• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Death Battle General Discussion Thread 3

They don't do that often. It just happened that the original animator for that got busy so they couldn't work on it (same creator of Dio vs Sakuya) so they just went with that. And yes people complain more about the representation of Alice and her fate there more than Alice losing, which is plenty

But often times OMM is pretty calm and friendlier compared to DB tbh.

Apologies if this is necro posting, couldn't find a more up to date thread of DB. If this is a violation of sorts, just let me know.

Now then, the final match of the season has been announced: Sephy vs Vergil... I kind of have mixed feelings about this one, mostly because I just really doubt they will really make it fair for Sephy. I mean, if they bring the Supernova at all they will likely disregard it as a mind or illusion attack, or just gameplay, he doesn't has a cutscene feat for speed, power or anything (I mean most calcs here are via scaling, right?), while Vergil has lots of crazy feats moments, sharing the same "rain void" as Dante and the whole deal with their Regenerationn to make them unkillable.

I'm pretty sure they'll give the win to Vergil over his own cutscene feats or scaling to Dante who also has many of them.

It's not a necro, barely a month since last post.

I swear if I here "Supernova is in illusion" I'm done.

They'll give Sephiroth the Bayonetta treatment...I'm still triggered by that fight.....

Gargoyle One said:
It's not a necro, barely a month since last post.
I swear if I here "Supernova is in illusion" I'm done.
I see, thanks for letting me know. On topic: It's not unlikely, sadly. I mean, not trying to bash DB or anything (I genuinely enjoy the show even if I disagree with them quite a bit), but they haven't very fair to FFVII in the past. They probably can't just ignore the Supernova given how famous it is, but it's pretty unlikely they will consider it seriously (doesn't help that outside VS communities, a lot people tend to just disregard the Supernova as gameplay only or an illusion because it doesn't kill the party, etc.) And the issue that whenever FFVII is brought up they only consider what they can get from Dissidia and Advent Children. They do bring up stuff from the original game, but it's always just ignored when the analysis comes (the defensive boosts of the Ziedrich, the attack bonus of the Premium Heart and the Limit Breaks, magic being treated as weak hadouken like projectiles, the fact they fought Sephiroth which they considered a Planet Buster, etc.)

I guess that's a fair thing to say Tarta DB can be inconsistent but it's all just for fun in the end and I'm glad you can be reasonably about it

Wish I was that mature, though XD

To be honest, it does bother me a bit, though for different reasons. Namely, not so much they lost their fights, but how Death Battle is usually taken as the final word in these debates by most people outside VS debating sites and given how FFVII is a pretty popular magnet of hate the detractors pour in and get insufferable for a good while in FFVII related stuff. Add to that how I can't help to feel "FFVII is much more capable of what they're giving them credit for". Sadly, that sours my opinion on the DBs themselves, though I know it's not really fair given DB never really wanted to screw over anybody, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with their work.

That is true they have even said a few times outside the show that they aren't the end all be all and that this show is just for fun but your concern is 100% understandably

Cloud vs Link: Cloud shitstomps without a second thought with correct ratings. He loses the DB, and the death had no blood.

Tifa vs Yang: Tifa shitstomps without a second thought with correct ratings. She loses the DB, and the death has no blood.

Sephiroth vs Vergil: Sephiroth shitstomps without a second thought with correct ratings.

They better not continue the trend...

Loved the DBX and that OMM, I dunno, but fast paced fights are such a delight for me. Though Sephy did lose that OMM, so less of a consolation and more of a ominous omen *insert ghastly ooooooh* I too, in a way, hope for a more fair analysis this time... But this is why I am skeptical towards Sephy vs Vergil. I mean, the Supernova is met with a lot of opposition among many people who disregard it as gameplay only or illusions, so it's rather easy to just hand wave it and make it sound convincing, which is what I think DB will do. Namely, just say it's a visual effect or "however, Sephiroth needs the Black Materia to be even able to endanger the Planet, so this sort of power can't be his own right away", and I don't think they will check the Ultimanias to see Author's word that he indeed does have that move and that power. Also, given the Supernova wasn't brought up neither for Cloud nor Tifa I see it unlikely it will come up now, especially since it would retroactively throw a wrench on the last two fights of FFVII. Not to mention they use mostly cutscene stuff and while they are using scaling more now, it's mostly still cutscene related. So I really doubt they will use the Bahamut Fury feat and scaling that puts Sephiroth at a Faster than Light speed since the cinematic took part within a battle.

To be fair, Cloud vs Link was more or less fair. I mean, Cloud did get some negatives unfairly such as being considered a dumb fighter when canon openly contradicts that, being critically weak to the Master Sword regardless of durability or the fact they ignored the Ziedrich they brought up (which massively increases defense, magic defense and also halves all elemental damage, holy included)... but, even if this hadn't been considered that way, they could have just given Link more of his items, especially since they were using a composite. Not to mention it was a Season 1 fight, they were still getting their pace down.

Can't say much about Yang vs Tifa, I barely know anything about RWBY. But it kinda goes with what I said before regarding cutscenes and ignoring gameplay: You could say she should scale to Cloud and co, and I agree, but for most people outside VS sites the tier system is a big surprise and they mostly rely on individual feats. At first you just assume they can't be FTL or capable of destroying countries because their fights never scale larger than a building or something and assume the ones of that power are the likes of Superman who can punch someone to the other side of the planet and can follow someone to the sun in an instant.

Apologies for the wall of text, will be less wordy from now on. >_>

Back