• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fullmetal Alchemist Revision - Part 1, Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
As one of the most universally-recognized and beloved manga/anime out there, the state of Fullmetal Alchemist on this wiki is a little lacking. I mean no insult to the people who worked on the verse, but there's some lackluster and dated parts in the profiles, so I'd like to give my shot at revising it. To do that, I read through the manga again, taking notes all the while. I would like to lie and pretend and say it was a huge sacrifice but nah I love FMA man. I also made like 30+ calcs which was a pain in the ass, but that's not what this CRT is about, since some blogs still have to be approved (these two, for any calc members in the audience)

No, this CRT's subject is refreshing and fixing up the Powers & Abilities of the verse.

There's like... a lot of changes, so I'm just going to hit you with my sandbox, where the revised versions of every character's P&A sit together with some misc notes I took, those aren't necessarily related so don't worry about them (or do, I'm not your dad) The one exception is Truth, cuz I don't wanna revise that one, but even then I have a minor ability addition for it. Most changes aren't too big, it's mostly minor stuff being added and scan additions
  • Either way, here's some of the bigger stuff:
  • Homunculus regeneration goes down from Low-High to High-Mid. While it is true that Philosopher Stones can be liquid, that is, as far as we know, purely a(n al)chemical change of state, and we don't know if one would simply change state if destroyed.
    • Hohenheim (and Father) are Philosopher stones, which do take liquid form within them, so they keep Low-High.
  • On the subject, Homunculi lose their resistance to diseases and toxins. There's not much to say about this it's just... I have no idea where that's from. I read the whole manga and I just did not find it, maybe I missed it but maybe it never existed in the first place, so unless someone can show scans for it, snip snip.
  • Alphonse gets a bunch of very strong-sounding abilities like Immortality Type 9 due to his status. They are explained in the sandbox, do rest assured that I'm not trying to wank him into some kinda immortal hax god, Al is as beatable as ever, he just gets a lot of resistances by virtue of the armor being little more than a metal puppet.
  • Alchemy gets its own Verse-Specific Power page, it easily hits all the requirements and more than deserves the spot. Here is my draft for it, I have not finished adding references to it yet but it's otherwise complete.
Yeah this CRT is pretty short since most of it is in the sandbox lol.

Last edited:
Yeah this CRT is pretty short
Lies!

Anyways, while it's been a long, long while since I've read FMA, I'm still a fan of it. Most of the stuff in this CRT checks out when I skimmed it.
Though...
  • I think there could/should be more elaboration for Al's fighting ability in his intelligence section, maybe. As I recall, he gets better at fighting and one of my most notable memories about him is how well he handled himself fighting against Pride, which was
  • I might have forgotten about this, bear with me, but does the Elric Bros have a no-kill code? In any case I think they tend to avoid killing people, although I suppose this doesn't really often hamper their fighting prowess.
  • Question: I suppose there isn't going to be a key for blind Mustang?
  • Being emotionally attached to Mustang might be possible to be listed as one of Riza's weaknesses, as displayed in her fight with Lust.
  • Although it's already stated in his Notable Attacks section, it might be also better to add in Wrath's weaknesses that Ultimate Eye is limited to things he can actually see and he can be tricked/surprised by something outside his vision.
  • Elaborating on some of the homunculi's weaknesses based on their respective scenes could be good. Like Envy being envious of humans, and Sloth feeling that life itself is bothersome that he kinda celebrates death.
That's what I've surmised for now.

I think there could/should be more elaboration for Al's fighting ability in his intelligence section, maybe. As I recall, he gets better at fighting and one of my most notable memories about him is how well he handled himself fighting against Pride, which was
I will do something like that but Al actually gets very little fights, which is kind of a shame when he's supposed to be the more skilled brother.
I might have forgotten about this, bear with me, but does the Elric Bros have a no-kill code? In any case I think they tend to avoid killing people, although I suppose this doesn't really often hamper their fighting prowess.
They do, I will mention that in Standard Tactics.
Question: I suppose there isn't going to be a key for blind Mustang?
Probably not, his P&A doesn't change outside of being able to do circle-less alchemy and it gets cured anyway.
Being emotionally attached to Mustang might be possible to be listed as one of Riza's weaknesses, as displayed in her fight with Lust.
Good point.
Although it's already stated in his Notable Attacks section, it might be also better to add in Wrath's weaknesses that Ultimate Eye is limited to things he can actually see and he can be tricked/surprised by something outside his vision.
I think it does not belong in P&A but I will mention it in Notable Attacks/Techniues
Elaborating on some of the homunculi's weaknesses based on their respective scenes could be good. Like Envy being envious of humans, and Sloth feeling that life itself is bothersome that he kinda celebrates death.
Good point, I will do that- Keep in mind the non-P&A stuff is not final, it's just a skeleton of what should go on the profiles.

I only skimmed through the blog, but it seems to make sense to me.

A lot to go through for the sandbox (maybe better to have done this CRT in batches of characters?). Oh well. Going through them now.

