• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Feed Me Your Wretched Anime Suggestions

Can the same person recommend another one? If so then I'd recommend "Akame Ga Kill" too. The only bummer about the Anime is that it was completed before the Manga so the endings are different.

Well, what the frig...

Why not try Hajime no Ippo (known as Fighting Spirit in English)?

It's not a grandiose story, it's pretty straightforward: a shy, but hardworking Ippo is introduced to boxing by Takamura a rising star boxer, and develops a passion for it. The story is about Ippo's life and career as a boxer, how he prepares for matches, the people he meets in the boxing world, his friends, his opponents and how having discovered a passion to give his all changed Ippo's life.

Now don't expect a heavy drama like Rocky or Million Dollar Baby, the story shows the struggle of the characters but these aren't tragedies. All in all things don't try to be complex or overly dark, like how many manga and anime try to be, and I think that being simple is a strong point for it.

The anime despite being a shounen is surprisingly grounded, even if the fights are dramatized for entertainment value. So you get some over the top visuals here and there, but no crazy nonsense like ki powers or special attacks, except from very few exceptions that aren't that silly. Most of the theory seen is actually rooted in real boxing stuff, thanks to the author being a real life boxing coach.

It does have an English dub and I think it's on netflix. Now, the anime is like 70 or so episodes and has several seasons, so I know that's a no-no, but I think you can simply watch until episode 20 or so, which covers the first tournament Ippo enters and the moment he decides to dedicate his life to boxing, it works well as a self contained story that way.

Well, what the frig...

Why not try Hajime no Ippo (known as Fighting Spirit in English)?

It's not a grandiose story, it's pretty straightforward: a shy, but hardworking Ippo is introduced to boxing by Takamura a rising star boxer, and develops a passion for it. The story is about Ippo's life and career as a boxer, how he prepares for matches, the people he meets in the boxing world, his friends, his opponents and how having discovered a passion to give his all changed Ippo's life.

Now don't expect a heavy drama like Rocky or Million Dollar Baby, the story shows the struggle of the characters but these aren't tragedies. All in all things don't try to be complex or overly dark, like how many manga and anime try to be, and I think that being simple is a strong point for it.

The anime despite being a shounen is surprisingly grounded, even if the fights are dramatized for entertainment value. So you get some over the top visuals here and there, but no crazy nonsense like ki powers or special attacks, except from very few exceptions that aren't that silly. Most of the theory seen is actually rooted in real boxing stuff, thanks to the author being a real life boxing coach.

It does have an English dub and I think it's on netflix. Now, the anime is like 70 or so episodes and has several seasons, so I know that's a no-no, but I think you can simply watch until episode 20 or so, which covers the first tournament Ippo enters and the moment he decides to dedicate his life to boxing, it works well as a self contained story that way.
Peak (will Bambu like this tho?)

Suggesting my 5 favourite anime that I don't expect will completely repulse you, and haven't been added to your list in the OP.
  1. Zaregoto (incredible murder mystery)
  2. Death Note (two mind game gods, a supernatural murderer and a detective, duke it out to prove guilt/innocence)
  3. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ("what if human willpower and the desire to be free was a literal source of power" taken to its logical conclusion)
  4. Welcome to the NHK (miserable loser garbage tries as best as his awful heart can to not be such a piece of shit)
  5. Dr. Stone (genius gets sent to prehistoric tech levels and tries to rebuild civilisation)
From the ones in the OP I will second Erased and JJBA. Would anti-suggest Dragon maid.

WATCH BLACK CLOVER IMMEDIATELY!!!

From the ones in the OP I will second Erased and JJBA.
I second JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
my-man-meme.gif

Suggesting my 5 favourite anime that I don't expect will completely repulse you, and haven't been added to your list in the OP.
  1. Zaregoto (incredible murder mystery)
  2. Death Note (two mind game gods, a supernatural murderer and a detective, duke it out to prove guilt/innocence)
  3. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ("what if human willpower and the desire to be free was a literal source of power" taken to its logical conclusion)
  4. Welcome to the NHK (miserable loser garbage tries as best as his awful heart can to not be such a piece of shit)
  5. Dr. Stone (genius gets sent to prehistoric tech levels and tries to rebuild civilisation)
From the ones in the OP I will second Erased and JJBA. Would anti-suggest Dragon maid.
I've seen Death Note. Death Note was excellent, definitely the next best after Neon Genesis.

