• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

CTR for Etherion Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnonymousBlank said:
I answered that in the very first post. Occam's razor. Back when those statements were made, Veronica had never been introduced and the only countries that had were mentioned or shown are the size of Fiore. So please tell us why? Why on on earth would we use a countr- apolgies city that is smaller than the home town of the main characters?
even back then, they never stated that it would destroy Fiore or Cael-Um, just that it was the only thing that can destroy a large structure like the ToH, and that it would cause an incident with the nation it is part of. Just because it was not introduced does not make it officially cannon to the story.

But your whole arguement revolves around them refering to Veronica which simply didn't exist back then, so your essentailly ignoring author intent.

CNBA3 said:
They made a reference that they would be attacking Cael-Um soil when attacking the Tower of Heaven, they made no reference that it would destroy the entire nation, and that is much larger than Fiore, they explicitly stated that Etherion is the only thing that can destroy a structure of such size. Planet's are not all made equal, besides Pluto is not a planet for a long time. I am not sure what you mean for the second part, but it is much more reasonable, with both statements in the manga, details depictions and the cacl to show would make it much more feasable to use than assuming something that we don't know is possible.
OK. Do you think a planet busting claim refers to Mercury when it's made? Why would a weapon stated specifically to destroy entire countries in a single blow suddenly be unable to destroy the country that's the main focus of the story for quite a while? I highly doubt the council was bluffing either considering the repeated claims of destroying countries made about Etherion in both the manga and anime.

And no, we don't always take the absolute most low-balled end possible when it completely contradicts both the story, context and basic common sense. There's no reason to assume that the council was talking about Veronica when making known the fact that the weapon they planned to use in a conflict that heavily involved Fiore would destroy a country.

Anyway I'm done trying to convince you. I'll let the more knowledgeable users do it.

Zackra1799 said:
But your whole arguement revolves around them refering to Veronica which simply didn't exist back then, so your essentailly ignoring author intent.
My whole argument is not to assume that something that didn't happen (believing that Etherion can destroy Fiore) and consider it as fact, when we have an actual showing which begs to differ, I am saying that Veronica is a better point of reference to use.

Using a later introduced nation to justify a downgrade when nothing implies this retcon affects Etherion is assuming Mashima not only thought on Veronica when he first created the story but he was also referring to it when he mentioned Etherion.

Ignoring that the average is around Fiore's size, and Veronica is the outlier here. You are allowed to use that word now, so you know.

I'll close this as the discussion has been settled and it's going on circles now.

Its attacking Caelum soil because the Tower of Heaven is built on an island belonging to them. If the US decided to drop a bomb on an uninhabited island in Canada, that is an attack on Canadian soil despite it being some random island in the middle of nowhere. The meaning behind everyone's words is so clear on what they refer to but you need to perform olympic level mental gymnastics to come to a conclusion that is still laughably wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back