• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Egyptian Mythology Concept Abilities

Alright, so to begin my most noble escapade (I'm joking) in helping the wikia with rating mythological gods, I've had to do my fair share of research. It has come to my attention that deities like Ra and Apophis have a few more abilities than we gave them credit for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_religio

If you scroll down to the area on this page talking about cosmology, it's stated that the Egyptian mythology's conception of the universe is heavily tied to the idea of Ma'at. Ma'at being this concept developed by the Ancient Egyptians that encompasses the concepts of order, law, truth, etc. Ma'at was a very important idea when it came to how the universe worked. Should the order of the Egyptian universe fail the universe would fall into chaos. Ra had been the one who created everything and is actually the only parent of the goddess Ma'at to which the concept is directly tied to. You can say that Ma'at in a way personifies or embodies the concept of Ma'at and therefore embodies the concepts of order, law, truth, justice, and harmony. All of these concepts as I said are responsible in upholding the universe itself. Even time finds itself revolving around the order of the Egyptian universe. I think this gives enough reason to say Ra has the ability to make concepts. As he did indeed create the embodiment of something that in turn encompasses several universal concepts (At least in the myths). Ma'at the goddess was also seen as being responsible for the regulation of stars and seasons, As it says in paragraph 2 under Cosmology, the conception of time is directly tied to Ma'at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat

Now Apophis being the exact opposite of Ra and being the God of Destruction, always seeks to swallow the Sun (Ra) and destroy all he creates. This would include Ma'at as a result, this I think implies Apophis having Concept Destruction as destroying Ma'at would fit the terms of that ability exactly. If you check out Ma'at's link I put in above this paragraph you can find more evidence of order playing a HUGE role in the Egyptian myth and universe. Check out the section "As a principle" and read paragraphs 1-6. These 6 paragraphs help in showcasing just how important the concept of Ma'at was.

https://www.ancient.eu/Ma'at/ The quotes in the link here further back up my previously stated point about Ma'at being a concept encompassing several others. For Ra to have created the goddess that embodies this concept must mean he has some form of Concept Creation/Manipulation. Which in turn would mean Apophis has Concept Destruction in order to destroy the concept that serves as the binding of the universe and its laws.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/eml/eml04.htm I also wanted to point out a feat of Ra. He apparently makes millions of stars by speaking their names into existence. You can find this in P10. You should also know that in Egyptian mythology the number "Million" is seen as infinity hence why Heh is identified as the God of Infinity and Eternity due to his relation to the number million. You could argue that based off this that Ra had made an infinite number of stars. He did this in his old age and therefore when he was weakened mind you. So his reality warping abilities can also be used to create countless stars on the fly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaru He also made the Aaru or the field of Aalu, an area of boundless reeds, the Aaru is basically the Egyptian equivalent of Heaven. It's described as being a boundless place though, befitting of a place where gods and humans interact directly like neighbors. A potential universe sized domain. This says a lot about the Duat which apparently contains the Aaru as another dimension within itself, or perhaps they're separate from one another. The Duat has a river that goes through the same 12 hours it takes Ra to travel the universe on his boat. The river legitamately stretches out from inside Nut into the infinite waters of Nu. Considering how we have Nut as an infinite universe on here, it stands to reason that this river and therefore the Duat would be infinite as well.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/eml/eml04.htm In P13, Ra in his Khepri form is able to cause his fellow gods to also undergo a form of rebirth. Concept Manipulation over Rebirth.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/eml/eml04.htm In P1, Ra is stated to have surpassed his "father" Nu, Nu being the Primordial chaotic waters or watery void from which Ra created himself. This is further elaborated on in the last paragraph of P7, in it Nu himself states that Ra is far greater than he is.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/eml/eml04.htm In P10's last paragraph, Ra single-handedly divided and gave order to the heavens (The Egyptian Universe). This is further backed by the mention of Nut, who is indeed the Egyptian Universe. He also created the Moon (Ah) for Thoth to have power over in P11. Spatial Manipulation, or perhaps a lifting feat, or perhaps a lifting feat via spatial manipulation.

