• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread XC

Ovrhide said:
not gonna lie,
2-B canon dragon ball would be hella tight. Who doesnt want that?
I actually don't want them moving into the hax-lord tiers. They're more or less fine where they are.

I want goku to resist as much hax as possible. I don't like the fights that come down to "hax gg" they're boring imo.

Hey! It's at XC! My naming convention of making every ten in roman numerals is still in effect!

I was supposed to be the one making every 10th thread tho :mad:

DTG499 said:
I want goku to resist as much hax as possible. I don't like the fights that come down to "hax gg" they're boring imo.
You should think of things more for the series than you should for the fact that your character would lose fights w/o it. If Goku starts resisting hax, everything in Dragon Ball devolves into "Goku gets overpowered by someone with a big number until Goku unlocks a new form and gets an even bigger number." No strategy. Just numbers battles.

Right from early DB Master Rishi flat out said "the guy who is stronger is the more likely to win" and this guy is a martial art genius and WAS right at the end.

DTG499 said:
Cal. Dragon ball has always and forever will be, the "My number is bigger than yours" series.
That's always been one of DB's biggest criticisms though, ever since like, Mercenary Tao at worst and at best Vegeta. People like DB in spite of the lack of variety, not due to it. The biggest break in the convention has been Buu, and he's been sidelined since his arc ended. Now that's not saying I want some Reinhard level abilities to be thrown around and Goku having to adapt to it, nor am I asking for Dragon Ball to be Jojo or HxH, but I want some level of strategy and variety more than the fourth time someone is impressed by the characters using ki as a sword.

Y'all probably already saw it but the PlagueOfGripes DBG#2 describes what I'm thinking of best.

Ionliosite said:
Tbf, no one had used ki as swords in canon before Black and Zamas did.
Vegito's been doing it since back in the Buu Saga. If you count movies, Salza used it back in Cooler's Revenge.

Black and Zamasu then did it, and it was a big hype.

Then that one Pride Trooper used it and people were still impressed.

Vegito's been doing it since back in the Buu Saga. If you count movies, Salza used it back in Cooler's Revenge.

Vegetto didn't actually use it as a sword, but he indeed he shaped it like one, so half point. Also, I said in canon, because Salza indeed did.

Snip! Y'all probably already saw it but the PlagueOfGripes DBG#2 describes what I'm thinking of best.

You see, I was hoping for a change of pace with Moro due to his magic early on, but now are back to " I scream louder than you and raise my ki higher"

As you said, DB will never be Jojo or HxH level of depth and complexity in battles and strategy, but man it would be cool to have a major character like Hit ever once in awhile.

I was actually enjoying 7-3 before Moro and his dog showed up and turned the show boring again. Toyotarou's shitty pages layout doesn't help either.

ZERO7772 said:
Snip!
Y'all probably already saw it but the PlagueOfGripes DBG#2 describes what I'm thinking of best.
You see, I was hoping for a change of pace with Moro due to his magic early on, but now are back to " I scream louder than you and raise my ki higher"
As you said, DB will never be Jojo or HxH level of depth and complexity in battles and strategy, but man it would be cool to have a major character like Hit ever once in awhile.

I was actually enjoying 7-3 before Moro and his dog showed up and turned the show boring again. Toyotarou's shitty pages layout doesn't help either.

i have a feeling 7-3 will play an important role. dont rule him out yet

Btw, I saw no one mentions this, but apparently Goku can now dodge Moro's absorption because he's FAST? Anyone? ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

Last time I checked Moro absorb energy passively, AoE, by just standing there, how do you "dodge" that? Toyo made it seems like Moro needs to lock-on Goku before he absorbs his power.

This is so stupid it's hilarious. Peak DB logic truly (┬¼ÔÇ┐┬¼)

ZERO7772 said:
Btw, I saw no one mentions this, but apparently Goku can now dodge Moro's absorption because he's FAST? Anyone? ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

Last time I checked Moro absorb energy passively, AoE, by just standing there, how do you "dodge" that? Toyo made it seems like Moro needs to lock-on Goku before he absorbs his power.

This is so stupid it's hilarious. Peak DB logic truly (┬¼ÔÇ┐┬¼)
Exactly, it was portrayed as some sort of passive AoE attack

>PlagueOfGripes

You're supposed to convince me of your arguments, not disprove them yourself

Also, I met people who don't really care about the non strategy in the fights and don't mind it, if you want more of those you can probably find other series

Like I said, it's in spite of the lack of it. I can easily find people who like DB's straightforward combat. Heck, I like it, lest I wouldn't be on this thread, nor would I have made like, seven DB discussion threads. But because I like it doesn't mean I can't point out flaws. And Goku just powering up through every obstacle is a major one. Ultra Instinct Omen (not Mastered) and the final fight we're both steps in the right direction, as well as everything involving Roshi and most things with 17. But nothing is gained because you got stronger. A power gap isn't an obstacle. It's a bar. I'd enjoy far more if Goku did things like outsmarting his opponents or exploiting weaknesses than "He's so strong he broke out of timestop or black holes. Bergamo, if he wasn't such a joke, would've been a perfect example. You can't hurt him because of how his body works? They didn't have Goku power up so much that he surpassed the dimension. They acknowledged that Goku couldn't do jack so Goku just yeeted him out of the arena.

I don't think it's in spite of it I think it's because of it. I personally like the simple straight forward power increase, getting over that next bar is why I have remained committed to watching dragon ball for 10+ years. Of battles become more of the strategic route it must be an added flavor to overcoming a power gap. I enjoy goku overpower hax through AP, I find it very assuming and comedic. That's at least how I and the people I've talk to about it see the series. Lol I also completely forgot about that bear.

I mean Dragon Ball has never been that kind of series, ever, and it's worked out pretty damn well and is one of the most successful pieces of media ever made. That tells me people like it for what it is, myself included.

As a HxH and JoJo fan I know how ******* great complex power systems and strategy are for a battle manga. Then again comparing DB to the best two battle systems ever conceived is unfair lol. Anyway what I'm trying to say is even though I've experienced such greatness, it never replaced DB for me or made my love for it waver, because it never tried to be that sort of show. As much as it's been imitated over the decades, DB still has a unique charm and enjoyment that no other series can provide imo. If you want something else, then just go find that thing that suits you more. DB is what it is, and it always will be. That's how I feel about it.

That being said, would I love some BIG BRAIN tactics and more hax that is overcome through strategy rather than punching through it? Hell yes, I would love it! But it's not what I'm waiting for to start enjoying DB, and I won't hold my breath. It'd be more of an unexpected, sweet, cherry on top of one of my favorite cakes.

And btw my favorite moment in the ToP is when Goku used mines and IT to almost outsmart Jiren into a ringout, so trust me I appreciate strategy as well but it's not what kept me coming back to DB for 10+ years.

Back