• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Conversion Beamer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk, pluto has an atmosphere and it's way smaller than the earth. But I'm starting to see the no air thing as more reasonable.

I also think DMUA is being reasonable. Gorro is just an asteroid with metal, and has gravity at least as strong as Earth's. It's not even a dwarf planet like Pluto or Ceres.

If it has gravity as strong as earth's then it can likely hold an atmosphere at least. Even ceres has an atmosphere albeit a thin one. Still, it would have a huge impact on terminal velocity nonetheless. ceres has an atmosphere because of water sublimating. Don't lots of ork machines have smoke coming out (obviously i can't quickly find a source for something this specific)? if Gorro was used for a long time, then it at least having a thin atmosphere seems reasonable. Also, don't orks have fungi and plants in their bodies? Fungi and plants are definitely aerobic.

Dude, this is hard sc-fi. Orks barely need ANYTHING to survive, and oxygen/gases in general seem to be at the bottom of the priority list.

Well, there is sound which can only be heard with air. Also, there was lots of smoke and other gases and "the reek of scorched metal and rotten food." Pluto has an atmosphere just because of processes that release gas into the atmosphere. If gorro lasted for a long time, these processes shouldve been able to make some sort of atmosphere.

There's sound in the warp and shit, I think it's a thing a lot of writers just don't care about with this verse. There's also how stuff that Orks think should happen just does even if it shouldn't, so if they're talking to each other when it isn't supposed to that's not really any different from red vehicles going faster for no reason.

I think all the stuff combined makes a pretty good case for an atmosphere, for example the "geysers of oily steam." how long did the orks use gorro?

We have no clue. Could be anywhere from a few decades to literal millennia.

Also scorched metal and rotten food will produce smell even if there's not atmosphere. Like, their smell isn't going to magically disappear just because there isn't one.

Apparently space has some sort of smell but you can't smell if there's no air with odor molecules.

Enhanced senses are a thing; smelling in environments with no air isn't that much different than seeing in an environment with no light where photons are not present. Same with the fact that dolphins can literally see sound waves.

Pretty sure ork enhanced senses are just being more sensitive to stuff. In this case, there is no stuff (odor molecules) so they can't sense it.

I don't even think there are any comments on Orks sensing anything. This is a book written from the perspectives of the Marines.

Well, characters that scale to 6-C have to be downgraded to a tier to be determined. Custodes terminators (not sure who else would scale to them) scale to a kiloton due to no-selling a kiloton ordinance macrocannon shot. Still not sure about 8-C calc for Gorro fall (baseline space marines) or the plasma pistol calc (also baseline space marines).

Crabwhale said:
I don't even think there are any comments on Orks sensing anything. This is a book written from the perspectives of the Marines.
Do marines have the ability to smell without air? Is that part of their enhanced senses?

Fan said the Mass Energy Conversion for Conversion Beamer is still calculable, and that mass energy converting a tank would still be Large Island level+

@Jaakubb

Okay. Thank you for the reply. It seems like you do not need my help here for the moment then.

You can notify me if you need my help at a later point.

Jaakubb said:
Well, characters that scale to 6-C have to be downgraded to a tier to be determined. Custodes terminators (not sure who else would scale to them) scale to a kiloton due to no-selling a kiloton ordinance macrocannon shot. Still not sure about 8-C calc for Gorro fall (baseline space marines) or the plasma pistol calc (also baseline space marines).
Plasma pistol calc ain't baseline Marines. Plasma > regular power armor.

Also Custodes Terminators would definitely need a "likely far higher" rating since macrocannons can be far more than just kiloton range, as they are typically capital ship grade weaponry.

Is there any reason why we should believe gorro doesn't have an atmosphere? If it was used for a long time, the processes could form a sort of atmosphere like with pluto (plus the sound and stuff, not the strongest argument but just slightly implies). If it was a short time then probably not.

We're not talking geological time scales here, so for however long it was (hundreds to maybe thousands of years) I don't think it would've been nearly enough to accumulate any sort of relevant amount of gases.

The planet was being ripped apart by gravitational/whatever forces right? That could lead to rapid degassing.

Again, I haven't read the book this is from so I can't comment confidently on that.

Y'know I have an absolutely massive info dump of potential feats to calc but I've gotten far too disinterested to actually search through it. Anybody that wants to is welcomed to ask about it and see it themselves.

What would the calcs upgrade? What are they, building level, small building level? I'm too lazy to go through them all at this moment.

OK but feats are usually quantifiable too. Or is it just that they did difficult stuff (not that that isn't invalid, it could indicate intelligence or resistance to something)?

Some of those feats, you could ask some calc group members to calculate them.

Wait I still think gorro could have an atmosphere due to processes that released gas. Even if it wasn't used for a long time, the gravity holding it together was unstable (according to the text matt provided) so a lot of gas would have been released into the atmosphere as it broke up.

Wait Matt Ward wrote this? Don't Wardian Smurfs scale to Abaddon the Despoiler due to being the best space marines of all time and all the other chapters secretly want to be just like them when they grow up? \s

Skaffolding said:
Wait Matt Ward wrote this? Don't Wardian Smurfs scale to Abaddon the Despoiler due to being the best space marines of all time and all the other chapters secretly want to be just like them when they grow up? \s
Wrote what exactly? The entire contents of the thread?

Jaakubb said:
OK but feats are usually quantifiable too. Or is it just that they did difficult stuff (not that that isn't invalid, it could indicate intelligence or resistance to something)?
I'm not a calc guy myself, but from just a glance most of these feats don't possess the necessary information to get a calc. Not to mention they'd probably get 9-B to 9-A at best. Best feats I found was the one where a Marine gets blasted by a battle cannon and walks it off (he does have an entire side of his face and eye ruined, but that's baby shit for a Marine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back