• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Matches with rounds aren't allowed to be added to profiles.

Anyway, idk about the first round but in the second and third one Gaston has far higher range with bow and arrows (No idea why it says tens of meters on his profile), so he probably just shoots Speedwagon with an arrow, or with his blunderbuss, doesn't really matter. He's a dumbass, but he's a hunter too, he's gotta be a decent shot.

Please do explain how either of those protect him from being shot with an arrow. (Or with a Blunderbuss, that's still faster and has similar range to Speedy's hat)

Are you joking? None of that matters when being sniped with an arrow from a distance. Catching or dodging an arrow is absolutely not a realistic feat for someone with speed equalized to that of a normal human, and reaction speed gets equalized too anyway.

I know the PS2 game is only questionable canon but the game is pretty faithful to the manga and Speedwagon is capable of fighting Johnathan. Speedwagon can use his hat to catch the bullets and arrows. He could try to smash the arrows and bullets in air with the sledgehammer. Reaction Speeds aren't equalized from what I know and Oleggator appears to be correct here.

We don't use that game for scaling, if we did Speedwagon would be 8-C, but even if we did all it would do is give him the same speed rating he has now. And Reaction Speed is equalized, otherwise it would still be a huge factor in literally every Speed Equalized fight. Oleggator is not correct and neither are you.

He's a hunter. It's literally his job to be a good shot, and there is no reason he would miss against a human-sized target such as Speedwagon, who has never shown any dodging or agility feats in the manga. There is of course a chance he'd miss, but it's small enough to not be a factor.

Last edited:
And speedwagon was a bandit, with perfect knowledge of close and long fight, Gaston maybe working as a hunter but he never showed perfect hunter skills. I wouldn't be surprised if he choosed that work just because he wanted to get attention. Even if he would land a hit on speedwagon it would do almost nothing, speedwagon's hat can instantly kill Gaston if he wouldn't use a defense.

Last edited:
It's an arrow. It kills things. Maybe Speedwagon has enough durability to survive one, but his stamina is not enough to keep fighting avter a bad wound and yes, as I have already explained Speedwagon can kill him up if he gets in range, but Gaston's range is like, over ten times higher, there is no way that could happen.

Also, perfect knowledge of close and ranged combat is absolute wank. Speedwagon is in a total of one fight in the whole series and he has a pretty mediocre showing, he's not an idiot but it's wrong to believe he's that good. As for Gaston, he IS an idiot, and he definitely became a hunter because he loves the attention, but the only way he's gonna GET that attention is if he's actually good at it.

Not bad point, however at the same time there's no said a distance from which fights begins.
Let's suppose it 10 meters since there's no preparation.
Good distance for shooting arrow but at the same time perfect distance for speedwagon and using his hat, which unlike Gaston's arrows have more chances to kill Gaston in a single hit.

If it's not specified, they start at the combatant with the highest range's max range. That is to say, a few hundred meters. (If one or both of the combatants' range is over 4 km, they start at 4 km from each other, btw)

Also, if he has a blunderbuss he can probably just shoot down the hat, we don't really know what he hunts iirc but a bird hunter should be able to do that.

Actually it's worthless to debate this if OP doesn't remove rounds, so I'll just stop.

Alright. Then Gaston shoots him with his blunderbuss, since that's faster than throwing a hat. Man Gaston's profile is shit, the gun should be 9-C. Of course that wouldn't change stuff since piercing damage and all.

Arsenal is inferior and really the only thing that matters, he's smarter but he's not a trickster or anything, so that won't help, and he has like, zero stamina feats outside of I guess not fainting when he did the thing with his abs, which is not enough to keep fighting after a gunshot.

Technically all speedwagon needs is throw his hat, hat would distract Gaston from shooting and one shot him. Hunters and snipers needs to be concetrated for getting deadly shots, even if arrow would shot speedwagon, speedwagon would still able to move, while Gaston getting damage from hat would be or dead or unmovable.

It's 10 meters apart, are you kidding? I could make that shot 100% of the time, let alone someone who actually knows how to use a gun. Besides, if Gaston needs to aim, so does he, he has to get the felt off the blades, grab it, aim, throw it and then it has to fly through the air and hit the target. That is in no way faster than lifting a blunderbuss, aiming and shooting. And again, Gaston would probably be able to shoot down the hat anyway.

And as I have already explained, Speedwagon has no stamina feats that suggest he could keep fighting after a gunshot.

