• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Changing the + requirements for tiering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The conclusion is that if you're significantly stronger than someone who is close to the halfway point of a tier, you can upscale said character to the halfway point and give them the "+"

And what do we define as "close"? The difference between baseline and the halfway point is pretty small and I can see lots of people pushing this point for characters who are classified for feats quite small compared to the halfway point.

I think people above were saying above that a 1.5x difference and lower, which seems reasonable to me, especially if it's lower than a 1.25x difference

Considering most halfway points are drawn in 5.5 (many tiers ranges between 1 to 10), that means anything higher than 4.4 would get a +.

I honestly think this should be provided in case the difference is high enough, like having a pretty big scaling chain fully supported. Otherwise, this will get out of control since this is harder to define and revise than actual tier jumps.

I don't think that it's that much different from full tier jumps, it's pretty much exactly the same, but with the halfway point of every tier being another checkpoint for upscaling, so if a character is 500 Gigatons and you're far above them, then it should be fine to upscale them to 550 Gigatons which is a 1.1x increase and is when the "+" is added

That seems reasonable to me

1.1 is acceptable.

I think we should also discuss how we treat characters who backscale from baseline people. Either we give them the + or not.

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
The conclusion is that if you're significantly stronger than someone who is close to the halfway point of a tier, you can upscale said character to the halfway point and give them the "+"
This

Calaca was talking how this could still turn into a mess. It's best to wait for everyone else to say what they think

Everyone already did agree to this above BlackeJan, most of which were staff members, I was just trying to answer your question about what the conclusions were, this thread was already settled

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
I don't think there should be a specific number either, but if it's less than a 1.5x increase, that's more solid
I agree with that a specific number seems inappropriate. We need to get this change done very soon though. Is some staff member willing to handle it?

A "+" can only be added without a direct calculation, if there is one extremely close to the arithmetic mean, and characters scale above the calculated feat by a wide margin, like being able to defeat enemies on such levels with a single casual attack.

This is what the text will look like if we remove the specific number part. Is this okay?

>can only be added without a direct calculation

This part sounds weird. Maybe "can be added with or without a direct calculation"? Or just omit this part.

Ah I kinda understand what AKM meant now. So I suggest:

"A "+" can be added if there is a direct calculation or if there is one extremely close to the arithmetic mean and characters scale above the calculated feat by a wide margin, for example being able to defeat enemies on such levels with a single casual attack."

"A "+" can be added if there is a direct calculation or if there exists one extremely close to the arithmetic mean, and characters scale above the calculated feat by a wide margin, for example being able to defeat enemies on such levels with a single casual attack."

I made some very minor sentence adjustments. It seems fine now.

Just to clarify, how close the gap between a character's AP and the "+" sign need to be in order for other characters to get the plus sign by scaling way above that character?

Well, extremely close, just like we do for tier jumps. There is no defined gap here.

Low-Ends and High-ends are preferred to be treated the same way as we treat that for speed ratings that use "+" and doesn't always require calculations to have (ex: reliable statements that can give high-end ratings and etc.).

Thank you for the help. Tell us here when you are done.

Thank you. That seems fine. Should we close this thread then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back