• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics - Spectre Low 1-C AP Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except it does encompass the local Multiverse and that's shown in the map.
The map is not literal.

And in New Gods 10, it's stated all Universes in the Orrery exists in a bubble of new genesis
That contradicts a lot of what we know, but even if this were true, it would simply disprove that Heaven encompasses the multiverse as Heaven does not encompass new genesis.

1: Referring to the Multiverse as a book

2: Being a higher order of reality; and

3: Having to change your vibrations and change into material flesh

Are enough evidences for a transcendence
None of these speak to infinite transcendence, though.

I don't deny that they do, but 1 of the 2 small demons saying "Enough Ghast. You'll never make the ranks of rhyming demons. Your poetry stinks." to the other when he talked just like Neron did, and needing to tell Neron to say his goal in concrete language to be understood shows that they all talk in an imprecise, poetic way.
He says it because Ghast tries to reach the Etrigan Rank, the rhyming demons, speak with poetic words as a sign of power and status, and at no time he is the Narrator, also the Narrator is gives a detailed form about how are heaven and hell, the demons ask what is the reason why Neron allied with an Angel, something that doesn't really make sense and the goals of both had to be explained more thoroughly in Paradise Lost
Your take, but it doesn't matter if it's "more" of that when it doesn't remove the fact that he was talking in an absurd way and got taunted for. You can look at some other aspect of what was going on but that fact still stands on its own.
Fair
Again, you are looking at this from some other aspect when the fact remains that MMH called out his people for their would-be superiority, imlying they don't have it or overhype it, how they don't see reason, and how they are insane. MMH says it because he's correct, if you want to look at why he said it for other reasons then sure, but that doesn't suddenly mean he wasn't correct and how he listened Neron's nonsense talk before speaking his mind.
MMH doesn't know what's really going on (he literally ask to Zauriel), although I understand your point, MMH is seeing this as nonsense since this is from their point of view an invasion of "conquerors and masterrace" full of confidences and superiority, but that they will fall since they do not follow the orders of others.
You are presenting reasons, and those are correct, and then you ignore what I said, but you're not presenting reasons to ignore what I said.
Does you refer to some points that I did not answer? It wasn't because i ignore you, I just agreed with you, I just thought that not saying it was more than enough to show that I agree with you.

The map is not literal.
I don't see why that part shouldn't be taken literally.
That contradicts a lot of what we know, but even if this were true, it would simply disprove that Heaven encompasses the multiverse as Heaven does not encompass new genesis.
New Genesis shouldn't be vastly above Heaven, so Heaven can scale to it.
None of these speak to infinite transcendence, though.
The book thing implies a R>f and combined with it being a higher vibratory world, a higher order of reality, and its beings needing to convert to flesh and lower their power to access the lower realms, I think we have sufficient evidence to conclude a transcendence.

Besides, I am not trying to argue Heaven is infinitely above Bleed, I am just trying to argue Bleed isn't infinitely above Heaven.

The Low 1-C looks fine to me. Those scans aside, Heaven is a realm of the Sphere of the Gods, and so it being inferior to the Bleed (Which is a 5-dimensional bulk that embeds all universes within itself, textbook Low 1-C) in any way sounds pretty nonsensical to me, at least in the context of later portrayals of the cosmology, where everything in that plane exists in the same general state of existence which one has to attune themselves to in the process of accessing the realm. The whole being Tier 1 while its contituents realms aren't doesn't really compute.

Nevermind the fact that the scans with Zauriel and Asmodel, I believe, come from Grant Morrison's run of JLA, and I'd wager we're all familiar with how he's portrayed beings of the Sphere of the Gods elsewhere. (Granted, his run of JLA is from a time where his cosmology wasn't exactly fully ironed out yet, as evidenced by a few instances of early-installment weirdness found in there, like [IIRC] Wonderworld being stated to be the absolute border of the cosmology past which there's only the abyss beyond the multiverse)

I don't see why that part shouldn't be taken literally.
Because the authors have literally said not to.

