• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dark Souls Revisions (part 1): The Bearer of the Curse profile update

So I did a revision on the Bearer of the Curses profile, which you can see below:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Hippoishungry/Sandbox:_Dark_Souls_2

Summary of changes:

Powers and abilities:

New key:

So I created a new key called 'Beginning of game', and everything that is in this key takes place from things betwixt to the pursuer boss fight in the forest of fallen giants

The reason for this was that the crestfallen knight recommends the forest of fallen giants as the place you should go first, rather than the tower of Heide. It also felt a little weird having the bearer in the same tier as everlasting dragons right at the start of the game, and the only time we actually get confirmed information that a boss is superior to everlasting dragons is after the Old Dragonslayer bossfight - who explicitly shattered the dragons stone scales with his spear.

Obviously, with a new key comes new statistics

New Statistics:

Small Building level - Based off this calculation by Sir Ovens (Check the comments)

Subsonic - This is based of the bearer being able to dodge arrows and crossbow bolts easily. That being said if anyone has any early game Calcs that reach a higher value I would be happy to include them

Class M - Based of this Calc of the last giant ripping its arm off. It hasn't been accepted yet, but hopefully it will in this thread

Miscellaneous Changes:

Scaling to the chosen undead - A couple of the bearers ratings (Notably, their second key lifting strength and speed) come from scaling to the Chosen Undead. This is because in the early to mid game of dark souls 1, the Chosen Undead clearly isn't on the same level as everlasting dragons, hence why their tier is lower. Because the bearer is capable of defeating foes who scale above the everlasting dragons, they should naturally scale above an early game chosen undead as well.

Range upgrades - A couple of spells are said to be able to chase their targets to the end of the earth, so I put a possibly far higher for the bearers range

Profile formatting - Changed the powers and abilities section into one that is scrollable, and separated the abilities into keys instead of having them as a composite

Voting:

Agree: Shmeatywerbenmanjenson, Mr Cinos15, Mr Bambu (with everything else), Sir Ovens (Same as Mr Bambu), Chariot190 (with everything else)

Disagree: Mr Bambu (With power mimicry, time travel, low-mid regen [agrees with changed to mid-low], telepathy, spatial manip [change it to power nullification], reality warping, Resistance to: Biological manip, body puppetry, statistics reduction, power nullification and fate manip), Sir Ovens (Same as Mr Bambu, in addition to chosen undead scaling), Chariot190 (With power mimicry, time travel, Resistance to: biological manip, body puppetry)

Neutral: Mr Bambu (With scaling to the chosen undead and resistance to acid manip)

Last edited:
Some cursory opinions

Power Mimicry is pretty vague, since we have no idea what those actual words in the stories are- there's a chance that they give detailed enough descriptions to just... actually teach the person how to do those things. I wouldn't default to an ability the character otherwise doesn't display. Time Travel is also a no-go for me since this is moreso a trait of where they are than an ability they personally possess. The rest of the base looks fine, surprised some of this isn't on there already.

As long as we note that these damage resistances are extremely minor by default, then I have no problem with noting them. Magic damage only, and it's only generally a fraction of the damage dealt for all of these. Soul Manip is perfectly fine, Petrification is weird but also fine. I don't think "bleeding" can really be classified as "biological manipulation". If Iron Flesh actually does that it's fine, as long as we're noting that they only have said resistance with that spell cast. Dance of Fire does not seem to actually force people to dance- I had to look up a video on it. I'm going to say no to that one as a result. I think Hollowing can be left to just memory and madness manip rather than the other stuff, especially since the Bearer absolutely is affected by statistics reduction in the form of reduced health.

Ring of Restoration should probably just be reduced to Mid-Low, since it's just a slow gradual heal and the Bearer is undead. You'd either mark the Ring of Whispers as ESP or Telepathy- they aren't exactly reaching out to the other person's mind or reading their deepest inner thoughts, so I'd be inclined to call it Extrasensory Perception over Telepathy. I don't think the human effigy is necessarily spatial manipulation, but I don't know what else I'd call it. Everything else here in the early game segment seems fine.

I have no problems with your mid game proposals, with perhaps a note that the Immersion thing isn't really manipulating memories, and that it seems to be specific items, rather than any item.

I would want specific evidence of them doing reality warping, rather than assuming that to be a standard. I don't think there is evidence of that. The fate resistance is also extremely vague, so I would be against it.

