• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ghost Rider: Hellfire, Penance Stare and...Thanos?!

Hellfire

A. It seems that Ghost Rider, specifically Johnny Blaze, can produce a 'cold' hellfire, that doesn't actually harm the victim. Instead, it acts like a minor Penance Stare, causing pain and anguish. It basically forces a person to experience their own mistakes over and over against, torturing them with their own sorrow, guilt and fustrations.

Pain Manip, here.

Mind Manip, here.

Based on this, I propose that Ghost Rider and Cosmic Ghost Rider should be said to ignore durability with their hellfire and that their Pain & Mind Manip also comes from the hellfire. Note: Penance Stare is based on what you've done to others. Hellfire can just cause pain on it's own or focus in on your personal guilt/regrets/mistakes.

B. Hellfire can also kill those who are already dead. Seen here, I don't truly know what to consider this. Just an aspect of Hellfire or some kind specific Death Manip?

Penance Stare

A. Doesn't work one those without a soul. Seen here.

Thanos

Thanos has taken a Penance Stare and shrugged it off. Actually he found the experience quite enjoyable. I originally chalked this up to Thanos having no regrets, something that his alternate younger self stated. However, we have to remember something:

Thanos is quite resistant to Mind Manipulation and is skilled in using it. I mean, he keeps Moondragon, who was equipped with the Mind Stone from reading his mind and can challenge Galactus' mental defenses (which even Profressor X fails at). The Penance Stare works as a combination of Mind and Pain Manipulation. Well Thanos resists the Mind Manip and is simply resistant to the Pain? I mean, it makes more sense given that the Penanace Stare works on legit heroes like Brother Vodoo and Doctor Strange who haven't done anything as bad as Thanos has.

As such I move that the regret weakness of Penance Stare be taken out and Thanos be given resistance to Pain Manip.

So people, thoughts?

Um, so recently it had been decided that individual Riders must scale to their own feats, that's why Johnny had some of his abilities removed.

The High Mid regen is likely some artifact leftover from that, and should likely be removed

Rest seems fine.

Back