• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Wasn't Egypt already shown in the comics?
In Fallen God, yes.

Also, IIRC, the novelization strongly implied that Kratos was killed by Ares in Egypt.
Nah, the battle happened just outside of Athens. Ares is only ever seen taking cover in an Egyptian desert in the novelization but the actual final battle happens right outside where the Statue of Athena holding the Blade of the Gods resides.

I'm not talking about the battle, I'm talking about when Kratos gets impaled by a pillar.

On this note, how big is Greece in GoW? It's noon when Kratos gets to the desert, and night before he entered it.
  • But through the portal, as his eyes began to adjust, he saw noontide and swirling sands.
Big, it seemingly contains continents (Atlantis is described as one and is far beyond the Mediterranean), Mount Olympus (which is so large it is basically a celestial body), oceans deep enough to swallow 500 meter tall Giants at the shoreline and contain massive deserts. There's also a calc putting Greece at stellar proportions but that might be calc stacking and may or may not make sense

Ah, I found the source of the mistake. They mention Egypt several times across the novel.
  • “Where is Ares now?” Rainbows in the mist swirled about to show Ares striding across a desert land like a volcano come to life. [...] “Where is he?” Zeus said. “What is he doing in that desolate Egyptian desert?” [...]The King of Olympus raised his mighty fist and drew in a breath so deep it altered storm patterns throughout the Mediterranean, then unleashed a single word: “Ares.” [...] “You must cease your Hydra’s attack immediately. I have use of the mortal Kratos. Ares? Ares! I will not be ignored when I command you.”
  • “Remember this, God of War: I am sovereign over the seas. Any who enter my domain must do honor to me. Even gods.” The two gods glowered at each other upon Egypt’s Mediterranean shore. Invisible to mortal eyes, they both stood tall enough that they could have leaned upon the Lighthouse of Pharos as if it were a walking stick.
  • Its broadly curved blade was wider than the span of his hand, jutting out beyond the haft, more like the khopesh favored by the heathen Egyptians.

Big, it seemingly contains continents (Atlantis is described as one and is far beyond the Mediterranean), Mount Olympus (which is so large it is basically a celestial body), oceans deep enough to swallow 500 meter tall Giants at the shoreline and contain massive deserts.
Cronos's mountain backpack was also stated in an email to be several miles tall if not a dozen, but GOW1 on the PS2 couldn't handle it, so it was toned down a bit because of memory and graphical constraints.

There's also a calc putting Greece at stellar proportions but that might be calc stacking and may or may not make sense
That'd be for the entire mortal flatplain. And as for the calc, well, none such exist other than at the prototype stage and might enter calc-stack territory but really at this point wouldn't matter because the mortal plain amounts to jackshit to the actual cosmos section of the mortal world.

Cronos's mountain backpack was also stated in an email to be several miles tall if not a dozen, but GOW1 on the PS2 couldn't handle it, so it was toned down a bit because of memory and graphical constraints.

That'd be for the entire mortal flatplain. And as for the calc, well, none such exist other than at the prototype stage and might enter calc-stack territory but really at this point wouldn't matter because the mortal plain amounts to jackshit to the actual cosmos section of the mortal world.
1) Yep 2) Yeah but it's cool

I wonder what other stuff the games couldn't add in due to memory constraints that could prolly be fixed by a remake or so.

Agreed, it's great potential to delve into the myths while also telling a story about characters (Like why is Hera so grief stricken? Why the alcoholism?) and Hercules even more so, I've long suspected he's like Thor in the sense he's long struggled to earn his father's attention but hes never quite received it. Maybe that's why the Lion is the only labour Hercules deems as worthy, it's the only one we know got Zeus' attention (since that's when he bestowed the Cestus). Either way, I really hope we get expansion of Hercules someday, like I wouldn't mind the God of War series making him a larger nemesis
Yes. I actually feel like Kratos was based on him, as they have similarities. Both killed their own families, and went on long and grueling journeys in order to redeem themselves.

I actually hope they return to Greece with prequel stories in comics and Novels.

They could even flesh out Ares, by having it be his dysfunctional relationship with Zeus, be the first indication of the cycle, and why Ares is so cruel and angry.

And we still don't know of Kratos 10 years serving the gods aside from Chains of Olympus and GOW 2005.

Would be a really nice chance to introduce the gods, creatures, and heroes we never saw
Agreed, there's insane potential there and it could continue the themes of familial abuse. Odin grooming his own son to be just a weapon his horrifying and we could see that compared to Thor. I imagine Vidarr to be like this Viking Doom Slayer, a silent wretch that basically has nothing but fury and hatred in his bones. Maybe build upon his experimentation with the Bifrost, turning his own son into an inhuman monster with a combination of Bifrost, Seidr magic, and far worse concotions. Maybe that could be why Tyr had so little to do with Odin (since isn't he Odin's son?) or why Baldur seems to resent him and Thor
Viking Doom slayer would be ******* raw.

Vidarr being an experiment, only to be released after Odin's death to Avenge him, is an amazing idea. Since sindri killed Odin he could be on his kill list.

Or, Kratos goes to Egypt to help Atreus after he gets in trouble with the gods there, after looking for Giants years after Ragnarok.

