• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discworld's Luggage revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
So, Discworld profiles who aren't tier 2 are bad in general, but I just want to revise at least this one. So let's revise The Luggage.

Speed upgrade
So, I basically think that its speed should be Immeasurable, and here's why:

First, it outran (fly?) Astfgl across time without any special abilities.

"Astfgl surfed across the entropy slope, an angry red spark against the swirls of interspace. He was so angry now that the last vestiges of self-control were slipping away; his jaunty cap with its stylish hornlets had become a mere wisp of crimson dangling from the tip of one of the great coiled ramshorns that framed his skull.

With a rather sensuous ripping noise the red silk across his back tore open and his wings unfolded.

They are conventionally represented as leathery, but leather wouldn’t survive more than a few seconds in that environment. Besides, it doesn’t fold up very well.

These wings were made of magnetism and shaped space, and spread out until they were a faint curtain against the incandescent firmament and they beat as slowly and inexorably as the rise of civilizations.

They still looked batlike, but that was just for the sake of tradition.

Somewhere around the 29th millennium he was overtaken, quite without noticing, by something small and oblong and probably even angrier than he was."

Ran "twice the length of the space-time continuum"

"There was no way to describe how angry you can get running nearly twice the length of the space-time continuum, and the Luggage had been pretty annoyed to start with.

It looked at the hinges. It looked at the locks. It backed away a bit and appeared to read the new sign over the portal.

Possibly this made it angrier, although with the Luggage there wasn’t any reliable way of telling because it spent all its time beyond, in a manner of speaking, the hostility event horizon.

The doors of Hell were ancient. It wasn’t just time and heat that had baked their wood to something like black granite. They’d picked up fear and dull evil. They were more than mere things to fill a hole in the wall. They were bright enough to be dimly aware of what their future was likely to hole.

They watched the Luggage shuffle back across the sand, flex its legs and crouch down.

The lock clicked. The bolts dragged themselves back hurriedly. The great bars jerked from their sockets. The doors flung themselves back against the wall.

The Luggage untensed. It straightened. It stepped forward. It almost strutted. It passed between the straining hinges and, when it was nearly through, turned and gave the nearest door a damn good kick."

And is considered to be able to follow its owner anywhere in space and time

"Sapient pearwood is meta-magical and will track its owner absolutely anywhere in time and space,' said Ponder."

Since these instances never were treated as anything special, it should be Immeasurable in speed.

P&A corrections
This thing is a mess from A to Z. Here are all the changes to do:

-Change strength and dura to Superhuman Physicals Characteristics

-Sensivity to Extrasensory Perception, including the fact that it always follow its owner and knows when others mean harm to them.

-Magical Enhancements should just be removed.

-His resistances are weak, vague and without justifications. They should be "Resistance to Magic, including [insert shit ton of hax]" based on it being Sapient Pearwood

"Sapient pearwood. A plant so magical that it has nearly died out on the Disc and survives in only one or two places outside the Agatean Empire, where it is still quite common; it is a magical equivalent of Rosebay Willowherb, a plant that traditionally colonises bomb sites and areas devastated by fire. Sapient pearwood, in a similar way, sprouts in areas that have seen vast expenditures of magic. It owes its origins to the Mage Wars; this has left it ingrained with a bad temper. It is totally impervious to all forms of magic.

It is traditionally used to make wizards’staffs, and many of these still survive. But since no trees are now found within 500 miles of Unseen University, most modern staffs are made of oak or ash.

The Luggage is made of it. Be warned"

-"Multidimensionnal insides" should be Pocket Reality + BFR/Absorption, since it frequently eats the other to beat it.

-Get Time Travel for the speed reasons.

-Idk for the immortalities? Like The Luggage should get Inorganic Physiology, but I don't know how immortalities apply to objects.

-Possible Social Influencing, because of its "stare" described on his profile and freaking the hell out of everyone in general.

Intelligence change

There's no reasonning to support Below Average.
I think that "Average, but often influenced by its desire to follow its owner and its agressivity" would be better.

Conclusion
To resume:

-Immeasurable speed

-P&A changed for everything

-Intelligence upgrade to Average.

Oh wow I was literally going to make a discworld revision about luggage, huh.