First of all, Gaston doesn't have a gun, don't try to make allegory of a gun with a bow , second of all 10 meters is the distance on which speedwagon can throw a hat and kill Gaston, it's easy would be even for you and me to pass 10 meters lesser than 10 seconds, speedwagon not only can understand situation but also can fastly remove himself, he wouldn't be just standing you know.
Heck, even to make a good shot on a standing beast Gaston required nearly 10 secs (), and that excluding the fact that he's also need to take an arrow and made a fit pose for shooting. For that time speedwagon can already throw a hat and make a much harder for Gaston to shot.

Last edited:
His profile states he's got a blunderbuss, if you want that changed make a CRT, I haven't watched the movie in a while so I won't even oppose you. Either way it's literally said in the OP that he does. Your English is not very comprehensible for the rest of the sentence, but what I've understood fails to address what I've said.

Blunderbuss is technically not entirely a gun. It works more like a shotgun and 10 meter distance is definitely not enough space for shotgun. Maybe some bullets would get speedwagon from that distance but wouldn't do so much damage and would require more reload.

What are you talking about? A shotgun's effective range is over 70 meters, and literally just looking up "Blunderbuss effective range" tells you that its range is over 30! And yes, it literally is a gun, 100% a gun, no technicalities here.

Oh, and before you get any ideas, effective range means the gun will work at 100% effectiveness within it, almost every pellet would hit with full-force, more than enough to kill any man.

A shotgun's effective range. Again, wrong allegory, I said Blunderbuss works technically like a shotgun, the best damage is on short distance. But not 70 meters. Also about 30 meters, first of all this is the maximum of blunderbuss, second of all that was English blunderbuss which means that it's not applicable to every blunderbuss.
Third of all, in the same site when you found out about 30 meters I found picture where was shown a max distance of blunderbuss and it's 10 meters, and in 10 meters it would be very ineffective. Cause only a few weak bullets would come to you, and even then not with high probability. While hat thrown in that distance can easily kill you.

First off, it's referring to older models than the one he uses, so higher range. 70 meters I mentioned only because you brought up shotguns and said their range is less than 10 meters, which is just wrong. And no, that's not what that picture is showing, it's referring to cluster density, which is related to effectiveness at range but not to that degree. Nevermind that Gaston's model has a long barrel, while those the picture refers to are "dragons", one-handed versions with a shorter barrel, which equals to lower range. You are wrong, plain and simple. Getting shot at that distance would kill or seriously main anyone to the point of being unable to fight, no ifs about it.

The shotgun I brought because shotgun and blunderbuss are similar in working good only at short distance, you can't guarantee you will kill someone when you will shoot from 10-20 meters at all. An example:
And that was a shotgun in lesser distance than 70 meters.
The chance that blunderbuss will kill speedwagon is same as the chance of Zuko beating Todoroki, not so high.

Don't care to watch the videos. Looking up "shotgun effective range" will get you dozens upon dozens of results and none of them go beneath 40 meters. Drop this point. Also, the Zuko vs Todoroki argument is completely stupid to bring up.

More effective to understand in practice than in theory, second of all Zuko vs Todoroki was used as example of how not large the chance of blunderbuss to hit speedwagon. If you wanted to hear it more straight, I'll say chances are little, especially since speedwagon isn't just standing doll and since Gaston isn't a perfect sniper.

No. Anyone could hit that shot, especially someone with shooting experience, and even hitting with 50% of the pellets (which is an extreme lowball on my part) would be debilitating.

Yes. The guy who didn't showed his shooting expirience at all, wouldn't be so strong with it. Especially since again, aiming requires time, and that scene where he shot beast showed how slow is Gaston when it comes to shooting.

He's a hunter, and one that's admired by his village somehow. That is an indirect showing of shooting experience. And that shot:

1) Was done in a moment where Gaston had no reason to hurry, the Beast was not going to move or fight back, he could take his time aiming and gloating to himself, which you can CLEARLY tell by his expression. I refuse to believe you can't read such basic storytelling, so I'll instead believe you're purposefully ignoring it for the sake of trying to make up an argument.
2) Was done at more than 10 meters of distance.
3) Was done with a bow, which is harder to aim with, and takes time to tense, so it's a completely worthless example in multiple ways.

1. There was only expression for the Beast, you think Gaston at this moment tried to choose shoot him or not? Or make fun of a beast, the common sense must also be applicable.
2. Was done not by a blunderbuss
3. Still very big time to make a good aim, blunderbuss especially can be used once, then neads long reload.

I refuse to continue entertaining you. You're clearly just trying to get Speedwagon to win, and the point you've made are starting to make that evident, nevermind that I can barely understand what you're saying.

So...
Isn't this what debate are about? Choosing side and looking every possibility. The thing is you're looked only on a single possibility where everything goes perfect for Gaston because of smth he didn't ever showed.
Like if you wanted to stop debate you could say: "I'm tired of debating". I would understand that, cause it went too long.
But now you're just made personal transition.

Back