• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DCEU light speed justification (again)

It moves and reflects in a straight line,
It burns and doesn’t explode.
it acts IDENTICALLY to magnified sunlight in the snyderverse (context in the article above)
Also in that same comic, we see it refract off metal before it melts it. See page 5 for proof and context

• The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.

Overall, I am neutral here since burning and not exploding isn’t a qualifier for lightspeed necessarily.
The point at hand is not that burning is a qualifier for light speed. The point is that it’s firey nature and unrealistic characteristics are identical to how actual magnified sunlight is portrayed in the universe so most of the arguments against it do not stand.

Also in that same comic, we see it refract off metal before it melts it. See page 5 for proof and context

I not sure if that counts as refract per se as by definition refract means: “

: to subject (something, such as a ray of light) to refraction
b: to alter or distort as if by refraction

And the definition for refraction is: “ deflection from a straight path undergone by a light ray or energy wave in passing obliquely from one medium (such as air) into another (such as glass) in which its velocity is different”

It is legitimately melting the metal connector to the cars and that also looks like a straight path to me as that argument isn’t completely a good line of thought.

It’s stated never stated to be energy based. It’s stated he channels the energy in his body to produce a beam of red light. It’s explicitly described as a beam multiple times through out the guidebooks.
Pretty sure it say energy beam which is a good indication it is energy based though.

And like I said the word beam is there, it cannot be used against it. Light gives off energy
Yes, but it is also not a strong indication of the beam = speed of light necessarily. You need to have stated that Superman’s heat vision is at speed of light which I think is the main contention of this entire thread to say the least.

It’s stated he channels the energy in his body to produce a beam of red light.
Yes. Ergo, energy-based.
it acts IDENTICALLY to magnified sunlight in the snyderverse
When light passes through a magnifying glass, its solar energy is absorbed, intensified, and focused into a concentrated beam of heat. Based on this, we can logically infer that if the the magnified laser the Amazonian used is identical in appearance to Heat Vision, then Heat Vision would be a concentrated beam of heat.

Yes. Ergo, energy-based.

When light passes through a magnifying glass, its solar energy is absorbed, intensified, and focused into a concentrated beam of heat. Based on this, we can logically infer that if the the magnified laser the Amazonian used is identical in appearance to Heat Vision, then Heat Vision would be a concentrated beam of heat.
That beam of heat is still in the form of light bro. A magnifying glass’ main job is to enhance the light. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s still light

Ngl just forgot this thread existed.

So to sum it up again

Points for
  • The guidebook states he fires beams of red light
  • The reflect off Cyborg's shield in a straight line
  • Various novel excerpts state the beams are lasers or like lasers
Points directly against - Major
  • They flower and bloom at times when they hit something they don't reflect off of
  • They're shown to have physical force (Doomsday's beams pushing Superman back and Cyborg being tossed back from the force of Superman's heat vision)
Points directly against - Minor
  • The lightspeed calcs are notably beyond the other speed calcs in the series by a large margin
  • They come from an unrealistic source
Points that might or might not mean something
  • Clark is stated to have total control of his beams. The issue of course is: Why would Zod, Doomsday or the freshly revived Superman ever hold back their beam speed?
  • Heat Vision is sometimes called energy beams rather than lasers

So with the Syndercut considered, the most that happens is the the "Flower and Bloom" part of against is possibly ignorable. But the other major points stands as do the two minor points.

Personally even with the SnyderCut I'm rather iffy on it. But if the majority wants to go with them being acceptable that's more or less everything.

The physical force argument isn't to major since we have accepted light speed lasers that explode, and if Clark can control his heat vision it might mean he can change how destructive they are.

Overall I'm neutral regarding this. I can see arguments for both sides, and sadly I don't think we do a possibly for this kind of thing.

The physical force argument isn't to major since we have accepted light speed lasers that explode, and if Clark can control his heat vision it might mean he can change how destructive they are.