A lot to go through for the sandbox (maybe better to have done this CRT in batches of characters?). Oh well. Going through them now.
Sorry, I don't think making several CRTs just to add basic stuff like Stealth Mastery and Enhanced Senses to characters is worthwhile though. I am hopeful that most stuff here will be uncontroversial.

Speaking of which, should we consider Brotherhood as secondary canon for the anime? It is meant to be the more "accurate" anime adaptation compared to 2003 and Arakawa did talk with the people working on it so that they would know the plot ahead of time. There are some added scenes and an original episode and movie, I have not gone through those for feats yet so I thought I should ask this just to make sure. We actually have a profile for an anime-only character so this is important.

The Wii, PS2 and PSP games are also canon, believe it or not, Arakawa wrote them, they have specific places in the story and even tie-in prequels that were added in FMA volume releases, but I am not wasting my time with those.

Disagree with this for Father. He's just leaping into the air and then landing on the surface. He doesn't actually levitate.

Rest of the sandbox looks good though.
Oh also, should this actually be minor Acrobatics? He does do a pretty sweet flip and lands without an itch.

think it does not belong in P&A but I will mention it in Notable Attacks/Techniues
I meant that it should be listed in his Weaknesses section. Although it is already listed in his NA/T so it may sound a little redundant, but I think it's fine.

I'm also a bit torn with how you worded Wrath's intelligence.
On one hand, I kinda like the fact that it's short and concise, easy to read.
On the other, it looks too concise, and doesn't immediately convey the gravity of his prowess as the reader must go through the linked image album first.

Speaking of which, should we consider Brotherhood as secondary canon for the anime?
IMO it should, though we should watch out for scenes that may exaggerate the manga versions of the feats. I'm pretty sure the anime versions of Wrath's feats were a lot more impressive-looking compared to the manga.

Thanks, everyone

I meant that it should be listed in his Weaknesses section.
yeah also there
I'm also a bit torn with how you worded Wrath's intelligence.
On one hand, I kinda like the fact that it's short and concise, easy to read.
On the other, it looks too concise, and doesn't immediately convey the gravity of his prowess as the reader must go through the linked image album first.
I'll throw in some more stuff that's in his P&A right now.
IMO it should, though we should watch out for scenes that may exaggerate the manga versions of the feats. I'm pretty sure the anime versions of Wrath's feats were a lot more impressive-looking compared to the manga.
I would take a feat's depiction in the manga over the anime, at most I'd use brohood to get some stuff on a feat that is impossible to calculate with what the manga gives us (there's a few, especially regarding speed)

YESSS FINALLY

I'm so glad someone actually decided to make a FMA revision because I know I'd be too lazy to do so :cry: tysm Armor..
Long time coming, eh?
So all characters that have automail will have Cyborgization (partial) and all the characters that are suits of armour will have Inorganic physiology (Type 2)?
Yeah. Suits of armor and mannequins also get Alphonse's other P&A related to his condition, such as Type 9 immortality.

By the way, I have finished working on the "Alchemy (Fullmetal Alchemist)" page, any objections to me posting it?

I’m unsure if Edward letting the entire town hear the dude’s plan in secret counts as social influencing as opposed to spilling the beans. If he had a speech to convince the entire town to go against him then sure, but I don’t think that’s gonna be enough.

Not sure about attack reflection for Al as that’s just him being durable enough to have bullets bounce off as opposed to him having the skill or a magical ability to reflect attacks.

Shouldn’t you use the scan for Gluttony having the giant vore stomach as well for the natural weaponry? I feel like just him biting isn’t enough for natural weaponry.

I’m pretty sure the animal instincts for chimera should be enhanced senses considering animals have well…. enhanced senses. Do they actually have any energy sensing feats like Ling and his folks can do?

the rest looks good including the Alchemy page.

I’m unsure if Edward letting the entire town hear the dude’s plan in secret counts as social influencing as opposed to spilling the beans. If he had a speech to convince the entire town to go against him then sure, but I don’t think that’s gonna be enough.
Meh, it was a plan he had and he pulled it off pretty well, you could argue some of the other stuff he pulls off throughout the series shows him being really good at influencing people, such as the way he passed the State Alchemist exam- Pulling a weapon on the king of Amestris is a pretty ****** risky gamble that worked out for him.
Not sure about attack reflection for Al as that’s just him being durable enough to have bullets bounce off as opposed to him having the skill or a magical ability to reflect attacks.
Hence the minor, but they bounce off of him at dangerous speeds and this isn't purely a durability thing as it happens with Father's bullets too.
Shouldn’t you use the scan for Gluttony having the giant vore stomach as well for the natural weaponry? I feel like just him biting isn’t enough for natural weaponry.
I mean, he can use his teeth much more effectively than others with stats comparable to his can, that implies that he's naturally predisposed to having a really strong bite force or that his teeth are sharper than they look. The stomach is actually his ribs shooting out, so that would be body control.
I’m pretty sure the animal instincts for chimera should be enhanced senses considering animals have well…. enhanced senses. Do they actually have any energy sensing feats like Ling and his folks can do?
Not explicitly but like, you can't use your senses to feel danger lol, they pretty explicitly can tell that specific individuals are threats, you could call it Info Analysis if you prefer but something is going on that is not their five senses, especially since enhanced senses is something else that Chimeras have and often play into the same scenes, with a distinction made between the two. For example Darius feels a "bad feeling" coming from Gluttony's direction but cannot actually see him unlike Heinkel could so he has to fight him at close range.
the rest looks good including the Alchemy page.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Lan Fan has an auto-mail arm now as well, could use partial Cyborgization. Her profile could also use a maskless render.

