• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Crocodile Sand Storm's Revision

Stefano4444

He/Him
CinCameron20 in his calculation has disregarde the 5 kilometers bomb, saying that it can only applies to the explosion of a bomb and that is shouldn't have been used to scale Alubarna.

However the problem is that by having Alubarna with just a diameter of just 3.150 kilometers would mean that the entire city would have been destroyed in the process, which wouldn't make sense as Crocodile wanted to rule the country as king and he didn't have any reason to wipe out the entire capital.

In fact the bomb was been speficially made to wipe out both rebels and loyalists and that it would have been fired inside the plaza, so to eliminate any form of opposition in Alabasta, it wasn't made to destroy the entire city or something like that.

Because of this, the bomb's blast must have been just large enough to kill rebels and loyalists but not to destroy the entire Alubarna, which means the plaza itself, where the fights between factions were happening, must have been around a comparable diameter to the bomb's blast.

With that in mind, we can just compare the entire city with the plaza by using this sca, as Alubarna here is likely drawn at 1:1 scale, and even by a quick look (without the need of pixer scaling) the city's diameter would be about 4 times the plaza, putting Alubarna at around 20 kms in diameter.

Original Alubarna's Diameter: 3150.73032804 meters or 3.15073032804 kilometers.

20/3.15073032804 = 6.34773463 times the size.

Original Crocodile's Sand-Storm: 5.8783202e+15 Joules or 1.405 Megatons of TNT.

6.34773463*1.405 = 8.91856716 Megatons of TNT.

Now, this was just a quick redone of the calculation and the true result will be vastly different since i didn't pixer scaling the entire scan and only at naked eye, but the result should be more or less around that level.

And more important, the sand storm was create casually and itwas done so that Vivi's voicecouldn't be heardby rebels and royalistsand the sand storm remained active until his defeat, that suggest that Crocodile didn't used most of his power or at minimum just half of his strength for create the sand storm and maintain it for that long.

Shouldn't you make a blog post about this calc and get it evaluated?

After a few failed tentative, i have capable to (more or less) properly pixer scaling the city of Alubarna and this was the result i have got.
Alubarna
Alubarna's Plaza = 115 pixels.

Half of Alubarna = 312 pixels.

Alubarna = 312*2 = 624 pixels.

624/115 = 5.42608696.

Alubarna's Diameter = 5.42608696*5 = 27.1304348 kilometers.

Original Alubarna's Diameter = 3.15073032804 kilometers.

27.1304348/3.15073032804 = 8.61084002.

Crocodile's Sandstorm = 8.61084002*1.405 = 12.0982302 Megatons of TNT.

Now, this is my first time in using the pixer scaling method, so for i know this could be wrong.

I'm not in a position at the moment to evaluate the scaling involved here, but on first glance on that image, it seems ike that would make all of the buildings in the city hundreds of meters across which doesn't seem very believable.

It's possible that the 5km figure isn't the best thing to use.

Damage3245 said:
I'm not in a position at the moment to evaluate the scaling involved here, but on first glance on that image, it seems ike that would make all of the buildings in the city hundreds of meters across which doesn't seem very believable.
I see your point, but then again most buildings on the city seen to be fairly big in the Manga and the Special, many of them seen to be as big as palaces.

And is very possible that those buildings are more like condominiums, where more than one family live in the upper levels, while shops and etc. are located to ground level.

Crocodile Sand Storm
Alubarne Grande Place
AlubarnaSpecial
Not ti say you're wrong, but that it is possible that the buildings are just that big.

That is possible, yeah. I'll have to reread the Alabasta Arc and see if there are additional useful panels for scaling the size of the city.

Anyway, i have made a mistake, Alubarna is placed in a plateau, is not surrounded huge earth formations like Dressrosa, so i have remade the calculation.

Alubarna2.0
Alubarna's Plaza (Shorter Line) = 128 pixels = 5 kilometers.
Half of Alubarna (Longer Line) = 300 pixels.

Alubarna = 300*2 = 600 pixels.

300/128 = 4.6875.

Alubarna's Diameter = 4.6875*5 = 23.4375 kilometers.

Original Alubarna's Diameter = 3.15073032804 kilometers.

23.4375/3.15073032804 = 7.43875151.

Crocodile's Sandstorm = 7.43875151*1.405 = 10.4514459 Megatons of TNT.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Thus is intresting...
I also don't see any problems with the logic, and the building were rather large
The problem isn't the buildings being big - the problem is if the scaled size is inconsistent with the portrayal in the manga.