New Genesis shouldn't be vastly above Heaven, so Heaven can scale to it.
That's a complete assumption, and again, based on information that drastically contradicts the greater cosmology.

The book thing implies a R>f
Not without further evidence, no.

Those scans aside, Heaven is a realm of the Sphere of the Gods, and so it being inferior to the Bleed (Which is a 5-dimensional bulk that embeds all universes within itself, textbook Low 1-C) in any way sounds pretty nonsensical to me
Do we have knowledge that suggests every realm in the Sphere is greater than or equal to the bleed? That seems like quite an assumption. The realms of the Sphere are just the manifestation of the multiverse's belief system. I don't see a reason why mankind couldn't manifest a religious belief lower than 1-C or a realm that isn't necessarily greater than the Bleed.

Well, since Ultima rather convincingly argued for why this upgrade should be accepted, I suppose that it is probably fine, but let's wait a while to make certain.

Because the authors have literally said not to.
Iirc only about Destiny being at the top.
That's a complete assumption, and again, based on information that drastically contradicts the greater cosmology.
Are you saying New Genesis has a qualitative superiority over Heaven despite existing in the same Sphere?
Not without further evidence, no.
It might not be enough for a definite confirmation, which is why I provided two more evidences. Those should be enough.

Iirc only about Destiny being at the top.
No, they have explained that the realms do not have literal spatial positioning relative to eachother as the map would imply, it's simply a visual aid.

Are you saying New Genesis has a qualitative superiority over Heaven despite existing in the same Sphere?
No, I am saying that scaling New Genesis and Heaven as equals is an assertion that should be backed with evidence beyond "they're both in the Sphere."

It might not be enough for a definite confirmation, which is why I provided two more evidences. Those should be enough.
The other pieces of evidence likewise do not address the idea of infinite transcendence. 3 incomplete pieces of evidence do not create 1 complete piece of evidence. They all, individually, address a vague notion of superiority, but superiority and infinite transcendence are very very different things.

Am confused...
Why? What you said was that the map shows there is a difference. What I said was there's no evidence every realm in the Sphere is greater than the Bleed. What's contradictory about that?

No, they have explained that the realms do not have literal spatial positioning relative to eachother as the map would imply, it's simply a visual aid.
I don't disagree, but can you show this for reference?

I don't disagree, but can you show this for reference?
From my interview with Scott Snyder

7 minutes in or so

Snyder - Well, I spoke to Grant (Morrison) about that and its hard, you know its funny, you know, I was talking to him about it and I want to visualize the map and hes like the map is always such a pain in the ass because none of it would be spacial or time based. You really cannot do a map beyond Imagination, its totally counter intuative, so its hard to place that layer. The way I like to think of it, again it doesn't really make sense geographically was that it existed was like because the 6th dimension is like a place that exists beyond imagination that are capable of things we cannot fathom.

Asmodel is definitely not portrayed as 1-C in that arc unless we're going to ignore the fact that Superman was able to wrestle with Asmodel and was even shown to stalemate him.

This was even though Asmodel manifested in his "full glory"

Thank you for helping out, Sandman31. We would greatly appreciate your help with our DC Comics cosmology revision project preparations private message thread as well.

Last edited:
The Low 1-C looks fine to me. Those scans aside, Heaven is a realm of the Sphere of the Gods, and so it being inferior to the Bleed (Which is a 5-dimensional bulk that embeds all universes within itself, textbook Low 1-C) in any way sounds pretty nonsensical to me, at least in the context of later portrayals of the cosmology, where everything in that plane exists in the same general state of existence which one has to attune themselves to in the process of accessing the realm. The whole being Tier 1 while its contituents realms aren't doesn't really compute.

