• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Celebrations of Real-World Holidays in News and Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
Hello all. This thread is intended to tackle a singular issue, something of a continuation from past discussions: whether or not we ought to allow users (staff or otherwise) to post IRL holiday celebration posts in News & Announcements, such as Easter, Christmas, Ramadan, or New Years. If you all will remember, it was previously decided to disallow posts about real world events such as celebrity deaths or the ending of a notable series; it is important to remember that this post solely intends to tackle holidays.

Some of the senior staff have discussed this, and the conclusion is largely in favor of allowing such posts. If the majority agrees, then we would likely have to slightly modify our description of the board to clarify that such posts are allowed.

Allow Holiday Celebratory Posts (10): Bambu (epic), Crabwhale, DarkDragonMedeus, Qawsedf234, Antvasima, LordGriffin1000, GyroNutz, Starter_Pack, Andytrenom, Propellus

Disallow Holiday Celebratory Posts:

Neutral:

Last edited:
I also agree with allowing celebration threads to be posted for major festivities, but think that they should only be posted by bureaucrats or administrators, to keep the announcements more official and avoid that our news and announcements thread is used for less sensible purposes.

All other members should be extremely free to ask us to post such threads though, and we should accommodate them as long as it makes sense.

So, what do we about holidays that take place on different times for different people?

For example, Catholic Easter takes place a whole week earlier than Orthodox Easter.

I am not sure, but I suppose that we can either celebrate the "western culture" versions or both separately.

I don't particularly care about setting up officially organized and scheduled announcements. I think it's fine if someone wants to make a general Easter one, or have one for both, just so long as there isn't too much spamming of the board. What we've been doing already is pretty good.

Yes, I think that our traditional approach has worked well so far, but it seems best for others to request that our bureaucrats or super moderators handle posting these celebration threads, so our news and announcements forum does not risk to turn into a free for all.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that our traditional approach has worked well so far, but it seems best to for others to request that our bureaucrats or super moderators handle posting these celebration threads, so our news and announcements forum does not risk to turn into a free for all.
That's extremely fair, my post was mostly addressing your post immediately before mine, regarding holidays from other cultures. I don't think we need to worry too much about them, as if a staff member wants to make it (or if a user would like to ask a staff member to make it), then it can be made. I'd like to think we don't need extreme rules about what holidays do and don't get a thread, I think we can all just use common sense.

I'm fine with allowing holiday posts, particularly with the condition that only admins or bureaucrats should make these posts.

Frankly, this feels like the best way to have it feel like the website itself is celebrating the holidays, rather than just some random users.

That's extremely fair, my post was mostly addressing your post immediately before mine, regarding holidays from other cultures. I don't think we need to worry too much about them, as if a staff member wants to make it (or if a user would like to ask a staff member to make it), then it can be made. I'd like to think we don't need extreme rules about what holidays do and don't get a thread, I think we can all just use common sense.
Yes, that is fine with me, as long as we restrict it to our highest ranked staff members to keep it more official. We can draw the line at administrators if you wish, but I would prefer to continue to personally handle our Christmas and New Year celebration threads.

I think there's sufficient staff agreement at this point, now it'd be a matter of rewording the current description of the subforum accordingly.

Okay. Is anybody here willing to write a draft text for our new forum description?

Would this work?

"Our News and Announcements subforum is intended to feature crucial site-wide announcements, ranging from new staff memberships to changes in indexing standards, or other important topics that directly concern our wiki and community as a whole. Topics regarding deaths of prominent actors or authors, major recent entertainment media releases, or similar should usually be posted in our General Discussion subforum, as they do not directly concern the running of our wiki in itself.

Threads to celebrate major global festivities are acceptable when posted by our bureaucrats or administrators, but the ones for Christmas or New Year's Eve should preferably only be handled by bureaucrats.

Any threads created to incite drama or cause other damage to this community should quickly be deleted or closed by our staff."

Hmm. I personally prefer my version. My apologies.

Hadn't even noticed you made that, to be entirely honest. I prefer anything but my own handiwork.

Okay. No problem. Would my text draft be acceptable to publish then?

Thank you. I am very busy now, and do not want to mess with our forum settings when I am stressed out and distracted, but please remind me about it later. 🙏

Thank you. I am very busy now, and do not want to mess with our forum settings when I am stressed out and distracted, but please remind me about it later. 🙏
Hey Ant, remember to do the forum thing.

Seriously someone should get on that, I have TERRIBLE short term memory.

Okay. I will do so.

Thank you to everybody who helped out here. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back