Overall I'm neutral regarding this. I can see arguments for both sides, and sadly I don't think we do a possibly for this kind of thing.
But then again, the HV never caused an explosion on it's own

Ngl just forgot this thread existed.

So to sum it up again

Points for
Points directly against - Major
  • They flower and bloom at times when they hit something they don't reflect off of
  • They're shown to have physical force (Doomsday's beams pushing Superman back and Cyborg being tossed back from the force of Superman's heat vision)
Points directly against - Minor
  • The lightspeed calcs are notably beyond the other speed calcs in the series by a large margin
  • They come from an unrealistic source
Points that might or might not mean something
  • Clark is stated to have total control of his beams. The issue of course is: Why would Zod, Doomsday or the freshly revived Superman ever hold back their beam speed?
  • Heat Vision is sometimes called energy beams rather than lasers

So with the Syndercut considered, the most that happens is the the "Flower and Bloom" part of against is possibly ignorable. But the other major points stands as do the two minor points.

Personally even with the SnyderCut I'm rather iffy on it. But if the majority wants to go with them being acceptable that's more or less everything.
Been gone for a while, my bad. Clark is stated to have control of the size and temperature but never stated to have control over its speed. The guidebooks explicitly state that.

It also doesn’t matter if it’s sometimes called energy beams because the literally definition of beam is ray of light. It just means it’s an energetic ray of light. All rays of light have thermal energy so it’s not an anti statement.

Do they really have an unrealistic source? It’s really just superman expelling concentrated sunlight that he absorbed.

Also the light speed calcs are not far beyond anything we’ve seen in the dceu. Characters casually react to lighting, new dceu accepted calcs are sub-relativistic with the light speed calcs only bumping them up to relativistic( .22 sol) and flash stated to be able to go far beyond the speed of light, superman outflying black hole(I know this isn’t accepted but I’m using it as a supporting feat/example)

The only real anti feat is it pushing cyborg and superman back. But then again the beam of sunlight that the Amazon’s used was able to physically interact with a mother box. And even if it didn’t, are we going to ignore everything else? Like I said before they literally showed us what an intense beam of sunlight would look like and it was identical to kryptonian heat vision.

Also the light speed calcs are not far beyond anything we’ve seen in the dceu. Characters casually react to lighting, new dceu accepted calcs are sub-relativistic with the light speed calcs only bumping them up to relativistic( .22 sol) and flash stated to be able to go far beyond the speed of light, superman outflying black hole(I know this isn’t accepted but I’m using it as a supporting feat/example)
It not being to far from the characters speed doesn't hold bearing on whether it's valid or not (I've been told this before), as it's more about if the lasers are accepted as lightspeed, and then it's discussed on how it scales to the characters consistency.

As far as I can remember, I heard that physical force doesn't count as an anti-feat anymore from fellow calc group members

As far as I can remember, I heard that physical force doesn't count as an anti-feat anymore from fellow calc group members
Not sure if that is true per se. Might need a clarification thread on this since I have mixed feelings as technically light doesn’t do physical force necessarily

It not being to far from the characters speed doesn't hold bearing on whether it's valid or not (I've been told this before), as it's more about if the lasers are accepted as lightspeed, and then it's discussed on how it scales to the characters consistency.
To tell if it’s consistent don’t u have to compare it to the other feats?

It's still an anti-feat, it's just not longer a major disqualifier.
With the debunks I’ve made here are some conclusions.

Points for
  • Looks and acts identicaly to concentrated sunlight in the verse.

Here are some misconceptions:
“Guidebook stated Clark has total control of the beams including speed”. If u read the full paragraph u will realize this only refers to the size and heat but NOT speed. Meaning the beam moves light speed at all times and does not slow down or speed up on its own/in the same environment, like actual light

“It comes from an unrealistic source” As said bf it’s just kryptonians expelling the sunlight that they absorbed in a concentrated beam.