Nevermind the fact that the scans with Zauriel and Asmodel, I believe, come from Grant Morrison's run of JLA, and I'd wager we're all familiar with how he's portrayed beings of the Sphere of the Gods elsewhere. (Granted, his run of JLA is from a time where his cosmology wasn't exactly fully ironed out yet, as evidenced by a few instances of early-installment weirdness found in there, like [IIRC] Wonderworld being stated to be the absolute border of the cosmology past which there's only the abyss beyond the multiverse)
Though he seemed gigantic, eventually, Darkseid fell on a single universe only (Mandrakk saying the dying god (Darkseid) has left the universe. Darkseid was stated to have fallen on the base of the Orrery which is New Earth etc ) which is the New Earth universe. Darkseids Fall did not damage the entire Orrery, we only know that it caused cracks across the New Earth reality.

In fact the Monitors were inspecting the Orrery (This was after Darkseids Fall) and they said everything is fine/repaired (https://2.bp.blogspot.com/f-qBQ6ctZ...NrtTpTjEbDiXnyslkjcY_jVY_num3GdNLhHxIHb=s1600)

The real damage happened when Darkseid gave a thumbsdown to reality and turned Earth into a singularity (https://2.bp.blogspot.com/9N_lcn-rS...YkiPl1oTj0zPz_ZYjuFQg9Nr0NAlzz-YYEmcZOcO9E=s0). This is important because the Main Earth and Earth 33 were called the "Axis of Creation" and within the storyline itself, The Monitors called New Earth as the "Foundation Stone of All Existence"

293849476_504488318111990_9148201920205548643_n.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/VI1P_RXOR...Btcqa-2qpvXT79Z_Q4Eur9zE2p5HwJI49Udisho=s1600\

"New Earth is secure. The Bleed drains are intact"

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/f-qBQ6ctZ...NrtTpTjEbDiXnyslkjcY_jVY_num3GdNLhHxIHb=s1600
\
Darkseid fell on New Earth > Darkseid uses the Anti Life to warp the space around Earth causing it to become a singularity > The Orrery almost got destroyed because New Earth is the cornerstone of existence

This concept has been used before like in Our Worlds at War (Where Imperiex tried to induce a Big Bang on Earth) and that time when Superman save Earth from the Phantom Planet where it was said that if Earth was destroyed then so does the multiverse.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping out, Sandman31.

Again, your help with evaluating our progress so far in our DC Comics cosmology revision thread would be extremely appreciated.

Okay. thank you for helping out. I think that Multilocation seems fine to add.

From my interview with Scott Snyder

7 minutes in or so

Snyder - Well, I spoke to Grant (Morrison) about that and its hard, you know its funny, you know, I was talking to him about it and I want to visualize the map and hes like the map is always such a pain in the ass because none of it would be spacial or time based. You really cannot do a map beyond Imagination, its totally counter intuative, so its hard to place that layer. The way I like to think of it, again it doesn't really make sense geographically was that it existed was like because the 6th dimension is like a place that exists beyond imagination that are capable of things we cannot fathom.

1. Why are you trying to pass off this rando's interview as your own?
2. I thought interview statements "weren't necessarily canon", because authors didn't have sole authorship over what is printed in DC Comics, so why are you suddenly using Scott Snyder's interview statements as if they're rules that apply to the whole DC Comics setting now?
3. In the context of that quote, Scott Snyder is blatantly talking about visualizing his own weird "Sixth Dimension" thing in relation to Grant Morrison's Map of the Multiverse, and not the map itself. Hence the "there really isn't a way to do a map when you're talking about a realm that's beyond imagination" quote. The way the "Sixth Dimension" related to the map was literally the focus of the question that prompted that quote from Scott Snyder to begin with (the question begins at around 7:00 sharp in the video), so trying to portray it as being about the map itself is blatantly misinterpreting both the question and the answer, and overall a very dishonest move.
4. How does any of that prove that the DC afterlife and the Fourth World aren't on the same general level of existence?

Last edited:
2. I thought interview statements "weren't necessarily canon", because authors didn't have sole authorship over what is printed in DC Comics, so why are you suddenly using Scott Snyder's interview statements as if they're rules that apply to the whole DC Comics setting now?
They indeed aren't necessarily canon. But nothing about the map suggests it should be taken literally as a physical map regardless. Authors can help inform what we already have on the page. In the context of many Grant Morrison interviews, however, people use them to add things that are completely absent from the story.

so trying to portray it as being about the map itself is blatantly misinterpreting both the question and the answer, and overall a very dishonest move.
No, it isn't. My question was about the 6th Dimension, but the quote I referenced was indeed about the map itself.

