• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

In fairness, it's also pretty likely that a large part of these reviews are just taking advantage of the engagement that'd come from contrarianism in regards to a very popular game release receiving a positive reception. You'd find these sorts of reviews for Elden Ring, God of War, Horizon or really any game that wasn't dunked on release. So it shouldn't be too surprising.

7.1k likes to 3.1k dislikes.

It was actually far more lopsided a few days ago.

The fact that he says Tyr's entrance is terrible because of all the hype and then later says 'this Tyr was actually Odin in disguise' is enough for me.
Wait how are you seeing the dislikes?

But yeah, I actually don't like those "I hate Movie-games" guys trying to review those very games lmfao. We can tell you do, because you didn't even bother to pay attention.

Even from a gameplay standpoint, he was kinda off. I believe he said something like "the game is filled with the same old executions from the last one, and is scared of gore like every other game these days"

What the ****?

Literally 90% of the executions in the game are entirely new, and for the first time in the series we got weapon specific finishers. I don't even think he mentioned that lmao. And this game is way gorier than 2018.
There's even dismemberment from normal attacks.

It's funny that when he said that the wulver kill was on screen lol. Literally one of the most disgustingly gruesome kills in the franchise

It is a bummer that the troll is the same tho, but they're barely in the game, so who cares?

And what's up with this "games are scared of gore these days"? Games are literally more violent than they've ever been in history.
In fairness, it's also pretty likely that a large part of these reviews are just taking advantage of the engagement that'd come from contrarianism in regards to a very popular game release receiving a positive reception. You'd find these sorts of reviews for Elden Ring, God of War, Horizon or really any game that wasn't dunked on release. So it shouldn't be too surprising.
True. As much as I love GOW, It is annoying how people act like there's no flaws and endlessly praise. It just enables these types

Last edited:
It's almost like people are forgetting what made the Greek games so great, and what the Norse games take inspiration from.

Greek Kratos always had regret and that bit of humanity in him, even in GOW3 when he was driven over the edge he saw a bit of his humanity in Pandora. Yet people call this Kratos a rage-induced maniac who cares for nothing else, which is simply not true.

He cared deeply for his wife and daughter. The latter of whom he abandoned in one of the hardest button mashfests in the entire series. He cared deeply for his mother, whom he was forced to kill due to Zeus's curse. He cared deeply for his brother, whom Thanatos killed. He cared for his Spartan brethren and the Last Spartan, both of whom died because of Zeus. A man can only take so much loss before he is utterly broken and driven over the edge like this.
Aren't Kratos abandoned his brethen in the comic? And aren't Kratos used the Last Spartan body as a device when he fought Kraken?

Don't want to ruin anything, i just want to reminding lel

Aren't Kratos abandoned his brethen in the comic?
Nope, they all died due to the horrors of their journey, Kratos and Alrik were the only survivors.

And aren't Kratos used the Last Spartan body as a device when he fought Kraken?
Kratos was effectively broken at that point because of accidentally killing the Last Spartan in darkness. He still very much cared for the Last Spartan and the rest of his Spartan brethren. Kratos vowed revenge for his fallen brothers.

Nope, they all died due to the horrors of their journey, Kratos and Alrik were the only survivors.
Hades, still unwilling to allow Ares to claim victory over the wager, sent the arms of death to destroy Kratos and his men. A determined Kratos leapt onto a nearby Roc and callously abandoned his men, all of whom died, begging for their leader not to abandon them
I dunno how much accurate the wiki are, but it stated there

I'm pretty sure they all died, by alot of shit during the mission. They weren't the only ones searching for the Ambrosia.

I Might have to reread the comics. I don't remember
Very few Spartans remained when the Arms of Hades came in to take them away. Alrik's men and the Spartans killed each other off, the rest were killed by animals summoned by Danaus's head and the last remaining few were taken over by Hades's arms. Kratos never wanted them to come with him, but they came regardless. Plus, Spartan tradition would not allow Kratos to save them in time of battle due to his sense of honor, and because his own daughter's life was at stake.

It's almost like people are forgetting what made the Greek games so great, and what the Norse games take inspiration from.

Greek Kratos always had regret and that bit of humanity in him, even in GOW3 when he was driven over the edge he saw a bit of his humanity in Pandora. Yet people call this Kratos a rage-induced maniac who cares for nothing else, which is simply not true.

He cared deeply for his wife and daughter. The latter of whom he abandoned in one of the hardest button mashfests in the entire series. He cared deeply for his mother, whom he was forced to kill due to Zeus's curse. He cared deeply for his brother, whom Thanatos killed. He cared for his Spartan brethren and the Last Spartan, both of whom died because of Zeus. A man can only take so much loss before he is utterly broken and driven over the edge like this.
Right. I hate it when people say Kratos from Greek saga is nothing but pure rage and vengance and how much better the 2018 Kratos is. Kratos had plenty of nuance to him even in the Greek saga.

This narrative was mostly spread by a lot of critics during the release of GoW 2018.

