, it wasn't supposed to be like that.

Even Human Poseidon was expected to be a considerably mighty challenge, as both Kratos and Gaia's combined forces would be needed to defeat him in the original game draft. But alas, Poseidon instead ends up getting shat on by Kratos hard, while it is Hades who gives Kratos the harder fight this time around.

With Poseidon dead and millions drowned, that influx of souls for Hades to torture only increases, which would give Hades an even bigger boost than anticipated on top of already being near-unrivaled in the Underworld.

Finally found the Special Featurette about Hercules' height and weight.

12ft tall and 4000 lbs heavy.

In case anyone ever had issues of Kratos being obscenely tall in Greek due to Norse Kratos being 6ft 4in and never having a canonical explanation of why he shrunk, well, this won't exactly answer why that is, but hey, at least it keeps tall Greek Kratos being a thing.

Tyr temple given I hear he flipped 9 realms thing due to that
Oh, that?

Well, that's kind of misrepresenting the feat.

The tree inside the Temple Room only contains a mere artistic representation of the tree, not the actual tree itself. In essence, the only thing being moved that is worth of value is the Temple itself.

However, this likely won't even matter anymore since Freya effectively ripped apart the Yggdrasil roots holding her curse in place.

this is dangerous misrepresentation. People would think nine-realms contained in that temple. Thus destroying the temple = destroying the nine-realms which supporting that GoW earth is like our modern earth.

I still can't believe how many people misrepresenting that feat.
Exactly. The actual real thing is in the Realm Between the Realms. And we both know that the tree itself is peak fodder now.

I'm well aware, already failed a few times and spent an eternity doing this in Titan Mode last time

Tbh it's less of a "what should I do?" And more of a " I just need to be as good as a robot in execution". Which is a pain in the ass.
I eventually bit the bullet and used Gorgon Summon for one Satyr, then maintained my distance for the rest as I spammed the dog throw spam infinitely until the Cerberus was finished. Then when all was said and done, I spammed the **** out of Hercules' Plume while maintaining distance and then as only one last Satyr remained standing, I just spammed grab.

I eventually bit the bullet and used Gorgon Summon for one Satyr, then maintained my distance for the rest as I spammed the dog throw spam infinitely until the Cerberus was finished. Then when all was said and done, I spammed the **** out of Hercules' Plume while maintaining distance and then as only one last Satyr remained standing, I just spammed grab.
I tried that last time on Titan, it's not reliable cause the ******* dodge a lot...wait, can I use the Gorgon summon on the Cerberus or is it inmune to it?

I tried that last time on Titan, it's not reliable cause the ******* dodge a lot...wait, can I use the Gorgon summon on the Cerberus or is it inmune to it?
On the Satyr. Use it when the last two pop up.

Fun fact
Out of the ones that killed kratos, Thor was the only one who didn't used dirty tricks and revived kratos after killing him

Fun fact
Out of the ones that killed kratos, Thor was the only one who didn't used dirty tricks and revived kratos after killing him
The next cleanest fight would be Hades, who only tried to sneak up on Kratos once but then focused solely on an actually well-evenly placed fight.

Hades and Persephone are the only Gods that Kratos has directly killed in combat, as almost all other gods are either left helpless/in a compromised position (Cronos, Hercules, Hephaestus) or too weak to fend for themselves (Zeus, Heimdall) and made a last ditch effort to escape to safety (Poseidon, Hermes, Hera).

The next cleanest fight would be Hades, who only tried to sneak up on Kratos once but then focused solely on an actually well-evenly placed fight.

Hades and Persephone are the only Gods that Kratos has directly killed in combat, as almost all other gods are either left helpless/in a compromised position (Cronos, Hercules, Hephaestus) or too weak to fend for themselves (Zeus) and made a last ditch effort to escape to safety (Poseidon, Hermes, Hera).
What about Ares?

Back