I was talking to him about it and I want to visualize the map and hes like the map is always such a pain in the ass because none of it would be spatial or time based.

This portion isn't exclusive to the 6th Dimension, and disproves the notion that the best way to interpret the map is by taking it as a literal physical representation of these realms, which is counter intuitive regardless, since several of these realms literally aren't physical

4. How does any of that prove that the DC afterlife and the Fourth World aren't on the same general level of existence?
It doesn't, nor was it used for that purpose.

Last edited:
That's literally me, dude.
Proof?

They indeed aren't necessarily canon. But nothing about the map suggests it should be taken literally as a physical map regardless. Authors can help inform what we already have on the page. In the context of many Grant Morrison interviews, however, people use them to add things that are completely absent from the story.
But the cosmogram of DC we call its "Map of the Multiverse" literally describes itself anyway, and depicts/describes the Sphere of the Gods and its worlds as higher vibratory realms above and beyond the Bleedspace, which was agreed by consensus to be 5-D/Low 1-C.

No, it isn't. My question was about the 6th Dimension, but the quote I referenced was indeed about the map itself.

I was talking to him about it and I want to visualize the map and hes like the map is always such a pain in the ass because none of it would be spatial or time based.

This portion isn't exclusive to the 6th Dimension, and disproves the notion that the best way to interpret the map is by taking it as a literal physical representation of these realms, which is counter intuitive regardless, since several of these realms literally aren't physical
And that part was contextualized with "there really isn't a way to do a map when you're talking about a realm that's beyond imagination". Scott Snyder isn't talking about the "map" itself, he's talking about the "Sixth Dimension" in relation to the map.

For what reason would Grant Morrison have any particular difficulty visualizing a basic, two-dimensional cosmogram that he literally drew himself? Such a thing would be incoherent and nonsensical.

It doesn't, nor was it used for that purpose.
Okay, so what's the problem then? There's no reason for the Hal Jordan Spectre to not be at least Low 1-C, as far as I'm concerned.

Short of creating an audio recording showing you that it's my voice, not sure how I would. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, so I'm not going to go to the trouble.

But the cosmogram of DC we call its "Map of the Multiverse" literally describes itself anyway
Yes, but that doesn't necessitate that the proportions and locations are literal. The authors don't see it that way, it doesn't make sense to view it that way, ergo, that's it.

depicts/describes the Sphere of the Gods and its worlds as higher vibratory realms above and beyond the Bleedspace, which
Being outside the Bleed space should not, by default, be considered 1-C. The basis for Bleedspace being that high is 5 dimensions. Yet many of the realms in the Sphere are considered conceptual/metaphysical. Therefore they cannot scale to a physical construct.

really isn't a way to do a map when you're talking about a realm that's beyond imagination". Scott Snyder isn't talking about the "map" itself, he's talking about the "Sixth Dimension" in relation to the map.

For what reason would Grant Morrison have any particular difficulty visualizing a basic, two-dimensional cosmogram that he literally drew himself? Such a thing would be incoherent and nonsensical
Grant Morrison said it himself. Are you saying his own opinion of his own map is incoherent and nonsensical? He literally explained it.

hes like the map is always such a pain in the ass because none of it would be spatial or time based

Okay, so what's the problem then? There's no reason for the Hal Jordan Spectre to not be at least Low 1-C, as far as I'm concerned.
The problem is that the only evidence provided so far is "Heaven is outside the Bleed so it's Low 1-C" which is a non sequitur, and "the Sphere encompasses the multiverse therefore realms within it are Low 1-C" which is a non sequitur

And my personal favorite, "New Genesis was said to contain the Orrery flying in the face of established cosmology, and since Heaven is also in the Sphere it should be just as big" which is -- you guessed it -- a non-sequitur.

