• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball GT/Filler/Movie speed downgrade

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Ant advised me to make a thread about this a long time ago.

This was something that was on my mind for a long while. There is literally no reason that the speed upgrade of MILLIONS isn't regarded as an outlier. We use the high end of said calc, which is in the hundreds of millions. Mind you. Literally days before, Goku PUSHING HIMSELF was Relativistic. Not even Rel+. Lightspeed Haku is a lesser gap. And this is prior to Super Saiyan. There's no reason for it. We've regarded less as outliers. And the reason for it is "there's other speed feats to justify it." False.

The other speed feats. The first one is the Ginyu Force. It comes from "But they can sense their FTL ships, but they can't sense the force themselves!" No. I can see a plane in the sky. Does that mean if one was charging at me from a few meters away, I can dodge it? Also, sensing, not only in DB, but fiction in general, is wacky. i.e. Humans sensing people Cell and upwards.

Second thing. "But Bojack and Broly!" I can think of several reasons why this is wrong, and this finally gives me the chance to call for the movies not being canon to the Toeiverse. Because many of them do not fit into the story at all. Granted, these specific two do, but they're still movies. Just because you CAN tie something in doesn't mean it's tied in, especially considering everything before doesn't fit at all. And after too, like Wrath of the Dragon. Tapion's sword, anyone? This is the exact same thing we did when we regarded Kai as primary canon, and we're making the same mistake again. Xenoverse 2 gives us an explanation on how Bardock came to the past. Therefore XV and XV2 are canon and everyone Trunks' level and above becomes High 3-A! See what happens there? The only think that supports a connection is a 1 second cameo from Cooler in GT, and Baby being based off an idea from an anime adaptation of a choose your own adventure game which had Slug, Cooler, and Turles in it. Secondly, there's a reason Broly is possibly 4-A. That feat in general is inconsistent af. Granted, Bojack is legitimate. But this is so far after Namek Saga that it doesn't justify. SSJ TWO was unlocked by then. And it's still a slower feat.

Final thing. "But GT has some feats near that level!" Syn Shenron might. I'm not certain. But something that happens when Goku is 50 justifies something that happened when Goku was 25? I don't think so.

Frankly, the characters should be set to what they were at prior.

""But they can sense their FTL ships, but they can't sense the force themselves!" No. I can see a plane in the sky. Does that mean if one was charging at me from a few meters away, I can dodge it?"

Seeing a 200 foot plane a mile up in the sky is much easier than feeling (That is what chi sensing is, chi "seeing" is phsyically feeling the speed) a 1 meter wide space pod several AU away.

So they're using something better than seeing? Kinda helps my case. Not to mention that there's five of them with some difference between the ships.

Plus isnt sensing in general not a good justification for having a certain reaction when both are totally different? It would be like saying for example Toph can sense the flash moving because of her Sismic Sense.

I would appreciate more staff input within this thread.

I agree with what Cal has presented here. I'd like more staff input first before I give my own.

I actually don't consider DBZ movies very different than the manga/anime ones, in my opinion they should have matching stats. But yeah, I agree with OP, they at least should match in speed, the speed "feats" there were made outscreen and are mostly unknown.

"Mind you. Literally days before, Goku PUSHING HIMSELF was Relativistic. Not even Rel+."

Well the canon calc of the moon feat (Where the Speed comes from) is not applicable for non-canon, since the non-canon version of the feat is done in a significantly smaller time frame.

"So they're using something better than seeing? Kinda helps my case. Not to mention that there's five of them with some difference between the ships."

Actually the method used to detect doesn't really matter. To perceive something is dependent on the distance between the perceiver and the object, as well as the object's speed I believe, ie how humans see Mach 1 jets in the air. However, MFTL+ (Of this degree) objects, even by the minimum of MFTL+ shouldn't be able to perceive it, the gap is far too big.

"Snip on the Broly and Bojack thing"

This a very inaccurate comparison, we don't tie it in simply because "It can", we tie it in because Toei-canon already has movie villains in it. Ie Garlic Jr., Cooler, and etc. That's also ignoring the very basic fact that Toei created the movies as well as the anime. If we wanna use this as an argument, then what makes the Piccolo Jr. Saga canon to the rest of DB?

"Final thing. "But GT has some feats near that level!" Syn Shenron might. I'm not certain. But something that happens when Goku is 50 justifies something that happened when Goku was 25? I don't think so."

It does when 50 year old Goku says he is fighting characters equal to Majin Buu, or when he literally fights Frieza and Cell in GT again with much less, but still some level of difficulty (mainly the fact that they're dead, but that's more of a problem to his AP and Dura, they can still react and fight him.