The "immeasurable" feat is one I thought about before but nah, the only reason it's called "the space time continuum" and not "the spatial universe" is because he is literally taking so long references to crossing some large amount of time as well as space is necessary (he is starting his journey at the beginning of time). After all it's just a joke about luggage's persistence and the race clearly follows linear time based on how the 29th millennium was referenced. He is stated to be slower than a horse (just a bit above 50% of its speed) in the colour of magic so his current rating for travelling speed is probably fine, although he might have Peak Human/ Subsonic reactions since he fought Cohen who is above basically every regular character in the series speed wise (and subsonic feats come from numerous characters including wizards and witches being stated to move so fast they are just a blur, one of someone being able to steal a horse while it was running as well as Bill Door's harvesting feat which might do with calculation).

A feat for his resistances is literally getting all the magic of the embodiment of wizardry blow up in his face and be completely unaffected as well as surviving fine in an area of high background magic. Oh and he think he also survived something in the colour of magic comparable to the mage wars.

To give people an idea of magic in discworld:

Physics Manipulation (done oh so frequently), Creation (also done a fair bit, when wizard magic is explained the example usually involves the idea that wizard magic can’t create an object permanently but it can do so briefly), Heat Manipulation (wizards usually fight with either fireballs, octatrine energy or by melting shit), Time BFR (Eskarina and The Librarian can kinda do this), Pocket Reality Manipulation (Maligree's wonderful garden does this),Empathic Manipulation, Fear Manipulation, Fusionism, Power Nullification (wizard’s barriers nullify attacks/spells and some magic can be used to create a magic dampening field), Portal Creation, Sound Manipulation, Spatial Transduality (there are 3 examples of this throughout the series but two are kind of special magic users, Coin and The Creator of XXXX, but it is stated that magical creatures can work with the illusion of space/ duality between different distances or perspectives and carry something they are being contained in), Telekinesis, Transmutation (wizards can alter someone’s mind to reprogram their morphic field and references to their ability to turn other people into baleful creatures is pretty common, especially in explanations of how wizard magic works), Mind Manipulation, Time Manipulation (witches have manipulated time on three occasions I think),Telepathy, Precognition, Fate Manipulation (Ipslore the Red could call on Fate, who is fate across an infinite multiverse, to decide his son’s destiny), Elemental Manipulation, Energy Projection, Biological Manipulation (“high level magic does strange things to the genes”), Information Manipulation (magic books are given sentience and form L-Space via warping spacetime by the information they possess), BFR (wizards can switch places with another person, although if the mass is uneven one of them will get catapulted via elastic string theory and one sorcerer was able to place a curse on some shopkeepers which made their shops forever travel to different dimensions), Plant Manipulation, Quantum Manipulation (wizard magic literally works on its own quantum principles), Curse Manipulation, Causality Manipulation (witches can just ignore cause and effect if they like), Probability Manipulation (all wizards passively manipulate probability to some level and the aforementioned curse caused the shop to become "a contingent incongruity" before returning to probability at the right place), Forcefield Manipulation. The background magic he was on had some type of Conceptual Manipulation (space, time and matter lost all meaning and started wearing each other’s clothes, background magic can augment the abstract/ a spatio temporal axis the universe operates on which defines actuality and if bent so far can lead to the universe being plunged into the dungeon dimensions), Light Manipulation (background magic is what caused disc light to be wonky), Reality Warping (reality is stated to be warped passively in the presence of high background magic, as such that every 2 seconds one thing turns into another thing), Higher Dimensional Manipulation (background magic in a fight between some Sourcery empowered wizards and the aforementioned embodiment of magic warped a statue so that it became a weird sugar structure built in 5 dimensions, and of course created Luggage himself who is frequently said to possess higher dimensional insides), Spatial Manipulation (The mage wars caused space to be twisted in a knot, the area wizards had previously messed with in the hogfather caused space to be added so walking up one stair would move you down two others)
The embodiment of wizard magic brought up prior also had passive Absorption, Possession, Attack Reflection, Body Puppetry and Resistance Negation

I can edit some scans for all of this later (can't atm since I'm in school although they should be relatively easy to find and are decently recognisable by supporters anyway)

Luggage's internal dimensions are probably larger than a pocket dimension, I'll see if I can find statements for that, although he isn't really manipulating any dimension anyway so I feel like it should be limited HDE. Also yeah it should be counted as BFR as well.