The problem is there's no real evidence. Just assumptions and leaps in logic.

Deagonx, I appreciate that you are trying to help out, but I hope that you will be on board with our overall cosmology revision, not suddenly start to try to significantly downgrade it. We just don't want to stack contradictory cosmologies of different authors on top of each other. That's it. Concepts that have been established by themselves are perfectly fine.

I hope that you will be on board with our overall cosmology revision, not suddenly start to try to significantly downgrade it
I will be on board. I have my reservations and personal opinions and have made them clear, but I don't intend to cause a scene when the revisions start.

I will be on board. I have my reservations and personal opinions and have made them clear, but I don't intend to cause a scene when the revisions start.
If SOG will be passed as Low 1-C anyway then why try downgrade it now? Makes no sense.

Short of creating an audio recording showing you that it's my voice, not sure how I would. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, so I'm not going to go to the trouble.
Then why even claim that it's you, if you're not actually going to verify it?

Yes, but that doesn't necessitate that the proportions and locations are literal. The authors don't see it that way, it doesn't make sense to view it that way, ergo, that's it.
I think you're missing the point here. The Fourth World, the afterlife, the dreamworlds, and the mythic realms are depicted as being on the same general level of existence (the Sphere of the Gods), irrespective of whether they are literally physically next to each other or not. That's the whole point.

Each "god world" and it's inhabitants are beyond the 5-D Bleedspace, so we give them a Low 1-C rating at minimum. It's simple.

Grant Morrison said it himself. Are you saying his own opinion of his own map is incoherent and nonsensical? He literally explained it.

hes like the map is always such a pain in the ass because none of it would be spatial or time based
You're misinterpreting the statement. The map itself is just a 2-D cosmogram. It's literally just circles within circles. Anyone can visualize it after looking at it for ten seconds at most. There's also the fact that the Map of the Multiverse contains the Bleed and the Orrery of Worlds, structures that are literally "spatial or time based" in any comic they're mentioned or depicted in, which make such an interpretation of Grant Morrison's statement (as relayed by Scott Snyder) doubly absurd.

Grant Morrison was talking about the map in the hypothetical situation of it attempting to depict the "Sixth Dimension" which is "beyond imagination". If Grant Morrison was talking about the Map of the Multiverse itself being "a pain in the ass" to visualize, then the statement would indeed be incoherent and nonsensical, and therefore trivial to discard. But he's not. Clumsy wording (from Scott) aside, Grant is clearly talking about the Sixth Dimension.

As for the rest of your arguments, Antvasima already addressed them, do there's no need to go through them myself.

Deagonx, I appreciate that you are trying to help out, but I hope that you will be on board with our overall cosmology revision, not suddenly start to try to significantly downgrade it. We just don't want to stack contradictory cosmologies of different authors on top of each other. That's it. Concepts that have been established by themselves are perfectly fine.
So what's the holdup on allowing the Hal Jordan Spectre to be given a Low 1-C rating again?

It's agreed on by the majority of both regular users and staff members in this thread, and I'm more than willing to edit the page myself.

Then why even claim that it's you, if you're not actually going to verify it?
You are saying, why tell the truth that a video I created is mine, if I am not willing to create a separate voice recording to authenticate it? Because it's the truth.

Better question, why did you accuse me of lying in the first place? What would I have to gain by lying about it? What matter is that it is Scott Snyder's words, not that I was the person eh was speaking to.

I think you're missing the point here. The Fourth World, the afterlife, the dreamworlds, and the mythic realms are depicted as being on the same general level of existence (the Sphere of the Gods), irrespective of whether they are literally physically next to each other or not. That's the whole point.
"General level of existence" is a very vague notion and does not guarantee that every realm in the Sphere is equal to each other. That's a massive assumption with little to no evidence besides your intuition.