@Antonio Most of the outside feats still happened with a presentable timespan, even if they occurred off screen. It would be like rating a Multi-Planet destroying final boss as "Unknown" because we didn't see it.

Something about 7 x FTL isn't justifying 300000000 x FTL

False. That's a matter of range, which everyone in their mother in DB has planetary range.

False again. We tie it in because it can. Dead Zone ORIGINAL doesn't fit. Piccolo didn't know who Gohan was at the time. Neither did Krillin. And again, a literal one second cameo doesn't justify it. Toei also created the TorikoXOne PieceXDragon Ball crossover. Doesn't make that canon. Marvel created way too many AU's to count. The argument you made there is moot.

You're using Goku low-diffing Frieza and Cell while being 4-A to justify that?

There is also the fact that Saiyan Saga Goku =/= Namek Saga Goku. Unless you want to argue that SSJG Goku isn't justified with his ratings as well.

Eh, what? Unless you want to also argue that normal people have 1 km range due to being able to perceive planes, I suggest that you re-arrange that, although I think that's what you mean, Idk what you're really saying (Assuming you mean perceiving is dependent on range)

No, we don't. Of course, I could bring out Marvel's notorious list of plot holes as well, which would prove by this logic that most of the verse is non-canon. About the cameo part, it kind of does. Unless you're trying to say that there is a character in GT that looks like Cooler, goes to Hell like Cooler, has a hate like Cooler against the DB characters, but is not Cooler. Or, because Beerus only appeared for a few seconds in a flashback of Vegeta's past, that his flashback didn't actually happen.Ah, I see, so Piccolo Jr. Saga, based on your logic, is it canon or non-canon to the rest of DB? Marvel explicitly states that most of these are AUs. The crossover doesn't even tie in with the respective series.

Yes? The fact that can even react to a desperate Goku showcases that they are at least to some degree able to move along his level.

No offense, but that was a terrible comparison. With you logic, I could say that RtD!Kirby=/= SS!Kirby and that justifies his 3-A rating.

Sensing=/=seeing, as Fan pointed out. Look at King Kai's profile. He has universal range with sensing.

My logic has nothing to do with sagas that are very clearly canon. Toriyama's original work? Check. Fits into the storyline? Check. Has an influence on the rest of the story? Check. So other than Garlic Jr, does ANY DB Movie fit both of the last two categories that aren't off of each other. i.e. Cooler 1 and Cooler 2. And I guess Arale's famous enough to have her own poster in Dragon Ball? Your attempt to justify a literal second isn't a good one. And you basically gave me this argument with that last thing, because it's hypocritical. Just like that crossover, most of the DB movies don't tie into the rest of the series.

Again. You're justifying people who are 4-C and 4-B (baseline at that) reacting to someone well into 4-A. Not to mention that with your logic, since the movies are canon, that a GT Goku had to show some difficulty to beat Frieza when Buu Saga Base Gohan effortlessly disintegrated Frieza with one punch to impress Videl.

I agree with what you're saying, most feats like that are very badly implied, and don't corrolate at all with the canon or heck even in the stories themselves, I use Broly as the best example of this since he'd have to be pretty dang fast to be able to destroy a large portion of the galaxy over a time period of what... 30 years or so? If he was that fast he'd be fighting and moving comprabale to probably far higher than Buu saga level characters, yet Goku and friends were still able to fight and even defeat Broly, and this was before SSJ2 was even addressed wasn't it? So there's no reason that they should scale to Broly speed wise because that completely overturns the canon on its ass.

RtD Kirby isn't SS Kirby? As in, he trained, got a new form or something? Was he displayed as superior?

Via a special ability. Though, not sure how this matters? This is about speed, not range?

Marvel's/ Toei's original work? Check. Fits into the storyline? Not always. Rarely even, other times no one even remembers. Again, most of Marvel is non-canon by this logic. Your attempt to disqualify an appearance by time is interesting to say the least. Heck even some parts of DB are disqualified from being canon with this argument. Is the RR Army Arc non-canon? Is RoF non-canon? What argument is hypocritical? But if you want to argue hypocrisy, why is it that most Kirby game feats are in Kirby's profile, even if it's not always created by the same creator, doesn't necessarily fit with the story, or even have relevance later on.

Ap in this case has literally no importance. I'm talking about the speed aspect, not AP.

@Kyo your Broly example only works when you mix continuities. This is only for non-canon. Also, mind deleting your fandom joke? It would be a shame to have to warn you or block you for breaking a rule about talking bad about fandoms.

What? Goku was incapacitated like a day before. He didn't train almost at all before the speed feat happened. No SS. No KK. Maybe 1 zenkai.

