• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Close-Range Tourney Match 1: Yor Briar vs Riptor

Not without some of difficulty, but yeah

True, but i'm not going to disregarding Riptor's wincon tho, but even so Yor wincon against Riptor are really high right now
In a physical altercation, Yor's superior movement due to sheer anatomy, the skill gap, the instictive reaction, and the enchanced awareness should allow for a very easy strike against her opponent, right? Any attempt to counter attack her with physicals would be met by a slash of her needles, losing the battle. Fire would be avoided with IR.

I just think Yor had the hax to get through.

Don't try and play this card, you will lose.
Great, what's the current argument about the poison then?
Cool story, point is, it's not hitting her, ever.
What? Tha Riptor's fire isn't going to quickly burn through Yor despite having feats of doing exactly that to characters even more durable than her?
And you say that when you act as if Yor's IR was on the level of UI Goku or Baki, saying she can never be hit is a huge overstatement.

If you discredit the fire, I can very well say her poison can be less effective because of Riptor being half-robotic, thus having a body that doesn't follow the general rules of a fully biological creature. Moreover, it could even kill an elephant, but we don't know the amounts needed nor the relate timeframe.

Raise to the mud? You are actually throwing a hissy fit because I called the Riptor's skill feats "mild"? On god? Stop with this silly narrative.
I'm pissed of by you coming here all bossy saying that Riptor can't hold a candle to Yor. This isn't the way to conduct a debate, we had a civil talk so far, let's keep it that way.

Nah. It absolutely is an argument, Yor's skills are on a level that no other KI character has matched as far as the profiles can tell. Years of experience does not correlate to that level of skill, nor can match it, as Yor's skillset is too high even for other assassins in the field with decades of experience, whose members each can wipe out entire military troupes. This single feat is better than Riptor's entire arsenal. Quality over quantity.
You also to throw in there the fact that Yor has fought human assassins, while Riptor has fought stone golems, skeletons, ghosts, ice aliens, killer robots, mummies, demons, people made of plasma and humans with a variety of superpowers and excellent skill.
That alone makes her quite adaptable and experienced.

It's a different set of skills and experiences for characters who behave and fight in different ways, this is going to be a clash of weapons or martial arts, where 1:1 comparisons can sorta be made. It's a match of two fundamentally different characters each having their own strengths and weaknesses.

Since she was a child, the essence of combat has been drilled into her brain, and murder appears to be the only thing she is good at as a result. She is regarded as especially powerful, even amongst the Garden, an assassin group whose members are each capable of wiping out an entire military troop
I'd argue this isn't even the best of Yor's feats and the same applies to basically all Ultratech creations.

And? Is the argument, "Riptor has dealt with them before"? Because it's not an argument. Yor still has the advantage on that department and a skill level which she has to better use said advantage better than these characters did.
You mean the way she ues her acrobatics? They are indeed superhuman an extremely good, but Riptor having dealt with similar movements is totally an argument, as she isn't going to be dumbofunded by those movements.

How about the hypnosis?
we don't know to long Yor has to look at Riptor's eyes to get hypnotized
I thought we had reached an agreement on that.
If Yor were to look into Riptor' eyes, she'd be hypnotized.
We don't know the exact timeframe, but I think we have enough reasons to think it's very fast if not immediate. The lore says "never look into her eyes otherwise you'll get eaten". The entire source is meant to be an in-depth nstruction manual, it gives details on how much she eats, the composition of her shit, several explanations on her behavior and more. If the hypnosis were to take long, it could very well hve said "don't stare too long" or "not more than x seconds", instead of "never look into her eyes".

Of course we don't know if that's going to happen, but Yor might want to study Riptor, or keep her on check during a pause where both take a moment to think about their and the opponent's next move.
After all, looking into the eyes of the opponent is part (not all, mind you) of what you do in a fight.

Wait really? That leave to the range boost then
About this, many of Riptor's techniques are based on her run, and she is adapted at fighting while running, so it totally isn't a useless boost.

I still don't believe Yor's able to literally dodge everything, and a hit from Riptor's claws or fire is going to deal serious damage, and even other strikes (tail or headbutts) would have a certain level of effectinevess because of stats.

Personally I'm voting incon.

What? Tha Riptor's fire isn't going to quickly burn through Yor despite having feats of doing exactly that to characters even more durable than her?
And you say that when you act as if Yor's IR was on the level of UI Goku or Baki, saying she can never be hit is a huge overstatement.

If you discredit the fire, I can very well say her poison can be less effective because of Riptor being half-robotic, thus having a body that doesn't follow the general rules of a fully biological creature. Moreover, it could even kill an elephant, but we don't know the amounts needed nor the relate timeframe.
Misinterpret my reply and ride it all around town, why dont'cha?

I'm not disregarding the fire, I'm saying the attacks are simple enough that Yor can just dodge out of the way. It would work better if the battle was in 2-D like Riptor's game is, but nah, three fire blasts in a straight line? Nope.

Yor's IR is good. Her enhanced awareness makes it a little better, no surprise attacks. Her skill level when dealing with attacks with complex and unknown patterns like a weapon she has never seen before makes it really better. She ain't getting hit by these fire attacks because of these reasons.
Also, naturally, you can't disregard the poison. If it kills an elephant, a much smaller animal such as Riptor would be killed very quickly.

