• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Featherine's memory device weakness. Confused..

"If the memory device on her head is destroyed, she will permanently lose her memory"

Question: If featherine memory device is damaged will she have any power/abilities left? Can she use her powers? Will she even remember that she is Featherine? Will she become normal witch? Will she get vanished from existence?

Ok now let me say - Featherine (with her memory device damaged) vs The Living Tribunal.

How will that fight go? Can Featherine fight The Living Tribunal with her memory device damaged?

Discuss.

The description is lacking here. Who is she and what can she do?

How much memory does she lose?

Does she lose control of her powers?

Is she still combat capable post-memory wipe?

I see. Well, the profile does not say how much memory she loses when she gets her device destroyed. A quick google doesn't seem to show some results either.

There seems to be a misconception about the memory device. Featherine reached as high as you possibly can in the verse and touched the realm of the Creator. Anything that actually reaches the level of the Creator ceases to be an individual and becomes part of it (sort of like Nirvana), basically no longer existing. The memory device just allows Featherine to stay Featherine.

Basically what Azathoth said. The Memory Device allows Featherine to be Featherine...to retain her personality and such. Honestly in my opinion, due to it's horn like appearance, it just serves as a nod to the audience showing her link to Hanyuu.

This stuff happened sometime somewhere

• It is noted by Lambdadelta that, at one point, Featherine's memory device was damaged, and as a result she suffered a change in appearance and personality. Hanyü's left horn has a distinct crack on the top, strengthening the link between the two.

I see, so it's not a weakness then. Rather, it's a bit negligible in a fight if her personality changes but her combat capacity remains the same.

Well, if that's the case then that's a clear weakness. Could others share their interpretations maybe?

Because Azathoth said that it allows Feathers to stay as herself and not some sort of demigod with lack of identity.

Supposedly Featherine is simply Hanyu but on a higher plane of existence as hinted when Bernkastel was separated from Rika, she thanked her for "giving her a new friend."

Her demi-god status has nothing to do with it. But I don't understand why we would assume when the device is broken she becomes Hanyu who is, again, on a lower plane of existence instead of becoming one with the creator.

@Azathoth I would appreciate if you could clarify the matter within her profile. Thank you.

Nabzilla said:
I don't get it. Now I am more confused now..
Pretty much her old self before she became powerful would no longer exist with out that memory device. If it's gone she would become someone else.

its like a split personality ordeal.

Pretty much her old self before she became powerful would no longer exist with out that memory device. If it's gone she would become someone else.
its like a split personality ordeal.

Old self you mean back to her old state right? Like becoming weak?

This discussion is far from over.

Excerpt from Lambda vs. Featherine in EP8:

The horseshoe-shaped memory storage device floating around Featherine's head.
Without that, she couldn't maintain her existence.
It'd be impossible to destroy it, …but if she could manage to hit it, …she might be able to cause a bug in the memory device. There had been one time in the past when Featherine's memory device had taken damage, and a changed personality had been brought about.

Then in EP8's guidebook Ryukishi outright states that Bern is all the cruelest memories and recollections of Frederika Bernkastel after being separated from Rika and left alone in the sea of fragments. Hanyuu is what might happen if Featherine's memory device breaks down.

Ryukishi comment on Featherine:

Do you remember how there were katana cuts on Hanyuu's horns?
With that blow, "her" memory device broke down, and there was a bug in her existence.
Because of that, she became a character with a completely different identity from Featherine.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
There seems to be a misconception about the memory device. Featherine reached as high as you possibly can in the verse and touched the realm of the Creator. Anything that actually reaches the level of the Creator ceases to be an individual and becomes part of it (sort of like Nirvana), basically no longer existing. The memory device just allows Featherine to stay Featherine.
So what happens if the device is broken or removed?

Also, IIRC, Featherine never actually became a Creator, she just reached its realm but only touched the last boundary, not actually becoming one.

The Everlasting said:
So what happens if the device is broken or removed?

No one knows. Presumably due to this device she survived after reaching the highest heights.