I'm offended you said "This calculation by Sir Ovens" and then referenced my part of the calc smh. 9-A is fine to use, though, yes. Subsonic is... probably fine, but I'd like you to link a calc.

Your Class M calc is unevaluated so cannot be used at this time, 'pologies.

Neutral on scaling to Chosen Undead. "possibly far higher" is probably fine for range- it's almost certain that they don't literally mean thousands of kilometers range for these spells, but I think the implication of higher range is there, yes.

I hate the modernization of profile P&As but it's just a stylistic choice ig.

Power Mimicry is pretty vague, since we have no idea what those actual words in the stories are- there's a chance that they give detailed enough descriptions to just... actually teach the person how to do those things. I wouldn't default to an ability the character otherwise doesn't display.
Fair enough

Time Travel is also a no-go for me since this is moreso a trait of where they are than an ability they personally possess.
Yeah, that makes sense

I don't think "bleeding" can really be classified as "biological manipulation".
Yeah, I guess I can agree with this. I suppose that most enemies only make blood loss easier via having sharp blades and whatnot rather than actually making the bearer bleed supernaturally

If Iron Flesh actually does that it's fine, as long as we're noting that they only have said resistance with that spell cast.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding here, but I wasn't implying that the bearer has corrosion resistance with specifically the iron flesh spell. Basically, the acid surge spell can corrode through equipment, but has no effect on the bearer of the curse. Now normally, you wouldn't give the bearer resistance as it might just be a weakness of the spell being unable to corrode flesh. However, the spell still has no effect on the bearer even after they turn their flesh into the same material that the spell can corrode (that being iron), hence implying that they have a resistance

Dance of Fire does not seem to actually force people to dance- I had to look up a video on it. I'm going to say no to that one as a result.
Oh yeah, than one was definitely more of a lore thing than a gameplay thing. That being said, I suppose you can either take it literally or hyperbolically, but given the lack of evidence I can agree to this as well

I think Hollowing can be left to just memory and madness manip rather than the other stuff, especially since the Bearer absolutely is affected by statistics reduction in the form of reduced health.
Makes sense. Also, would you be opposed to me adding limited resistance to statistic reduction on the bearers early to mid game key based off the Binding Ring? I wasn't going to add it because it would have being redundant, but if statistics reduction is rejected it would actually become relevant

Ring of Restoration should probably just be reduced to Mid-Low, since it's just a slow gradual heal and the Bearer is undead.
Even if it is a slow heal, I still think the regeneration should be Low-Mid. Based of what I've seen from other profiles, the level of regeneration is determined by what the user can regenerate from, rather than the length of time it takes them to regenerate. While it does take the bearer a while, at the end of the day they still return to full hp - implying that they fully recover from any wounds instead of just carrying on with a hole in their chest

You'd either mark the Ring of Whispers as ESP or Telepathy- they aren't exactly reaching out to the other person's mind or reading their deepest inner thoughts, so I'd be inclined to call it Extrasensory Perception over Telepathy.
Fair enough

I don't think the human effigy is necessarily spatial manipulation, but I don't know what else I'd call it.
Perhaps either resistance to dimensional travel or dimensional travel nullification?

with perhaps a note that the Immersion thing isn't really manipulating memories, and that it seems to be specific items, rather than any item.
For the specific items thing, I suppose it could be entering a significant memory of the person who owned that item? for instance, someone would obviously have more memories of a necklace given by a loved one rather than a random pen they own. It would make sense given that the ashen hearts whole schtick is entering memories, and also gets around the annoying fact that items don't have memories of their own

I would want specific evidence of them doing reality warping, rather than assuming that to be a standard
Yeah, I was generally assuming that it was the standard because the soul description mentions "even after I has been reduced to remnants", implying that the power of the soul is what causes the reality warping. That being said, I can defiantly see where you are coming from there

The fate resistance is also extremely vague, so I would be against it.
Really? Tbh I would have though that "One who might shatter the shackles of fate" is a pretty explicit statement imo, but personally I wouldn't be opposed to a possibly rating for this one

I'm offended you said "This calculation by Sir Ovens" and then referenced my part of the calc smh. 9-A is fine to use, though, yes. Subsonic is... probably fine, but I'd like you to link a calc.
Sorry Lmao

Your Class M calc is unevaluated so cannot be used at this time, 'pologies.
Yeah, I though this thread would gain a lot more traction and a wandering calc group member would evaluate it, but it seems I have severely overestimated the popularity of dark souls 2 lol

Oh. I'm neutral on your point regarding Iron Flesh, then. I just don't know mechanically how they'd add it, and whether there's enough difference. It may be that the weakness of the acid surge spell is that it can affect relatively thin armor, but our bodies are simply too thick. Conversely, I'm fairly sure that they would have thought of this interaction, and could have added health drain or something if they wanted to- I have no idea, so neutral, for me.