Vidarr awakens from his coffin in which (like the Doom slayer in doom 2016) in which Odin had sealed him until his death

And Attacks The shield maidens, including a newly Mjolnir wielding Valkyrie Thrud. And invades vanaheim battling the vanir, introducing new characters like the vanir we didn't see. Looking for sindri to kill. Kratos and Atreus return with the remaining giants, and take him down

That's a terrible idea. Ignore that. Sounded better in my head lmao
That would be cool, perhaps he can actually use some of Baldur's old attacks, or maybe even be able to hijack your icey runic attacks. Stuff like that or teleporting into mist and creating environmental hazards could be really cool
Yeah, or summoning creatures made of ice, or summoning giant ice shards from the ground like Theseus. And have him steal the leviathan axe and use it just like Kratos (missed opportunity for the Thor fight, where I would have had him take it and dual wield it with Mjolnir)
I'm admittedly more disappointed about Forseti though, he's son of Baldur and Grandson to Odin and Freya. How the hell does he not come up? Dude would be an iconic boss fight, perhaps using Light (Both Bifrost and otherwise) to conjure weapons and using the power of his voice to counter your magic attacks, maybe even give him a Golden Axe. He'd also be a really fun character to meet, have Kratos and Freya reconcile with him and have that be part of the forgiveness theme. Maybe he has a quest involving Baldur in Heilheim?
Me too. He does exist in GOW, as he's mentioned in Ragnarok, and was actually cut from the game for some reason. He was going to be a forensics type of guy.

I'm curious on if he's Baldur's son in this universe, as Baldur can't have children due to his curse. I mean, he could have been born before that, I guess.

Interestingly, his mother, Baldur's wife Nanna is mentioned in 2018 as well.

I wonder what other stuff the games couldn't add in due to memory constraints that could prolly be fixed by a remake or so.
I remember David Jaffe said that originally Ares was supposed to be a being made out of pure energy, and the PS2 just couldn't handle it.

I remember David Jaffe said that originally Ares was supposed to be a being made out of pure energy, and the PS2 just couldn't handle it.
They also had ideas for Cyclopes with full-blown nether-regions (Basically, cyclopes with penises) and a monster made purely out of muscle but they couldn't get that through either due to memory constraints.

They also had ideas for Cyclopes with full-blown nether-regions (Basically, cyclopes with penises) and a monster made purely out of muscle but they couldn't get that through either due to memory constraints.
Yeah that's in the graveyard. And a whole bunch of cut stuff in Ascension like Artemis being playable and I've even heard of a Co-op mode. And Atlantis in GOW2, which we later saw in GOS

At least two GoW devs said a couple years back that Kratos could beat Polygon Man.

And you could get a fictional transcendence feat for Polygon Man through an IGN interview with the PS All Stars director, from before the game came out.
Like, if for example sackboy, another character that survived the tournament, even fought pair to pair with kratos and zeus, shouldn't that scale them equal

Does anyone have the statement for Sigrun > Baldur? Also I heard that Kratos said that Thor and Odin were the toughest fights he's ever had but haven't heard this in my playthrough of Ragnarok. Is anyone aware of such a statement?

when you get some bit-

Best part is the singular comment on the video, saying 'looks better than PS5'

1. What will Atreus's new tier be?

2. Why does Norse Kratos's key say he is comparable to his GOW 1-3 self when in-story he's shown to be way weaker?

Thor was disappointed by Norse Kratos and wanted to see the power of the old Kratos, so Norse Kratos <<< GOW 1-3 Kratos.

"At most 2-C, 2-C in bear form" or sth like that
2. Why does Norse Kratos's key say he is comparable to his GOW 1-3 self when in-story he's shown to be way weaker?
There are apparently several WoG statements that scale Norse Kratos to Greek Kratos, like this:

Thor was disappointed by Norse Kratos
Because Norse Kratos kept holding back

For his Godhood realization key? "At most 2-C" in base, straight up 2-C in Rage Mode

Thor was disappointed by Norse Kratos and wanted to see the power of the old Kratos, so Norse Kratos <<< GOW 1-3 Kratos.
Kratos was holding back. That's why.

When Norse Kratos redlines and slips back into his uncontrolled rage, he's equal to his GOW3 self in terms of strength, speed and durability. Heck, he even holds back on his healing factor just to hide it from Atreus. Heck, he calls Thor's blows in that massively held-back state (without his Blades of Chaos) to be as heavy as any he had ever faced, which would put up Thor to be straight up comparable to the Top 3 Olympians, at best he'd scale to Poseidon and his Hippocampi (Bruno Velazquez also stated that Thor is at the very least strong enough to go against Poseidon's Hippocampi).

Normal Atreus fought Odin alongside Freya and Kratos. Bear Atreus fought Kratos and beat up a Valkyrie
"Beat up" is an understatement, Atreus in Bear Form ripped apart said Valkyrie in half.

Contradicted by Bruno's tweet, countless other Sony Blogs where it states he was super rusty and was slowly awakening his true hidden power, same thing stated by Eric Williams. Cory's good with the lore, but bad with the powerscaling aspects. That's where Bruno and Eric come in.

For his Godhood realization key? "At most 2-C" in base, straight up 2-C in Rage Mode

Kratos was holding back. That's why.

When Norse Kratos redlines and slips back into his uncontrolled rage, he's equal to his GOW3 self in terms of strength, speed and durability. Heck, he even holds back on his healing factor just to hide it from Atreus.
Yes, that's "Spartan Rage" Kratos, which stomps his opponents, not base Norse Kratos.
Heck, he calls Thor's blows in that massively held-back state (without his Blades of Chaos) to be as heavy as any he had ever faced, which would put up Thor to be straight up comparable to the Top 3 Olympians,
Source?
Contradicted by Bruno's tweet, countless other Sony Blogs where it states he was super rusty and was slowly awakening his true hidden power, same thing stated by Eric Williams. Cory's good with the lore, but bad with the powerscaling aspects. That's where Bruno and Eric come in.
That's what I was thinking.

Back