Perhaps she will simply disappear. Her internal depth has reached the limit of evolution. Memory loss does not change this. That is, I do not think she would turn into Hanyu. Hanyu probably exists as a separate entity.

This may deprive her capabilities to use this power. But you must be the being of the same level to attempt to take advantage of this weakness.

It is merely my speculation at this point. Your mileage may vary.

Lambda points:

1. Without that, she couldn't maintain her existence. (Featherine is gone until the bug/device is repaired)

2. impossible to destroy (for her or anyone else in Umineko-verse, their powerlevel is vastly different)

3. Featherine's memory device had taken damage. (suggests that it can be destroyed, not some impenetrable unscratchable deus machina)

Ryukishi points:

1. Katana cuts. (Reminder to onry use glorious nippon katana folded 1000 times, hue)

1. bug in her existence. (Her existence still exist actually)

2. completely different identity from Featherine. (No more muh high 1-A magic, or not)

Hanyuu is what might happen if Featherine's memory device breaks down. (it means the device become pieces of scrap or iff you removed it from her).

Notice that she will become Hanyuu at this point and she will only be able to do what Hanyuu can do (it is a complete different person afterall or maybe not since completely different identity doesn't correlate with bug in existence, so there is still a probability that Hanyu retains Featherine stats etc but only lose omniscient).

When the device break down, it doesn't mean that Featherine is completely obliterated from existence or non existence since that can only happen if Featherine become one with the Creator or something along that.

Ultimately I agree with DarkLK where Hanyuu can't remember that she is Featherine but still retains all her stats minus intelligence, unless someone or nanomachines repaired the memory device. (it makes no sense if high1-A can destroy Hanyu just because a memory device and DarkLK already said that her internal depth has reached the limit of evolution)

Featherine = Feather-in = þ¥¢ (feather) + ÕàÑ ("in") = þ¥¢ÕàÑ = Hanyuu

Augustus Aurora = Auau

Hanyuu is what might happen if Featherine's memory device breaks down.

Give me a link to such statement by Ryukishi.

Sorry DarkLK, I just realized I put the paragraph wrongly. I already edited it up there.

Source:

http://pc-game.doorblog.jp/archives/1527875.html&prev=search

This link has the post about Ep6 and Ep8 Guidebook excerpt that provides connection between Hanyuu and Featherine.

Revelation readings of EP6 (probably came from the Ep6 Guidebook)

EP6Òü«þ£ƒþø©ÞºúµÿÄÞ¬¡µ£¼

――´╝ÆÒüñÒü«ÞºÆÒüîÒüéÒéïÒâòÒéºÒéÂÒâ¬Òâ╝ÒâîÒü«ÕñûÞªïÒüïÒéëÒÇü『Òü▓ÒüÉÒéëÒüù』Òü«µƒÉÒé¡ÒâúÒâ®ÒéÆÚÇúµâ│ÒüòÒéîÒüƒµû╣ÒééÕñÜÒüäÒéêÒüåÒüºÒüÖÒüî……ÒÇé

þ½£Ú¿ÄÕú½´╝É´╝ù

ÒüØÒü«ÒéêÒüåÒüºÒüÖÒüîÒÇü『ÒüåÒü┐Òü¡Òüô』Òü½Òü»ÒüØÒéôÒü¬Òé¡ÒâúÒâ®Òé»Òé┐Òâ╝Òü»ÒüäÒü¥ÒüøÒéôÒüù(þ¼æ)ÒÇéÒâòÒéºÒéÂÒâ¬Òâ╝ÒâîÒü¿ÒüäÒüåÒé¡ÒâúÒâ®Òé»Òé┐Òâ╝Òü½ÒüñÒüäÒüªÒü«ÞºúÚçêÒü»ÒÇüÒâùÒâ¼ÒéñÒâñÒâ╝Òü«µû╣ÒÇàÒü½Òüèõ╗╗ÒüøÒüùÒüƒÒüäÒü¿µÇØÒüäÒü¥ÒüÖ´╝êþ¼æ)ÒÇé