Plus, CharacterRant threads have caused us nothing but trouble for the last few years even with regards to Shin Megami Tensei and Persona, including a few peculiar individuals who have tried hard and failed to "unify" standards across VSDebating to validate CharacterRant threads in places where OP can't even defend themselves, like dude, this dick-measuring contest of fictional characters has always been subjective across the spectrum, everyone has their own standards of evaluating feats, why the **** are you trying to lump them into one based on your own biased view of how to "objectively" quantify a feat? To say nothing of the questionable individuals there with serious morality issues popping up every now and then.
tell me about it nowa days people like to do shit like compering the transcendence of space time across the board. Oh my fav verse have time transcendence feats but other than that it caps out at a 2-C cosmology but you see if in DC/Marvel/Shin megami tensei/ect. you transcend time that means you're outerversial and as such that means that my fav verse is also outerversal (lookin at ya dragon ball fans)

like **** it just does not work like that every verse treats certain concepts differently.

like **** in some verses a guy who can tank a building exploding can be totally bullet proof while in another verse a guy who can obliterate a whole ass multiverse can be taken down by ******* sewer wires

doing a total unified standard would create a looping scaling chain that will either get everyone too building levels tops or all the way to high outerversal for street tiers

Right. I hate it when people say Kratos from Greek saga is nothing but pure rage and vengance and how much better the 2018 Kratos is. Kratos had plenty of nuance to him even in the Greek saga.

This narrative was mostly spread by a lot of critics during the release of GoW 2018.
I think a large part of that was how much more present and involved the characters and their interactions were in the Norse saga, as opposed to the Greek trilogy where the nuance and depth had to be analysed not just from face-value dialogue but supplementary sources. Neither is better or worse than the other but it's a lot easier to point out character development with 2018. It's just that unfortunately, many (not all) game critics have a phobia of actually thinking about the media they consume beyond what takes will garner the most attention and engagement.

or you know "OG fans" trying to stir up flames and call the gow series "dead" because it aint to their taste anymore and just say "woke" because thats their delusional way of saying "game is bad"

I was informed that Odin beats all the Greek Gods, expect Zeus.
He scales to Thor and is a lot more versatile than the latter, who's comparable to Kratos while the latter was almost going all out and comparable to his peak Greek levels of physical power. So he's definitely in the absolute upper wrung when compared to the Olympians, though still below Zeus.

tell me about it nowa days people like to do shit like compering the transcendence of space time across the board. Oh my fav verse have time transcendence feats but other than that it caps out at a 2-C cosmology but you see if in DC/Marvel/Shin megami tensei/ect. you transcend time that means you're outerversial and as such that means that my fav verse is also outerversal (lookin at ya dragon ball fans)
Apparently a lot of other verses will get the boot too if they only have "transcends space and time" as the justification for Low 1-C.

like **** it just does not work like that every verse treats certain concepts differently.

like **** in some verses a guy who can tank a building exploding can be totally bullet proof while in another verse a guy who can obliterate a whole ass multiverse can be taken down by ******* sewer wires

doing a total unified standard would create a looping scaling chain that will either get everyone too building levels tops or all the way to high outerversal for street tiers
IKR

Poseidon likely gets beaten but Hades overwhelms him with versatility and well, ripping out his soul. Zeus just obliterates.

Apparently a lot of other verses will get the boot too if they only have "transcends space and time" as the justification for Low 1-C.
if i remember it properly the only way to get to Low 1-C through space time transcendence is by having a 2-A structure in place prior other wise it would mean very little to transcend time an space

The Top Three however become deeply problematic, especially Hades, since Odin literally has no answer for Soul Manip, like, at all.
True, I refer to his power. I would counter that the Olympians also have no reference for being bound within glyphs

if i remember it properly the only way to get to Low 1-C through space time transcendence is by having a 2-A structure in place prior other wise it would mean very little to transcend time an space
That on its own also doesn't mean jackshit anymore. You need to have explicity statements for existential superiority now, like viewing 4 dimensions as insignificant to your existence or viewing them as spatially flat, or viewing them like pages on a story book or some DC Comics Mxyzptlk BS of the kind.

True, I refer to his power. I would counter that the Olympians also have no reference for being bound within glyphs
I'd say it's more of an LS thing, no different from Freya's vines.

Plus, most can transform into their elemental forms and teleport on a whim with ease. Most of the Gods even have the ability to transform into pure energy if they choose to do so.

I'd say it's more of an LS thing, no different from Freya's vines.

Plus, most can transform into their elemental forms and teleport on a whim with ease. Most of the Gods even have the ability to transform into pure energy if they choose to do so.
1) Eh idk about that, this seems different since Kratos could break out of those vines with effort, notice how this is an energy construct rather then a physical barrier like vines 2) I'm familiar with the teleportation but I'm curious where the pure energy thing is from?

1) Eh idk about that, this seems different since Kratos could break out of those vines with effort, notice how this is an energy construct rather then a physical barrier like vines
Same kind of magic. The idea is physical restraint, notice how the energy construct forcibly pulls them downwards.

2) I'm familiar with the teleportation but I'm curious where the pure energy thing is from?
GOW1 Novel Chapter 26. Athena wills herself into energy beams stemming from the crystals in the room containing Pandora's Box.

Isn't that just Astral Projection? Lemme find that
Both actually. She literally transported her entire self to that chamber.

kaUQz5u.png

Back