For the record of the thread: I've seen Death Note, Mekakucity Actors, Bleach (like four seasons of it, worst suggestion I've ever received, holy ****), Sword Art Online, Overlord, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Hellsing Ultimate, and Neon Genesis: Evangelion. One a year for many years. I've also caught a lot of a handful that my sister watched when we were a bit younger- Fruit's Basket and another one whose name escapes me right now.
Could you explain what made you like EVA so much? This way it's easier to recommend something you'll probably like.
It has a lot of psychological elements that make the characters seem like more than a one-dimensional trope, going beyond a character who is just there to defy said trope (which would be equally one-dimensional, I think). It doesn't engage in the same anime stereotypes as others, and when it comes close it portrays a lot of it in a very different light. I like the worldbuilding and the vibe of the world, and the design of many things is very good. The first time I watched it, I realized very quickly that it was the first anime to make me feel terribly sad and empty upon finishing it (this was a handful of years ago... 2019? How many suggestions back was Eva? Don't remember).

What's the genre u most interested in?ヾ⁠(⁠ ͝⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ͡⁠°⁠)⁠ノ⁠♪

Well one of my suggestion is CHARLOTTE
Probably some flavor of fantasy. I don't really judge from genre, any genre can dip into my tastes. I enjoy the macabre but that isn't a defining property of what I'd enjoy- if you knew my favorite movies you would get it, but I don't wanna belt out a bunch of those right now to the anime fans. I've also been considering just taking the best slice of life piece for a long time now. I don't hate simplicity. Simple can be nice. But I'd want it to be something that goes against the standard tropes- no arbitrary isekai stuff, no dumb protagonist who is inexplicably attractive enough to get a harem despite us being told he's a "total loser" or whatever. I don't need hyper-intelligent content but I think most anime is written with horribly bad dialogue, like practically only worth watching as a kid. The dialogue means a lot. That's all I got right now.

Do we get to hear your thoughts on the show once you've finished?
I normally post if I liked it or not, at least. Quoting my post from last year:

I've come to announce that I finally got around to watching Hellsing: Ultimate for this year's anime. Shit was pretty decent, better than last year's anime (FMAB). Animation was fucky at times and a lot of the dialogue was frankly downright atrocious, but it had the aesthetics right and that's what really counts. Give it a 7/10.
I could be more in-depth if that's actually wanted, but I figure that opinions are like assholes- everybody has 'em, and most of them stink. I don't want to give my opinion unprompted, but if people want that, sure.

I would recommend Durarara but something gives me the feeling you wouldn't like it. I'd recommend Dragon Ball Gate or Bebop.

(Tanin & Cinder are based btw)
I didn't see that last suggestion.

Bebop is banned media, even though I agree that I think I'd like it. My exes all get a piece of media that I'll never watch coz of them, Bebop is one of them. The other anime on that list (I don't think I'd watch it anyways, but it is on the list) is Hetalia.

Sorry.

bro who the fuck suggested Dragon Maid. i wouldn't suggest that shit to anyone, let alone a guy who's one of the most anti-weeb people i know of

Anyways, while I've only just started the manga, I've heard that Dungeon Meshi (or Delicious in Dungeon) is exceptionally good. Author's a big high fantasy/D&D fan (here's some of her Baldur's Gate fanart, for reference), and it evidently bleeds into her work a lot, so it sounds right up your alley. The anime's ongoing, but I've heard nothing but good things about it (the manga is finished, though, if you'd prefer that route).
Update: I've read a bit more and I think it's excellent, so you can consider this a recommendation. I love the more analytical look at a dungeon ecosystem and all the little details that make the world feel so much more cohesive, strung together with recipes I wish were real. It also just has a very likeable main cast, one of the only series where I was on board with every character since chapter 1.

bro who the fuck suggested Dragon Maid. i wouldn't suggest that shit to anyone, let alone a guy who's one of the most anti-weeb people i know of

Anyways, while I've only just started the manga, I've heard that Dungeon Meshi (or Delicious in Dungeon) is exceptionally good. Author's a big high fantasy/D&D fan (here's some of her Baldur's Gate fanart, for reference), and it evidently bleeds into her work a lot, so it sounds right up your alley. The anime's ongoing, but I've heard nothing but good things about it (the manga is finished, though, if you'd prefer that route).
Holy shit.