――ÒüØÒüåÒüºÒüÖÒüïÒÇé『´╝Ñ´¢É´╝û』ÒüºÒâÖÒâ½Òâ│Òé½Òé╣ÒâåÒâ½Òü«ÚüÄÕÄ╗Òü½ÒüñÒüäÒüªþñ║ÕöåÒüòÒéîÒüªÒüäÒüƒÒü«ÒüºÒÇü『Òü▓ÒüÉÒéëÒüù』Òü«ÕÅñµëïµó¿Þè▒Òü¿ÒâÖÒâ½Òâ│Òé½Òé╣ÒâåÒâ½Òü«Úûóõ┐éÒüîÒÇüõ╗èÕ¥îµÅÅÒüïÒéîÒéïÕÅ»Þ⢵ǺÒééÒüéÒéïÒü«ÒüºÒü»……Òü¿ÒééµÇØÒüêÒü¥ÒüùÒüƒÒü«Òüº……ÒÇé

þ½£Ú¿ÄÕú½´╝É´╝ù

þºüÒü¿ÒüùÒüªÒü»『Òü▓ÒüÉÒéëÒüù』Òü»ÒüéÒüÅÒü¥ÒüºÕëìõ¢£ÒüºÒüéÒüúÒüªÒÇü『ÒüåÒü┐Òü¡Òüô』Òü¿Òâ¬Òâ│Òé»ÒüùÒüªÒüäÒéïÒü¿Òü»ÞÇâÒüêÒüªÒüäÒü¬ÒüäÒéôÒüºÒüÖÒéêÒÇéÒüƒÒüáÒâ¬Òâ│Òé»ÒüùÒüªÒüäÒéïÒü¿µÇØÒéÅÒéîÒüªÒüäÒéïµû╣Òü»ÒÇüÒüØÒü«ÒéêÒüåÒü½ÞºúÚçêÒüùÒüªÚáéÒüäÒüªÒééÞë»ÒüäÒü¿µÇØÒüäÒü¥ÒüÖÒÇé

Hurka durka, Fezarinu looks like someone from Higurashi. Ryukishi answered Higurashi is his previous works. He will leave that interpretation to the player. But those who believed there are some link, he think he may interpret it that way.

Ep8 Guidebook

EP8Òü«þ£ƒþø©ÞºúµÿÄÞ¬¡µ£¼

ÒÇçÒâòÒéºÒéÂÒâ¬Òâ╝Òâî

þ¥¢ÕàÑÒü«ÞºÆÒü½ÕêÇÕéÀÒüîÒüéÒüúÒüƒÒü«ÒéÆÞªÜÒüêÒüªÒüäÒü¥ÒüÖÒüï´╝ƒÒüéÒü«õ©ÇµÆâÒüºÒÇîÕ¢╝ÕÑ│ÒÇìÒü«Þ¿ÿµåÂÞúàþ¢«ÒüîµòàÚÜ£ÒüùÒÇüÕ¢╝ÕÑ│Òü«Õ¡ÿÕ£¿ÒüîÒâÉÒé░ÒüúÒüªÒüùÒü¥ÒüúÒüƒÒü«ÒüºÒüÖÒÇé

ÒüØÒü«ÒüƒÒéüÒÇüÒâòÒéºÒéÂÒâ¬Òâ╝ÒâîÒü¿Òü»Òü¥ÒüúÒüƒÒüÅþò░Òü¬ÒéïÒéóÒéñÒâçÒâ│ÒâåÒéúÒâåÒéúÒéƵîüÒüúÒüƒÒé¡ÒâúÒâ®Òü½Òü¬ÒüúÒüªÒüùÒü¥ÒüúÒüƒ´¢Ñ´¢Ñ´¢ÑÒÇüÒü¿ÒüäÒüåÚÜáÒüùÞ¿¡Õ«ÜÒüîÒüéÒüúÒüƒÒéèÒü¬ÒüïÒüúÒüƒÒé财Ѵ¢Ñ´¢ÑÒÇé

Translation of Featherine profile provided by http://ruriair.tumblr.com/post/6574141267/ryukishi-character-comments-part-1

