• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's canon but if there are more like the yamch manga thing then they may make them a composite profile eventually.

This of course not canon. Its fan fiction, but yes published in Shueisha's Shōnen Jump Plu digital manga magazine, and called as Dragon Ball Side Story (Gaiden)

My prediction is that Jiren stomps SSBKKx20 Goku. Goku briefly gets his new form, but then passes out or something that prevents him from fighting Jiren, prolonging the true final fight for later.

Dimas.pet said:
I don't know if it's canon but if there are more like the yamch manga thing then they may make them a composite profile eventually.

This of course not canon. Its fan fiction, but yes published in Shueisha's Shōnen Jump Plu digital manga magazine.
Not fan fiction it was a official release from the dragon ball room

@Ryu Either that, or that Goku overpowers Jiren for a bit, but he can't quite control the form yet and passes out.

Darkmon cns said:
Dimas.pet said:

This of course not canon. Its fan fiction, but yes published in Shueisha's Shōnen Jump Plu digital manga magazine.
Not fan fiction it was a official release.
It's basically official fanfiction.

I'm glad the final fight hasn't actually come yet. There's still so much stuff with Hit, Caulifla, Cale, U3, The 2 new Namekians, etc. to resolve.

Ryukama said:
I'm glad the final fight hasn't actually come yet. There's still so much stuff with Hit, Caulifla, Cale, U3, The 2 new Namekians, etc. to resolve.
I still don't think Goku vs Jiren is gonna be the last fight of the arc tbh.

It's basically official fanfiction.

Yes, but not canon to the original dragon ball (db-dbz manga, anime-super). In any case, I understand it like this. Same Shin budokai non canon to original, but can be used for the "enhanced/expanded" version

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I still don't think Goku vs Jiren is gonna be the last fight of the arc tbh.
Okay but regardless I'm glad the final fight isn't getting rushed.

I agree 100%. That would have been real bad planning for that. It would crush the suspense and hype too early on.

Just something that popped into my head but I personally think it would be cool if Jiren isn't the mortal stronger than the Gods of Destruction, but the twist is that Goku in his "Limit Breaker" form is actually the mortal and Whis foresaw this or something like that.

@Dust That would mean that Beerus is the GoD that's stronger than Beerus and he beat himself in an arm wrestling contest...

The mortal isn't from U7, even if that would be a neat twist. Though I could picture some sort of twist where the mortal is like invisible therefore the GoD "can't beat" him. Or that the mortal can't be beaten by a GoD...in a game of checkers. Wouldn't want something like that to happen but I can see it.

Ryukama said:
@Dust That would mean that Beerus is the GoD that's stronger than Beerus and he beat himself in an arm wrestling contest...
Oh right, I completely forgot that detail whoops. Anyway, is the 1 hour special this week or next week?

Well. Just wanted to say that Im missing touching moments in Super compared to GT. Maybe because I watched GT as a kid, but I remember Goku's first ssj4 transformation to be a dramatic and amazing thing. Yes, in super we also have dark stuff and dramatic stuff (Goku black mainly), but I feel there is no emotional moment except for Roshi's.

Well, that's it. No dissing or anything, just my feelings,Im not arguing.

I agree there, ssj4 and the omega fight onwards was some of the best dbz media in general.

GT may have started out bad enough but the ending was sure as hell probably one of the best they could of done.

Hit The Badass said:
Dragon ball franchise was never meant to be emotional......just saying

I kind of beg to differ. The franchise has a good deal of emotional scenes. And if you watch DB/DBZ anime in Japanese, the actors really flush out their emotions, and the Japanese soundtrack also often tried to draw out the emotions and the feel of the scene.

PaChi2 said:
Well. Just wanted to say that Im missing touching moments in Super compared to GT. Maybe because I watched GT as a kid, but I remember Goku's first ssj4 transformation to be a dramatic and amazing thing. Yes, in super we also have dark stuff and dramatic stuff (Goku black mainly), but I feel there is no emotional moment except for Roshi's.
Well, that's it. No dissing or anything, just my feelings,Im not arguing.

