• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Conversion Beamer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait is the Matt Ward stuff just a joke or do we consider all of Matt Ward's fluff to be unusable?

Not unusable but a lot of his fluff has been retconned and at many times makes no goddamn sense.

Could we get a good result from Melta-Guns or would the Gauss Rifles be the best choice?

Qawsedf234 said:
Could we get a good result from Melta-Guns or would the Gauss Rifles be the best choice?
Melta-Guns I think are specifically > Plasma stuff, which is directly comparable to Gauss weapons.

Melta-Guns, at least in the Space Marine game, can vaporize Chaos Space Marines. But I imagine that doesn't get to much passed 9-A. Also has some lore statements of vaporizing tanks.

Marines are chunky boys so I'd imagine they would get a bit more than just standard 9-A.

Wait I think it's important to agree on the falling feat before any others because it scales to lower tier space marines and is 8-C.

Yes, well, the thing I posted with the feats is still there if anyone wants to search it. Currently I plan on reading it myself at some point but y'know, if anyone else wants to pick up the slack while I'm dealing with burnout, they're free to do so.

So when are we gonna change the marine profiles? And terminator custodes scale to a kiloton, likely much higher right?

I mean I guess we have the Plasma Pistol feat to scale Termies from but aside from that, nothing really needs to be changed. I feel like there HAS to be better feats to scale them from, but so far I've seen none, so I guess I'll have to take up reading some of this stuff once more.

That thing about Terminator Custodes sounds about right, and of course Dreadnought Custodes would be even tougher. No clue how a Marine Dread and a Custodes Termie would scale tho, if at all, between each other.

Crabwhale said:
I mean I guess we have the Plasma Pistol feat to scale Termies from but aside from that, nothing really needs to be changed.
Nothing needs to be changed? What about tier 6 warhammer? And baseline marines scaling to the 8-C falling calc which would be invalid if gorro has air?

Yes...that's what I was saying. Plasma pistol is the best feat we got, therefore we should rescale everyone that is Tier 6 without other justifications to it.

And so far we've gotten no proof of the latter.

What interpretation do you think makes the least assumptions? Gorro has air, or Gorro has no air? Think about each of the implications both have.

At this current moment? The later. I would appreciate if anyone could find the whole book though. Further context would help, but as it stands, I find that assessment better.

If no one has any objections, I believe it's time to close this thread now.

Every Terminator grade character (barring Custodes Terminators) will be reduced to the High 8-C plasma feat for lack of a better one, and 8-C seems to stay for now.

We are in agreement then.

I'll close this and apply the changes over the next several days. Feel free to hit me up on my wall to clear anything up or discuss any new info that pops up.

Alright, sorry for opening this again guys, but I just realized everyone with Terminator hurting weaponry should scale to the 8-B feat of Primaris Marines (Termies are still > Primaris) and just wanted to give everyone a heads up that that is what they're being changed to now.

I kind of have a problem with that too. He assumes that the meteor speed description is literal because they lit on fire. Pretty sure a space marine would catch on fire before reaching meteor speed. Not sure though, I'm probably wrong but might as well be skeptical

Is your job just to question everything I have?

Well as pointed out by the Perpetual in the comments below, they're described as resembling a meteor consistently enough to warrant it.

But regardless, that doesn't really matter since the high end of the atmosheric speed is the accepted one.

yes

I only saw one excerpt that specifically described the drop as meteor like. Of course theres probably more sources but still. And the only characteristic they share with meteors is that they light on fire. The text even mentions them accelerating much less at terminal velocity.

One piece of text has them described as falling from high orbit (which for an Earth-like planet is at least 35768 kilometers high) and another has the descent described as taking minutes.

Taking the low end re-entry speed of 8km/s, and dividing the high orbit value by it, you get a trip of roughly 4471 seconds, which is nearly 74 and a half minutes. So in other words, even atmospheric speed is an INSANE LOWBALL here, as I am fairly certain descending for minutes would not be described the same as descending from an entire hour and a quarter.

But let's try and make the time scale a bit more reasonable. Some of the text refers to them descending from the very edge of the atmosphere instead. Let's take this as the exosphere. The very edge of that is 10000 kilometers.

Again, dividing that by re-entry speed, and you got 1250 seconds, or just about 21 minutes.

I think this is clearly acceptable when there's such an obvious lowball going on here, because I'm fairly certain when they're referring to "minutes" in the text, they clearly mean single digits and not a nice casual descent.

Dude I just said that from where they're purported to fall, the speed we use already is an insane lowball and that's simple maths.

Fairly certain when the text describes a minutes long descent, it's not saying it's taking a third of an hour to an hour and a quarter. That'd just be ludicrous. No offense but you're really kind of unnecessarily stretching right now.

I know you're saying that's from where they're purported to fall, you were talking about the edge of space. You put it all the way at 10,000 km up, of course you're going to get a really long time. If we use nasa's definition with 50 miles, let's see how fast you'd have to go to make the jump in, say, 8 minutes. Really simple math, i won't even account for falling extremely fast at less dense parts of the atmosphere and then decaying back to terminal velocity as the atmosphere gets denser, which would shorten the time even more. 60 divided by 8 is 7.5. 7.5 times 50 is 375. 375 miles per hour. For a normal dude, 200 mph is terminal velocity. I don't doubt that a space marine could reach 375 mph without reaching terminal velocity. Even if they can't, they would cover significantly more distance at the mid-beginning of the jump since the air isn't nearly as dense. Now honestly I think 50 miles is quite low, it should at least be at the karman line maybe 100 km up. But the karman line is 62 miles up, only 12 more than 50. Wouldn't make a difference big enough to change tiers either way.

Except the other option is them falling from high orbit, which again, is somewhere over 35000 kilometers above the planetary surface, which makes the "edge of the atmosphere" make more sense as the exosphere rather than the Karman Line.

I guess they do jump off beyond the karman line. It's described in the text that he is able to fall for minutes before even reaching the karman line. So I guess you're right, they could be moving extremely fast for a few minutes. At the karman line however, their speed would slow down VERY abruptly. The text even describes how he stops accelerating and settles at terminal velocity.

Well upon further inspection the feat does indeed seem to be bogus.

Upon furtherer inspection, the 8-C Marine feat also appears to be bogus (Gorro clearly had an atmosphere from the little that I read).

On an unrelated note I will now proceed to eat a chainsword, but not before I force the entirety of 40K to deepthroat it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back