Featherine

Do you remember how there were katana cuts on Hanyuu's horns? With that blow, "her" memory device broke down, and there was a bug in her existence. Because of that, she became a character with a completely different identity from Featherine… or there may or may not have been a hidden scenario like that…

(Ryukishi is just being a roundabout here, there is no point of mentioning this if he didn't agree himself that Featherine = Hanyuu)

Japanese wikipedia quotes Ryukishi

Õăõ¢£ÞÇàÒü«þ½£Ú¿ÄÕú½07ÒüäÒéÅÒüÅÒÇüµÿöÒü«ÒüôÒéìÒü½Úá¡Òü«ÕÀªÒü«ÞºÆÒéÆÕéÀÒüñÒüæÒüƒþÁɵףÒü«Õº┐ÒüîÒÇü『Òü▓ÒüÉÒéëÒüùÒü«Òü¬ÒüÅÚáâÒü½』Òü½þÖ╗Õá┤ÒüÖÒéïÒÇî þ¥¢ÕàÑ ÒÇìÒüáÒü¿ÒüäÒüåÒÇéµ£¼õ¢£ÒüºÒü»ÒÇüÞºÆÒü«ÕéÀÒüîÕø×Õ¥®ÒüùÒüªõ╗èÒü½Þç│Òéï´╝êõ¢£õ©¡ÒüºÒü»µÿÄÒüïÒüòÒéîÒüªÒüäÒü¬Òüä)ÒÇéÒâ×Òâ│Òé¼þëêÒü½ÒüèÒüäÒüªÒü»ÒÇüþ¥¢ÕàÑÒüØÒü«ÒééÒü«Òü«Õº┐ÒüîÕø×µâ│ÒüºþÖ╗Õá┤ÒüùÒüªÒüäÒéïÒÇé

Says Ryukishi07 of authorship, Hanyu who appeared in "When They Cry" is the figure of the result of damage to the corner to the left of the head to the old days. In this work, the wound of the corner already recovered. In the manga version, the figure of Hanyu has appeared in recollection.

Blog about Japanese guy agreed with Japanese wikipedia

http://kisakiyukimi.blog.fc2.com/?mode=m&no=102 (this doesn't even matter honestly)

Japanese guy agree with Featherine = Hanyu

irimadonna.blog63.fc2.com/blog-entry-778.html (this too)

Super Hanyuu > The Living Tribunal.

I never doubted that Featherine = Hanyu in a sense, but we need to understand this concept.

Hanyuu (alien girl) got a notch on her horn. Not Featherine (transcendent witch) but usual Hanyu (who exists in each of the fragments in the endless higurashi multiverse) even before her ascension. There was no scene where Featherine turns into Hanyu or vice versa.

Nevertheless Featherine concept suggests that once in the past has device been damaged. And it must be associated with Hanyu's horn. We can think of another example of concepts formation. Virgilia was the previous Beatrice, who taught magic to current Beatrice. This is the concept of the witch Beatrice. However, this is only a reflection of the real human past, where Kumasawa has been a mentor to Yasu.

Or we can try to analyze Bernkastel.

• Rika = Ouka = Hanyu's daughter
  • Rika = Hanyu's piece
  • Bernkastel = Rika
  • Bernkastel = Frederica = part of Rika who born from nothingness
  • Bernkastel = Bern = Featherine's cat
  • Bernkastel = Featherine's piece/daughter
Also, 10 quadrillion Bernkastel's kittens may be a reflection of the fact that Rika was the queen of the carrier of the parasitic virus.

I really do not think that concept with the Hanyuu and Featherine may be too simple and clear.

Hanyuu can forgive the Living Tribunal's sins.

The Everlasting said:
Also, IIRC, Featherine never actually became a Creator, she just reached its realm but only touched the last boundary, not actually becoming one.
There's no such thing as "a Creator". There is only "The Creator". Simply reaching its level means you fade away and become part of it, hence why Featherine only touched it and retained who she was. Still, the memory device keeps her who she is and stops her from just...not being Featherine.

Back