Certainly, I'd appreciate it. Did you find the links good enough for backing up my claim?

I guess I can try that. I figured since the site I got this stuff from has so many references from which it got this information that it would be pretty darn accurate. I'll try and find some more.

I've edited my original post to include yet another source from which I present this argument.

Hopefully the buffs actually get put in, I made another post hoping to include some buffs for Ra. They aren't even giving him his most basic powers.

I believe Ra is finally going to get buffed, I made sure to link a few supporters and what not in case people needed more proof.

What does that mean, I'm sorry I'm a bit new to the wikia. Does it mean original poster?

I'm surprised this didn't attract any more attention.

Sorry for the necro, tho.

Also, Ra's profile should also contain his various mergings with other gods, like Osiris, Horus and Atum.

Btw, found some stuff to support the op.

[Taken from "Middle Egyptian", pg. 176-177, by James P. Allen] The God Ptah, by speaking the name of ideas (which he himself shaped, as the text explicitly tells (though also says that he wasn't the creator; that's something I'll cover later)), created their physical form (which is Atum's Ennead in itself; The Ennead, btw, are the 9 main Egyptian gods that created everything).

Ptah-Conceptual1
Ptah-Conceptual2

Which then brings us to the fact that the Gods themselves are ideas, which shape the physical plane an those changes mantain their existence and will. In "Of God and Gods" [Pg. 13 to 19], Jan Assmann (whose a very knowledgeable egyptologist), explained this nature by a principle in which he calls "the three dimensions of the egyptian belief system".

EgyptGods-Ideas1
EgyptGods-Ideas2
EgyptGods-Ideas3
EgyptGods-Ideas4
EgyptGods-Ideas5
EgyptGods-Ideas6
EgyptGods-Ideas7

And once again, it was Ptah that shaped this ideas into their physical form, which in itself is a reflection as explained above.

But who created those ideas? Who was the one to actually conceive them?

Well... It was Ra. It was also Amun. And it was also Ptah.

For you see, this three combined makes a supreme singular being, as Jan Assmann shows in pg. 64 and 71 of "Of God and Gods" with some egyptian hymns:

OneBeing-ReAmunPtah1
OneBeing-ReAmunPtah2

Here is a couple of scans from "The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt" by Richard Wilkinson [pg. 92 and 94] explaining a bit about Amun and his merging with Ra. (Forgive the fading in the side, don't know why the pdf showed that)

Amun-Re is an omnipresent abstract, being the ba of everything that exists.

Amun-Re1
Amun-Re2

I have also a couple of scans to support Infinite Speed for Ra.

The op also mentions this, but Heh is the God of Infinity, his character being equal to "one million".

Edit: As established above, the glyphs represent the idea of the gods themselves, while the gods represent the physical manifestations of said idea they embody (and are a reflection of).

InfiniteSpeed-Ra1
History of Mathematics, pg. 10

InfiniteSpeed-Ra2
The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, pg. 109

In a hymn, Ra is described as traversing "hundreds of thousands, millions of miles" every brief day.

InfiniteSpeed-Ra3
Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume II, pg. 87

Ra should also have Life and Soul Manipulation: Not only through his merging with Osiris, but according to this, he infuses life into the mummified god when travelling the Duat, the same way a ba and ka is to merge:

Ra-Life&SoulManip1
Middle Egypt, pg. 97

YO! Thank you for the support guys! Let's get the Egyptianverse buffed like it should be!

LephyrTheRevanchist said:
Ra should also have Life and Soul Manipulation: Not only through his merging with Osiris, but according to this, he infuses life into the mummified god when travelling the Duat, the same way a ba and ka is to merge:
Ra-Life&SoulManip1
Middle Egypt, pg. 97
His concept manipulating abilities involve manipulating universal abstracts like time and what not. Not to mention as Atum he's supposedly capable of reducing all that is back to nothingness.

Back