It can't die of old age so type 1 is fine, I don't know where type 2 comes from though.

Social influencing is very fine, given he can literally override people's instincts with his stare.

Maybe resistance to physical damage could be labelled as invulnerability?

Also he should get some form of clairvoyance for detecting where his master is

Intelligence proposal is fine.

I feel like there are a bunch of way better 9-B feats for luggage, and some that might slip into 9-A, so if we want to revise him that would be a good place to go.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with the Immeasurable speed ratings since, as Tago mentioned, this thing is outsped by large animals. It just also is immortal and adept at finding magical effects that **** with time.

He has resistance to Magic, not inherently the special effects of Magic themselves. I do believe he should get Physics Manipulation/Matter Manipulation for this as well, since a lot of magic is in fact just these two on a very tiny scale causing bigger effects. But other than that, I'd be against adding resistances.

I'd actually call his insides Dimensional Storage more than Pocket Reality Manip (even if the two are incredibly similar). BFR is fine, Absorption really isn't.

Meh to Time Travel. Social Influencing makes sense.

I actually agree with Tago's proposition for Clairvoyance instead of Extrasensory Perception more.

I'm fine with Average intelligence.

And yeah, I agree there are probably better feats.

Fair enough in large part for resistances, although he did survive in an area with those background magical effects active and Ponder does describe Thaumic fields as "the magical field generated by its narrativum content which tells it (water) that it is water and lets it keep on being water instead of, haha, a pigeon or a frog" in the science of discworld I (although, admittedly, this might be more related to magic revisions in discworld as a whole rather than stuff specific to this thread especially since we already have two witches on the wiki).

I've been meaning to read the book series, I'll see if I can't get around to it soon when I've finished with WoD and WoW.

Yeah, I forgot Immeasurable speed was being proposed, but I agree it doesn't sound quite legit.

I agree with Mr._Bambu's conclusions. They can probably be applied.

Also, I will say, tbf, Discworld is a Children's book series, and isn't here to accurately powerscale stuff, so their feats are always going to be inconsistent and therefore hard to scale.

Remember that Time Death got Drunk despite being a Skeleton?

I mean, it can have a drunk scene while also having powers and scaling be consistent. Discworld is as consistent as any other series we index tbh (maybe even more since there are a ton of recurring concepts which are only covered in small, one off running gags) and the only times there really are major scaling issues is when godlike characters scale to mortals, which is always explained by obvious outside, cosmic influence (this most notably applies to Rincewind) or said godlike characters mucking around.

Also at worst it’s a young adult series, given the occasional body humour and at best it does actually function as an adult series due to the themes and references. While it can function as a children’s series most people agree that it’s not Harry Potter level.

Last edited:
Terry Pratchett made an effort to make Discworld quite insightful and advanced at times, with highly developed characters. He simply inserted lots of comedy and satire into the stories that revelled in the inherent nonsense of the setting. It isn't merely a children's book series, just designed to be all-ages accessible by working on several levels.

Also, I will say, tbf, Discworld is a Children's book series, and isn't here to accurately powerscale stuff, so their feats are always going to be inconsistent and therefore hard to scale.

Remember that Time Death got Drunk despite being a Skeleton?
gonna throw it out there that Discworld being comedy focused doesn't really make it a children's book series, given the subjects it aims to tackle (political corruption, morality of warfare, gender roles, etc).

Technically left wiki and all, but Discworld sure isn't for children.

There's some books which are special because they are written as children books (Maurice and its educated rodden for example), and even these have some (good) philosophy in them and interresting subversions of the genre they represent (not on the same level as the main books tho).

Not to mention the jokes or commentary on gender, racism, society, etc... as well as the characters (if The Watch was for children, you would nearly need to remove all of its characters).

Its cosmology is also pretty complex, if not more complex than most fantasy verses.

Also Death actually has some legit reason for being drunk and all. And even in this case it mostly worked as Bill Door iirc (in Hogfather he complained about still remembering stuff, although it was a long time for this one).

Right, right. I'll update the profile with the accepted stuff now.

For those interested, Tago has started a Discord group for revising Discworld and keeping track of feats/statements. I really don't think there's enough Discworld people to actually necessitate such a thing, but it exists.

I'll post back here when the profile is done.

fixes are done, yo. I'll close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back