You don't think Gohan reacting to Obuni having a family, or Future Trunks watching his mom die are emotional?

MeleeniumRXJ said:
You don't think Gohan reacting to Obuni having a family, or Future Trunks watching his mom die are emotional?
I also thought Goku realizing Zamasu killed him and his family was a pretty intense emotional moment.

Plus I like that Gohan reacting to Obuni was pretty subtle and didn't have a lot of dialogue or them spelling out what was happening to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aDcWucKFjA

I love this scene. A normally super oblivious and careless guy having a face/demenour that really shows a feeling of regret and "I ****** up". Pretty small, minor scene but I think it does a great job at showing Goku, Piccolo and Gohan's characters along with the relationship they each have with one another.

Ryukama said:
Plus I like that Gohan reacting to Obuni was pretty subtle and didn't have a lot of dialogue or them spelling out what was happening to you.
I've always felt that Dragon Ball is actually quite good at using subtlety for emotional scenes, which is more than what I can say for a lot of other fictions. Especially other animes. A lot of emotional scenes of many other animes come across as a bit forced.

I also think Dragon Ball is good at making scenes feel emotional without it being a sad or tramatic scene. Case in point, Piccolo fusing with Nail. After the fusion is complete, the scene really conveys that Piccolo is feeling something very profound and enlightening. His sensation clearly wasn't just "I feel stronger". It's more like he had a spiritual awakening. And I feel like the original Japanese scorn really draws it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TdLVREFy7Q

Dragon Ball may not be a brilliantly written masterpiece but it's a lot better than some people give credit for IMO

Christ, the old dub is bad, it borders into so bad it's hilarious.

At least the Kai dub sticks to the script and the voice actors haves solid 10+ more years of experience.

Ah come on, me and ya both know it aint the best, look at piccolo at the end there and his not so subtle jokes.

It's in the so bad it's good category though.

@Ryu and Meleenium

Imo (I respect your opinions, of course, this is just my opinion) the chichi-goten thing was kind of unexpected, iirc goku didnt get mad at buu when he exterminated everyone on Earth (including chichi and bulma and krillin) and also these were a goten and chichi he never interacted with.

And... the obuni part was cool in this regard, but not really touching as the nature of the ToP forces those situations. They could reveal that everyone has a family, give them backstories so that we empathize with them. I'd love that. Too many characters for that, tho.

Well wouldn't the incident with Buu be the "out of nowhere thing" when it's been shown he does care for these friends and family getting hurt yet suddenly didn't when Buu destroyed Earth then? Not the Zamasu scene? Regardless if it's arguably out of character, I still felt it was a very intense and emotional moment. Also Goku didn't directly interact with those versions but they are for all intents and purposes the same Chi Chi and Goten with the same personalities/experiences. For someone to brutally murder them, especially using his own body to do so, makes perfect sense for Goku to be angry over.

Umm that's the point. The ToP is an atrocious event that makes innocent people get killed or indirectly kill other innocent people. I don't see how the "nature of the ToP forcing such situations" somehow makes it not as sad. Maybe other people didn't get as fleshed out or have a moment of sympathy for them, though the implication is abundantly clear. And the main part I liked wasn't necessarily them trying to get sympathy for Obuni rather Gohan's realization that a man who had a loving wife and baby just like him was killed, with him being an indirect cause.

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
Ah come on, me and ya both know it aint the best, look at piccolo at the end there and his not so subtle jokes.
It's in the so bad it's good category though.

That joke was bad, I agree. But overall, the original dub is really not that bad. I would actually say it's overall good but with noticeable flaws, with more of the flaws being around the earlier episodes when the Funimation actors were still new. There's A LOT worse out there. I also think Kai is worse at certain points (not saying it's worse overall).

Being better than trash doesn't you're good.

Yeah there is a lot worse (even for dbz dubs, see big green dub, that shit is so bad I actually laugh whenever I watch it, actually, begetur and legendary space warrior broly are highlights) but the old dub is still kinda bad, rewritten script, acting is questionable and didn't that sound that natural. Newer dubs like the funimation Kai correct all those mistakes though, my favorite dub by far outside of gohan and 18, everything else is way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back