• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does knowledge on the opponent that's fictional in their verse count as prior knowledge in a versus match against them?

I've seen matches where people argue that since they already faced or have seen what a character is capable of from their verse. SBA shouldn't negate this knowledge. For example, If Danny Phantom came to life in the real world, I and many others would naturally know his history and abilities because I already have watched the series. It's prior knowledge yes but it's not the same as giving a character knowledge of someone

"The characters know the direction their opponent(s) start in. Furthermore, they get knowledge of the character's appearance, equivalent to the knowledge they could have gained if they would have been allowed to briefly observe the form opponent(s) starting in using their senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch (or equivalent). It's assumed that they only get the information necessary to identify the opponent(s), so abilities like Information Analysis can not be used based on this knowledge. Negative effects of the observation, such as those caused by Madness Manipulation Type 3, are assumed to not apply for this knowledge either. Aside from this, the characters have no knowledge of each other."

This section from the Standard Battle Assumptions page I believe is for characters who naturally don't have knowledge on the opponent. We give them a basic description because naturally they don't have one. But in matches I've seen with characters who do know each other do to past experiences, their knowledge is not restricted and is valid, so I don't think a character having prior knowledge on a fictional character from their verse would be considered invalid by Standard Battle Assumptions but those are just my thoughts, I don't know if this has been discussed before so this isn't a fact.

I've seen matches where people argue that since they already faced or have seen what a character is capable of from their verse. SBA shouldn't negate this knowledge. For example, If Danny Phantom came to life in the real world, I and many others would naturally know his history and abilities because I already have watched the series. It's prior knowledge yes but it's not the same as giving a character knowledge of someone

"The characters know the direction their opponent(s) start in. Furthermore, they get knowledge of the character's appearance, equivalent to the knowledge they could have gained if they would have been allowed to briefly observe the form opponent(s) starting in using their senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch (or equivalent). It's assumed that they only get the information necessary to identify the opponent(s), so abilities like Information Analysis can not be used based on this knowledge. Negative effects of the observation, such as those caused by Madness Manipulation Type 3, are assumed to not apply for this knowledge either. Aside from this, the characters have no knowledge of each other."

This section from the Standard Battle Assumptions page I believe is for characters who naturally don't have knowledge on the opponent. We give them a basic description because naturally they don't have one. But in matches I've seen with characters who do know each other do to past experiences, their knowledge is not restricted and is valid, so I don't think a character having prior knowledge on a fictional character from their verse would be considered invalid by Standard Battle Assumptions but those are just my thoughts, I don't know if this has been discussed before so this isn't a fact.
Thank you for your thoughts.

In my Composite Human tournament, @Keeweed was the one that brought this topic up and said it was from staff.

Like, even though the character in question is from a verse that's fictional in the opponent's verse, and the opponent knows the character, what's going to happen?

If your favorite character suddenly appeared in-front of you, or Walter White decided to fight an IRL athlete that watched BB for example. Is the fictional knowledge going to drastically effect how they fight? Even when knowledge on the opponent that's fictional in their verse doesn't count as prior knowledge in a match against them?

Back