I'm unsure whether to count Al's self-sustenance since the dude's body is still technically receiving food, water and sleep via Ed, it's just his metal shell that doesn't need those things.

Ed's social influencing is a bit of a stretch. He basically just connected a speaker there and let the dude unload without much prompting.

Otherwise the rest along with the added additions and subtractions by other peeps looks good.

Fair point on all that. Although at the same time I don't know if Al's soul would die if his body did, we see that Barry's body is not in a condition in which it should be alive but Barry's armor body was doing just fine. And the Mannequins, I don't think they had any ways to feed those, especially since they were meant indefinitely as Amestris' Army. Although they did eat people so I dunno. I do think this leads some credence to the interpretation that Al in the armor would be fine even if his body were to starve, he just would never be able to come back to it.

Alchemists should have information analysis as well.

Resistance to disease and toxins comes from the original anime iirc, so yeah shouldn't be there.

Also all Alchemists should have Information Analysis, a basic part of Alchemy is analysis of the matter your transmuating.

And to elaborate on Edward's soul Manipulation, iirc he also used it to turn himself into a philosopher's stone and attacked Pride's soul. Should probably mention that.

Also I'd hold off on the regeneration, I have a scan somewhere that they can regeneration from liquid due to the Stone. Iirc in the Brotherhood anime which is extremely faithful to the manga, Roy states that he turned Gluttony into a puddle of boiling hot fat or something along those lines.

The Homunculi should also have type 8, since they're reliant on Father. Or whatever form of immortality is the following; even if their stones are turned into liquid, Father can recreate a new copy of them. So as long as he lives they can't die "permanently."

Alchemists should have information analysis as well. Also all Alchemists should have Information Analysis, a basic part of Alchemy is analysis of the matter your transmuating.
That is done through years of study, not scanning the matters as they touch it. This is shown by Scar failing to transmute Ed's new automail because he did not realize it wasn't steel.
And to elaborate on Edward's soul Manipulation, iirc he also used it to turn himself into a philosopher's stone and attacked Pride's soul. Should probably mention that.
That is already in the Alchemy page, I was gonna put it in his P&A though yes.
Also I'd hold off on the regeneration, I have a scan somewhere that they can regeneration from liquid due to the Stone.
Then show it lol. I'm gonna make another CRT addressing stats before applying this one, if you don't have it by then I am not going to wait since that'll already have been a while.
The Homunculi should also have type 8, since they're reliant on Father. Or whatever form of immortality is the following; even if their stones are turned into liquid, Father can recreate a new copy of them. So as long as he lives they can't die "permanently."
That's resurrection/outside help, not Type 8

That is done through years of study, not scanning the matters as they touch it. This is shown by Scar failing to transmute Ed's new automail because he did not realize it wasn't steel.
Scar is a bit different, he can only destroy since he skips the creation step all together. But I suppose that's fair, but it's definitely a solid feat for their intelligence
That is already in the Alchemy page, I was gonna put it in his P&A though yes.
Ah nvm then. Good job with all this btw!
Then show it lol. I'm gonna make another CRT addressing stats before applying this one, if you don't have it by then I am not going to wait.
I will, would you be willing to give me a few minutes to gather the scans?
That's resurrection/outside help, not Type 8
So type 4?

Scar is a bit different, he can only destroy since he skips the creation step all together. But I suppose that's fair, but it's definitely a solid feat for their intelligence
Creation is the final step but he still has to go through step 1 (analysis) to reach the second which is deconstruction. And yeah it really shows how virtually any Alchemist we see in FMA has really thorough knowledge of the world that surrounds them.
Ah nvm then. Good job with all this btw!
Thanks.
I will, would you be willing to give me a few minutes to gather the scans?
Of course
So type 4?
No, cuz again outside help.

Can you show the actual fight? Or point me to it at least. Could very well be hyperbole.

Can you show the actual fight? Or point me to it at least. Could very well be hyperbole.
Episode 19 of Brotherhood, around 5 minutes or so. I'd be hesitant on labeling it as a hyperbole, Roy is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to burning bodies after all.

I'd post the full fight here but I don't feel like getting sued by Aniplex lol.

Knowing something =/= not being hyperbolic about it. Could very easily be a figure of speech. And looking at the "fight" itself, Gluttony's body is in one, solid piece so I think that is the most likely option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back