Adding the Blinding Ring as a limited form of stat reduction resistance is fine, definitely, yeah.

Low-Mid is reserved for loss of limbs or otherwise traditionally lethal wounds. However, as an Undead, being impaled is not traditionally portrayed as being typically lethal. I would hesitate to call basic Regen Low-Mid without further evidence as a result.

Rather than resistance to dimensional travel, I'd call it power nullification.

I think items have to be historically important, would be my guess. While it's obvious that they wouldn't allow you to enter the memories of every creature's corpse just due to the absurd development cost of that, the choice to make Vendrick's armor the only object with a memory seems extremely deliberate.

Yeah sorry, I'd remain opposed to fate resist unless something more explicit comes up.

Also yeah **** Dark Souls 2, most disappointed I've ever been for forty dollars, minus that one time in Vegas.

most disappointed I've ever been for forty dollars, minus that one time in Vegas.
20230719_192853.jpg

In agreement with Bambu sans the scaling to Chosen Undead bit.

Chosen is special even amongst Undead, he shouldn't be the one to set the standard for all of them. Plus, Bearer is even more of a nobody than Chosen. Hollowing actively affects him. There has to be a better way to scale him for mid and end game.

In agreement with Bambu sans the scaling to Chosen Undead bit.

Chosen is special even amongst Undead, he shouldn't be the one to set the standard for all of them. Plus, Bearer is even more of a nobody than Chosen. Hollowing actively affects him. There has to be a better way to scale him for mid and end game.
I mean, isnt it a thing that the shards of Manus' soul are stronger than him?

...but nobody came.

Anyways

@Sir_Ovens you, other less-cool Souls guy, come rq
Nah I read it, just contemplating if some of that shit I agree with or not like time travel, like yeah it happens, but is that really on them? Or more a fault of the location they're in? type of thing

Power Mimicry (Able to use miracles after reading mere tales of them being used by the gods)
I'm not sure, we don't know if they're even "hard" to use in context, it might just be as easy as knowing they exist and making use of practical knowledge. Honestly way too vague to give power mimicry, especially because they read about it too tbh.
Time Travel
Yeah it do be a thing, but that's more due to where he is, not any power of his own. It'd be like giving Goku Time Manip because he can train in the ROSAT.
Biological Manipulation (Has an innate resistance to bleeding effects. Can resist attacks which increase blood loss such as the Darkstalker's swings and the Stray Hound's bites)
Tbh, don't we have blood manip? Could just list it as that, though it is kinda fucky, it's basically just clotting good. If you really wanna list it tho I'd say blood manip and clarify it a bit more.
Madness Manipulation and Memory Manipulation (Type 2, Can constantly switch between Human and Hollow with no ill effects, and is noted as having an abnormally high resistance to Hollowfication which allows them to maintain their sanity and free will even as a full Hollow, when nearly every other person who has gone Hollow is depicted as having parts of their memories erased after each death until they are driven mad and lose their free will.) / Statistics Reduction and Power Nullification via resisting Hollowing (Hollowing reduces even the mightiest warriors to dessicated corpses and the Darksign failed to completely suppress the Dark Soul)
Add scans to this one.
Accelerated Development (Can spend absorbed souls to grow stronger)
Should mention he needs a bit of help to do that.
Teleportation (Can travel between any bonfire that has been previously lit. This include bonfires that are in different points of time or in different dimensions)
This is good, but add Limited to it given it's, well, limited to bonfires.
Body Puppetry (The bearer is capable of resisting the effects of the pyromancy Dance of Fire, which makes its victims dance with it)
pretty sure this is figurative in how being lit on fire tends to cause sporadic movements

The rest I'm fine or neutral with.

Alright, so given its been almost a week with no further contentions I'm going to wait for a few hours and then start applying the changes that were accepted by Mr bambu and Sir ovens

Back