• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Discussing IRL Human standards for the Cro-Magnon, Neanderthal & the like

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't quite understand how this is still going. At this point call more staff members if you're so inclined.
Stuff in this forum takes ages tbh. One of my vs threads was several months past halloween even when it was intended to be a halloween match.

I'll be more inclined to call staff and other reasonable methods of attention if no other notable staff input occurs by Oct 18 or Ant has revealed his opinions with the potential compromise. I may even sort things out on the opinions of the thread, I'm unsure about Ant's opinions on my suggestion.

Well, do you want to discuss the sources and justifications for the Chimp and how it ties into the justification on the Neanderthal's tier? Neanderthals can be upscaled from modern prehistoric people. And a study that I know of states they have a trabecular bone structure similar to what would be expected of other comparable nonhuman primates of similar body mass.

I think this is rejected
Currently, it seems that way, but no one's addressed the sexual dimorphism argument I provided and stuff on-forum is pretty slow.

And before anyone else point it out, yes, the scans I've provided have shown a guy having peak human speed and other hunter-gatherer groups and even a prehistoric farmer woman exceeding athletes in some records/areas. This makes the argument of modern training and advantages actually strengthen the feats due to the conditions they've been through.

The point that really has me put the overall rating with Crabwhale as some common ground here is selection bias and the nature of archaeological evidence.

I clarified above that my reasons for deleting the profiles are not out of any moral concerns but rather pragmatism. They are basically more or less on the same level as anatomically modern humans, and at that point it's just straight up easier to point to the relevant statistics pages when it comes up.

Maybe you could make a case for Neanderthals staying but I see absolutely no reason why Cro-Magnons should stay.
This seems like a workable compromise solution then, if any of our content moderators or administrators are willing to properly apply the change in practice.

My apologies for not responding often enough. I have been extremely overworked both with my wiki tasks and IRL. 🙏

This seems like a workable compromise solution then, if any of our content moderators or administrators are willing to properly apply the change in practice.

My apologies for not responding often enough. I have been extremely overworked both with my wiki tasks and IRL. 🙏
What do I need to do?

What do I need to do?
This vvv
Well, I still think that a deletion of the Cro-magnon profile, and keeping the Neanderthal profile with a note on why it's still there is a viable option. Crabwhale sees that a case can be made here with keeping the Neanderthal profile.
But I'll compromise anyway. Since we’re split on keeping both profiles, why don’t we just delete the cro-magnon profile and then leave a note on how the Neanderthal still staying on-site on it's profile?
2 replies, the message is still the same.

What should the Neanderthal's note be?
'''Note:'''

*[https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/who-...distinct species called Homo neanderthalensis. While they're] [https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/the-transition-to-modern-behavior-86614339/ mentally close] to real life people, the Neanderthal profile [[vsforum:threads/155319/post-6077784|has been kept over the]] [[vsforum:threads/155319/post-6080592|Cro-magnon profile as a compromise]] since they're physically and biologically a different species than homo sapiens.
If we really wanted to we can add the sexual dimorphism thing to further solidify the profile's place, but the note I suggested should be the one for now. I'll add further justifications for the low-end of it's tier in the IRL animals CRT.

'''Note:'''

*[https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/who-were-the-neanderthals.html#:~:text=Neanderthals were humans like us, but they were a distinct species called Homo neanderthalensis. While they're] [https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/the-transition-to-modern-behavior-86614339/ mentally close] to real life people, the Neanderthal profile [[vsforum:threads/155319/post-6077784|has been kept over the]] [[vsforum:threads/155319/post-6080592|Cro-magnon profile as a compromise]] since they're physically and biologically a different species than homo sapiens.
If we really wanted to we can add the sexual dimorphism thing to further solidify the profile's place, but the note I suggested should be the one for now. I'll add further justifications for the low-end of it's tier in the IRL animals CRT.
Lol, I saw your edit and I realized the link's messed up.

Shouldn't be from this
[https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/who-were-the-neanderthals.html species called Homo neanderthalensis. While they're]

to this
[https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/who-were-the-neanderthals.html While they're]

To make things cleaner, or do I have to do it myself?
I've handled the changes. This can be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back