I clicked the link expecting BG3 people. which, like, technically, y'know, Jaheira

what a blast from the past, god damn. Think my party was Neera, Dorn, and Branwen- also frequently used Jaheira, Khalid, Ajantis (annoying ************), Kivan, Imoen, and Xan.

I might take a look. This is good.

has a lot of psychological elements that make the characters seem like more than a one-dimensional trope, going beyond a character who is just there to defy said trope (which would be equally one-dimensional, I think). It doesn't engage in the same anime stereotypes as others, and when it comes close it portrays a lot of it in a very different light. I like the worldbuilding and the vibe of the world, and the design of many things is very good. The first time I watched it, I realized very quickly that it was the first anime to make me feel terribly sad and empty upon finishing it (this was a handful of years ago... 2019? How many suggestions back was Eva? Don't remember).
Well, according to your answer, I think you'll like Lain. I won't provide a summary because I'm not good at it, but what I liked most was how the work operates on the idea that if you don't know someone (you have never met this person, you are not even aware of their existence), that makes that person literally non-existent to reality itself. Reality itself is not something definitive; a definitive reality does not exist, but rather a quantum reality that is in constant change and contradiction. The very concept of logic is illogical.

I've seen Death Note. Death Note was excellent, definitely the next best after Neon Genesis.
I've also been considering just taking the best slice of life piece for a long time now. I don't hate simplicity. Simple can be nice. But I'd want it to be something that goes against the standard tropes- no arbitrary isekai stuff, no dumb protagonist who is inexplicably attractive enough to get a harem despite us being told he's a "total loser" or whatever. I don't need hyper-intelligent content but I think most anime is written with horribly bad dialogue, like practically only worth watching as a kid. The dialogue means a lot. That's all I got right now.
Most SoL stuff I enjoy is on the comedy side, but I'll chuck the top one for consideration; Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou aka Daily Lives of High-school Boys aka Nichibros. Very funny and shockingly relatable show featuring sketches of high school life, initially focusing on a small group of friends at an all-men HS, expanding to their other friends and people they know.
Well, according to your answer, I think you'll like Lain. I won't provide a summary because I'm not good at it, but what I liked most was how the work operates on the idea that if you don't know someone (you have never met this person, you are not even aware of their existence), that makes that person literally non-existent to reality itself. Reality itself is not something definitive; a definitive reality does not exist, but rather a quantum reality that is in constant change and contradiction. The very concept of logic is illogical.
That's not the read I got from it, but it is admittedly pretty vague.

I'm not on the list, it's so over.

I'd also soft-second Stein's Gate and Charlotte, I think they're a bit weaker.

That's not the read I got from it, but it is admittedly pretty vague.
From what I said, the only thing that I would say is not what I really thought is the quantum part because I used it more in the figurative sense as everything is in constant change and contradiction, Lain seems to assume the role of being "reality" itself, trying to define whether something really exists because if everything that is not recognized does not exist, what defines that the person who recognizes something is something real? And are recognition cycles that are closed and do not propagate other realities? What is Lain? different realities trying to be one thing?

I am going to put another suggestion for Berserk (1997). A very dark yet memorable fantasy story. Also, Monster is a fantastic crime drama and is also well worth your time.

Dr. Stone (genius gets sent to prehistoric tech levels and tries to rebuild civilisation)
woxv2ldv2bh61.png
Gonna suggest Ascendance of a Bookworm, which is like Dr. Stone, but the protagonist is no genius (still smart, though)... and the main opponent is sickness... and it's not stone age but Medieval, so there's more society.

I'm not on the list, it's so over.

I'd also soft-second Stein's Gate and Charlotte, I think they're a bit weaker.
forgot to add you

everyone gets on the list, I'm playing Baldur's Gate

I don't have much else to suggest besides what's already listed, but to add something I enjoyed and liked Heavenly Delusion and Hell's Paradise

Back