• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not my problem, it's the writer's. I'm not the one who wrote myself into a corner on literally day one. It was a bad idea from the start to revolve your premise around a character who's has that specific powerset without limitations. Hence me saying the writer's a hack.

TheMonsterOfTheAbyss said:
Well I stumbled upon a nice derail.

I had written my opinion on this but that would just be more pointless derail, on a topic I do not like due to the "fanbase"? That is certainly not the correct term but you get the idea.

Point is, Jojo character loses by a long shot, thread should just d I E.
I mean, the thread was solved by post three anyway. At this point the thread exists to be derailed, and the OP is okay with it by the looks of it. By all means, I'm looking for a rebuttal.

Bedroombedrock said:
Shouldn't that be stated in his abilities or resistances then? Also what if I made him fight GER, I'm trying to find something to beat this ******
Alice kicked his ass before.

I did not just stop and erase what I had fir the sake of not derailing, I did it for the sake of just not wasting time on something I have no real interest in, thus why I called it pointless.

A complex human morality because humans are weird finicky beings. I'm pretty sure if I got omnipotent death hax I wouldnt just sit around doing nothing all day occasionally killing people that's boring

In terms of character, I wouldn't say Yogiri's uninteresting. Well, not exactly. His entire character revolves around the myth of ID. Which is the interesting part about him in my eyes.

It's like, often times in stories gods themselves don't have interesting personalities per-se, but the legend of their deeds and other characters reaction to those legends are the interesting portion.

Yeah, he's like that.

What would've been interesting is if they focused on the woman who was taking care of Yogiri as a child, and that was the plot of the series. A scientist woman taking care of her adopted child who's also the grim reaper.

I did not claim he was not one, did I? I just said another type of generic isekai protagonist. There are ever so slight variation between edgelords, heroic, harem kings, self-inserts and whatever reincarnation fantasies the author had.

Basically the idea proposed would do close to nothing for pushing him out of the generic eye.

No im suggesting making him throw away his regard for other people's feelings and doing whatever he wants while still maintaining the status quo of society ;)

I'm going off the assumption that no normal human is ever entirely evil and is capable of self reflection and good regardless of atrocities or evil acts per se

One more thing before I go back to work for the next two hours; Yogiri isn't a generic isekai MC.

Trust me, I'll explain when I get home.

Generic: Characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific.

^This is the definition I'll be using to display why this word cannot be used to describe Yogiri. Calling him a generic isekai MC=there are countless MCs just like him and their personalities and roles in there stories are interchangeable. This just flat out isn't the case.

I'll start off with one of the reasons Cal gave as to why Yogiri is generic.

1) There is a complete absence of romantic tension: Leading up into the 4th volume where we are currently (In English translations), there is absolutely 0 romantic tension between Yogiri and any of the female cast. This is very rare in isekai stories. And what I mean by "romantic tension" is; One of the characters have a crush on the MC or the MC has a crush on one of the characters. This is extremely common in isekai, but is completely missing from Instant Death. Even Tomochika is only fairly close friends with Yogiri, and not at all romantically attracted to him, she never even hints to it.

2) OP Power not obtained in another world: Very few isekai start off with the main character having an OP ability that he had before he was isekai'd. It only becomes a slightly large pool if you consider "skill/intelligence" to count among these Over Powered abilities. Fair enough that there are characters like Yakagi Suimei, but it's still relatively uncommon.

3) There is no Power Escalation: Not once in the entire Web Novel has Yogiri got a combative ability other than Instant Death. The only thing that comes anywhere close to being an ability which he gained in another world is the sword skills Tomochika taught him. "Why would he need additional powers if ID is so broken?"

Well, I believe you missed the point good sir. The point is that a traditional isekai protagonist would seek out more powers and abilities regardless of how OP he already was.

He would also not be able to stomp absolutely everyone effortlessly.

4) His attitude towards Death: Unlike other isekai MCs who hesitate to kill others but do so if needed (Most fall under this category). Yogiri's attitude towards the killing of others is cold. Even when he accidentally kills, he never broods over it, the most you'll get out of him is a "My bad.". While there are characters such as Ainz Ooal Gow who somewhat share this attitude a bit, unlike most of them who changed after being isekai'd, Yogiri has always had this attitude. Always absolutely confident that his ability is always working properly to alert him of killing intent. What if some kind of malfunction happens where he accidentally targets the wrong person because his sense for killing intent was off? This is something he never even thinks about.

In this section it's also worth mentioning that Tomochika also doesn't have any real qualms with Yogiri being this way, unlike a traditional heroine. The most you'll get out of her is a "Geez, you went a bit far."

I'll stop here for now and get some rest....

The real cal howard said:
If the fatehax is just said instead of shown then it's just conjecture and shouldn't even be on the profile. Yogiri still wins because he's a wish fulfillment Gary Stu devoid of any character or narrative stakes, so it doesn't matter.
And YungManzi's paragraph describing how Yogiri is a walking rock with absolutely zero emotion at all certainly doesn't help.

Hey, whether or not you find his personality interesting is more subjective. Calling him generic though...

YungManzi said:
Hey, whether or not you find his personality interesting is more subjective. Calling him generic though...
How can I find a personality interesting when there is none at all?

"Gee, I don't want to be generic, how about I make no character at all?"

Oblivion Of The Endless said:
As Ive said in some threads before, Tomochika's character already makes up for the lack of personality of Yogiri. Its like his other half
So, Yogiri sucks, but Tomochika fills in by being a character?

That's like putting a Mary Sue and a thought-provoking morally gray protagonist in the same room and saying the Mary Sue is good as a result.

Moritzva said:
Oblivion Of The Endless said:
As Ive said in some threads before, Tomochika's character already makes up for the lack of personality of Yogiri. Its like his other half
So, Yogiri sucks, but Tomochika fills in by being a character?
That's like putting a Mary Sue and a thought-provoking morally gray protagonist in the same room and saying the Mary Sue is good as a result.
Did I say he was good because of that? He doesnt have much personality but he is still a lot better than other MC Isekai protagonists out there solely because he doesnt have cliche attitudes and such. Waht he doesnt have, Tomochika have, and what Tomochika doesnt have, he has it.

Reading Instant Death for the sake of exciting fights? Wrong road my man (at least regarding to Yogiri. You can find exicting fights with other characters in the series, such as Ayaka but you have to wait a bit)

Whats up with this grudge against the series, lol? Just because the character doesnt show emotions or doesnt have much personality? Sorry, but we have a **** ton of protagonists who are just like that and yet it doesnt make the series any bad

What is even more funny is that you guys are criticizing when have never read the LN, except for Cal, so I can actually respect his opinion

Now I know what Earl has been through tbh

I'm going to read the entire series just to put myself as a "knowledgeable member of Instant Death" out of petty spite, watch.

To be honest, I'd planned to get into the series when I heard about it since I thought it was a comedy/parody since no author in their right mind would actually think writing a serious story where this kind of power was available would be a good idea.

Boy am I glad I never got around to doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back