You're misinterpreting the statement. The map itself is just a 2-D cosmogram. It's literally just circles within circles. Anyone can visualize it after looking at it for ten seconds at most. There's also the fact that the Map of the Multiverse contains the Bleed and the Orrery of Worlds, structures that are literally "spatial or time based" in any comic they're mentioned or depicted in, which make such an interpretation of Grant Morrison's statement (as relayed by Scott Snyder) doubly absurd.
No, I'm not. You are performing mental gymnastics to deny what was literally told to us. I asked Scott about placing a realm in relation to the map, and the very first caveat he gave me -- direct from Grant Morrison -- was that placing things on the map is a pain because none of it is spatial or time based.

He's obviously not claiming that none of these realms have space or time, but rather their placement on the map is not correlated to actual spatial positioning relative to each other. Apokolips is not "West" of the Orrery, and New Genesis is not "East." The map is not literal, there's several reasons not to take it literally or to use it for scaling as was attempted in this thread.

Grant Morrison was talking about the map in the hypothetical situation of it attempting to depict the "Sixth Dimension" which is "beyond imagination".
No he wasn't. The quote from Grant had nothing to do with the Sixth Dimension. Literally just read the quote.

Snyder was not asking Grant about the Sixth Dimension, he was asking about visualizing the map, and Grant responded that the map is a pain because it isn't spatial or time based. After that it's Scott's own words, now directly responding to my question.

Grant says "the map is always such a pain because none of it would be spatial or time based."

This statement obviously is not limited to the Sixth Dimension, and I have already given several other explanations for why it is not logical to take the map literally, which you have dodged for some reason.

As for the rest of your arguments, Antvasima already addressed them, do there's no need to go through them myself.
Antvasima did not address any of my arguments.

So what's the holdup on allowing the Hal Jordan Spectre to be given a Low 1-C rating again?

It's agreed on by the majority of both regular users and staff members in this thread, and I'm more than willing to edit the page myself.
Just the small itsy bitsy detail that there's no evidence for it. Sandman demonstrated with the Asmodel scans that the logical basis was lacking. No one has even explained how or why Spectre would scale to the entirety of heaven even if it actually was Low 1-C, et cetera.

because hell is equal to heaven in size,
How is Hell being equated in size to Heaven?

You said: Hell is comparable to heaven in size, both have infinite souls each with their own universe but that's not all.

The first scan says there are Neigborhoods/worlds/universes for each soul in Heaven, but it never claims it is infinite. The second scan echos a similar sentiment for Hell "there are as many hells as there are souls in creation" but also never calls them infinite.

And I want to draw attention to a specific part of the second scan, and another scan from the same storyline as the first scan:

Phantom Stranger describes the realms of Heaven and Hell as "states of consciousness" rather than actual places.

The narration in the second scan says it is "not a place, but a state of mind."

So I am not actually seeing scans that call either of them infinite, or equate them in size, and there are two scans that discount the idea that these are literal places rather than states of mind.

Specter managed to affect all areas of it
Okay, but putting out a multiverse-sized fire and actually destroying an infinite multiverse are two very different things. I don't think he should be Low 1-C simply for "affecting" all of Hell.

How is Hell being equated in size to Heaven?

You said: Hell is comparable to heaven in size, both have infinite souls each with their own universe but that's not all.

The first scan says there are Neigborhoods/worlds/universes for each soul in Heaven, but it never claims it is infinite. The second scan echos a similar sentiment for Hell "there are as many hells as there are souls in creation" but also never calls them infinite.

And I want to draw attention to a specific part of the second scan, and another scan from the same storyline as the first scan:

Phantom Stranger describes the realms of Heaven and Hell as "states of consciousness" rather than actual places.

The narration in the second scan says it is "not a place, but a state of mind."

So I am not actually seeing scans that call either of them infinite, or equate them in size, and there are two scans that discount the idea that these are literal places rather than states of mind.
Ak1AH6z.jpg
(JLA: Paradise Lost #1)
17uMTqT.png
(Sandman Vol 2 #23)
here, but you're right about Hell and heaven not are physical realms

Okay, those scans make a good argument for Hell and Heaven being equal, but I maintain the other objections which are equally important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back