Being half robotic doesn't make your immune system any stronger nor does it make you lack organs, or organisms capable of being killed by the poison.
I'm pissed of by you coming here all bossy saying that Riptor can't hold a candle to Yor. This isn't the way to conduct a debate, we had a civil talk so far, let's keep it that way.
You can get as pissy as you wish, it is none of my business.
Saying X Character is greatly superior to Y Character isn't uncivilized, stop being a crybaby and reply to the arguments made. Insistence on such pointless matters and emotional episodes over a tame comment about a fictional character are not a good look for a staff such as yourself.
You also to throw in there the fact that Yor has fought human assassins, while Riptor has fought stone golems, skeletons, ghosts, ice aliens, killer robots, mummies, demons, people made of plasma and humans with a variety of superpowers and excellent skill.
That alone makes her quite adaptable and experienced.

It's a different set of skills and experiences for characters who behave and fight in different ways, this is going to be a clash of weapons or martial arts, where 1:1 comparisons can sorta be made. It's a match of two fundamentally different characters each having their own strengths and weaknesses.
Absolutely not, no. These set of experiences that will not play a part in this match are not relevant in any way, because having experience on multiple fields of fighting styles does not compare when the opponent has martial arts on a level that is completely out of your league. Quantity and variety of experience does not close the gap.

I'm talking skill in hand to hand combat.
Skill with dealing with ranged attacks.

Yor is unfathomably superior in these aspects, the only aspects that matter to a one-on-one fight where both have just these abilities. You waste time by bringing up things like, "well, Riptor knows how to fight a skeleton better, so they just have different strengths" which is such a non-argument it hurts.

Can you make an argument as to how said "exotic strengths" will play a factor on the match, and how exactly it would counteract Yor's superiority in hand-to-hand combat, assassination techniques, agility, acrobatics and overall skill? No? Then do not bring it up.
I'd argue this isn't even the best of Yor's feats and the same applies to basically all Ultratech creations.
Yor is considered a legend by people who, at the lowest rank, are capable of pulling that off.
You mean the way she ues her acrobatics? They are indeed superhuman an extremely good, but Riptor having dealt with similar movements is totally an argument, as she isn't going to be dumbofunded by those movements.
Again, missing the point.
I'm saying Yor's movement and acrobatics are superior and that would give her an edge on the battle.
Having dealt with it in the past doesn't Ctrl+Z the advantage.

I'm not disregarding the fire, I'm saying the attacks are simple enough that Yor can just dodge out of the way. It would work better if the battle was in 2-D like Riptor's game is, but nah, three fire blasts in a straight line? Nope.
The characters live in a 3D world, so the blast can go in a straight line as well as in any other line. An arch might not be the most effective against Yor, but Riptor can emit if from her mouth like a flamethrower, spit close-ranged blast, burp fire on the ground and so on, she isn't limited at the mortar version.

Yor's IR is good. Her enhanced awareness makes it a little better, no surprise attacks. Her skill level when dealing with attacks with complex and unknown patterns like a weapon she has never seen before makes it really better. She ain't getting hit by these fire attacks because of these reasons.

Also, naturally, you can't disregard the poison. If it kills an elephant, a much smaller animal such as Riptor would be killed very quickly.
Being half robotic doesn't make your immune system any stronger nor does it make you lack organs, or organisms capable of being killed by the poison.
Not really, there are thousands of poisons with different effects, and size isn't just the deciding factor, it's all about how a certain poison affects the victim's body.
Obviously we don't know the specifics of Yor's poison because it's useless for the narrative, but having a half-mechanical body might dull it.
Like, it could be stopped while flowing in the bloodstream, or could target parts that are instead replaced by nanomachines and such. Riptor does have organs and a brain, so a neurotoxin would work, for example, but depending the point of injection or else, it could be hindered by mechanical parts.

I'm not saying the poison won't work at all or not be lethal, but we can't disregard the possibility of it being obstructed by an unorthodox physiology.

You can get as pissy as you wish, it is none of my business.
Saying X Character is greatly superior to Y Character isn't uncivilized, stop being a crybaby and reply to the arguments made. Insistence on such pointless matters and emotional episodes over a tame comment about a fictional character are not a good look for a staff such as yourself.
I've been replying to the arguments for days and I never once directly downplayed Yor nor spited her.
I got pissed because of your behavior, there are better ways to express your ideas.

This was meant to say that Riptor's just very adaptable to several kinds of situations, and isn't going to be thrown off so easily.
There have been arguments on Yor dealing with an opponent that fights in a way she's never dealt with before, so I don't see why it shouldn't apply to Riptor too given her past.
Having managed to hit or keep up with characters who can teleport, fly, go invisible, sink into the ground, turn into water or flocks of crows, move through portals, shapeshift or perform a variety of acrobatics movements, is a hint to her overall capabilities.

Yor is considered a legend by people who, at the lowest rank, are capable of pulling that off.
I mean, Ultratech's the most powerful military force in the world, and Riptor sits at the top with ARIA, Fulgore and Cinder, below them there are armies of foot soldiers, other robots and other stalkers (Riptor's kind).

But I don't want to drag this on, as it really doesn't serve neither part.

Again, missing the point.
I'm saying Yor's movement and acrobatics are superior and that would give her an edge on the battle.
Having dealt with it in the past doesn't Ctrl+Z the advantage.
Never said that, I meant to say that Riptor won't be caught totally unprepared.

Me, Witch and Charmander already did it.
Incon for me, and Yor for them.

Velox was deciding between incon and Yor.

Both are getting disqualified because they will oneshot 99% of the tournament participants.

We gave our positions, its up to you guys who you agree with more.

I'm seeing more incons to yor votes, so I think I'll just flip a coin now. The one who submits Yor gets to call it, heads or tails

Let the votes continue tho, so this can be added to profiles.

Currently it's 2 for Yor and 4 for incon (or 3? Idk if Cimafranca was serious or not)

Is the tourney a double elimination? Just in case
Well that was an fun debate tbh, grats on Saman to advanced
It's not like i'm going to carrying Yor again all alone in this tourney

Back