• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Daemon Prince Magnus the Red vs Advent Children Sephiroth

Bump.

@Gar: Probably Seph i think. Last i check, he's scaled from an attack he did that's either in the Kilo or Mega Foe range. Can't remember. Magnus as he is in the current tiers is supposed to be higher and stronger than his old Primarch self days, which is comparable to his brothers like Sanguinius who did....well quite a surprising amount of things thanks to Matt's good (chaotic) will to finding feats for the verse.

All i got from him is that stuff like these guys are above baseline 4-B. To what extent is always the question i wish Azzy was able to properly answer but...can't be a bad guy on forcing others to answer so...

Anyways, what's your pick here?

I know he's 3 Megfoe, but Magnus I'm unsure about.

I may go with Sephiroth, I feel he has far more ways of winning through sheer AP, Death Spell, or a simple time stop. Or just a combination of he three.

That's literally what i said....more or less though but the idea is the same.

Alright, that's 1 then for Seph.

Doesn't need to be said more than once if one can say it generally but whatever, there's a vote here.

Sephiroth probabily has the AP advantage but Magnus is far above in hax. He could time stop, slow down time, mindfuck, soulfuck, create illusions, teleport him into the Warp, nullify Steph's powers, or transmute him into dust.

Although it is possible that Sephiroth has Resistance to a lot of those. Too lazy to check profile.

@Matt: The only thing i found Sephiroth has resistance to is Soul Manipulation.

Here:

"Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Managed to retain his own consciousness while drowned in the countless souls found within the Lifestream)" -Seph's page.

That's all he can resist as far as it says and go. But he does have similar hax like Magnus does. Though it all depends on each others potency, type, and use of it like the mind hax one which he...doesn;t have any resistance to...

Sephiroth seems to have the ap advantage as he easily overpower Cloud, who defeated Safer Sephiroth before who was already in the MegaFoe range, with little to no effort even while holding back and might have some resistance to Magnus' hax along with having his own hax to counter Magnus'. So I vote for the One Winged Angel.

Probably Magnus. I don't remember very many of Seph's displayed resistances, but considering Magnus does this to a group of walkers specifically designed to be resistant to his powerset with a literal passing glare, it'd have to be pretty damn good to stop Magnus from spamming ridiculous spells, which is very much a thing he does.

"Through that sea of daemonic terror waded no less than five Nemesis Dreadknights of Titan. Built to fight the kings of the Immaterium on equal terms, the pilots of the giant walkers made short work of the cackling rabble massing around them. Moving in rough lockstep, the Grey Knights piloting the Dreadknights from their harnesses stamped and crushed with their silvered exoskeletons even as they slew with rune-etched blades and heavy psycannons. The Horrors threw every possible change-spell and flame-curse they could muster, but their magic found no purchase on the blessed metal of the Dreadknights.

In their success against the Daemon hordes, they drew the attention of Magnus, and thereby sealed their doom. A mind-altering blur of colours shot out from the Crimson King's cyclopean eye. The beam of Warp energy was so concentrated that it could not be constrained to a single dimension, and a thousand tiny familiar-spirits flew outward and into the heavens as the beam carved across the battle line. In its grievous potency it annihilated Daemons and Dreadknights alike. With a single pass of his bloodshot orb, Magnus had wreaked the most fundamental of changes upon his challengers. Where four heroes of the Imperium had strode to meet him, now there was only scorched air and the lingering echo of screams. The fifth Dreadknight, their leader, was not so lucky. He had been transformed into a giant of bone and silvered cogs; the pilot was now little more than a demented marionette, jerked aloft by his own bloody sinews from his machine's pistoning fingers.
" - Warzone Fenris: Wrath of Magnus

Sephiroth should take this via being resistant to a good chunk of Magnus' hax, and having more hax that Magnus isn't resistant to, like time manipulation and OHK.

Is he more resistant to his hax than a squad of blessed machines specifically designed to be resistant to Magnus' exact powerset? Because if he's not, he's not nearly resistant enough for it to start making a difference.

If being resistant to every Materia's effect in all of the planet counts as that, then yeah. Not to mention Magnus doesn't have any resistance to any of Seph-dog's hax from what I can see.

Then that's definitely not enough.

As a rule of thumb, if someone like Magnus or Ahriman has a power, they are also able to resist or counter said power. It's pretty standard for any actually relevant psyker in 40k. Especially someone of Magnus/Ahriman's levels.

How do you know that's not enough? Also Sephiroth isn't from Warkammer, so that logic doesn't apply to him, not to mention he's FAR stronger than Ahriman.

Because we've seen multiple instances of Magnus going up against blessed Dreadknights, created with the very specific purpose of being able to shrug off Chaos-related powers and unnatural abilities, and reducing them to nothing with but a passing glance or casual gesture. We've also seen him directly confront entire groups of blanks, a single one of whom is enough to cause 99% of other psykers to shut down and die, and win with only minor annoyance to show from it.

How does the logic of a character being able to counter or resist certain powers they can produce not apply because Sephiroth isn't a Warhammer 40k character?

I never said that his resistance shouldn't be applied to a non-Warhammer character. I just disagree with the idea that just because they have a certain power, they should be resistant to said power unless proven otherwise.

By the sounds of things, Magnus seems to heavily outclass Sephiroth in hax, so I'm probably going to be leaning towards the Warhammer 40K character.

Going with Magnus. Magnus simply out haxes Sephiroth. Even with all of Sephiroth's resistances, which Magnus can more than likely brush aside, Magnus has a deeper well to draw upon and can counter what Sephiroth throws his.

Not too mention that Magnus has exceptional Precog and will what Seph's going to do several times over.

I honsetly see Seph putting up a bit of a fight but Magnus will take this far more often than he doesn't.

Theglassman12 said:
I just disagree with the idea that just because they have a certain power, they should be resistant to said power unless proven otherwise.
It's an actual mechanic for psykers in 40k. Hell, it's an actual mechanic for people who aren't psykers. It's not like it applies to every verse, but if your verse has a canon mechanic of "I'm going to straight up will your attack out of existence", it's not like it suddenly stops applying in all other circumstances.

Theglassman12 said:
Mechanic? Don't you mean game mechanic, which shouldn't apply to vs matches?
No, I mean mechanic of the setting itself. As in, will and faith being tangible things that have real-world effects. As in, "My will and ability is greater than yours, thus I will your powers into not working" being an actual thing that can and has happened.

Question, can someone with immense willpower resist something like that "will and faith" thing?

Depends on who and what they are. For instance, the Tau, while not quite psychic blanks, have no real powers to speak of and also can't manifest their will on a similar level.

On the other hand, you have stuff like the Black Templars Space Marine chapter. While the whole chapter has no Librarians/psykers among their ranks, they are still adept at combatting them, since they can turn their will into an anti-psyker force. This is quite literally just something like a wonky chaos psyker being like "Ooooh I'm going to stop time/turn you to jelly/blow up this city", but then the Black Templars just go "Well you're stupid and I hate you" and then believe so hard that the psyker's powers start fizzling.

...It kinda involves a lot of latent psyker stuff and is usually pretty racially/faction dependent.

Would someone like Vegeta or Link fit into that category, since its stated that they have immense willpower in their profiles?

Back