• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cross-Universe Scaling (Same Author)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
Hello my fellow lovely staff. I remember talking with SomebodyData about this on another thread but it wasn't the place for it. I don't believe we should scale characters to others from a different story and the universes are unrelated just because they were written by the same author unless the powerscaling is consistent and comes from a crossover. I don't see why we would guage characters by scaling them to another character from a different universe just because the author said so. An example is Reinhard Heydrich who is scaled to the gods summoned by Amakasu Masahiko. Yes, both characters come from stories written by the same author but the universes they come from are unrealted outside of a small Dies Irae reference in Senshinkan (that had nothing to do with Reinhard vs Amakasu btw). But all we have to justify this is that the write, Masada himself, said so, on Twitter if I'm not mistaken. There is nothing that supports the scaling. If Reinhard and Amakasu fought then we'd have something to go by.

Now this is a matter of circumstance. So this may not apply to everything. For example, could Nintendo characters could scale from one another?

Do you all think characters can be scaled to those from a different universe as long as both works are by the same writer? Or should we omit this depending on the circumstance.

STAFF ONLY THREAD. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY

If the same author makes then fight, is because he/she knows that they are equals

But I think that is case by case

For example, we have the "RAVE x Fairy Tail Special", were Natsu fights Haru and Gray fights Musica

The problem is that RAVE was ended before the the beggining of Fairy Tail, so there no real way to know which version of Haru is being use

If the universes are connected by statements/elements and etc. than yes, if not then it will not be applied.

Well, at least on the bit about Reinhard, Masada made several comparisons of the two characters (Reinhard and Amakasu) but...I don't really know if we should allow this type of powerscaling based off a Word of God statement alone. Authors make outlierish statements all the time. Remember the "Caius Ballad is the strongest Final Fantasy villain"? I am sure that we know that already, so why we do accept it for powerscaling?

@Dark649 That's if the universes are connected. This is if they are unrelated. As Aiden said, we can have problems just like the Rave Master x Fairy Tail one.

We have an explicit rule that forbids scaling via crossovers between different franchises. Even if they have the same author, their power levels will be adjusted in relation to each other for plot convenience purposes.

Yeah for crossovers, but what about a word of god from an interview or Twitter that says "Character A is as strong as Character B"?

If it is a statement about a character that is not originally the author's own creation, we ignore it.

If both are works by the same author it is more uncertain, and should probably be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, regarding whether or not the scaling makes sense from what has been stated and shown. It could still be hyperbole, or the author not realising how powerful he/she made a certain character, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back