“It’s far beyond any other feats/ inconsistent” No it’s not, the light speed calcs only put them at relativistic while the current stats show sub relativistic, based on feats that were done casually. Flash has ftl statements, superman outflies blackhole etc. In fact, some of the light speed calcs don’t even upgrade their stats. For example cyborg blocking the heat vision would still leave him at sub-relativistic and would not be an upgrade.

“They flower and bloom” yep just like magnified sunglight in the verse.

“called an energy beam” yep just like light. Beam’s Oxford meaning is either means “ray of light” Or “plank of wood” And we know supermans not shooting wood lmao. An energy beam would by definition be a ray of light packing noticeable energy until proven otherwise.

“they have physical force” but as LordGriffin said:
“The physical force argument isn't to major since we have accepted light speed lasers that explode, and if Clark can control his heat vision it might mean he can change how destructive they are.”

If there isn’t anything else to address can the changes be applied?

Last edited:

Points for

“Guidebook stated Clark has total control of the beams including speed”. If u read the full paragraph u will realize this only refers to the size and heat but NOT speed. Meaning the beam moves light speed at all times and does not slow down or speed up, like actual light

“It comes from an unrealistic source” As said bf it’s just kryptonians expelling the sunlight that they absorbed in a concentrated beam.

“It’s far beyond any other feats/ inconsistent” No it’s not, the light speed calcs only put them at relativistic while the current stats show sub relativistic, based on feats that were done casually. Flash has ftl statements, superman outflows. In fact, some of the light speed calc don’t even upgrade their stats.

“called an energy beam” yep just like light. Beam’s Oxford meaning is either means “ray of light” Or “plank of wood” And we know supermans not shooting wood lmao. An energy beam would by definition be a ray of light packing noticeable energy until proven otherwise.

“The physical force argument isn't to major since we have accepted light speed lasers that explode, and if Clark can control his heat vision it might mean he can change how destructive they are.”

Completely agree

Points for

“Guidebook stated Clark has total control of the beams including speed”. If u read the full paragraph u will realize this only refers to the size and heat but NOT speed. Meaning the beam moves light speed at all times and does not slow down or speed up, like actual light

“It’s far beyond any other feats/ inconsistent” No it’s not, the light speed calcs only put them at relativistic while the current stats show sub relativistic, based on feats that were done casually. Flash has ftl statements, superman outflies blackhole etc. In fact, some of the light speed calcs don’t even upgrade their stats. For example cyborg blocking the heat vision would still leave him at sub-relativistic and would not be an upgrade.

Very good points

That's still an unrealistic source. A magic slug powering a flashlight would still make the flashlight powered by an unrealistic source, but it wouldn't effect the flashlight being SoL.
Flash has ftl statements
In the SnyderCut which is non-canon.

But also FTL may not be the best point to use, since they're slower than the Flash by a far greater margin than just the accepted values for FTL.
In the non-canon Snydercut. This wouldn't be a justification for the mainline universe.
If you want to do a vote tally sure.

While I get what you are trying to say about the “flower and bloom” point being in the SnyderCut, it doesn’t actually change anything here as it is still how Snyder portrays a concentrated beam of natural light, canon or not.

It would be the equivalent of dismissing an author statement about their run just because they are answering a question after their run. By all means, argue that LS HV is inconsistent and doesn’t fit with the other speed feats in the verse but dismissing the magnified sunlight scene is a no go in regards to sage’s point.

Snyder portrays a concentrated beam of natural light, canon or not.
But the source still comes from a material that's not canon to other properties. You can use it as secondary evidence for artistic flair, but its not a major point of evidence for anything outside of the SnyderCut universe.
author statement about their run just because they are answering a question after their run.
It would be ignoring a statement about their run when the company hired another writer to go back and rewrite their run and change a vast swath of elements to something else. In that case you wouldn't take the WoG quote as being indicative for the retconned verse.

Back