• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gilgamesh (myth) upgrade and slight downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been wanting to make this thread for a while. Pretty much in college we read the epic of Gilgamesh and I’ve found a few feats, but I’m only going to be calculating 1 right now.

In the standard version of Gilgamesh there are two feats. He was stated to have flattened a forest and destroyed a small mountain. The mountain feat lines up with a statement from earlier in the story. However the forest and mountain feat did not appear in the version of the story I read for college meaning these feats aren’t in every version. So I don’t think they can be counted as legitimate.

Instead I have calculated the best feat I have found in every version of Gilgamesh: the bull of heaven making a hole large enough to have 200 people fall to their deaths:

Edit: Calc blog a few comments down.

All results get Small Building level, but the higher results are less than 1.25 times away from baseline 8-C. Considering the bull of heaven does this feat by snorting I believe they have enough of a reason to upscale into 8-C. Also the bull has a feat of decreasing a rivers water level by a notable degree and based off a dnd calc with a similar feat I believe that feat could get decent results.

Finally Gilgamesh should get two keys and have his limitless stamina, and possibly Omniscient removed. He gets tired multiple times throughout the story. Him being Omniscient is also contradicted constantly throughout the story. The end of the story is him going on a large quest to find a way to be immortal and a snake steals his chance at immortality without him knowing.

When it comes to the two keys the Gilgamesh at the end of the story is vastly different than the Gilgamesh at the beginning. Gilgamesh later in the book is cowardly and depressed due to Enkidu’s death and is vastly older. He gets tired way easier, barely managing to stay away for a single day despite not doing anything. He also is most likely weaker. He was terrified of some lion, and while he proceeded to slaughter them effortlessly, he was still scared of them, and his vast decrease in stamina should be a sign that he is weaker in general.

So in conclusion:

Gilgamesh would either be 9-A or 8-C depending on which end of my calc is accepted (I would make it a blog, but as far as I’m aware blogs had their comments erased so might as well just get it accept in a thread because it’s an upgrade either way), with his possibly far higher being replaced with his mountain shattering and forest flattening feat. There should be a note on the bottom of the page saying Gilgamesh doesn’t just scale to those feats because they aren’t in every version of the story and thus may not be legitimate.

He’ll gain a second key which would at least 9-B for killing lions, and possibly higher for being somewhat comparable to his past self.

His stamina should just be superhuman, and his second keys stamina would be above average.

His possible omniscient should be removed.

One final thing I should point out is Gilgamesh has appeared in other Mesopotamian Myths so I’ll ask, is this profile solely based off the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Last edited:
I actually found out slightly after I made this thread blogs do have comments, so would you be ok commenting on my Gilgamesh blog, or would it be ok to have the feat evaluated here. What end should do you agree with using.

I’m glad people want this thread to start back up again. I would have bumped this a long time ago, but my calc still isn’t accepted, I should try to get a calc member to look at it.

I’ve returned because I just learnt something very important. I was talking about Gilgamesh to my brother and he pointed out a ton of stuff I missed throughout the story. It turns out colleges have you read a shorten version of the story. So the mountain feat and forest feat are both usable. I’ll calc the mountain feat when I get the chance.

There is also the part where the... thing I can't remember the name of split a mountain in twane, I can distinctly recall

Would be at least pretty easy to calc I think but either way, yeah, that one is fine

There is also the part where the... thing I can't remember the name of split a mountain in twane, I can distinctly recall

Would be at least pretty easy to calc I think but either way, yeah, that one is fine
Ishtar I think

I was trying to refer to that mountain splitting feat earlier. I just thought it wasn’t in a usable version of the story, but I found out it absolutely is usable. I’ll go look for the quote right now.

I just checked the blog. Which end should be used for the bull feat. Two of the three ends are very close to each other, but if we use the only dirt end it ends up around baseline 9-A.

Yeah it was Humbaba

also, the high end, at the point of going 2.5 kilometers into the ground most of the hole is going to be solid rock

Yeah it was Humbaba

also, the high end, at the point of going 2.5 kilometers into the ground most of the hole is going to be solid rock
You got that unit wrong. In my calc it’s 25 meters (it’s in cm in my calc for ease of calculating later), not 2.5 kilometers.

a

I mean like, there are circumstances where a fall like that is perfectly survivable, some people have survived falling out of a plane mid flight

But it's still incredibly unlikely and, all the same I'm pretty sure that still results in mostly rock, even if less than I figured by misreading the values

I mean a 25 meter fall is technically survivable, but based off everything I read that’s where the large majority of people will absolutely die, especially if they land on rock.

I have a mid end to account for most rock that includes a bit of soil. Just like the high end it also results in the characters probably being 8-C anyways, because the feat is still less than 1.25 times from baseline and the bull does the feat by snorting.

Plus we still need to find the Humbaba quote. If he just split the mountain it probably isn’t getting the tier I thought it would (I thought they destroyed it so it would be 7-C or so, but he just split it so 8-B or 8-A seems more likely).

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I also read it in school for reference, so I can pull up this for the quote

I dunno if translations will differ but here you go:

unknown.png

Oh yeah, this doesn't mean much scaling wise since it did in fact did pin down Humbaba, but also I find it amusing that Shamash considered an entire hurricane and tornado necessary for such a thing

unknown.png

I’m actually kinda curious now if Humbaba could backscale from the winds. He was held down, but that was with all four of them combined, though I think the god doing that did want to kill Humbaba so I can understand it not scaling.

I don’t know how to calc mountain splitting, but I’ve seen that type of feat multiple times on this site. We also know which mountains he split so that’s good.

Considering how often I’ve seen the mountain splitting referenced on other sites, I highly doubt it’s a mistranslation.

You calculate it as though it's a cut, and you calculate a cut through this method

I can walk you through it if you don't really understand

I read the method. What is the tensile strength of stone (or whatever rock would be appropriate) and how thick would the cut be?

thickness, I honestly dunno, considering it doesn't really describe it in much detail in terms of that so I'd assume it's thin, go for 1 centimeter

tensile strength is 131 megapascals for granite

I was thinking 1 cm would be a good low ball.

I’ll reread the method right now, I think what gets me the most is the first step. Do you get the area of the entire object or the area of the cut space?

most people use the area of the entire object but that's also like, wrong so

Do I use the area of the split then, that seems to be the case on the calc you linked.

I just noticed I’m also going to need the width of the mountain to get the area. Currently I’m calculating using Qurnat as Sawda since it’s the largest mountain in the area and the book says mountains. Should I use a different mountain?

You should probably combine the mountains together, considering it says he's splitting multiple.

I was wondering if we would count the splits as different splits happening back to back or as one big split of all of them. It says his steps did it so I imagine it’s a split per step.

Currently I just found the width of the smallest mountain in the world. I’m going to use that for a lowball on my calc, but if someone could pixel scale the mountain I’m using to get the actual width that would be very helpful.

Mountains are conical, and at about a 45 degree angle the height would be the same as the radius

The mountain I’m using very clearly isn’t a cone when you look at the pictures (though maybe the 45 degree thing can work for the length). It’s very wide. Also I just realized getting the area is going to be a nightmare. What shape should I use for the calculator to get the area. It’s not a cone because we are only getting the area of the crack, so do you know a calculator a cone pyramid like shape, but the width or length is very small. Probably explained that poorly, but I have zero clue how else to explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back