• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extended the encouragement of archiving external websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Editing Rules, I have found this:
Prior to adding external calculation links (likely to justify character statistics), preferably simultaneously back-up the URL link into the Wayback Machine Internet archive and Archive.today. By doing so, if the original post is lost, there will still exist accessible copies, which can be used to update the link accordingly.
If you encounter a dead calculation link, you may find a backup in the above-mentioned archives, which can then be used to appropriately adjust the profile page.
Here, I suggest for changing the rule as such:
Prior to adding external calculation or information links (likely to justify character statistics), preferably simultaneously back-up the URL link into the Wayback Machine Internet archive and Archive.today. By doing so, if the original post is lost, there will still exist accessible copies, which can be used to update the link accordingly.
If you encounter a dead calculation or information link, you may find a backup in the above-mentioned archives, which can then be used to appropriately adjust the profile page.
By the way, I'm unsure if scans links should be archived for copyright reasons. But I personally feel that if we could archive the whole works (which often happens when a work is dead so hard that the original copyright holder may be dissolved)

Last edited:
I think that this seems uncontroversial to apply.

@DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu

Would either of you be willing to handle this please, or should we wait for further staff input first?

The situation with archive.org seems to have improved since last time when they had a lawsuit.

With that said, I'd suggest doing archives on both archive.org and archive.vn, given that archive.org is a lot easier to use in the long run than archive.vn.

Huh. While the change has already been applied, I'd like to mention that this seems fine, yeah.

The situation with archive.org seems to have improved since last time when they had a lawsuit.

With that said, I'd suggest doing archives on both archive.org and archive.vn, given that archive.org is a lot easier to use in the long run than archive.vn.
What is the difference between those two domains?

What is the difference between those two domains?
Basically, Archive.org is a lot more fleshed out, will even tell you if a link has been archived or not, has a dedicated year calendar to show when and how many times it was archived and preserved, and it also holds download links to certain books that are otherwise not available. Some are behind paywalls but some can be accessed for one hour for free (Go wild with that I guess) with a wait period however many times you want. Perhaps it may even contain the source material you wish to read. The archival process is also a lot quicker.

Archive.vn is more complicated about the fact that you have to remember the archived link and from my experience it does not tell you if it has been archived in advance. No catalogues to depend upon either.

Last edited:
Basically, Archive.org is a lot more fleshed out, will even tell you if a link has been archived or not, has a dedicated year calendar to show when and how many times it was archived and preserved, and it also holds download links to certain books that are otherwise not available. Some are behind paywalls but some can be accessed for one hour. Perhaps it may even contain the source material you wish to read. The archival process is also a lot quicker.

Archive.vn is more complicated about the fact that you have to remember the archived link and from my experience it does not tell you if it has been archived in advance. No catalogues to depend upon either.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back