• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Characters made from Abstract material.

I'm making this thread because I think our abstract existence page is lacking. There needs to be an inclusion or at least a 4th type of abstraction for characters whom are made from abstract material.

Characters that are made from abstract material. These characters don't embody a specific concept, they aren't link to a specific concept, and they aren't the concept. But they are made of abstract material.

A character who is made up of love, up of good, up of evil, up of math, up of thoughts, etc. I know non-corporeal can be used for these characters, but to my opinion it's not necessarily good enough on it's own. There is a difference between a character who is non-corporeal because they're a soul and a character that is non-corporeal because they're made from pure math.

I feel like we need to add this distinction. What do other people think?

What exactly is abstract material?

Our current definition for type 1 abstract existence doesn't include only concepts, even possibilities qualifies, also thoughts, anything that is abstarct counts, so don't know if what you're suggesting is necessary.

This is just type 1.

I think people sometimes mistake what the abstract existence standards are due to what the conceptual manipulation standards are.

Abstract material would just be an abstraction. Like Math is abstract, so a character that is made of pure math, would be made of abstract material.

If Type 1 covers this, then I think adding, "characters made of abstract material" can clear a lot of confusion. I have been told that since a character doesn't embody a concept or the abstraction it would'nt count.

To use the math character as another example, someone would say that Character A doesn't count as abstract existence because they're not Math itself, nor do they embody math nor are they the avatar of math. They're just made out of math.

Well the problem with trying to include "abstract material" is that there is no such standard material in fiction.

Someone who exists purely as love would qualify for Type 1, as he/she is purely abstract. If you want a label for a "material" that is made out of an idea or metaphysical substance, it would just be a form of non-corporeal physiology.

"Material" may just have just been said for convenience sake tbf, to describe someone made out of abstract ideas. Like how you sometimes describe A non-existent character as "existing" in a state of non-existence.

I mean "existing" in non-existence is about as counter-intuitive as it seems unless you're talking about our Type 1 of Nonexistent Physiology.

Type 2 was a mistake and shouldn't exist

Yes, i use material very loosely. There isn't a distinct specific abstract material. In your example, Waffle, the abstract "material" would be in that case love.

If a character is made of abstract stuff it's a type 1 abstract.

I'm not exactly sure how a character is supposed to be "made of math". If you mean that they participate in the abstraction or something, it just depends from the character itself being abstract or not.

You should judge from the other informations available about them, for example if a character is "made of dreams", being non-corporeal is supporting evidence towards a type 1 abstraction, if they are tangible it's evidence against it

Imagine a place where things like negative meter long roads roads exist, where, since the place isn't real, the road can be contained without violating logic that it would in the physical world and the road can exist as "subtraction of distance". And this place also has creatures inhabiting it.

Btw this has nothing to do with the OP, I just made this up a while back and was wondering if this was a good way to introduce type 1 abstracts..@Kal Is it?

I guess? I'm not really familiar with the "best way to introduce a power" topic tbh

Back