Not talking about Marvel. I'm talking about Toriverse and Toeiverse. RR Army arc is very clearly referenced. Androids, anyone? RoF is very clearly referenced. Frost and SSJB anyone? And unlike those linear storylines (not all fiction is linear, but DB (and most Shounen) is), Kirby has no set canon.

No. It does have relevance because it's an inconsistency nonetheless. A Petey Piranha isn't MFTL+ and High 4-C for keeping up with Mario. Whispy Woods isn't MFTL+ and 4-A for keeping up with Kirby. Gohma isn't MHS+ and 5-B for keeping up with Link.

And as I put in the OP. We could just as easily upgrade Haku to Lightspeed if we continue this.

We could upgrade everyone who is SSJ2 level and up to 3-A to High 3-A.

I'm pretty sure the feat happened near the end of the training, though I can't say, so by any chance do you have a link of the event in the timeline?

Yet you bring Haku and Kirby as examples as well, so don't just ignore Marvel as an example. Frost isn't a reference? Hmm, well there are more examples when it comes to relevance, Marvel, DC, Metroid Prime, most Zelda games, Most Yugioh anime, etc.

An inconsistency is only that when it actually is inconsistent, considering DB speed has no big boosts between the Frieza saga and the Baby Saga, the fact that they can barely react has to be shown to be inconsistent, like, I don't know, it showing that Pan is faster than Frieza and Cell or something.

Also, what are your suggested stats? We kinda need those in a content revision thread.

@Aizen hmm I see, then I'm going to be inconclusive about this.

@Rad I believe it was 3.

Marvel isn't incredibly linear ether. Neither is DC. And Frost is tying in RoF. You were the one claiming he's not because of your claim that RoF didn't affect much. Also, why are you naming all of those fictions?

I really don't see how you aren't finding this inconsistent. FRIEZA is fighting an incredibly late game GT Goku. Frieza is FODDER by this point.

It would just set them to the enemies they were fighting. I.E. Janemba to MFTL for fighting SSJ3 Goku. Turles to Sub-Rel.

EDIT: Ninja'd by several people.

LordAizenSama said:
This is the feat the majority are scaled off of (yes seriously,that gag scene) and the same scene where Goku glued his shoe to the ship and got stuck. Full of PIS.

Agree with the OP.
^This. I even said that in the calc: the glue, the meteorite, even the supposed weakness to heat was there; also, there's no set speed in that ship.

Just going to respond because while I'm starting to agree with the downgrade, I heavily disagree for your reasons.

Linearity doesn't matter when they're just plain inconsistent.

Ap and Dura wise yes, but looking at our profiles, there isn't any notable non-canon jumps in speed.

Well the removal of this calc would only make us forced to scale based on Broly / Bojack's speed, so M8 and above would simply be MFTL+, everyone below would be in between Piccolo's Non-canon moon feat (Which needs to be calc) and the Broly feat.

(Of course, if there is another MFTL+ feat in the Namek Saga then that'll just be added)

Basically, I agree that the calc is wrong because of Aizen's info, but don't agree with your reasoning. If we use your reasoning, then I believe someone else would eventually come back with my arguments and this would start all over again, so I'm trying to debunk you now to save time.

By this point I could care less as long as 1, we're cool and 2, the outlier is implemented as that.

1. No, we've become enemies for life and I will now proceed to selectively downgrade each and every one your favorite verses despite having no prior experience with them.

I'm kidding by the way. OVO

2.K, I would just add Aizen's reasoning to the OP. Of course, now the scaling part starts....

@joesph I would assume it's because we never gave note to its context (Personally I'm still saying we shouldn't use it because it's a gag feat. Outlier is another discussion altogether)

SomebodyData said:
@joesph I would assume it's because we never gave note to its context (Personally I'm still saying we shouldn't use it because it's a gag feat. Outlier is another discussion altogether)
I see. Thanks for explaining

iirc this would only affect the movie characters, since a lot of GT villains can be comparable to syn shenron, who was stated to destroy a galaxy soon after his birth (and syn is Multi solar system level, so he would definitely need MFTL+ speeds to destroy a galaxy quickly)

I don't believe sensing and reactions are the same. After all, it's still up to the person to be capable of dodging it. I agree with this for the movie characters. Not to sure about the GT characters, though.....

And what about the case of King Kai unable to follow the fight between SSj Goku and 100% Frieza?

The same King Kai that could easily follow and track advance spaceships at full speed, couldn't be able to see what was going on in the fight between Goku and Frieza.

Hmmm, that is true...

Though we would likely need another calc on that level if the verse is to stay the same...

SomebodyData said:
Hmmm, that is true...
Though we would likely need another calc on that level if the verse is to stay the same...
you mean just the movie villains right? becuz syn shenron and other higher tier dbgt characters shud ot be affected by this change

Back