At this point, what isn't with oda? The man is a god as far as fights and characters go, but not with sizes.

Damage3245 said:
The problem isn't the buildings being big - the problem is if the scaled size is inconsistent with the portrayal in the manga.
True, but then we get another problem, that most other scans that show Alubarna doesn't seen to be drawn to 1:1 scale, as many are over exaggerated or in anycase not accurate (or the less accurate).

Like this one.

Alubarna.png

Or this one.

Alabasta_Infobox.png

Or the one Cin used in his calculation.

Crocodile Sand Storm1

This is the reason i have used that specific scan for pixer scaling, is the only one that does seen to show Alubarna to 1:1 scale, unlike with the others.

Only one of those is from the manga itself, and last one definitely looks more like a diagram than a portrayal of the city.

As I said, I'll give it a proper review later on.

Out of curiosity, what would the value be if the 5km is for the diameter of the whole city?

Damage3245 said:
Out of curiosity, what would the value be if the 5km is for the diameter of the whole city?
5/3.15073032804 = 1.58693366.

Crocodile's Sandstorm = 1.58693366*1.405 = 2.22964179 Megatons of TNT.

Captain Torch said:
I'll be honest, but this calc seems far more reliable:
https://www.narutoforums.org/xfa-blog-entry/sir-crocodile-sand-storm.37036/

It actually scales the size of the palace, and using that finds out how big the storm is.
Where he did get the Rotational Kinetic Energy's result? Cin did the same thing and he has only got 1 Megaton, how exactly he has done to get 37 Megatons?

Still, if i'm can be honest i have hard time to believe the storm would not even be 1 km in size.

Because that would mean the entire city of Alubarna would around the same size as well, but then we return to the problems of before, that a city that too small and that it would have be totally wipe out by the Bomb.

Which doesn't make sense for the reasons i have mention above.

1) Crocodile never stated that the bomb would have destroyed the city and he has reason to doing so, he wanted to rule the country, he wanted both armies death so that no other factions would challenge him, i don't see why he would go overboard.

2) If Alubarna was really smaller than 1 km and the bomb would have generate an explosion of 5 kms, then there was no point to trick royal and rebel armies go fight right in the plaza, he should have only need to stop Vivi and nothing else.

And it wouldn't have matter if most of the armies were fighting in the city's borders, the blast would have still kill them.

3) Crocodile was still in the city, other that even his most valuable and loyal Baroque Works's members such as Mr. 1, he would have survived the blast due of be a logia but i don't see in character to him to let someone who could still serve him well die.

And even if he wanted, he could have risk to lose the Poneglyph thanks of the destruction of the city, lost in it ruins, then he would have in a lot of trouble as he wouldn't have the Pluton to proctect him from the World Government's wrath.

The Rotational energy is wrong in the calc, the KE is the most reliable end.

Also, the city is quite inconsistent in size, so using the palace to scale the storm makes the most sense imo.

That's also why I disagree with Cin's calc

Yeah, I don't really think we should be using the diameter of the bomb's explosion to judge the size of the city.

Captain Torch said:
Also, the city is quite inconsistent in size, so using the palace to scale the storm makes the most sense imo.

That's also why I disagree with Cin's calc
And how you can be sure the palace was also drawn to scale as well? If the city's scaling is never on scale as you suggest, then the palace could suffer of the same problem for what we know.

Damage3245 wrot:
Yeah, I don't really think we should be using the diameter of the bomb's explosion to judge the size of the city.
I disagree, i don't think is a factor that can be ignored.

For the plan to work Crocodile needed to make sure both armies were gather in the plaza and stay here until the bomb was fired on the center of it, so to make sure no one could survive.

This means if the bomb exploded in a different place, like right in the entrance of the city, it wouldn't have completely eliminate those people, at most a few would have died but the majority would have remained.

That must means the city must have a diameter greater than 5 kms, otherwise Crocodile would have no reason trick the armies in the first place, he could have instead just wait for the both armies to clash around the city, start the countdown and then watch the fireworks.

And beside that, Crocodile didn't have any reason to destroy the entire capital, he wanted to rule the country so wipe out the most important city would be quite counterproductive.

Considering all of this, i think is logical to assume the bomb was only powerful enough to kill everyone who was in the plaza, that means both the plaza and the blast must be comparable in size.

Back